What is your opinion on where my slow-down is in my system? - thanks - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By bac522
  • 1 Post By mifronte
  • 1 Post By tdallen
  • 1 Post By bac522
  • 1 Post By fmedrano1977
  • 1 Post By bac522

post #1 of 19 Old 07-13-2014, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What is your opinion on where my slow-down is in my system? - thanks

Hello,
I am working on getting 1080 streaming in the home. I have been happy streaming my wired Xbox 360 in 720 but since I bought a GoPro, I am itching to stream the 1080. What should I upgrade 1st? Where am I getting my major lag issues from?

1) I have a Panasonic 50 - plasma that maxes out at 720. I know the TV will only play in 720...I assume there is lag created when a 1080 vid is selected.

2) PC...I have an older PC (wired of course) in which local media is stored external drives (USB 2) - Do you think the USB 2 is slowing everything down? This is just a standard run of the mill pc and not a media server. Should I build a media server 1st?
3) I just bought a Roku 3 as a cheap fix for this...It plays the 1080 but buffers quite a bit with the output to 720. I also moved a couple of files to the internal HD to eliminate the USB from the questions. Again, the 1080 files play as 720 but buffer quite a bit.

I was looking at LG and Samsung 'Smart' TV's today....would that be the place to start? (Running Plex?) What is my best plan of attack here? What would you guys do? Also looking to upgrade my AVR to an HDMI stitching model to help streamline everything (probably Denon x3000 for zone 2 capabilities). Thank you VERY much!

Last edited by MontyTheLab; 07-13-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-13-2014, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
The problem is most likely your switch and/or connectivity through wireless..what type of device connects everything together? Network connectivity is generally the weakest link when it comes to buffering problems, it would be unusual if any of the end devices are causing the slow down, even the Panny running 720p resolution won't cause buffering.
MontyTheLab likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-13-2014, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

I actually have everything hard wired w cat 6... I can play 720 well with Xbox. Trying to play 1080 gives me issues. I know Xbox 360 doesn't do well north of 720 so I am looking for best priced options to play my 1080 gopro files. Just wondering if I will be forced to replace well...everything ...thanks for your help
post #4 of 19 Old 07-13-2014, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Roku 3 did better w 1080 but I wasn't happy w buffering...
post #5 of 19 Old 07-13-2014, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is your home network 1 Gigabit? Basically are the switches and NIC on the computer 1 Gigabit? I would guess the bottleneck is your computer NIC or data bus. How old is this computer?
MontyTheLab likes this.

Still Learning
post #6 of 19 Old 07-13-2014, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

You know, I am not sure....I 'think' I added the card maybe 4-5 yrs ago but I will look at that. It's a 8yr old Gateway with a crappy integrated video card but I never thought that would matter but maybe it does? I need to check the nic speed....humm, never had to check that before. Maybe I can get some info on the nic in the device manager?....
post #7 of 19 Old 07-13-2014, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

I think the desktop is about 8 years old give or take...
post #8 of 19 Old 07-14-2014, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Right mouse click on the task bar and select Start Task Manager. Click on the Network tab. Look at the table at the bottom of network adaptors, and see what the link speed is for your active connection - Local Area Connection if you are wired or Wireless Network Connection if you are wireless. 100Mbps or less would be entirely possible for an 8 year old PC, and that probably won't be enough for 1080p content.
MontyTheLab likes this.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-14-2014, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyTheLab View Post
Roku 3 did better w 1080 but I wasn't happy w buffering...
Is the Roku 3 hardwired or are you using wi-fi? Even 100Mbps network should be fine unless you have multiple devices trying to access the same server at the same time.
MontyTheLab likes this.
post #10 of 19 Old 07-14-2014, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I actually have everything hard wired w cat 6... I can play 720 well with Xbox. Trying to play 1080 gives me issues. I know Xbox 360 doesn't do well north of 720 so I am looking for best priced options to play my 1080 gopro files. Just wondering if I will be forced to replace well...everything ...thanks for your help
When I first started the whole media streaming scene, I would use the XBOX360 and had no problem playing 1080 stereo mp4s on it.

