Sony FMP-X10 owners thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #661 of 2914 Old 08-10-2014, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I was wondering if the Power brick is multi-volt?

I realise the unit is 19.5 DC in and hoping the brick is multi volt so I can just change the power lead when it arrives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 2914 Old 08-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
Maybe now there is as Media Info reports I am getting 3840 X 2160 from a SD DVD after conversion.
Apparently the new codecs allow converting SD DVD to 4K and H265 if you want to conserve space
I just completed converting a 2004 DVD music video that was in SD to 4K and the difference is astounding.
It compares favorably in color and definition and resolution with Blu Ray disks I play.
I know the Sony's are supposed to be upconverting to 4k internally but the file conversion is miles better.
Sony does not display the resolution on screen after processing so you do not know what they have achieved.
Sorry you can't create something from nothing. DVD is 720x480 resolution on the disc and no program is add the missing pixel information that would only be available on a higher resolution source.

What that program is doing is simply converting it to a more efficient codec and then it upscales it to 4k. Perhaps it upscales better than the 900A (which would be very useful) but it's still upscaled.
post #663 of 2914 Old 08-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Who has rock-solid audio from HDMI2? And who is having issues? And please comment on what make/model AVR you are using, please.
Thus far no issues with audio. Running Redmere cables, HDMI 1 on the X10 to the display, HDMI 2 to my Onkyo 838. I'm using the HDCP 2.2 port on the 838 for audio from the X10.

The issue a few of you are having isn't related to any specific kind of HDMI cable, as you've stated it's a handshake issue. In my experience with the X1, the only way to resolve the issue was to actually swap out the cable for a different one (using the same cable proved fruitless, no matter how many times I unplugged it and plugged it in, switched ends etc..), when that one starts experiencing issues, you can solve the issue by reinstalling the one that you originally switched out. Thus not really cable related.

I spent a good couple of days on the phone with Sony technicians recreating this issue several times. I guess it's creeping back into the picture with the X10, though I haven't had any problems as yet.

If I were a betting man, my money would be on the HDCP as the culprit behind everything, from the sound dropouts, to the HDMI handshake issue's. ..

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 08-10-2014 at 08:59 PM.
post #664 of 2914 Old 08-11-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked: 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKED View Post
I was wondering if the Power brick is multi-volt?

I realise the unit is 19.5 DC in and hoping the brick is multi volt so I can just change the power lead when it arrives.
According to the Reference Guide that came with the player, the AC Adapter is "Input: 100V-240V AC, 50-60Hz".
post #665 of 2914 Old 08-11-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Has anybody downloaded Amazing spiderman-2 from 4k unlimited? If so how is the picture quality? Debating weather to download it on my X1 or just wait for BD as the price difference seems minimal & seems like 3D picture quality from reviews does not seem spectacular.

Vinod
post #666 of 2914 Old 08-11-2014, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post
Has anybody downloaded Amazing spiderman-2 from 4k unlimited? If so how is the picture quality?
Also, is it widescreen 2.35:1 or just 16:9?
post #667 of 2914 Old 08-11-2014, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
According to the Reference Guide that came with the player, the AC Adapter is "Input: 100V-240V AC, 50-60Hz".
Ok thanks. Mine will be delivered tomorrow finally

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Screen: 125" Stewart Luxus Deluxe ST130 2.35:1
Audio: Meridian Full Digital Theatre, 861v8 Processor, HD621. Velodyne DD-15+
Sources: Oppo 105D, Cable, Xbox One, NAS, TiVo
post #668 of 2914 Old 08-11-2014, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
Actually,

I did run it through my Onkyo 838 which is HDCP compliant with somewhat decent results. Audio and video worked, but I would get a video signal drop (picture would flash a quick black screen every 5-10 seconds). This is something that should be addressed by either Sony or Onkyo with a firmware update, but I highly doubt Sony cares and would probably state "we don't support running the X10 to any device other than the Sony XBR 65x9** blah, blah. So I haven't really pursued the issue with either company...Here's what it was doing when I ran the X10 through the Onkyo. .

http://youtu.be/sqNjuvOMbEs

So as you can see, it does work. I really need to follow up on this issue. .

