Sony FMP-X10 owners thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum
First ... 10  11  12 13  14  ... Last
Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming > Sony FMP-X10 owners thread
LeeSoFl's Avatar LeeSoFl 01:22 PM 07-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
I just now tried to buy "Bad Teacher' which is in with 'all movies'. When I tried to buy it a screen came up saying--

"You purchased this video ( I really didn't purchase it before, it was just one of the free movies on the X1) on another device.
To view it on this 4K Media Player (meaning my X10), please contact Sony with this code 4145.
Call 1 855 476 6945"

I called this number and they saw my earlier X1 account. They said they will be sending me an email with a code in it to put in my X10 screen under Video Unlimited 4K, "Redeem Codes".
At least that's what I think he said in a heavy accent.
The code won't come until Monday of Tuesday he said. The code office is not open on Sunday.
So in any case it 'appears' they may honor our X1 purchases.
We'll see.
That's encouraging information, thank you.

dreaux's Avatar dreaux 02:43 PM 07-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
That is what I thought they would do. Granted the movies have to be in your SEN account.
Strange they are in my SEN account. I never bought one movie from them. These were the free ones that came with the X1 that are in my SEN account.
vaha's Avatar vaha 03:34 PM 07-27-2014
I have a denon 4000 receiver. Can I just run the hdmi to the receiver or does it have to run directly from the media player to the 600es projector ?
Mattopotamus's Avatar Mattopotamus 03:56 PM 07-27-2014
Quote:
Strange they are in my SEN account. I never bought one movie from them. These were the free ones that came with the X1 that are in my SEN account.
But you downloaded them on the x1 right? I think the people losing movies had them, but never actually downloaded them so they didn't show in their account.
dreaux's Avatar dreaux 04:31 PM 07-27-2014
Quote:
But you downloaded them on the x1 right? I think the people losing movies had them, but never actually downloaded them so they didn't show in their account.
It was my impression they were already on the X1 hard drive and I just played them. But it's been awhile and perhaps I did download them. I did look at all of them to see if any one looked better than the rest but didn't watch the whole movie of those I played. I wasn't very impressed with any of them.

The only videos besides the shorts on the X10 that looks 4K to me are on Netflix.
Mattopotamus's Avatar Mattopotamus 04:50 PM 07-27-2014
Quote:
It was my impression they were already on the X1 hard drive and I just played them. But it's been awhile and perhaps I did download them. I did look at all of them to see if any one looked better than the rest but didn't watch the whole movie of those I played. I wasn't very impressed with any of them.

The only videos besides the shorts on the X10 that looks 4K to me are on Netflix.
On a side note, the world cup demos playing in best buy say coming December 2014. I guess the games they shot will be available then, and they look better than almost anything I have seen.
LeeSoFl's Avatar LeeSoFl 04:56 PM 07-27-2014
Quote:
It was my impression they were already on the X1 hard drive and I just played them.
Yes, first runs of X1's had them already on the drive. The techs came July 15, 2013, installed the circuit board, and the material was already on the player. Otherwise, at current download speeds, it would have taken 70 consecutive hours to pick them all up.
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 05:34 PM 07-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaha View Post
I have a denon 4000 receiver. Can I just run the hdmi to the receiver or does it have to run directly from the media player to the 600es projector ?
Someone else tried to route the video signal through the AVR, but it did not work. You could certainly try, but if it doesn't work, hook the player directly to the HDMI port on your projector that is HDCP 2.2 compliant (assuming one port is).
bruceames's Avatar bruceames 11:07 PM 07-28-2014
So far I'm very impressed. Netflix 4K looks a lot better than I thought it would. Checked out a little of Breaking Bad and Smurfs 2, the latter which looks like demo material. Never had a problem with it keeping up 2160p. I don't know how Netflix does it, and maybe it's better that I don't.

I bought Bridge on the River Kwai after doing some A-B comparisons with the Blu-ray. Since that movie was preloaded I did some more comparisions and the 4k version definitely looks sharper with more resolution. In one wide shot with a lot of people in the distant background sitting down close together, the BLu-ray version looked like they were more blotched together while you could see the individual people more in the 4K version. The colors looks more accurate as well and the fine detail (like grass, rocks, pores) were more resolved in the 4k. I was sitting only about 5 feet away though, if I had moved to 8-9 feet away I probably wouldn't have noticed any difference.
luism2008's Avatar luism2008 12:04 AM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyfam View Post
I took a WD Passport Drive with several of the YouTube 4K MP4 files on it and tried to connect it to the front USB port. The X10 recognized the drive but not the files. I tried a USB Stick and those files played fine. So I tried connecting the Passport drive to the rear USB port and it asked me if I wanted to Format the drive. I let it format the drive and then connected the drive back up to my MacBook Pro, created a folder called 4K Videos and copied the 60+ MP4 files back onto the drive. When I connected the drive up to the front USB port of the X10, the player recognized the drive and loaded all of the thumbnails for the files and they play perfectly. Pressing the Options button on the X10's remote gives you some minimal player configuration choices along with the Scene, Picture and Sound settings. I am liking my X10 vs the X1 that came bundled with my XBR65X900A.
Maybe your drive was initally formated for different file size / OS system? I had to format my drive to exFat for it to be read by windows and mac..