Sent from my Nexus 7
MontyTheLab likes this.
post #11 of 19 Old 07-14-2014, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

A-Ha! It's a 100Mbps! Looks like something cheap to upgrade and see what happens?? Yes, the Roku 3 was hard wired when I tried it yesterday. I was going to return it (with the idea that I might buy a smart TV) but I will hang on to it if the NIC upgrade speeds things up. I wouldn't actually mind still using the Xbox 360 for now. - well, until I keep reading posts around this forum and get the itch to spend $$ (haha).

What are your thoughts on USB 2 vs 3? - Will that bog things down or is that really a non issue? (I prefer to store my video files on external HD's)

Thanks!
post #12 of 19 Old 07-15-2014, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What are your thoughts on USB 2 vs 3? - Will that bog things down or is that really a non issue? (I prefer to store my video files on external HD's)

Thanks!
Non-issue...USB 2.0 throughput speed is 480Mbps, almost 5x faster than the 100Mbps network. Upgrading the NIC's will help where you can, but sometimes just bad cables are the culprits. Look through the statistics of some of the devices and see if you have errors anywhere. If you upgrade the NIC's you will also need to upgrade the Switch and/or wireless access point to a gig port too.
MontyTheLab likes this.
post #13 of 19 Old 07-15-2014, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Yes...I was also thinking about that. Thanks again for the tips.
post #14 of 19 Old 07-15-2014, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
A-Ha! It's a 100Mbps! Looks like something cheap to upgrade and see what happens?? Yes, the Roku 3 was hard wired when I tried it yesterday. I was going to return it (with the idea that I might buy a smart TV) but I will hang on to it if the NIC upgrade speeds things up.

That all depends what PCI expansion slots your computer supports and what other PCI devices are installed. A PC that is 8 years old may only have PCI which will put you near the 1 Gigabit speed, but assuming the rest of your computer data bus speeds can keep up.

Still Learning
post #15 of 19 Old 07-15-2014, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You should not have buffering even on a 100Mbps LAN. Updating to Gig E may or may not solve your problem. On your PC, you may want to check/re-install your network adaptor drivers (realtek?).

Old routers (or improper router settings) at the heart of a LAN can be the cause of buffering. If its time for an upgrade, it would make sense to buy a Gigabit router, but that doesn't necessarily mean you need to upgrade everything else at once. The greatest benefit of Gigabit LAN is doing large file transfers between machines, and not necessarily internet streaming, which is rarely >5Mbps. First, you might try checking the firmware version on your router and update it if old.

If your Roku buffering is limited to Youtube and/or NETFLIX, it might be your ISP that is the problem.

Last edited by DanPackMan; 07-15-2014 at 10:04 AM.
post #16 of 19 Old 07-16-2014, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I guess I will just upgrade what I can and then see what kind of result I see. I do however have a brand new router from Comcast (days old) that I need to check the speeds on. (I hope it's a Gigabit) Will also look at the drivers as well. Thanks for the tip on that....

I actually returned the ROKU (for now) to see what kind of performance upgrade I get from the Xbox 360 (local files only). The Roku 3 would basically force me to upgrade my AVR which would be the Denon X3000...I would ideally prefer to now spend the cash yet on that.
post #17 of 19 Old 07-16-2014, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Looks like the router is cool... (4 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports)
post #18 of 19 Old 07-18-2014, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A 100 mb wired LAN connection has more than enough bandwidth to stream any normal video content up to the fastest Blu-Ray files.

I would suspect your 8 year old computer may be the problem. What is the processor and OS? Playing modern video files encoded as VC-1 or H264 take much more processing power and will usually need at least a dual core processor. My Laptop with a dual core at 1.7 GHz plays H264 HD files just fine. Also your OS may be running to many programs and not able to keep up with the streaming file.

Mike T
post #19 of 19 Old 07-21-2014, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
1 X 1 = Gigabit

Quote:
Looks like the router is cool... (4 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports)
The four port "gigabit switches" you typically see are not designed to forward packets at a full 1 GB rate when multiple video streams are involved. Total throughput for the switch falls off rapidly on the cheaper switches. It's not "false advertising" it's just that the switch designs are built around more mundane computer data traffic. Not HD video streams.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdmi , media pc , Roku

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page