Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I would not agree with that unless the source quality is really poor. I just think it was a bad conversion job on the early seasons and the later seasons were actually shot in 4k.

A good example is the movie hitch. I think it looks awful in "4k" b.c of the conversion or some other technique. If it was the resolution blu rays would not look so good on 4k sets, and I actually find them to look the same as a great 1080p set.
None of the episodes were shot in 4K. The entire show was shot in 35mm film. As the seasons progressed, they probably used better film stock or had better transfers to video. The grain people are seeing is actual film grain which is present on lots of Blu-rays as well, it is just more apparent at a higher resolution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I bought Spider-Man 2 last night and it's still downloading. I don't understand why the download rate is so low. I have a 150Mbps download speed, which I can get on my other devices. The bad thing is where I have my FMP-X10 setup is a few rooms away from my router. I'm running wireless AC throughout the house, but I don't know what kind of wireless is built into this thing. I also tried hooking it up to a wireless AC repeater, which I have a few more devices hooked up to, and I tried hooking it up to a powerline adapter, but any way I hook it up I can't get more than 1Mbps download speed. I went through the house and shut everything else off that was connected to the internet, but that didn't make a difference either. I might have to have someone come out and hardwire a line from my router to where the FMP-X10 is, but first I'm going to plug my laptop into the cable that the media player is attached to and see if it's getting the same download speed or not.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
post #513 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
Well, I bought Spider-Man 2 last night and it's still downloading. I don't understand why the download rate is so low. I have a 150Mbps download speed, which I can get on my other devices. The bad thing is where I have my FMP-X10 setup is a few rooms away from my router. I'm running wireless AC throughout the house, but I don't know what kind of wireless is built into this thing. I also tried hooking it up to a wireless AC repeater, which I have a few more devices hooked up to, and I tried hooking it up to a powerline adapter, but any way I hook it up I can't get more than 1Mbps download speed. I went through the house and shut everything else off that was connected to the internet, but that didn't make a difference either. I might have to have someone come out and hardwire a line from my router to where the FMP-X10 is, but first I'm going to plug my laptop into the cable that the media player is attached to and see if it's getting the same download speed or not.

According to Sony it should take 4 times as long as the movie - so that is 9.5 hrs for this movie. Ugh

They suggest this if the wireless speed is not as expected:
When the data transfer rate is not as fast as expected, changing the wireless channel on the Wi-Fi router may increase the rate.
post #514 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Sony "caps" the download speed from their servers at about 18MB/sec +/-. It doesn't matter what your internet speed is above this max.. Also it has been mentioned before and I tested it yesterday on a 12 minute clip - you can figure that the download is going to be approximately 4X the length of the movie, etc.. In other words a 2 hr movie will take about 8 hrs to download under best case circumstances. Longer if their servers are running slow..
Gerry
post #515 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 193
This morning, some short preview was coming in at 6.3Mbps. You mean Sony can jam this crap through their SEN any faster than that?

My Netflix 4K runs fine, so this time I can't blame Comcast.
post #516 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
There's a pretty rough formula you can use to see how it takes for a movie to download at a given D/L speed

T = 0.8*L / S

T = time in hours

L= length of movie in minutes

S= average download speed (mbps)

So, Spiderman 2 @ 18 mbps would download in (0.8 * 149) / 18 = 6.22 hours, or, about 2.65 times the length of the movie. Only if your D/L speed is about 10 mbps would it take 4 times as long.
post #517 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, that's wonderful. Except I am seeing wide variations, as I just pointed out. This morning the X10 was pulling down 6.1 for a preview. The X1 topped out at 14.8. Also, in the good ole days, if you wanted to watch a preview, it actually had to download it, so you had more opportunities to check the speed of the player. It seems most of the feature previews are ready to play instantly, taking away opportunities to real-time monitor the speed.
post #518 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 10:12 AM

Yes, I think everyday it automatically downloads their "featured" film clips.

