Sony FMP-X10 owners thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Most movies these days are being shot in 4K. I was on set a couple weeks ago, and they had 5 4K cameras setup for this one particular scene.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke02 View Post
Any particular content you'd like me to try? Not too keen on dropping $35 if I may return this thing. Hopefully Sony will come through on the free Spider-Man offer in the next day or so.
Several of the free video clips have 5.1 sound. I believe Eldorado is one of them. When the clip starts playing, the audio format is displayed. Give it a try, please.
post #783 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Several of the free video clips have 5.1 sound. I believe Eldorado is one of them. When the clip starts playing, the audio format is displayed. Give it a try, please.
Just tortured myself with 23 min of Karmin on Jimmy Kimmel... 5.1 recording...Sounded fine all the way around (not so much the music), but it was definitely a 5.1 track. No dropout's... El Dorado was tough, not to much being sent to the rears (what was was faint), which is why I went to Karmin on Kimmel.... During El Dorado I was getting a signal to my rears, I have a Rocketfish wireless rear setup to my Paradigm's, if it's not being sent a signal the box the rears connect to will flash. Checked a couple of my movies, Elysium and The Amazing Spiderman (1& 2) all three were okay.
post #784 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I tested the surround playback of the FMP-X10 and here is what I found.
I have the HDMI 2 output of the X10 connected to an HDMI input of an Anthem D2v 3D.
The Anthem processor settings are set for 5.1 audio with the ability to also play the audio as 7.1 by using PLIIx.
i have the X10 audio downmix set to Surround not Stereo
I used Sony Sen downloads Total Recall and the Amazing Spiderman and several others. Not Netflix videos.
With every Sony Sen video I played the Anthem indicated receiving a 5.1 48khz PCM signal of LF Rf C LR RR and Sub.
I could hear audio from all 5.1 speakers and from all the 7.1 speakers when using PLIIx.

I have also been extensively testing some of the other X10 features.
Trying different external drive setups I have been unable to get the X10 to recognize more than 1 external USB hard drive in a multi drive array or when using a externally powered multi port USB adapter .

I am also testing the video player and have discovered it is a real multipurpose streaming device.
A detailed report on the video player will follow shortly after I test some additional codecs and formats.
TweakerInWA likes this.
post #785 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

@Tweaker : Thanks for running a test. But I still don't think we are to the bottom of this problem yet. I played the Karmin clip as well (God, I hate that music), and I was getting all five channels. I tried Eldorado as well, but it doesn't have much surround content, as you say. But then I tried another movie, this time Salt, and no sound from the left surround channel. Perhaps it has something to do with the player's decoding of lossless audio into PCM that is the issue. I believe Salt, and most of the other movies, are DTD HD MSTR, although there is no direct way to confirm this.

So, we need someone to play a movie, not a clip, to see if the problem is duplicated. And, if you run the test, also report the make/model of your AVR. Sony is always quick to blame various AVR manufacturers as being incompatible with the player. I have a Denon.
post #786 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

I am also testing the video player and have discovered it is a real multipurpose streaming device.
A detailed report on the video player will follow shortly after I test some additional codecs and formats.
Looking forward to it....

I have the X10 downmix set to surround as well. Also have my Onkyo's HDCP 2.2 input (which the X10's audio is being sent to) setup for Pure Audio on incoming PCM and straight decode for DD, DTS, True-HD....

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
post #787 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 08:50 PM

