AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
Bummer

After a period of flawless operation my X10 sound on HDMI 2 started cutting out and now has stopped completely.
Anyone had any luck getting it operational again ?
What have Sony C/S comments been when reported ?
Just checking, you didn't by any chance change the Downmix option from Stereo to Multichannel, did you? If not, I would experiment with swapping out the cable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1242 Old 08-09-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Bummer

After a period of flawless operation my X10 sound on HDMI 2 started cutting out and now has stopped completely.
Anyone had any luck getting it operational again ?
What have Sony C/S comments been when reported ?
Probably of little help to you but that is exactly what happened with my X1 on HDMI 2. Cutting out and then stopped completely. Changed HDMI cables and no help. They send me 2 more X1's before I could get it to work more than a day and then after 4 days it quit for good. I gave up and went with optical. With the X10 it is working for now.

It looks as if it might be problematic with the media hardware.

Last edited by dreaux; 08-09-2014 at 12:56 PM.
post #633 of 1242 Old 08-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
I'll give it a shot. I haven't downloaded anything from SEN using the TV. I'm able to stream full 4k video using my media player and Netflix. When the Netflix starts streaming, it's at 480SD, but after 30-45 seconds, it's at full 4k resolution, and this is while I'm downloading a movie from SEN in the background. When I get the network error, I'm just trying to play one of Sony's small 5 minute clips, which has already been downloaded and is on the hard drive. And I have a movie downloading from SEN in the background then as well.

I've been working on this problem with Sony for 5 hours now. It's not a network problem on your end, it's on their end. The movies download to the local hard drive with no problem. After it's downloaded onto the local dtive, whenever you try playing it a network error message comes up. Now, the movie is already downloaded, so in order to watch it, you shouldn't need to use any netwotk. I think it's a problem with the copyright policy on the media device because as you may have read when you hooked it up, it must be hooked into a specific HDMI port in order to watch something with a copyright protection on it. I have 4 short films downloaded and Spiderman 2. I can watch the preview for Spiderman 2, I just can't watch the movie, or anything else for that matter that was downloaded from the SEN nrtwotk. Netflix works fine. I'm now talking to someone in Japan to help fix this error. 7th department I've spoken with.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
After speaking with Sony customer support yesterday and them opening up a ticket on my issue - which went from an internet connection error to "error code 6002" - I exchanged my unit at Best Buy today for another one and the new one works fine. Downloaded some shorts and they immediately loaded and played. Bob
post #634 of 1242 Old 08-09-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice, Bob, that is good news.

post #635 of 1242 Old 08-09-2014, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
After speaking with Sony customer support yesterday and them opening up a ticket on my issue - which went from an internet connection error to "error code 6002" - I exchanged my unit at Best Buy today for another one and the new one works fine. Downloaded some shorts and they immediately loaded and played. Bob
Same here. After 5-6 hours total on the phone with 7 different departments at Sony, they said they were going to work on it and call me next week. Well, today my network error message turned into that error code messsge. I guess they finally figured out what was wrong, but it must apply to certain accounts and/or certain TVS working with the box. I bought mine from Amazon, but over the last few days, I've been thinking about returning it for good until they get all the kinks worked out.

The FMP-X10 has a media player built in and uses the H.265 codec. Does anyone know of a decent software package that works with this codec so I can try converting some movies into a 4k video file and try playing the converted file on the FMP-X10? Also, does anyone have any idea what format the file needs to be, maybe .mkv, and if it would be playable on both the media player and/or a USB port on the TV?

post #636 of 1242 Old 08-09-2014, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Don't do it. They will bill your SEN account. See my other post. Looks like we're all waiting for this issue to be resolved...
post #637 of 1242 Old 08-09-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if anyone has noticed or mentioned it, but the X10 supports Dolby Digital+ from Netflix. I am watching the last couple of episodes of last season of The Killing, and the audio status on my Denon is showing DD+.

post #638 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
Same here. After 5-6 hours total on the phone with 7 different departments at Sony, they said they were going to work on it and call me next week. Well, today my network error message turned into that error code messsge. I guess they finally figured out what was wrong, but it must apply to certain accounts and/or certain TVS working with the box. I bought mine from Amazon, but over the last few days, I've been thinking about returning it for good until they get all the kinks worked out.

The FMP-X10 has a media player built in and uses the H.265 codec. Does anyone know of a decent software package that works with this codec so I can try converting some movies into a 4k video file and try playing the converted file on the FMP-X10? Also, does anyone have any idea what format the file needs to be, maybe .mkv, and if it would be playable on both the media player and/or a USB port on the TV?

