Which Media Streaming Devices for Daughters Room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-13-2014, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Which Media Streaming Devices for Daughters Room?

Im fairly new to media servers, I have used a PS3 for netflix and youtube for quite a while.. We will be moving our old 32'' LCD to my daughters room and Im looking for a rather simple to use media server. I was originally thinking about a basic wifi blu ray player cause I didnt know about all the other devices like Apple TV and chromecast etc. She basically only uses Netflix so thats something to consider.

Thanks Folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-13-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Blu-Ray player would be the best way.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-13-2014, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
If all she is going to do is stream online contents (Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Videos, etc...) then a Roku 3 may be better than a BD player if you want a straight simple solution.

If you have a strong wireless 2.4GHz N signal in the bedroom and your daughter uses an Android smartphone, then a $35 Chromecast is a good inexpensive solution. Just download the Chromecast app to pair the smartphone with the Chromecast device and then use the Netflix app to cast to the TV. Netflix and Google partnered to develop the Chromecast and so the integration of the two is seamless. The smartphone essentially becomes a remote control.

Still Learning
post #4 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post
If you have a strong wireless 2.4GHz N signal in the bedroom and your daughter uses an Android smartphone, then a $35 Chromecast is a good inexpensive solution.
I agree. My family uses Chromecast all the time for streaming Netflix and Youtube videos. If she also wants to cast local media she could also get a media player app like Allcast from the Google Playstore. Allcast supports casting of local audio and video files.

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #5 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Chromecast uses Android devices (tablet and/or phone) as the remote control...if she doesn't have that than the Roku's very simple menu choice with remote is your best bet. I have both, but I think for the technical newbies the Roku devices have a slight advantage because they use a good old fashion remote rather then relaying on a tablet/phone to act as the remote.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Chromecast uses Android devices (tablet and/or phone) as the remote control...if she doesn't have that than the Roku's very simple menu choice with remote is your best bet. I have both, but I think for the technical newbies the Roku devices have a slight advantage because they use a good old fashion remote rather then relaying on a tablet/phone to act as the remote.
Actually Chromecast works with iPhones and other devices as well according to their website:

"Chromecast works with devices you already own, including Android tablets and smartphones, iPhones®, iPads®, Chrome for Mac® and Chrome for Windows®. Browse for what to watch, control playback, and adjust volume using your device. You won't have to learn anything new."

But you may be right - we don't have any Roku's so I can't comment on its relative ease-of-use but, as I mentioned earlier, Chromecast works fine for us.

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #7 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got wifi on one tv, Apple TV, 2 Roku's, Xbox 360 and a PS3. My vote is the Roku 3. It just works. It's simple. They never give me any problems at all. The worst is the wifi enabled tv. It freezes up to where you have to unplug the tv and plug it back in. The game systems are more complicated. The Apple TV tends to buffer and the only thing that stops it is to unplug it and plug it back in.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

No smart phones or tablets for her.. we got her a Kindle Fire for Christmas a couple years ago and it didnt end well. Basically Netflix is the main concern.

I have a pretty good handle on how blu ray players work, but im somewhat in the dark about what the Roku 3 can offer? We currently do not have cable and and no intentions on getting cable. Is the Roku capable of "playing" live broadcast? Say if I wanted to take it to the living room to watch football (the only live broadcast I get excited about other then the weather channel and sometimes CNN)

A basic WiFi blu ray player still seems like an option for the simple fact it has some of more essential apps and can play dvd and blu rays thus eliminating her current dvd player. Trying to get my ducks in a row cause I will be taking a trip out of town Thursday and swinging in Best Buy to pick up Vizio M 60" and figured I mise well get a media player while im in store.

