post #751 of 1774 Old 08-14-2014, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
However it really doesn't look 2160p. It is an older movie and it looks like a poor transfer.
Yeah, pretty horrid transfer. I'm not sure why they decided on this film... I would assume Sony has much better material to resurrect. ..

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1774 Old 08-14-2014, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Will the x10 Continue to download a movie if I turn it off at night or do I need to leave it on? Thanks
post #753 of 1774 Old 08-14-2014, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
Will the x10 Continue to download a movie if I turn it off at night or do I need to leave it on? Thanks
You can turn it off and it will still continue to download.
post #754 of 1774 Old 08-14-2014, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I setup mine last night..downloaded the update...entered my SEN account info and got the free Amazing Spiderman 2 to DL.

Started the download (the HDD light was ON) and after about 1hr turned it off and went to bed. Turned it back on this morning and it wouldn't restart the download. It say's 'Download paused' when you go to the movie. In my account on SEN's website is says I have it in my movies etc.

Is there a way to either delete what it has already downloaded or force it to restart? I have pulled the cat6 and plugged it back in....unplugged the X10 and restarted etc...all but doing a factory reset.

Thanks

EDIT:

I did a factory reset and it said before I pressed YES that it would delete what I had downloaded and I would be free to downloaded it again. Did the reset and pressed download for the movie and then it goes into 'Download Paused' again and if I check on the HDD it has the exact amount of space used as before the reset.
I then thought I would try to buy a movie so I bought Elysium. It went through with no issues and unlocked the movie to play (it was obviously on the HDD already).
No issues with my SEN account or my network etc. I can also access NETFLIX.

Last edited by WIKED; 08-14-2014 at 10:17 PM.
post #755 of 1774 Old 08-14-2014, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3D..
So my Netflix on PS3 streams 3D to my BRAVIA 900A no prob, but interestingly my PS4 and my X10 don't.. anyone notice and know why it might be?
post #756 of 1774 Old 08-14-2014, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Will Any hdmi cable work for video with this player? I need about a 10ft cable and the one that came with the device is too short. Thanks
post #757 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Will Any hdmi cable work for video with this player? I need about a 10ft cable and the one that came with the device is too short. Thanks
Any "high" speed cable should work fine- I'm using a 10' redmere cable on mine to TV..
Gerry
post #758 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 04:38 AM

HOC S2 4K Aspect Ratio?

Quick ?. Is the above in 4K slightly "letterboxed"? I have black bars on top/bottom and sides to some degree. Everything else on Netflix fills the screen normally..
Thanks, Gerry
post #759 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Quick ?. Is the above in 4K slightly "letterboxed"? I have black bars on top/bottom and sides to some degree. Everything else on Netflix fills the screen normally..
Thanks, Gerry
Yes, thin borders on the top and bottom. All seasons were shot in 2:1 aspect ratio.

If desired, you can nudge open the size of the image in the TV settings. Home>Picture and Display>Screen

Last edited by LeeSoFl; 08-15-2014 at 04:59 AM.
post #760 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
Yes, thin borders on the top and bottom. All seasons were shot in 2:1 aspect ratio.

If desired, you can nudge open the size of the image in the TV settings. Home>Picture and Display>Screen
Thanks!!
Gerry
post #761 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKED View Post

EDIT:

I did a factory reset and it said before I pressed YES that it would delete what I had downloaded and I would be free to downloaded it again. Did the reset and pressed download for the movie and then it goes into 'Download Paused' again and if I check on the HDD it has the exact amount of space used as before the reset.
I then thought I would try to buy a movie so I bought Elysium. It went through with no issues and unlocked the movie to play (it was obviously on the HDD already).
No issues with my SEN account or my network etc. I can also access NETFLIX.
My initial thought is you had something already downloading. It won't download more than one title at a time. You can have multiple items selected, but all except the one actually downloading will show "download paused"... Just a thought. ..

post #762 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post
So, I downloaded some free stuff, the Karmin appearance on Jimmy Kimmel is the best so far for quality. In that case it was like I was looking through a window into the concert. I've streamed Netflix with Breaking Bad and it looks pretty good. I'll probably buy an episode of BB just so I can compare the 4k download versus the Netflix 4k stream.