Actually, I was just popping online to investigate HDMI dropouts running FMP x10 out of my Onkyo 636 HDMI 2.0 2.2 Compatible AVR. I thought I was having issues with one of my HDMI cords, cause it takes a long run into my Sony 500ES 4k Projector. Looks like a common ocurrence. This steams me as I gave up a perfectly wonderful Yamaha 675 just to be able to run the FMP x10 through my AVR so that I would have only one 30+ foot run to my projector.
post #669 of 2914 Old 08-11-2014, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post
Actually, I was just popping online to investigate HDMI dropouts running FMP x10 out of my Onkyo 636 HDMI 2.0 2.2 Compatible AVR. I thought I was having issues with one of my HDMI cords, cause it takes a long run into my Sony 500ES 4k Projector. Looks like a common ocurrence. This steams me as I gave up a perfectly wonderful Yamaha 675 just to be able to run the FMP x10 through my AVR so that I would have only one 30+ foot run to my projector.
Get on the horn with both Sony and Onkyo. Something like this can be sorted out and fixed with a simple firmware update. .. :thumbup:

post #670 of 2914 Old 08-11-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Get on the horn with both Sony and Onkyo. Something like this can be sorted out and fixed with a simple firmware update. .. :thumbup:

OK, Tweaker, you need to put the cork back in the wine bottle and call it a night. We waited for this type of "simple firmware fix" for over a year with the X1, and Sony never delivered. What makes you so optimistic all of a sudden?
post #671 of 2914 Old 08-11-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:

I'll contact Sony first. I have this sinking feeling that they designed the FMP-x10 to ONLY work correctly when attached directly to the Sony 4k device... though I could have sworn that someone had it working through an AVR in one of the posts I scanned over in the projector threads...

I'm already on "iffy" ground as I have the Japanese model 500ES instead of the American 600ES and as such it wasn't listed as a compatible source, but luckily it was.

I don't know about the TV's, but there are only 2 HDMI inputs on the 500/600ES. It seems if they were going to force us with a direct connect they could've provided a few more inputs!
post #672 of 2914 Old 08-12-2014, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi - I have both the X1 and X10, and I've had the same audio issues over the HDMI2 output on both units. I've found a few workarounds.

My equipment:
1. Sony 1100 ES projector
2. Integra 70.3 AVR
3. X1/X10 uses the Sony cable to HDMI2 on the projector. The X1/X10 audio HDMI output goes through Cat5e/balun to the Integra.
4. My other sources go through the receiver and to HDMI1 on the projector via cat5e/balun from the receiver.

Whenever I start a video (movie, tv show, etc.) on the X10, the Integra has trouble syncing. The HDMI indicator flashes for 4-5 seconds. Stops. Then flashes again. No audio.

To get audio, after starting a movie on the X1/X10:
1. Change to HDMI1 on the projector
2. Change my receiver to a source that's sending audio (like my Tivo)
3. Wait for sync on video and audio
4. Shift back to HDMI2 on the projector. Wait for sync.
5. Shift the Integra to the input for the X1/X10, there is immediate sync. It won't drop the audio until I stop a movie and start another one (sometimes does keep sync if I do start one really fast)

Over on the 1000 projector thread (like most owners of that projector, we went through the upgrade to the 1100, which included the X1 in the kit), other owners were sometimes reporting audio issues. Some fixed by either:
1. Updating the firmware on their receiver
2. Putting the HDMI audio output of the X1 into their Lumagen and using the Lumagen to just send an audio signal to their receiver (if I remember correctly, there is actual video info being sent over the HDMI2 of the X10, which people thought was confounding their receivers- this is why the Lumagen helped; it sent a pure audio signal). See Thrang's post: Sony VPL-vw1000
3. As a cheaper alternative, some people used a converter off amazon to strip the audio from the HDMI output of the X1 and send the audio via toslink to their receiver. See post Sony VPL-vw1000. JoeRod puts a link to what he used in his report.

I haven't tried any of those options though. Switching to another input that syncs and then switching back has reliably worked for me so far.
turls likes this.
post #673 of 2914 Old 08-12-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
After speaking with Sony customer support yesterday and them opening up a ticket on my issue - which went from an internet connection error to "error code 6002" - I exchanged my unit at Best Buy today for another one and the new one works fine. Downloaded some shorts and they immediately loaded and played. Bob
Really? And you were getting the "network error" message before that when you tried playing anything bought, or downloaded, through your SEN account? Which TV do you have? I bought my FMP-X10 from Amazon about a month before it was released, so maybe I should return it instead of waiting on Sony's "highest level of customer support" to get back with me about a fix?
post #674 of 2914 Old 08-12-2014, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
Really? And you were getting the "network error" message before that when you tried playing anything bought, or downloaded, through your SEN account? Which TV do you have? I bought my FMP-X10 from Amazon about a month before it was released, so maybe I should return it instead of waiting on Sony's "highest level of customer support" to get back with me about a fix?
I have the X900A. Yes, I first got the not connected to the internet error when I cleary was. The following day that changed to error code 6002. Interestingly, when I spoke with customer support they asked me if I could play the Spiderman preview which was the only thing that I could play. That led me to believe that they were already aware of network error issue.