Yes, if you're testing codecs, let me know what format to burn a movie to using either Nero, DIVX, Cyberlink, Amersoft, etc so I can convert a lot of my movies that are in a digital format to 4k and play them from a USB drive plugged into the media player. I'm in the process of building a new water cooled PC with an awesome graphics card, and I'm wondering if I should put wheels on it so I can move it from my home office to my bedroom, which is where I have my 4K setup.
post #788 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I tested the surround playback of the FMP-X10 and here is what I found.
I have the HDMI 2 output of the X10 connected to an HDMI input of an Anthem D2v 3D.
The Anthem processor settings are set for 5.1 audio with the ability to also play the audio as 7.1 by using PLIIx.
i have the X10 audio downmix set to Surround not Stereo
I used Sony Sen downloads Total Recall and the Amazing Spiderman and several others. Not Netflix videos.
With every Sony Sen video I played the Anthem indicated receiving a 5.1 48khz PCM signal of LF Rf C LR RR and Sub.
I could hear audio from all 5.1 speakers and from all the 7.1 speakers when using PLIIx.
Something is not right with your configuration. The player should be passing 5.1 audio as PCM and the Anthem should be playing the audio either as Multi-channel or as Dolby Digital. PLII is 5.1 audio synthesized from a two-channel source. To me, this indicates that the Anthem is either not configured properly, or it is only receiving a two-channel signal.

Your thoughts?
post #789 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 09:00 PM

I wish I wouldn't have sold me Mirage speakers when I built my house and had Sonance speakers put in the ceiling around the house. I feel like setting up my old home theater equipment in my bedroom so I can hear all these movies better. I also wish I would have bought Sony's 4K projector a few months ago instead of this 1080P 3D 300" projector. The 4K resolution is incredible, but I'd like to see what the difference looks like at 300".
post #790 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, but this audio problem is driving me nuts. I changed the Downmix setting to "Surround" and played Total Recall, which has a lot of action in the surround channels. I also turned off my Emotiva XPA-3, which powers LCR so that the surrounds are the only channels playing. It is absolutely confirmed that the left surround is deader than a doornail when playing Total Recall, but active when playing the Karmin clip.

Ideas, anyone?

Last edited by AustinJerry; 08-15-2014 at 09:30 PM.
post #791 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Something is not right with your configuration. The player should be passing 5.1 audio as PCM and the Anthem should be playing the audio either as Multi-channel or as Dolby Digital. PLII is 5.1 audio synthesized from a two-channel source. To me, this indicates that the Anthem is either not configured properly, or it is only receiving a two-channel signal.

Your thoughts?
I agree with you. If you're truly getting a digital signal, PLII shouldn't even be an option. Most receivers can be set on auto so you can hear sound no matter if the signal is digital or PCM, but if he were to change his input from auto to digital, if he doesn't hear anything, he's getting a PCM signsl.
post #792 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 09:18 PM

Actually, I don't think setting anything to "surround" will make a difference if you have a digital signal because each speaker has its own track. If a digital signal is coming through, somewhere on the front of your receiver it'll say digital, or a light might come on to indicate digital sound. It's like watching something in DTS ES, or Neo DTS, which is an analog signal converted to sound like a digital signal. If it were a digital signal, a 7.1 signal would play in either DTS ES or Dolby Digital EX, not Pro Logic.
post #793 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sorry, but this audio proble is driving me nuts. I changed the Downmix setting to "Surround" and played Total Recall, which has a lot of action in the surround channels. I also turned off my Emotiva XPA-3, which powers LCR so that the surrounds are the only channels playing. It is absolutely confirmed that the left surround is deader than a doornail when playing Total Recall, but active when playing the Karmin clip.

Ideas, anyone?
I would have to download either Salt or Total Recall for comparison, but we both know how long that's going to take. I will start downloading one of them, I like both, any suggestions as to which has the better 4K pq. ..

post #794 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
I would have to download either Salt or Total Recall for comparison, but we both know how long that's going to take. I will start downloading one of them, I like both, any suggestions as to which has the better 4K pq. ..

