Sony FMP-X10 owners thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 1278 Old 08-08-2014, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Does HDMI 2 out to receiver for audio work fine? I have to use the TV speakers for audio on the X10 because I have an older receiver that doesn't have HDMI ports. I plan to buy a new receiver soon that's HDCP compliant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1278 Old 08-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Does HDMI 2 out to receiver for audio work fine? I have to use the TV speakers for audio on the X10 because I have an older receiver that doesn't have HDMI ports. I plan to buy a new receiver soon that's HDCP compliant.
I use the hdmi 2 out to my Onkyo 5010 for audio only and it works fine. Bob
post #603 of 1278 Old 08-08-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I can't tell from your post--have you hooked the splitter up, and does this method of connecting actually work with the X10?
Right now I'm not using the splitter. I have it connected directly to the HDMI port on the TV and am using the Toslink out from the TV. I plan to hook it up though since right now I have 6-7 devices that connect via HDMI and I'm tired of unhooking one thing and hooking up another. This is the splitter I have. Actually, I have 2 I'm using in two different locations. http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-TOSl...X7WKRC71V93HRK

I can hook it up to the FMP-X10 and let you know if it works with it. I bought this switch about a year ago, but it looks like they've come out with newer models since then that specify compatibility with 4k video.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Last edited by rolldog; 08-08-2014 at 10:22 AM.
post #604 of 1278 Old 08-08-2014, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Watching Amazing SM 2 last night. I lot of cool action scenes but the movie as a whole was only so-so and I didn't care for the lead character. Visually it looked great and in many of the wide panorama shots the level of detail was breathtaking. There's no way the Blu-ray will show that amount of detail, but I will find out in a week or two when my copy arrives. What I'm curious about though is if the 4k version will have better color saturation.
post #605 of 1278 Old 08-08-2014, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
Right now I'm not using the splitter. I have it connected directly to the HDMI port on the TV and am using the Toslink out from the TV. I plan to hook it up though since right now I have 6-7 devices that connect via HDMI and I'm tired of unhooking one thing and hooking up another. This is the splitter I have. Actually, I have 2 I'm using in two different locations. http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-TOSl...X7WKRC71V93HRK

I can hook it up to the FMP-X10 and let you know if it works with it. I bought this switch about a year ago, but it looks like they've come out with newer models since then that specify compatibility with 4k video.

The X10 will not work with that switch, just saying. .....But try if you must. .

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
post #606 of 1278 Old 08-08-2014, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
The X10 will not work with that switch, just saying. .....But try if you must. .

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Well, at least I could hook up some of my other components to it so I don't have to keep unplugging something to plug something else in.

post #607 of 1278 Old 08-08-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
I spoke too soon. As soon as I changed the "Downmix" option to Surround from Stereo, I started experiencing audio dropouts on clips with 2-channel sound. I'm still waiting for my movie download to complete so I can test what happens with a 5.1 audio track.
OK, the Spider-man II movie finished downloading sometime earlier today. I played it, and am happy to report that my Denon displayed "Mult CH IN" on the front display. Accessing the Audio Info page in the web interface shows PCM 5.1 with a 48kHz sampling rate, exactly what I had hoped for. No audio drop-outs, so it looks like we are good to go with the X10.

I still don't know what the "Downmix" setting does, but mine is set to Stereo and everything is working fine.

I don't know if anyone cares, but it am using Monoprice Redmere cables for the hookups. I have a short 3' Redmere cable between the player and the Denon, and a 30' Redmere from the player to the X900a.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #608 of 1278 Old 08-08-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
I pre-ordered and I got the free Spiderman movie when I set my account up.
Thinking about calling Sony on this. I might get penalized for pre-ordering, but I shouldn't be penalized for already having a SEN account setup, since I already had it long ago for gaming, much less 4k.

Matt
post #609 of 1278 Old 08-08-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Well I now have audio out of the X10 via HDMI to my Onkyo AVR. Someone had mentioned before that they only got it with the HDMI cable that came with the X10. So I took out my HDMI cable and replaced with the Sony HDMI cable and it worked!