I only downloaded one short since I exchanged my X10, but it downloaded and played immediately. If you can, I would exchange your X10 if I were you.
post #675 of 2914 Old 08-12-2014, 08:53 AM

Yes, I've had an open, unresolved case with Sony for 2 weeks now. I just started getting the error code 6002 this weekend. I can play the previews of movies and I can stream Netflix, but since my 30 day return policy with Amazon is approaching, I was deliberating either sending it back, selling it on Ebay (I bought it when they were offering $200 off), or sending it back for a replacement. Since you were having the same issues I am, and you swapped it out to a new box which seems to be working, I think that's what I'm going to do. I don't understand those people at Sony. It took me about 2 hours to explain to them that I was connected to the internet, was able to download movie, and even able to stream Netflix, so it's obviously not a network issue on my end. I think I've worked my way up about 7 different levels of Sony's service department until I was talking with some Japanese girl and every time I talked into the phone, there was a huge delay. I must have been talking to someone at the factory in Japan.
post #676 of 2914 Old 08-12-2014, 11:27 AM

The call to Sony was pretty much an exercise in futility (at least I got my exercise.) 1st level couldn't even understand the model numbers of the items I was referring to, so I asked to be sent up to level 2.

Level 2 said I should have bought a Sony Receiver with the FMP-X10 and that they had seen the FMP work with the Sony Receivers. I then advised him that the Sony receivers didn't implement HDCP 2.2 so I didn't know how they could be passing the video.

He put me on hold and came back and stated he could not verify that HDCP 2.2 was implemented in the Sony Receivers. I explained the Onkyo line up was the only one that had both HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 implemented. He said that regardless, there was a compatibility problem between the Onkyo and the FMP-X10. He said he would follow up with additional information, but I do not think he will.
post #677 of 2914 Old 08-12-2014, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
After a few weeks of testing on this device with my 65x900A I have decided to keep it instead of returning back to Sony.

Although Amazing Spiderman 2 4K really did not amaze me all that much but "KARMIN in 4K JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE" was a impressing 4k experience. Yes, there is a 20 min version free for download now in video unlimited 4k, just like the demo you see in Bestbuy. They seem to be adding new contents recently in video unlimited and I am expecting that there will be more coming out in Fall for netflix also.

I download Youtube 4K videos and also found some Korean music video in 4K to showcase family and friends. If I returned now, I would probably be out of 4k content for 6 months until the next device with codecs comes out. I also have a Xperia Z2 which shoots 4K video and they will support it in winter with a firmware update.
bruceames likes this.
post #678 of 2914 Old 08-12-2014, 01:19 PM

I dropped an email to Onkyo Tech Support to see if they believe their 2014 Receiver line will support the FMP-X10. I will let you know once I hear back.

I think it's more and more obvious that this is an intentional design to make the player be connected directly to the TV/Projector.
TweakerInWA likes this.
post #679 of 2914 Old 08-12-2014, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post
I dropped an email to Onkyo Tech Support to see if they believe their 2014 Receiver line will support the FMP-X10. I will let you know once I hear back.

I think it's more and more obvious that this is an intentional design to make the player be connected directly to the TV/Projector.
Yeah, I am pretty sure that is the intended design. There is most likely a special handshake to tell the player it is connected to a Sony TV. Even running the player through my Sony receiver that passes 4K signals, it still said it wasn't compatible.
post #680 of 2914 Old 08-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Yeah, I am pretty sure that is the intended design. There is most likely a special handshake to tell the player it is connected to a Sony TV. Even running the player through my Sony receiver that passes 4K signals, it still said it wasn't compatible.
It needs to be HDCP 2.2 compliant, not just 4K capable.....

These Onkyo's a few of us have purchased to pair with these two Sony products should work...If it's not addressed by Sony, the 900A will be the last big ticket item I purchase from them. Not that they care, but I think it's horrible they've decided to back us folks into a corner with the whole 4K lock down approach they're taking. I'd be willing to bet there will be a compatible Sony AVR on the market before the Onkyo issue is even a blip on their radar.

post #681 of 2914 Old 08-12-2014, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
It needs to be HDCP 2.2 compliant, not just 4K capable.....