post #519 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well that makes sense. I guess I'm going to have to buy a feature so I can be upset and deal with Sony support for an hour and still get nowhere.
post #520 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Yes but you can turn that off in the download settings so it doesn't automatically download.
As far as download speed the limit is defaulted to 2 mbps unless you change to no limit. That may be what the slow download issue is on your spiderman movie
post #521 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
Yes, that's wonderful. Except I am seeing wide variations, as I just pointed out. This morning the X10 was pulling down 6.1 for a preview. The X1 topped out at 14.8. Also, in the good ole days, if you wanted to watch a preview, it actually had to download it, so you had more opportunities to check the speed of the player. It seems most of the feature previews are ready to play instantly, taking away opportunities to real-time monitor the speed.
I had no idea that the X10 was auto-downloading whatever Sony wants it to. Is there any way to turn that off? Some people have precious bandwidth and BTW I noticed that Spiderman 2 is pre-downloaded as well. Surely that wasn't there when the players were shipped, right? Just that movie alone is probably around 50 gb.

Edit: Just noticed the post above mine that says you can turn off auto-download.
post #522 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I have my Download Speed set at 'No Limit' and right now I am downloading a movie at 16.2 Mbps. I am using Verizon Fios 50Mbps.
It's a 92 minute movie and the download bar says 4hrs and 20 min. That's about 3 to 1 it looks like.
post #523 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
When I first connected the X10 (before logging into Video Unlimited) it was on a screen that showed me the uplink speed. It was hovering around 9 Mbps. Can't seem to get back to that screen. Does anyone else know where it is?
post #524 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
I have my Download Speed set at 'No Limit' and right now I am downloading a movie at 16.2 Mbps. I am using Verizon Fios 50Mbps.
It's a 92 minute movie and the download bar says 4hrs and 20 min. That's about 3 to 1 it looks like.
That is probably as fast as it is going to get until they change the cap on the Sony Network.
post #525 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Unfortunately, the OP is only getting 1mbs speeds, so will the download finish in his lifetime?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #526 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Unfortunately, the OP is only getting 1mbs speeds, so will the download finish in his lifetime?
I hope he has the 2mbs limit set rather than the NO Limit option on the player. He has not responded back yet.
post #527 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the x10 lan connected to comcast extreme 105 service. Speed test was 118mbps download. Just spent 20 minutes with the sony guys discussing my 2-14 mbps download speed downloading Moneyball from the 4k unlimited service. He said that this low download speed is entirely from my isp. The sony servers don't limit or throttle speed. Also a speed test has nothing to do with "actual provisioned speed"! Link http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15643 According to this, my max download speed of 14 mbps in the settings of "my 4k videos" is correct as the comcast 105 service actual provisioned download max is 14.5 mbps. It is also getting throttled by comcast constantly I think which is why it fluctuates from 2-14mbps. I had no idea about this actual download speed with comcast. what horses***! I think everyone should check with their providers to find out the actual provisioned speed they have if download speed is in question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 2.10.39 PM.png
Views:	21
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	200041  
post #528 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 01:26 PM

When I first got my box, I hooked it up and tried downloading one of their "free" 6 minute clips and it to me there wasn't enough space. I went into the settings and it showed the entire hard drive filled up. It was late at night so I decided to wait until the next day to deal with it, but when I woke up, whatever was on the hard drive was gone. Also, I just bought my laptop into the bedroom to check the download speed coming through my powerline adapter, and I was getting 1.5Mbps. I hooked my laptop up to my Western Digital Wireless AC Repeater, and I got 75Mbps. So I changed the connection over to the Repeater. I took the powerline adapter into another room, on the other side of the house where I have an access point setup, plugged it in, tested it again, but this time I got 80Mbps. I guess the electrical wiring is messed up somewhere in the bedroom where the powerline adapter isn't functioning properly. Kinda scary. Hopefully some electrical wired aren't crossed somewhere or exposed so the house doesn't catch on fire some night. Ideally, I should have some CAT6 cable hardwired into the bedroom straight from my router because this repeater only gives half the speed of my bandwidth. All repeaters work that way. I have a total of 45 devices connected to my network at any time, 7 in the bedroom. Granted, they're not always on at the same time, but I have everything setup using QOS in my router and have my primary router, 2 hubs, a powerline adapter, a wireless AC repeater, and a wireless AC extender for a total of 12 places to connect to 4 different netwotks. That's what happens when you work from home. You also find yourself playing with the FMP-X10 when I should be working.