Here is what I found and was about to post.
You can rip a DVD or BD with D____b using their new beta 9060 version and put it on a USB flash drive or external hard drive. D____b now provides 4K and H265 codecs in MKV, MP4 and others.
They all play from the FMP-X10. So does converting a BD ISO to 4K
I am sure other BD ripping software works as well
You do have to choose the standard Dolby 5.1 audio over the Lossless audio
And SD dvds ripped to 4K look fantastic.
rolldog likes this.
post #639 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Here is what I found and was about to post.
You can rip a DVD or BD with D____b using their new beta 9060 version and put it on a USB flash drive or external hard drive. D____b now provides 4K and H265 codecs in MKV, MP4 and others.
They all play from the FMP-X10. So does converting a BD ISO to 4K
I am sure other BD ripping software works as well
You do have to choose the standard Dolby 5.1 audio over the Lossless audio
And SD dvds ripped to 4K look fantastic.
There is something I am not understanding. If you simply play the shiny disk, the video gets up-converted to 4K by the display. What PQ advantages are there to ripping it to an up-converted 4K file and playing on the X10? Either way, the resulting image is in 4K, isn't it?

post #640 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I have a question for people who switched from X1 to the X10, regarding the 10 films that were originally offered.

I was first told I'd get codes to redeem the movies for download to the new X10. Then I was told they'd show up in the 4K Unlimited menu and show a buy for $0.

Neither has happened yet, and the only communication I got from Sony was an email with an ID number. No one at SEN knows anything about the reference number, (it isn't an E, event number.)

How is this going for the upgrade or swap out people?
post #641 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
There is something I am not understanding. If you simply play the shiny disk, the video gets up-converted to 4K by the display. What PQ advantages are there to ripping it to an up-converted 4K file and playing on the X10? Either way, the resulting image is in 4K, isn't it?
Obviously not. I think the only advantage would perhaps be not losing any quality while saving space by converting to a more efficient H.265 codec. But certainly there's no magic formula that you can convert DVD to 4K. native 480p in, native 480p out.
post #642 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
I have a question for people who switched from X1 to the X10, regarding the 10 films that were originally offered.

I was first told I'd get codes to redeem the movies for download to the new X10. Then I was told they'd show up in the 4K Unlimited menu and show a buy for $0.

Neither has happened yet, and the only communication I got from Sony was an email with an ID number. No one at SEN knows anything about the reference number, (it isn't an E, event number.)

In my case, when I selected each of the movies I had downloaded to the X1 to purchase on the X10, it showed "play", indicating the movies had already been purchased. I never received a code, nor was a code required.

post #643 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Obviously not. I think the only advantage would perhaps be not losing any quality while saving space by converting to a more efficient H.265 codec. But certainly there's no magic formula that you can convert DVD to 4K. native 480p in, native 480p out.
Well, if you use the shiny disk, there is no space savings. Thanks, Bruce, but I am still not seeing the advantage.

post #644 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
In my case, when I selected each of the movies I had downloaded to the X1 to purchase on the X10, it showed "play", indicating the movies had already been purchased. I never received a code, nor was a code required.
If they're ready for play, are they on the drive of your X10? That would seem to take up a significant part of the 1TB capacity.

Got an email a few seconds ago that they've accelerated my inability to access movies to the "Content Department." They're right down the hall from the "Ministry of Silly Walks."
Janibrewski likes this.
post #645 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
If they're ready for play, are they on the drive of your X10? That would seem to take up a significant part of the 1TB capacity.

Got an email a few seconds ago that they've accelerated my inability to access movies to the "Content Department." They're right down the hall from the "Ministry of Silly Walks."
Well the x10 comes with ~250gb of content preinstalled
post #646 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Well, if you use the shiny disk, there is no space savings. Thanks, Bruce, but I am still not seeing the advantage.
No, not if you use the disc. But if you wanted to store and play movies off a hard drive (whether you got them from disc or not), then you could fit more of them without losing quality. Not something I would be interested in, especially for DVDs, as they don't take up that much space to begin with (you can put around 300-400 ISOs on a 2 TB hard drive).
post #647 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Well the x10 comes with ~250gb of content preinstalled
That is operating system and a lot of trailers. Total for 10 features and 40 shorts was 780Gig on my X1.

When the X1 was delivered July '13, the unit came packaged with the 10 features ready to go. The Sony installer (for the circuit board, remember those?) said it would've taken 80 hours to get the movies and that's why they came loaded on the X1.

