Xbox One or PS4 - Either usable as a basic streamer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-14-2014, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Xbox One or PS4 - Either usable as a basic streamer?

I've been an avid streamer for some time now, and I actually started on the PS3 before "graduating" to dedicated streaming boxes. (Boxee Box on the main TV, WDTV SMP in the bedroom.) I recently refreshed the entertainment center with the two new consoles (and am still mighty pissed they don't support 3D Blu Rays!) and wonder if I can use them in some easy way for streaming.

No, I don't expect it to be as good as my dedicated streamers. But this is more for ease of use for the wife and kids when I'm not around. The Boxee can just plain be flaky sometimes, they still don't know how to switch to it, and it would be easier if we just used one box for most everything.

Anyone done any streaming with either? What's the experience been like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-15-2014, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
there's nothing you can do with a PS4, the Xbox One only has the ability to use the "play to" function from a windows PC.

that's all you get, so this is close to nothing for the X1 and absolutely nothing for the PS4.

Forget about both if you want to do streaming (video and audio).
post #3 of 3 Old 07-15-2014, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post
I've been an avid streamer for some time now, and I actually started on the PS3 before "graduating" to dedicated streaming boxes. (Boxee Box on the main TV, WDTV SMP in the bedroom.) I recently refreshed the entertainment center with the two new consoles (and am still mighty pissed they don't support 3D Blu Rays!) and wonder if I can use them in some easy way for streaming.

No, I don't expect it to be as good as my dedicated streamers. But this is more for ease of use for the wife and kids when I'm not around. The Boxee can just plain be flaky sometimes, they still don't know how to switch to it, and it would be easier if we just used one box for most everything.

Anyone done any streaming with either? What's the experience been like?
Both are super boxes streaming thing's like Hulu Plus and viewing Blu-Rays so if your talking about that it's a draw there's no winner or loser in that case.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page