post #529 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterleak View Post
I have the x10 lan connected to comcast extreme 105 service. Speed test was 118mbps download. Just spent 20 minutes with the sony guys discussing my 2-14 mbps download speed downloading Moneyball from the 4k unlimited service. He said that this low download speed is entirely from my isp. The sony servers don't limit or throttle speed. Also a speed test has nothing to do with "actual provisioned speed"! Link http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15643 According to this, my max download speed of 14 mbps in the settings of "my 4k videos" is correct as the comcast 105 service actual provisioned download max is 14.5 mbps. It is also getting throttled by comcast constantly I think which is why it fluctuates from 2-14mbps. I had no idea about this actual download speed with comcast. what horses***! I think everyone should check with their providers to find out the actual provisioned speed they have if download speed is in question.
Believe it or not, all providers can change your speed. I didn't realize I had a cap on mine until I spoke with someone from Cox, who provides my internet. After talking with him for a while and getting on his good side, he told me that everyone has a cap on their data download. It's not like a cell phone where you go over your data limit and then you're charged extra, it's a cap they use to regulate the speeds everyone is getting. If you hit that cap, a notification goes off on their end, and then they start slowing down your connection so everyone else can get their bandwidth speed. That's why sometimes in the evening when everyone is getting home from work, your speed will be slower than if it's at 10AM on a weekday. Do you ever wonder how you can call your provider, get a faster plan, and all of a sudden it's faster and no one had to come out to do anything? They regulate everyone's speed so a handful of people can't hog all the bandwidth, which would happen if they all had faster connections than you and are constantly downloading torrents all day long. They can slowly close the spigot on them giving you more speed.

post #530 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
And yes, Mbps (megabits per second) is not the same as MBps (megabytes per second). One thing that often gives people confusion is the difference between a Megabyte (used for file size) and a Megabit (used for download speeds). People often assume that a download speed of 1 Megabit per second (1 Mbps) will allow them to download a 1 Megabyte file in one second. This is not the case, a Megabit is 1/8 as big as a Megabyte, meaning that to download a 1MB file in 1 second you would need a connection of 8Mbps. The difference between a Gigabyte (GB) and a Gigabit (Gb) is the same, with a Gigabyte being 8 times larger than a Gigabit.

Here's a calculator to figure it out: https://www.google.com/search?q=mega...abit+converter

post #531 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
I appreciate Sony's assistance in swapping the X10 for the X1 that was just a year old.
I must have missed your saga of getting the X1 replaced. Is there a previous post you could point me to, or maybe just summarize how you accomplished this? Thanks.
rolldog likes this.
post #532 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 03:45 PM

It seems like every time I turn around, something about this box isn't working. I downloaded a couple of the short videos listed under Wild Window to show off my 4k to someone. They're definitely downloaded because when I go back to them in the Video Unlimited 4k menu from the home screen, the only option available is play. They also show up under my 4k videos. When I select one, details pops up, I click on that, and it brings me to the screen describing the video, where the play button is displayed. Well, whenever I press play, it sits there for a minute, as if it's working, and then a message, "Network is currently unavailable. Please check your network setting and try again later." First, these are already downloaded, second, I still have Spiderman 2 downloading in the background so I know it's connected to the network. Am I missing something?

post #533 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I simply do not believe that SEN doesn't throttle. While I am looking at the FMP-X10 display 30mps, I can take out my phone, tablet, laptop, etc. and run a speed test in parallel and can easily get over 80Mbps with the leftover bandwidth of my connection.

When I first saw the FMP-X10 max out at 30mbps and then settle below, I started a download on my computer and it downloaded at 11 megaBYTES which equates to over 80Mbps.
rolldog likes this.

post #534 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Best Buy came thru!

Well, I wasn't going to spend $700 or even $500 on this player, but since Best Buy decided to give me one for FREE today....heck, I'll take it!!
I bought my 65x850A back in May for a great price, at that time BB was giving away the FX1 for free with the TV, but when I went to pay it turned out that they had ran out of the FX1.
The sales guy told me he would order one for me and call me when it arrived at the store. 2 weeks later he called me to tell me it was impossible to get one as they were discontinued but he said he spoke to his manager and they agreed they would give me the new player when it arrived instead. I didn't believe it at first but today I got the call, went to the store and walked away a very happy customer Now to try some 4K Netflix and free clip, maybe buy a couple of movies...
Traylorc and Mdjones9137 like this.