With Jerry, it seems the same thing happened, which is odd, since the 10 movie offer expired before the X10 even came out.
post #648 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

When I got my free 10 movies on my X10 all I had to do is hit 'play' and they immediately started playing except for 'Bridge on the River Kwai' which had to download first.
So I guess they were download already although I didn't download them.
When you get them you can always transfer them to your external hard drive.
post #649 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Maybe now there is as Media Info reports I am getting 3840 X 2160 from a SD DVD after conversion.
Apparently the new codecs allow converting SD DVD to 4K and H265 if you want to conserve space
I just completed converting a 2004 DVD music video that was in SD to 4K and the difference is astounding.
It compares favorably in color and definition and resolution with Blu Ray disks I play.
I know the Sony's are supposed to be upconverting to 4k internally but the file conversion is miles better.
Sony does not display the resolution on screen after processing so you do not know what they have achieved.

Quote:

I received the codes and embarrassing as it is to Sony when you enter them they come back expired or Invalid.
After i contacted them again 2 days later they called and stated it was sent to a management group to straighten out.

Quote:
I just compared a 4k conversion of Elysium to the blu ray disc and there is no doubt the picture is clearer and more defined. So there is something different in the processing.
Only negative so far is the inability to have lossless HD sound
post #650 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, since I'm obviously having compatibility issues with my FMP-X10 working with my XBR65X850A using my SEN account to play movies, all I can do is stream a few things through Netflix. Would anyone be interested in buying my new FMP-X10 for $500, which is less than the current retail price?

post #651 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Maybe now there is as Media Info reports I am getting 3840 X 2160 from a SD DVD after conversion.

(snip)

I just compared a 4k conversion of Elysium to the blu ray disc and there is no doubt the picture is clearer and more defined. So there is something different in the processing.
Ok, remember that the Display button on the TV reports the resolution of the input signal. If you convert to 4K externally, then of course the TV will report 3840x2160. But if you feed the TV 1080p, the TV Display button will show 1080p, but it still up-scales the signal. So, what I am saying is that the result is the same--you are seeing a 4K image either way.

As for you seeing a better PQ than when you play the Blu-ray and let the TV up-scale, there really should not be any difference. The Bravia engine does an excellent job in up-scaling to 4K.

post #652 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Was reading back a few pages where someone who preordered the X10 was able to get the Spiderman 2 free offer? I just signed out of SEN on my preordered X10 and then back in but no luck on getting the offer.
Anyone know anything else to try?
Thanks, Gerry
post #653 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lee, I have NFI how this thing is working. Here is what I have observed so far:

- Out of the box, storage use was 199GB.
- When I first displayed "My 4K Videos", it said there was no content.
- When I purchased a demo clip, it reported that it was already on the disk, and now the title appears in My 4K Videos.
- I had to go to the trouble of purchasing every clip I wanted, even though each one was already on the disk.
- I originally downloaded only five of the ten free movies that came with the X1. When Sony offered to send me the new player, I was asked which titles I had downloaded.
- On the X10, the movies show "Play" when I try and purchase them in Video Unlimited 4K.
- When I press Play, the movies start playing immediately, so they must be downloaded.
- After playing a movie, it now appears in My 4K Videos.
- Assuming all five movies are already downloaded, it seems like my disk usage is low. It is showing 300GB in use now, with the five free movies, plus the Spider-Man free offer, and the ~20 clips I have purchased.

So, that's all I know. Does any of it make any sense?

post #654 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok, remember that the Display button on the TV reports the resolution of the input signal. If you convert to 4K externally, then of course the TV will report 3840x2160. But if you feed the TV 1080p, the TV Display button will show 1080p, but it still up-scales the signal. So, what I am saying is that the result is the same--you are seeing a 4K image either way.

As for you seeing a better PQ than when you play the Blu-ray and let the TV up-scale, there really should not be any difference. The Bravia engine does an excellent job in up-scaling to 4K.
Except that the display button is disabled when using HDMI input #2. So the display does not report anything.
I am guessing that when you use the HDMI #2 port there is no upscaling as they expect a 4K signal.
And yes the Bravia engine is good but I am starting to believe the X10 has more processing power.
I have not attempted to feed anything to HDMI #2 except 4K

Now for something else
I was starting to experience the No Sound on HDMI 2 out as others have experienced. For a hour I tested different configurations and ideas. No Sound.
So decided to try what was suggested to me by other forum members. Only modified slightly since i was already using the Sony supplied HDMI cable for HDMI 2 out.
I exchanged the cable for a absolutely low buck one I had laying around.
Sound is restored.. Go Figure!
The perplexing thing is my sound processor displays the correct incoming sound signal information as PCM 5.1 whenever the HDMI cable is plugged in and when the cable is removed the signal information is removed. So the X10 is sending HDMI info but no sound at that time.
l

Last edited by thestewman; 08-10-2014 at 02:00 PM.
post #655 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Lee, I have NFI how this thing is working. Here is what I have observed so far:

- Out of the box, storage use was 199GB.
- When I press Play, the movies start playing immediately, so they must be downloaded.
- After playing a movie, it now appears in My 4K Videos.
- Assuming all five movies are already downloaded, it seems like my disk usage is low. It is showing 300GB in use now, with the five free movies, plus the Spider-Man free offer, and the ~20 clips I have purchased.