I have not watched either movie in its 4K format yet. I'll defer to someone who has. From the brief passages of Total Recall that I have watched while conducting tests, the quality looks pretty good.
post #795 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Also, I am getting audio to the SL channel on the Total Recall preview.... My Onkyo's getting kicked out of Pure Audio the way it's currently configured lol.... When Total Recall was released on Blu-ray, audio format was Dolby TrueHD. I would assume it's the same. Salt was DTS-HD..... so that just doesn't help narrow things down one bit!!....lol

post #796 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your thoughts?
You might be confusing PLII with PLIIx
The Anthem is equipped with PLIIx to enable it to play 7.1 with 5.1 sources.
Either PLIIx Music or PLIIx Movie.
As I indicated the Anthem D2v processor indicates it is receiving a 5.1 48khz PCM signal
consisting of LF, C, RF, RR, LR and Sub. To test I temporarily turned off the 7.1 and listened to the 5.1 audio first.
post #797 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have not watched either movie in its 4K format yet. I'll defer to someone who has. From the brief passages of Total Recall that I have watched while conducting tests, the quality looks pretty good.
Total Recall comes pre-loaded, so I just purchased it. Any specific scene you want to compare, or you just don't get audio out of the SL channel period?
post #798 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Sure as sh*t, no audio from the SL channel... As a matter of fact, it will completely drop both SL and SR occasionally. Hmmmmm, Sony should be getting a ton of calls from folks here....Ridiculous
post #799 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
I agree with you. If you're truly getting a digital signal, PLII shouldn't even be an option. Most receivers can be set on auto so you can hear sound no matter if the signal is digital or PCM, but if he were to change his input from auto to digital, if he doesn't hear anything, he's getting a PCM signsl.
PCM is a digital signal and we are using HDMI which only carries a digital signal.
Though a few users are using optical but it is still PCM digital but might be at a lower bit rate

The FMP-X10 is NOT capable in its current design of playing the Lossless audio codecs of
Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master.
Sony may not have wanted to pay the licensing fees or maybe the lossless formats
would have contained larger files to download.

Sony is confusing the normal setup by misnaming some of the parameters
In the audio setup they give you the option of Downmix. Stereo or Surround .
In reality I have read the video file specs with Media Info and almost all except some real old 4k videos Sony is offering contain a surround signal. So you can Downmix to stereo or leave it as a surround file. Confusing.
The same for selecting PCM or Auto. I have no idea what they are inferring as the audio is already PCM.
So what setting it to Auto achieves I have no idea and neither does Sony CS. when I asked them.

Last edited by thestewman; 08-15-2014 at 10:03 PM.
post #800 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sure as sh*t, no audio from the SL channel... As a matter of fact, it will completely drop both SL and SR occasionally. Hmmmmm, Sony should be getting a ton of calls from folks here....Ridiculous
Describe your audio setup. The processor,connections, etc
Is this a 5.1 setup ?
Some scenes have no surround info so the speakers can by quite quiet
post #801 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Sorry, but this audio problem is driving me nuts. I changed the Downmix setting to "Surround" and played Total Recall, which has a lot of action in the surround channels. I also turned off my Emotiva XPA-3, which powers LCR so that the surrounds are the only channels playing. It is absolutely confirmed that the left surround is deader than a doornail when playing Total Recall, but active when playing the Karmin clip.

Ideas, anyone?
Yup! Left surround sound speaker is active when playing Karmin but is dead when playing all other titles. I've tested the following movies with no sound from left surround.
Total Recall, Spiderman, Spiderman 2, Patriot, A few good men, smurfs 2...basically every movie I have dl'ed from SEN with HDMI 2 audio out - I get no sound from left surround. Changed downmix from stereo to surround and back to stereo. Confirmed Denon is receiving 5.1 48khz pcm digital from fmp-x10. Anyways, seems like sony prefers jacking up prices on their 4k movies instead of fixing the hdmi 2 audio issues. If ya'll figure out a fix, please let us know. In the meantime, i'll just use my ARC for audio.
post #802 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Describe your audio setup. The processor,connections, etc
Is this a 5.1 setup ?
Some scenes have no surround info so the speakers can by quite quiet
No problems with my setup... If I watch the Total Recall preview on 4K Unlimited I get audio from all speakers, after purchase and playing the same scene off the HDD, no audio from the SL channel. The SR is stable, was probably just a sync issue earlier.
post #803 of 1531 Old 08-15-2014, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Actually, I don't think setting anything to "surround" will make a difference if you have a digital signal because each speaker has its own track. If a digital signal is coming through, somewhere on the front of your receiver it'll say digital, or a light might come on to indicate digital sound. It's like watching something in DTS ES, or Neo DTS, which is an analog signal converted to sound like a digital signal. If it were a digital signal, a 7.1 signal would play in either DTS ES or Dolby Digital EX, not Pro Logic.
Guys
All these different Dolby and DTS codecs are digital.
You only have two choices Analog or Digital.
DTS ES, DTS Neo Dolby Digital Ex etc are just older digital formats that are highly compressed after encoding
post #804 of 1531 Old 08-16-2014, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have an issue with the x-10 it won't let me purchase anything, all I get is an empty black bar where I assume the purchase box is. I can't even download preview trailers.
post #805 of 1531 Old 08-16-2014, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubs92 View Post
I have an issue with the x-10 it won't let me purchase anything, all I get is an empty black bar where I assume the purchase box is. I can't even download preview trailers.
Did you go online and actually create a SEN account?