Now why in the world would the audio to my receiver only work with their cable and not my Hi-speed HDMI cable?

Last edited by dreaux; 08-08-2014 at 01:05 PM.
post #610 of 1278 Old 08-08-2014, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
Well I now have audio out of the X10 via HDMI to my Onkyo AVR. Someone had mentioned before that they only got it with the HDMI cable that came with the X10. So I took out my HDMI cable and replaced with the Sony HDMI cable and it worked!

Now why in the world would the audio to my receiver only work with their cable and not any of my HDMI cables?
Very very strange. I have no answer haha.
post #611 of 1278 Old 08-08-2014, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
BHPhoto emailed on the 7th to say my X10 has finally shipped via UPS. Guess I'll get it next week as its still sitting in the KY depot.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk
post #612 of 1278 Old 08-08-2014, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had an existing SEN account, and was offered Amazing Spiderman 2 for free, when logging into my SEN account for the first time last night on the X10. I think anyone setting up an X10 after the offer went live is receiving the offer. Try logging out of SEN and logging in again to trigger the offer.
post #613 of 1278 Old 08-08-2014, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luism2008 View Post
I think I had an software update..
Mine says PKG2.024AAQ..
I wonder what the update did?
Anyone know?

Anyone else wo bought it early get an update?
post #614 of 1278 Old 08-09-2014, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by luism2008 View Post
Anyone else wo bought it early get an update?
Updated mine this morning- picked my X10 up on release date- Also, I've noticed Sony recently added more Free content as well- more animal videos, I'll have to check them out after I watch Amazing Spiderman 2
luism2008 likes this.
post #615 of 1278 Old 08-09-2014, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoSmoke View Post
I had an existing SEN account, and was offered Amazing Spiderman 2 for free, when logging into my SEN account for the first time last night on the X10. I think anyone setting up an X10 after the offer went live is receiving the offer. Try logging out of SEN and logging in again to trigger the offer.
I did a factory reset and reset everything excluding formating the hdd and still no luck

I'm guessing once the X10 has been activated and registered once to an account, it is no longer eligible for the promotion? Oh well, good for you to pick up the title for free-
post #616 of 1278 Old 08-09-2014, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

Now why in the world would the audio to my receiver only work with their cable and not my Hi-speed HDMI cable?
So you are saying that the Sony player which only works with Sony TVs needs a Sony cable. Sounds like a logical progression to me.
post #617 of 1278 Old 08-09-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
So you are saying that the Sony player which only works with Sony TVs needs a Sony cable. Sounds like a logical progression to me.
All Dreaux proved is that the original cable was probably defective, and that a new cable resolved the issue. Whether the new cable is a Sony cable, or a different brand cable, is unlikely to make any difference. Unless, of course, you believe that different brands of HDMI cables are somehow electronically different.

post #618 of 1278 Old 08-09-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
Yeah, well at least I didn't have to buy it. It's the HDMI cable that is flat. Never seen another like it. What an improvement over the optical I was running out of the back of the set.

On a side note when I watch a Netflix Ultra HD video I notice the difference on the quality of the video. When I hit 'display' on the little remote I will often see 720 then Super HD and then up to Ultra HD. My download speeds are varying but they finally settle into Ultra HD. I have the X10 hard wired with Fios 50Mbps.but I am sure I am not getting that with Netflix.
post #619 of 1278 Old 08-09-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
All Dreaux proved is that the original cable was probably defective, and that a new cable resolved the issue. Whether the new cable is a Sony cable, or a different brand cable, is unlikely to make any difference. Unless, of course, you believe that different brands of HDMI cables are somehow electronically different.

I did try 3 different HDMI cables before and no joy. Oh well not important.
post #620 of 1278 Old 08-09-2014, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Yeah, well at least I didn't have to buy it. It's the HDMI cable that is flat. Never seen another like it. What an improvement over the optical I was running out of the back of the set.

On a side note when I watch a Netflix Ultra HD video I notice the difference on the quality of the video. When I hit 'display' on the little remote I will often see 720 then Super HD and then up to Ultra HD. My download speeds are varying but they finally settle into Ultra HD. I have the X10 hard wired with Fios 50Mbps.but I am sure I am not getting that with Netflix.
Netflix on the X10 ramps up, (like the app on the TV) especially for the first thing you load. It sometimes starts as low as 480SD, then makes it way up to 2160. If you see 2160 HD, on the X10 Netflix that's the best it gets. TV max is 1080SuperHD.
post #621 of 1278 Old 08-09-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did try 3 different HDMI cables before and no joy. Oh well not important.
Yes, it is a mystery why a Sony cable would work for you, and others wouldn't. However, as I reported earlier, I use Redmere cables, and they work just fine. The important thing is that you are up and running now, so congratulations!

post #622 of 1278 Old 08-09-2014, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Yes, it is a mystery why a Sony cable would work for you, and others wouldn't. However, as I reported earlier, I use Redmere cables, and they work just fine. The important thing is that you are up and running now, so congratulations!
I agree a cable is a cable.
Could those with audio issues have the direction wrong on the HDMI cables? Not sure if everyone realizes there is a direction - at least on the cables i have.
post #623 of 1278 Old 08-09-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Certainly true for Redmere cables, and any other cable design which uses electronics to compensate for long distances, but AFAIK the "average" HDMI cable is non-directional. Still, when trouble-shooting HDMI cables, it would not hurt to try reversing the direction to rule out directionality as a possible issue.

post #624 of 1278 Old 08-09-2014, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For streaming Netflix 4k, do you all think the X10 is worth the price? I have an X1 and have not downloaded a single movie. Trying to determine if I should make the jump to the X10.
post #625 of 1278 Old 08-09-2014, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
For streaming Netflix 4k, do you all think the X10 is worth the price? I have an X1 and have not downloaded a single movie. Trying to determine if I should make the jump to the X10.
Not in its current state. There are only a few movies and shows on netlfix and only about half of the content actually looks better than 1080p super HD. If you do not use the x1, you probably will not use the x10.
post #626 of 1278 Old 08-09-2014, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Res215dg View Post
I did a factory reset and reset everything excluding formating the hdd and still no luck

I'm guessing once the X10 has been activated and registered once to an account, it is no longer eligible for the promotion? Oh well, good for you to pick up the title for free-

I've been emailing sony about it to see if they'll give me the free title. If not, they're getting a nice opened box unit back . I plan in returning it anyway, but I'd like to demo a full length 4k movie before making my decision
post #627 of 1278 Old 08-09-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Bummer

After a period of flawless operation my X10 sound on HDMI 2 started cutting out and now has stopped completely.
Anyone had any luck getting it operational again ?
What have Sony C/S comments been when reported ?
post #628 of 1278 Old 08-09-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Well, I just made the switch, but in my case it did not cost me any money. Other than the streaming capability, and the fixed audio issue, there is no difference. While the X10 streaming may be more useful in the future, I see no compelling reason to switch right now. As Mattopotamus says, there isn't enough 4K streaming content on Netflix right now.

post #629 of 1278 Old 08-09-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
Bummer

After a period of flawless operation my X10 sound on HDMI 2 started cutting out and now has stopped completely.
Just checking, you didn't by any chance change the Downmix option from Stereo to Multichannel, did you? If not, I would experiment with swapping out the cable.

post #630 of 1278 Old 08-09-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
Bummer

Probably of little help to you but that is exactly what happened with my X1 on HDMI 2. Cutting out and then stopped completely. Changed HDMI cables and no help. They send me 2 more X1's before I could get it to work more than a day and then after 4 days it quit for good. I gave up and went with optical. With the X10 it is working for now.

It looks as if it might be problematic with the media hardware.

Last edited by dreaux; 08-09-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread - fmp-x10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page