TweakerInWA's Avatar TweakerInWA 08:27 AM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaha View Post
I took a quick glance at the X4000's specs, I don't see any mention of HDCP 2.2 HDMI compatibility. If it does have an HDCP 2.2 input, you can give it a shot. Even with my Onkyo, which is HDCP 2.2 compliant, I was getting video drops for some reason (but it did work otherwise). I think it's just a matter of time before this issue is resolved via a firmware patch, but until then......

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Soycrema's Avatar Soycrema 02:50 PM 07-29-2014
Any word on when these things will be available at Best Buy???
Mattopotamus's Avatar Mattopotamus 02:53 PM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soycrema View Post
Any word on when these things will be available at Best Buy???
When they had their preorders, the mobile website said 8/24
Soycrema's Avatar Soycrema 02:59 PM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Ugh! I thought it would be earlier than that.....the wait continues I guess...thank you.
bruceames's Avatar bruceames 03:06 PM 07-29-2014
I'm very curious to compare Netflix 4K to the Sony Unlimited 4K. Since Netflix already has 4 of the Sony movies and probably more are coming, if the difference is very small, then obviously it wouldn't make much sense to pay Sony's prices. I think I'll buy an episode of Breaking Bad and compare that, as well as comparing the preview of The Smurfs 2 and Ghostbusters (the only problem is that I have to find where the preview is in the movie). The amount of visible difference will also depend on how far away I sit, so I'll probably compare a few distances as well, probably 5 feet, 7 feet and 9 feet. After 9 feet on a 65" you're well outside the 4K "zone" anyway and will not notice a difference (resolution-wise).

Also I want to compare that Spider-Man trailer with a preview of the movie.

I want to buy Lawrence of Arabia and It Happened One Night, but for some reason they raised the price $5 to $34.99 and made it available to rent for $7.99 as well. I think that's a mistake, since all catalog movies should be $29.99 and new release $34.99. I might just go ahead and rent It Happened One Night, but I need more than 24 hours for Lawrence, since that movie is 3 1/2 hours long.
bruceames's Avatar bruceames 03:08 PM 07-29-2014
Quote:
You mean those people who preordered from Best Buy have to wait another month? Or is that when they'll have it available again (and at $699) after all the preorders are fulfilled?
ggw2000's Avatar ggw2000 03:19 PM 07-29-2014
Got an email from Crutchfield that my X10 shipped . Their web home page touts 2day shipping to NY but I'm not to sure. Email lists UPS ground track? Nothing comes up in UPS system right now so I will have to check later or in morning. Will not be happy if it' on a mule!!
Gerry
Mattopotamus's Avatar Mattopotamus 03:44 PM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
You mean those people who preordered from Best Buy have to wait another month? Or is that when they'll have it available again (and at $699) after all the preorders are fulfilled?
When they had preorders at $499 the mobile site (which list ETAs) said 8/24
bruceames's Avatar bruceames 03:50 PM 07-29-2014
Quote:
When they had preorders at $499 the mobile site (which list ETAs) said 8/24
Wow, BB preorder customers got screwed on the timing. Waiting a whole 4-6 weeks more while the player devalues by the day. Way to go BB!
Mattopotamus's Avatar Mattopotamus 03:58 PM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Wow, BB preorder customers got screwed on the timing. Waiting a whole 4-6 weeks more while the player devalues by the day. Way to go BB!
That could have just been an estimate, but considering the employees have no idea it's the only thing to go on.