What I notice most about BB and movie clips I've watched is a whole lot more grain in the image. It's there on the Spiderman trailer as well as BB. Looks really good, but nothing has consistently blown my socks off yet. The Karmin clip has come the closest.

Maybe what this player has taught me is just how good 1080p blu-ray really is.
I think you're going to get the bigger "wow" factor, as you've already noticed from non-cinematic material ... I think it's just the difference in recording, live broadcast (like looking through a window) vs cinematic intent.

Also, I'm pretty sure that CGI still hasn't hit 4K development as yet, so anything with a lot of CGI contains a lot of upscaled 1080 material, which looks good, but isn't truly 4K... Unless someone with more insight on the progression of CGI development would like to chime in. .

post #763 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbenda View Post
Does Sony really limit to 20mbps?

1000mbps internet is getting installed Monday....is it seriously still gonna take my 12+ hours to download a $35 4k movie because of some stupid cap Sony has put on this?

Parker
Yes, unfortunately, you are correct. Hopefully if they sell enough of these, more than expected, they'll be able to justify the cap ex to upgrade their equipment to let everyone download at a faster rate. I'm sure it would cost them a fortune to upgrade their network, but if they get enough subscribers purchasing $30 movies, they can justify the capital outlay to buy the equipment to allow everyone to download at a faster rate without bogging down their systems. A faster download speed would allow everyone to watch a movie faster which means they may buy another $30 movie sooner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
post #764 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I don't think an 8k resolution could save the conversion job on hitch. It looks awful!
You can definitely tell which movies were filmed with 4K cameras vs filmed with a lower resolution camera and then upconverted to 4K.

post #765 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke02 View Post
So I have a x850a. What do the great Avs minds think. Is this thing worth keeping at $499? Seems hard to justify as $30 is ridiculous for movie prices and netflix, while great is still nascent and over compressed.
I also have an 850A and the box, from what I understand because I haven't tried it yet, gives you the ability to play something using the H.265 codec so you could also play digital movie files that use this codec. You wouldn't be able to play them on the TV itself unless you upgraded to the newer model. You can find an 850A for dirt cheap now, relative to what they were selling for when they were first released.

post #766 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Why is some of the free clips available to watch immediately after purchase and others you have to wait for it to download? Thanks js
By default, the player is set for auto download, which you can access those settings under My 4K Videos. The player automatically downloads content. I'm not sure if it's every night, every other night, or how often it does this, and I'm also not sure exactly what it's set to autodownload, maybe the featured 4K videos. If you go into the settings under my 4K videos, you can turn off autodownload if you wish. Sony set it up this way so you'll always have something pre-recorded to watch and don't have to download something every time you want to watch something. I wish it would let you select what to autodownload and how much so I could hook up an external drive, larger than what's inside the box, and always have movies available. What sucks is if you decide you wanted to watch a movie or something at the last minute on a Friday night or something with your girlfriend, you can't do it unless it's something that's already been downloaded.
post #767 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Do we know for certain which movies were 'shot in 4K' vs upconverted to 4k?

Parker
post #768 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
By default, the player is set for auto download, which you can access those settings under My 4K Videos. The player automatically downloads content. I'm not sure if it's every night, every other night, or how often it does this, and I'm also not sure exactly what it's set to autodownload, maybe the featured 4K videos. If you go into the settings under my 4K videos, you can turn off autodownload if you wish. Sony set it up this way so you'll always have something pre-recorded to watch and don't have to download something every time you want to watch something. I wish it would let you select what to autodownload and how much so I could hook up an external drive, larger than what's inside the box, and always have movies available. What sucks is if you decide you wanted to watch a movie or something at the last minute on a Friday night or something with your girlfriend, you can't do it unless it's something that's already been downloaded.
If the HDD light is lit the X10 is dowloading content.