Can't believe I got up at 5:00 am on a Saturday for the BPL season kickoff...zzzzzz

post #806 of 1531 Old 08-16-2014, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You might be confusing PLII with PLIIx
The Anthem is equipped with PLIIx to enable it to play 7.1 with 5.1 sources.
Either PLIIx Music or PLIIx Movie.
As I indicated the Anthem D2v processor indicates it is receiving a 5.1 48khz PCM signal
consisting of LF, C, RF, RR, LR and Sub. To test I temporarily turned off the 7.1 and listened to the 5.1 audio first.
I am not confused. Both PLII and PLIIx are synthesized multi-channel formats, not discrete digital formats. Not being familiar with Anthem, I don't know why it would display PLII if it is receiving a discrete 5.1 source. My Denon will not even allow PLII when the source is discrete.

I think we have enough feedback to indicate that there is a real issue with the X10 audio, so the next step should be to report it to Sony.
post #807 of 1531 Old 08-16-2014, 08:07 AM

I know this thread is for the FMP-X10, which I finally got working after returning the first one, but has anyone bought one of Sony's DVD players and played one of their DVD's which are "Mastered in 4K?"
post #808 of 1531 Old 08-16-2014, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
I know this thread is for the FMP-X10, which I finally got working after returning the first one, but has anyone bought one of Sony's DVD players and played one of their DVD's which are "Mastered in 4K?"
In June '13, I bought the 65/900A, the X1 and a BDP-790. The TV purchase offered "Spiderman" (2002), "Ghostbusters" and "Angels and Demons" on Blu-ray, Remastered in 4K. The Blu-ray player is not set to upconvert, the TV does that.

What is your question?
post #809 of 1531 Old 08-16-2014, 08:57 AM

Well, I actually have 2 questions. First, I'm just wondering if the DVDs, which read "Mastered in 4K" have a better picture or have better sound than just a regular Blu Ray disk played on a 4k TV. Second, since most, if not all, 4K TVs upconvert, why would anyone buy a something like Sony's new BDP-S7200, which is supposed to upscale to 4K, access to Netfix, SEN, etc? If someone owns a 4K TV and already has a Blu Ray player (not this particular one) what's the benefit of owning this new Blu Ray player? 4K TVs already have a lot of these features built-in. Unless someone owns a different brand of TV, it'll give them access to SEN, other than that, I don't see the benefit. And to combine the questions, if someone were to watch Spiderman 2 Mastered in 4K on this new Blu Ray player, will it look better, worse, or the same as watching it on the FMP-X10?
post #810 of 1531 Old 08-16-2014, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Did you go online and actually create a SEN account?

Can't believe I got up at 5:00 am on a Saturday for the BPL season kickoff...zzzzzz

Yes, I had an account that I logged into.

Edit: fired it up this morning and it allowed me to download and purchase content. Don't know what happened last night.

Last edited by Grubs92; 08-16-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread - fmp-x10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page