Even amazon got them a week later. I guess ordering directly from the source is best.
jrlathrop1 05:52 PM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soycrema View Post
Ugh! I thought it would be earlier than that.....the wait continues I guess...thank you.
I ordered mine on the 14th of July from best buy, i was told it would be about a week, never got it, i called the store spoke with a manager and had a regional sony rep get involved, sony rep stated that their was an issue with the SKU for this particular item. Long story short sony rep stated it would be rolling out on the 30th so we should start getting them in the next few days.
slots1's Avatar slots1 10:23 PM 07-29-2014
Ordered from dealer and it was delivered today.
Packed well in large box with blow ups
WIKED's Avatar WIKED 05:03 AM 07-30-2014
BHPhoto sent me an email 1hr ago and said they still don't have stock.
I ordered it on 05/31/14. Maybe a mistake on my part.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk
Mattopotamus's Avatar Mattopotamus 05:33 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKED View Post
BHPhoto sent me an email 1hr ago and said they still don't have stock.
I ordered it on 05/31/14. Maybe a mistake on my part.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk
I wonder if you contact sony they will price match it for you. Just let them know you bought it for $499 from a place that does not have stock and see if they will honor it. At $699, I cannot imagine they are selling many.
dreaux's Avatar dreaux 10:23 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
I'm very curious to compare Netflix 4K to the Sony Unlimited 4K. Since Netflix already has 4 of the Sony movies and probably more are coming, if the difference is very small, then obviously it wouldn't make much sense to pay Sony's prices. I think I'll buy an episode of Breaking Bad and compare that, as well as comparing the preview of The Smurfs 2 and Ghostbusters (the only problem is that I have to find where the preview is in the movie). The amount of visible difference will also depend on how far away I sit, so I'll probably compare a few distances as well, probably 5 feet, 7 feet and 9 feet. After 9 feet on a 65" you're well outside the 4K "zone" anyway and will not notice a difference (resolution-wise).

Also I want to compare that Spider-Man trailer with a preview of the movie.

I want to buy Lawrence of Arabia and It Happened One Night, but for some reason they raised the price $5 to $34.99 and made it available to rent for $7.99 as well. I think that's a mistake, since all catalog movies should be $29.99 and new release $34.99. I might just go ahead and rent It Happened One Night, but I need more than 24 hours for Lawrence, since that movie is 3 1/2 hours long.
Smurfs 2 looks awfully good on Netflix 4K as well as the other 4k videos do on Netflix. I was pleasantly surprised. Both Ghostbusters and Philadelphia are 4K on Netflix so why pay Sony.
Of course it does matter what download speed you have.
bruceames's Avatar bruceames 10:56 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Smurfs 2 looks awfully good on Netflix 4K as well as the other 4k videos do on Netflix. I was pleasantly surprised. Both Ghostbusters and Philadelphia are 4K on Netflix so why pay Sony.
Of course it does matter what download speed you have.
I have Smurfs 2 on Blu-ray as well so I'll do a 3 way comparison when I get a chance. It's nice to have the preview available on 4k Unlimited. I've noticed that Sony has about 5-6 Twilight Time releases available via their server, including Body Double which is sold out. I counted 63 feature films total.

Yes it does matter the download speed but as long as the display says 2160p then it's the same quality for everyone. Fortunately I have enough speed for 4k streaming although I do have to have it wired for ethernet (my wireless is slower).
Oliver Klohs's Avatar Oliver Klohs 11:07 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Maybe he wants the best quality and doesn't get it from Netflix? I think only one member here has compared the Sony download version with the Netflix offering and found the Sony download of a movie visibly superior.
ggw2000's Avatar ggw2000 11:54 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post
Maybe he wants the best quality and doesn't get it from Netflix? I think only one member here has compared the Sony download version with the Netflix offering and found the Sony download of a movie visibly superior.
I think Sony would be better since it's a d/l and playing off HDD. But it will be nice to have a second opinion with the 3 way comparison.....
Gerry
Oliver Klohs's Avatar Oliver Klohs 11:59 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
To my knowledge Lawrence of Arabia was always $34.99 and you can download and then rent so it does not really matter how long it takes you to download.
Pricing certainly is an issue for people but then it is the first real 4k movie content in homes. In any case older and shorter catalog titles would seem to be more sensibly priced at $29.99 when compared to new releases that are only 5$ more.
bruceames's Avatar bruceames 12:06 PM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
I think Sony would be better since it's a d/l and playing off HDD. But it will be nice to have a second opinion with the 3 way comparison.....
Gerry

Yes there's going to be a visible difference, depending on the content (with animated there would be less difference). The difference in bitrate is just too massive. The question is how much and whether it's worth it, and how close do you have to be to notice it.

Obviously with 1080p vs 4K content you're getting into diminishing returns. That's part of the reason some people aren't impressed. That along with the fact that some people are sitting too far away to appreciate it.
Tags: fmp-x10
First ... 10  11  12 13  14  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop