Hi - I have both the X1 and X10, and I've had the same audio issues over the HDMI2 output on both units. I've found a few workarounds.
1. Sony 1100 ES projector
2. Integra 70.3 AVR
3. X1/X10 uses the Sony cable to HDMI2 on the projector. The X1/X10 audio HDMI output goes through Cat5e/balun to the Integra.
4. My other sources go through the receiver and to HDMI1 on the projector via cat5e/balun from the receiver.
Whenever I start a video (movie, tv show, etc.) on the X10, the Integra has trouble syncing. The HDMI indicator flashes for 4-5 seconds. Stops. Then flashes again. No audio.
To get audio, after starting a movie on the X1/X10:
1. Change to HDMI1 on the projector
2. Change my receiver to a source that's sending audio (like my Tivo)
3. Wait for sync on video and audio
4. Shift back to HDMI2 on the projector. Wait for sync.
5. Shift the Integra to the input for the X1/X10, there is immediate sync. It won't drop the audio until I stop a movie and start another one (sometimes does keep sync if I do start one really fast)
Over on the 1000 projector thread (like most owners of that projector, we went through the upgrade to the 1100, which included the X1 in the kit), other owners were sometimes reporting audio issues. Some fixed by either:
1. Updating the firmware on their receiver
2. Putting the HDMI audio output of the X1 into their Lumagen and using the Lumagen to just send an audio signal to their receiver (if I remember correctly, there is actual video info being sent over the HDMI2 of the X10, which people thought was confounding their receivers- this is why the Lumagen helped; it sent a pure audio signal). See Thrang's post: Sony VPL-vw1000
3. As a cheaper alternative, some people used a converter off amazon to strip the audio from the HDMI output of the X1 and send the audio via toslink to their receiver. See post Sony VPL-vw1000
. JoeRod puts a link to what he used in his report.
I haven't tried any of those options though. Switching to another input that syncs and then switching back has reliably worked for me so far.