So, that's all I know. Does any of it make any sense?
Maybe the numbers add up in Sony's head, but it is weird.
post #656 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now for something else
I was starting to experience the No Sound on HDMI 2 out as others have experienced. For a hour I tested different configurations and ideas. No Sound.
So decided to try what was suggested to me by other forum members. Only modified slightly since i was already using the Sony supplied HDMI cable for HDMI 2 out.
I exchanged the cable for a absolutely low buck one I had laying around.
Sound is restored.. Go Figure!
The perplexing thing is my sound processor displays the correct incoming sound signal information as PCM 5.1 whenever the HDMI cable is plugged in and when the cable is removed the signal information is removed. So the X10 is sending HDMI info but no sound at that time.
l
I am finding that the X10 sound is just as unstable as the X1. Yesterday I reported sound was working fine from HDMI2, only to have it become unstable later in the day. So, just for grins, I replaced the Redmere cable with the Sony cable, and audio was back to being stable. I was just getting ready to offer my sincere apologies to Flinchn for poo-poo'ing the whole Sony cable thing, but the next time I tried the X10, I started getting dropouts again. Darn, WTF is happening? So, I switched back to the Redmere cable, and audio started working again.

So, my current theory is that forcing the HDMI handshake by swapping out the cable is resetting something, allowing audio to work until you turn the player off. Next time you turn it on, audio is back in the toilette. Of course, I can't repeat this, so it's getting very frustrating.

Who has rock-solid audio from HDMI2? And who is having issues? And please comment on what make/model AVR you are using, please.

post #657 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am finding that the X10 sound is just as unstable as the X1. Who has rock-solid audio from HDMI2? And who is having issues? And please comment on what make/model AVR you are using, please.
The X10 has been working fine (so far) but since I have very few stored movies, I've been using it to watch Netflix 4K.

I have the STR DH750 which replaced Sony ES separate preamp/amp/tuner etc. It was from pre-HDMI days and I had been using optical in, but there were only three of them.

Do you have the same intermittent audio while watching Netflix 4K through the X10?
post #658 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The X10 has been working fine (so far) but since I have very few stored movies, I've been using it to watch Netflix 4K.

I have the STR DH750 which replaced Sony ES separate preamp/amp/tuner etc. It was from pre-HDMI days and I had been using optical in, but there were only three of them.

Do you have the same intermittent audio while watching Netflix 4K through the X10?
So, it is not clear from your response. Are you using HDMI2 to the AVR?

I haven't really used the X10 with Nexflix yet, except for a brief test watching HOC to make sure I was getting the 4K stream. During the brief test, I didn't notice any audio issues.

For non-4K content, we have the choice of using the Netflix app in the TV or the Player. I have been choosing the TV app. Any reason why using the player app might be better?

post #659 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So, it is not clear from your response. Are you using HDMI2 to the AVR? For non-4K content, we have the choice of using the Netflix app in the TV or the Player. I have been choosing the TV app. Any reason why using the player app might be better?
Sorry, yes I am using the X10 out 2 to receiver. I am not however, using the ARC feature, the cable box I have has two outs as does the Blu-ray which also go to the receiver.

Edited to add this paragraph: After a year of trying and giving up, and trying again, I forgot what the outcome is when using only X10 out 1 to the TV and using the ARC from the TV back to the receiver. Was that where it didn't come through in 5.1 anymore.

I use all Acoustic Research cables, didn't try the Sony cable that came with the X10.

As for the Netflix choice, what's odd is that as soon as I hooked up the X10, when I selected Netflix on the TV remote, it fired up the X10. Since that time, it changed and the red Netflix button on the TV remote opens regular Netflix. So go figure.

Last edited by LeeSoFl; 08-10-2014 at 03:50 PM.
post #660 of 1242 Old 08-10-2014, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Who has rock-solid audio from HDMI2? And who is having issues? And please comment on what make/model AVR you are using, please.

I have HDMI2 connected to my Pioneer SC-1522 using a 3ft Mediabridge Flex cable. When first powering up and playing from the X10 there is a longer than normal delay before I start to get audio but never had any issues with dropouts once the handshake is established.

My only complaint is I wish the HDMI CEC would also change to the correct input on the AVR when powering up the X10. It powers on the TV and changes to the correct input, but the AVR goes to the TV input (ARC) rather than the input the X10 HDMI2 is connected to. Anyone have HDMI CEC working correctly with both their TV (HDMI1) and AVR (HDMI2)?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread - fmp-x10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page