Last edited by Soycrema; 08-06-2014 at 04:13 PM.
post #535 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soycrema View Post
Well, I wasn't going to spend $700 or even $500 on this player, but since Best Buy decided to give me one for FREE today....heck, I'll take it!!
I bought my 65x850A back in May for a great price, at that time BB was giving away the FX1 for free with the TV, but when I went to pay it turned out that they had ran out of the FX1.
The sales guy told me he would order one for me and call me when it arrived at the store. 2 weeks later he called me to tell me it was impossible to get one as they were discontinued but he said he spoke to his manager and they agreed they would give me the new player when it arrived instead. I didn't believe it at first but today I got the call, went to the store and walked away a very happy customer Now to try some 4K Netflix and free clip, maybe buy a couple of movies...
Congrats - Nice to hear - enjoy
post #536 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soycrema View Post
The best buys that are good, are really good. I love my local best buy
Soycrema likes this.
post #537 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I simply do not believe that SEN doesn't throttle. While I am looking at the FMP-X10 display 30mps, I can take out my phone, tablet, laptop, etc. and run a speed test in parallel and can easily get over 80Mbps with the leftover bandwidth of my connection.

When I first saw the FMP-X10 max out at 30mbps and then settle below, I started a download on my computer and it downloaded at 11 megaBYTES which equates to over 80Mbps.
For anyone interested in digging a bit deeper into understanding download speeds and measuring whether we are being subjected to throttling by our ISP's, I propose that we pick a common network site and file to download. This way, each of us can time the download and determine the download throughput we are getting in relation to the reported link speed using sites like speedtest.com.

For example, I went to the Microsoft download center and picked a couple of fairly large files (two Service Pack files). When I downloaded them, I calculated approximately 20 Mbits/sec download speed for both files, Speedtest.com reports a current link speed of 65 Mbits/sec download on my TWC connection. So the download throughput is being throttled somewhere.

What I am proposing is that several of us pick the same file, run the same test, and report the results. That way we will have an apples-to-apples comparison. Anyone want to participate? If someone has a good (large) file to download from a site that is not likely to be throttled, make a suggestion.

BTW, if all I get from TWC is 20 Mbits/sec, then the SEN download speed of 17-18Mbs may not be unreasonable.

post #538 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not sure about this download talk, did they preload amazing 2 or something because mine played immediately with no issues. On that front I'm impressed with the presentation on my 55 XBR 850A. I'm eager to A/B it with the Bluray when it's released to verify but it looks fantastic with great detail and remarkable color depth. Also, 4K motion handling seems superior.
bruceames and Mdjones9137 like this.
post #539 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amblinfan View Post
Not sure about this download talk, did they preload amazing 2 or something because mine played immediately with no issues. On that front I'm impressed with the presentation on my 55 XBR 850A. I'm eager to A/B it with the Bluray when it's released to verify but it looks fantastic with great detail and remarkable color depth. Also, 4K motion handling seems superior.
I would be interested in the results you see between the 4K vs bluray
post #540 of 1291 Old 08-06-2014, 07:43 PM

Well, I'm currently getting 9Mbps downloading a movie I plan to watch this weekend, I'm just wondering if there might be another way to download a movie from the Sony Entertainment Netwotk, which may offer a faster connection, then put the movie on an external drive to watch. I'm not even sure what video format they're in. As soon as I get my replacement MB in and my desktop PC is up and running, I'm going to burn some of my DVDS into a 4k format. I've been on the phone with Sony for the last 4 hours, spoke with 5 different departments, finally got in touch with some guy who said he knew who could help with the problem I'm having with my 4k media player, and then I get disconnected. If anyone has a phone number to some department at Sony who can help solve a problem I have? For some reason, I'm not able to watch any video I download from the Sony Entertainment Network. The media player keeps telling me that there's a problem with the network and to try again later, but these videos that I've downloaded from SEN are stored on the internal hard drive. No one at Sony can figure this out nor help me fix it. Out of curiosity, if any of you login to your Sony Entertainment Network account online, http://www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/home/, are you able to see the FMP-X10 listed under your devices?

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread - fmp-x10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page