If you are watching content the download will pause.

If you want to stop the background downloads you can turn off the "Auto Download".
post #769 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbenda View Post
Do we know for certain which movies were 'shot in 4K' vs upconverted to 4k?

Parker
You can look it up on the IMDb site for each movie. There are no movies on Sony's site that are "upconverted" 4k. They were either shot in 4k (or higher) or they were shot on film and then mastered in 4k (or 8k). A 35mm film negative has an equivalent pixel resolution of at least 4k and usually higher.
post #770 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
You can look it up on the IMDb site for each movie. There are no movies on Sony's site that are "upconverted" 4k. They were either shot in 4k (or higher) or they were shot on film and then mastered in 4k (or 8k). A 35mm film negative has an equivalent pixel resolution of at least 4k and usually higher.
Most of the film industry has been using 4k camera's for some time now. Unfortunately, some of the older remastered material just doesn't look that good that was shot pre-4K, or someone just didn't do a very good restoration trying to clean it up. ..

post #771 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
Most of the film industry has been using 4k camera's for some time now. Unfortunately, some of the older remastered material just doesn't look that good that was shot pre-4K, or someone just didn't do a very good restoration trying to clean it up. ..

Unless they were shot in 70mm or Todd AO 65mm. Some of the films shot in the late 50's and 60's look spectacular when transferred to blu-ray if they used the original stock. Films like Ben-Hur, the 10 Commandments or Cleopatra etc.would look amazing if transferred to 4K. I believe Lawrence of Arabia was shot in 70mm and Cinerama, not sure about The Bridge on the River Kwai.

The content is out there but its has to come from other studios not just Sony. Recently watched The Longest day, My Fair Lady and Westside Story remastered for Blu-ray and they almost looked 4K.
Maybe in time more will be transferred to 4K because the original resolution is already 4k or above on some of the older movies. Unfortunately for us 70mm got too impractical to use.
TweakerInWA likes this.
post #772 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Being shot in 4K does not mean the final release will be 4K. Many projects shoot in 4K have been finished in 2K DI. Highly unlikely a 2K DI project will be redone in a 4K DI. Bottom line, check to see if a project has a 4K DI and then, and only then a home release in 4K (UHD) would be possible.
TweakerInWA likes this.
post #773 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
My initial thought is you had something already downloading. It won't download more than one title at a time. You can have multiple items selected, but all except the one actually downloading will show "download paused"... Just a thought. ..

Thanks for the reply.
I was only downloading the one thing. The next day when it was still on pause I chose to download a free 5 min doco to test it and it downloaded straight away and I was able to watch it. Went into Netflix and flicked through some stuff so no network issues there.
For the next 24hrs (I left it on) it when I checked after that it was still paused for The Amazing Spiderman 2.
It appears in 'My Movies' on my SEN account but not in my 'My Movies' on the X10 (as it has only partially downloaded). Resetting in the GUI or the button on the X10 does nothing to fix it ..I'm at a loss.

I won't lose any sleep over The Amazing Spiderman 2 but it's frustrating to not know why it did this. All from turning the X10 off overnight (Yes I did turn it off at the wall).

A warning to others I guess. Let's hope nobody has a blackout or power loss during downloading a movie.

Last edited by WIKED; 08-15-2014 at 06:33 PM.
post #774 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyoti View Post
When connected to HDMI 2 audio only on FMP-X10 to Denon AVR (X4000 and x3000) you do get PCM 3/2/.1 (5.1 Channel) via hdmi 2 but its does not actually output 5.1. If you check your left surround speaker, you will not get any audio from it or barely audible every few seconds. I have checked speakers and have hooked up 2 denon receivers with exact same result. That is when you watch the dowloaded 4k movies ONlY. If you watch netflix whether you use ARC on your TV or hdmi 2 audio out on fmp-x10 you will get 5.1.

I called sony and of course they said its a compatibilty issue on denon and they need to fix it.

Austin Jerry,

Can you please confirm my above findings and report back please?