Last edited by SnoPro700; 07-14-2014 at 08:40 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 56
If you're going to put a tv in her room then you may want to add some control to it. (we learned through experience when we found ours surfing and watching at 3 am in the morning)

I have a separate router branched off from the main router (the 'adult' router) specifically for the kids. It's an older router (linksys) and I keep it because I haven't found anything that comes close in terms of time control. It allows me to program exactly what times (multiple times) during the days they are allowed to access the net. I can set both "allowed" and "denied" times. I have only seen this on the older lynksys routers though. As far as I know the new ones don't have anything this detailed in control

post #10 of 13 Old 07-15-2014, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoPro700 View Post
Is the Roku capable of "playing" live broadcast? Say if I wanted to take it to the living room to watch football (the only live broadcast I get excited about other then the weather channel and sometimes CNN)

A basic WiFi blu ray player still seems like an option for the simple fact it has some of more essential apps and can play dvd and blu rays thus eliminating her current dvd player. Trying to get my ducks in a row cause I will be taking a trip out of town Thursday and swinging in Best Buy to pick up Vizio M 60" and figured I mise well get a media player while im in store.
No on live broadcast, at least not easily or in good quality...based on your last paragraph, your thinking of a stream BR/DVD player with Netflix app is your easiest option.

As for the Roku, you can see what channels are available for it here https://www.roku.com/now-playing
post #11 of 13 Old 07-15-2014, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Im fairly new to media servers, I have used a PS3 for netflix and youtube for quite a while.. We will be moving our old 32'' LCD to my daughters room and Im looking for a rather simple to use media server. I was originally thinking about a basic wifi blu ray player cause I didnt know about all the other devices like Apple TV and chromecast etc. She basically only uses Netflix so thats something to consider.

Thanks Folks.
I do own the Apple TV for local media and stuff gotten off Itunes and Rkou for thing's twitlive.tv and NASA TV as Nasa TV isn't carried by Cox.

It may sound wired as I pay for Hulu Plus I don't like streaming one of the reasons I stayed with blockbuster vs going to netficks and their 5 to 6 disk plans costs much much much less then Neficks and Gamefly put together and I loved getting my movies 28 days faster. I thing everybody do before they sing up for something like Hulu Plus make sure thier's cap on your ISP. AT&T has yelled at us over 1,000 times over their 150GB Cap. So we moved form 1.5 MBS DSL to 15.5 MBS Fiber internet with on caps form the city of Lafayette, La that's why on places like twit.tv I have been renaming you look at Government Fiber if offered. Scott Wilkinson may what to maneind this with Leo as it's that inportit.

This is something else Scott Wilkinson my what to talk about me an dad who was visting resaw the one with guy form SurgeX and told me he needs on show on grounding and boding.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-15-2014, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Barney that is some good advice ha. Shes one to fall asleep watching TV, Ill have to set a timer on the darn thing.

Bac, what would be the benefits of going with a standard blu ray player? Other then its an all in one solution so to speak. This Roku 3 seems neat but im still somewhat clueless of what it can offer. Are their certain blu ray players to consider over others?

Ease of use is a big factor. Probably more so then features and capability.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-16-2014, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Barney that is some good advice ha. Shes one to fall asleep watching TV, Ill have to set a timer on the darn thing.

Bac, what would be the benefits of going with a standard blu ray player? Other then its an all in one solution so to speak. This Roku 3 seems neat but im still somewhat clueless of what it can offer. Are their certain blu ray players to consider over others?

Ease of use is a big factor. Probably more so then features and capability.
I'm not familar with using a BR Player as a steaming device...I did just take a quick look at one on Walmart's site and it seems to offer access to some of the more popular streaming services...of course the plus is that you get to also play DVD/BR movies too.

The Roku is just a streaming box, but has quite a bit of channel selection and the channels are growing monthly with Roku as it's considered an industry standard, many of the channels are free and don't require paid subscription.

The Roku menu system is extremely easy to use, I can't comment on the DVD/BR player, plus I'm sure they're all different anyways. You could just grab a Roku at Walmart...see how it works out and if it doesn't meet your needs return it for a DVD/BR streaming player.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page