These Onkyo's a few of us have purchased to pair with these two Sony products should work...If it's not addressed by Sony, the 900A will be the last big ticket item I purchase from them. Not that they care, but I think it's horrible they've decided to back us folks into a corner with the whole 4K lock down approach they're taking. I'd be willing to bet there will be a compatible Sony AVR on the market before the Onkyo issue is even a blip on their radar.

Ah that would explain it, looks like my receiver is HDMI 2.0.

I have a long return window so I would be interested to hear if anyone has been fully successful passing it through, as I can still exchange for a different AVR.
post #682 of 2914 Old 08-12-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 71
From Sony web site:

The Sony 4K Ultra HD Media Player (FMP-X10) is exclusively compatible with Sony 4K Ultra HD TVs. It is not compatible with 4K Ultra HD TVs from any other brand.

That might mean that any HDMI handsshake in between will be rejected if it is not 100% pass through
post #683 of 2914 Old 08-12-2014, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
From Sony web site:

The Sony 4K Ultra HD Media Player (FMP-X10) is exclusively compatible with Sony 4K Ultra HD TVs. It is not compatible with 4K Ultra HD TVs from any other brand.

That might mean that any HDMI handsshake in between will be rejected if it is not 100% pass through
They should still be able to maintain that "exclusive" pairing, as well as allowing it to run through a HDCP compliant AVR. I'm no digital code expert, but I don't see why it can't be done...

post #684 of 2914 Old 08-12-2014, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

I'm also not sure if that's all HDMI related (security), which is why I think both the display and X10 have to be connected to the Internet for authentication reason's to watch 4K content...

post #685 of 2914 Old 08-12-2014, 08:01 PM

I have always bought Samsung TVs. This is my first Sony. The only reason I went with Sony was for the 4K Media Player, which isn't working. Amazon shipped me a replacement today so hopefully I'll have it in a couple of days and will determine if it's the player or not. Thanks for all your help Sony.
post #686 of 2914 Old 08-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The Magnolia store in the Houston, TX Galleria area Best Buy had an "open Box" X-10 for sale earlier today for a discount.
post #687 of 2914 Old 08-12-2014, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So does the X10 not pass a signal through a 4k compliant processor? I have a Marantz 8801 and the X10 that I haven't set up yet but it's a no go for me if I can't run the audio through the processor. Anyone else doing this? I only have 3 days left on the 30 day window....
post #688 of 2914 Old 08-12-2014, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith2 View Post
So does the X10 not pass a signal through a 4k compliant processor? I have a Marantz 8801 and the X10 that I haven't set up yet but it's a no go for me if I can't run the audio through the processor. Anyone else doing this? I only have 3 days left on the 30 day window....
Ok, there are two issues here. Let me describe them, and then you can decide whether you want to keep the player.

The Sony-recommended way of hooking up the player is to run an HDMI cable directly to the HDCP 2.2 compliant port on the 4K display (HDMI4) for the video connection, and then run a second HDMI cable from port 2 on the player to an available HDMI connection on your AVR for the audio connection.

Some people have tried to connect the video signal from the player to a HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 compliant connection on a newer AVR, and then route the video from the AVR to the display. A typical reason for doing so is to avoid requiring a new HDMI cable from the player to the display. Unfortunately, I don't believe we have heard anyone who has made this connection successfully, although Tweaker has reported some success.

The HDMI audio connection to the AVR is like playing the lottery. Sometimes you might get lucky and it will work just fine, other times you will have audio dropouts and scratch your head wondering why. The only way you will be able to tell whether you are one of the lucky ones is to hook the player up and test it.

So, I hope this has clarified the issues for you.
post #689 of 2914 Old 08-12-2014, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Well I experienced my first audio dropout through the X10. Occurred while watching an episode of Breaking Bad through Netflix. Only lasted about 3-5 seconds. The odd thing was I rewound to the same spot and it repeated the dropout in the same spot. Very weird. The rest of the episode played just fine.
post #690 of 2914 Old 08-12-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
I'm also not sure if that's all HDMI related (security), which is why I think both the display and X10 have to be connected to the Internet for authentication reason's to watch 4K content...

Both of mine are connected, but it won't let me watch 4K content from SEN. SEN on the TV, even though it's 4K, doesn't show 4K content. So anything you order on your media player won't show up in your SEN account on the TV because of this. So security wise, how is it going to validate the authenticity of each before allowing you to watch something if all of 4K content from the media player won't jive with the content on the TV?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
fmp-x10
Gear in this thread - fmp-x10 by PriceGrabber.com