Problem: using HDMI 2 on fmp web interface will show pcm 3/2/.1 but audio will onlybcome out from front right, center, front left and surround right. No sound or barely audible cutting off sound from left surround.

using denon x4000 and Klipsch reference speakers.

ARC only does PCM 2.0 on 4k downloaded movies.

Thanks!
Just to give my experience - I have a Denon x4000 and when I was watching breaking bad during the big gunfight (trying not to spoil for those unfamiliar), I went and checked the back left surround and it was definitely working. Now, the Denon display was indicating DD+, so maybe it's an issue when the FMP is sending multichannel instead of DD. I guess that would make sense since DD is having the receiver do the decoding rather than the FMP which must have an issue.

Also, FWIW, I've been emailing sony back and forth for about a week and a half about getting Amazing Spiderman 2 for free. They don't really seem to have their stuff together as it took me about 5 messages to get them to agree that they are currently offering it on their website. Most recently they just responded, "yes it is included" or something to that effect. Now' they've escalated it to account management since the player won't let me download it for free. If/when I get a solution, I'll let you all know. For $500, we should get at least 1 movie included! Heck, when I bought my PS3 back in christmas 07, Sony threw in 10 blu-rays. Granted, not all of them were good, but certainly better than a lot of the 4k content they're charging $35 for now..... /rant
post #775 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Just to give my experience - I have a Denon x4000 and when I was watching breaking bad during the big gunfight (trying not to spoil for those unfamiliar), I went and checked the back left surround and it was definitely working. Now, the Denon display was indicating DD+, so maybe it's an issue when the FMP is sending multichannel instead of DD. I guess that would make sense since DD is having the receiver do the decoding rather than the FMP which must have an issue.
OK, when you report your findings, you need to be more specific. Were you watching Breaking Bad from Netflix, or did you download the 4K version from SEN? When the problem was reported with no audio coming from the surround left channel, the context was for SEN content. I tested with Total Recall, and Spider-Man 2. Both displayed "Mult-Ch In" on the Denon display, and neither had any audio from the left surround.

When viewing Netflix content on the X10, the Denon display has "Dolby Digital" on the display, and the surrounds channels are working properly.

So, were you watching Netflix or content from SEN? Has anyone else tested for the surround bug when watching SEN content? I expected a big uproar from everyone.
post #776 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I know the FMP-X10 is supposed to be connected directly to a Sony 4k tv, but has anyone had any luck eliminating the random video flicker or dropout when running the video through an Onkyo HDCP 2.2 capable receiver?
post #777 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
OK, when you report your findings, you need to be more specific. Were you watching Breaking Bad from Netflix, or did you download the 4K version from SEN? When the problem was reported with no audio coming from the surround left channel, the context was for SEN content. I tested with Total Recall, and Spider-Man 2. Both displayed "Mult-Ch In" on the Denon display, and neither had any audio from the left surround.

When viewing Netflix content on the X10, the Denon display has "Dolby Digital" on the display, and the surrounds channels are working properly.

So, were you watching Netflix or content from SEN? Has anyone else tested for the surround bug when watching SEN content? I expected a big uproar from everyone.
Doh! Sorry, I meant to say it was Netflix but I forgot. Sorry about that.
post #778 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. Apples to oranges. Can we get some others to test out the surround channel audio issue when viewing SEN content, please? This is a big deal.
post #779 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
The problem only exists with "multi channel in". The problems exists ONLY when you play 4K movies that are downloaded via 4K Video unlimited and not through netflix. All speakers work when watching netflix via fmp-x10.
Seems like multi channel pcm 3/2/.1 is not being output correctly via fmp-x10 when watching 4k downloaded movies from Sony.
post #780 of 1774 Old 08-15-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Thanks for clarifying. Apples to oranges. Can we get some others to test out the surround channel audio issue when viewing SEN content, please? This is a big deal.

Any particular content you'd like me to try? Not too keen on dropping $35 if I may return this thing. Hopefully Sony will come through on the free Spider-Man offer in the next day or so.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread - fmp-x10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page