Forum Jump: 

post #841 of 1294 Old 08-17-2014, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
Ok, so the Toslink outputs the same as the HDMI ARC (audio return channel). Not sure why Sony gimped the X10 with a HDMI 1 that can't pass multichannel audio to the TV.
Two theories in my mind 1) Sony and most of the MPAA are so paranoid about piracy that they ruin everything with DRM BS. I'm guessing the HDMI audio issues we're having have something to do with that or 2) The HDMI bandwidth that Sony has implemented in the sets can just barely handle the throughput requirements of 4k60p, so to prevent video dropouts, which would be much more noticeable to john q public, they hobbled the audio output on HDMI 1. Combined with paranoia over using HDMI2 for audio because of reason 1) and you get the morass we're currently in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 1294 Old 08-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
You can try and have Sony send you another one. I had the same problem on my X1 and they sent me 2 different ones before it worked right.
They first tried to fix over the phone and finally said we will send you a replacement. Not sure if they will do this for the X10, you would need to ask, but they are aware of the problem.
Which is ridiculous AGAIN ? !

I spent the better part of 5 hours (guesstimate) on the phone with them trying to work on sync issues with the X1, now in turn I'm going to have to do that again with the X10 ? I mean when does enough become enough? There's no way on God's green earth that these people weren't aware of these issues before throwing this thing on the market. Now I'm going to have to go pulling plugs again over some undetermined period of time so they can send me another unfinished, gimmicky, glitchy POS that doesn't even put out 5.1 audio ?

I think it's time Sony had a get together around the development table and pulled their heads out of their asses. It's obvious the measures they've taken to lock down this product have had such a negative impact on it's functionality that it's become nothing more than a 4K gimmick at this point that should have customers with pitchforks and torches lined up outside of Sony headquarters.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 08-17-2014 at 09:39 AM.
post #843 of 1294 Old 08-17-2014, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On the 850A, the Toslink digital out the same signal that's going in, so if you're watching something in 5.1, the audio out from the TV will be 5.1, just as long as the TV is set to use external speakers and your device isn't connected to HDMI 1.
post #844 of 1294 Old 08-17-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
Which is ridiculous AGAIN ? !

I spent the better part of 5 hours (guesstimate) on the phone with them trying to work on sync issues with the X1, now in turn I'm going to have to do that again with the X10 ? I mean when does enough become enough? There's no way on God's green earth that these people weren't aware of these issues before throwing this thing on the market. Now I'm going to have to go pulling plugs again over some undetermined period of time so they can send me another unfinished, gimmicky, glitchy POS that doesn't even put out 5.1 audio ?

I think it's time Sony had a get together around the development table and pulled their heads out of their asses. It's obvious the measures they've taken to lock down this product have had such a negative impact on it's functionality that it's become nothing more than a 4K gimmick at this point that should have customers with pitchforks and torches lined up outside of Sony headquarters.

Agreed. This hardware defect should have been worked out before they released the X10. For some reason I am still getting audio to my receiver via HDMI but would not be surprised if it drops out again.
If it does I will keep making Sony sending me news ones. That costs them money and maybe that will get their attention.
post #845 of 1294 Old 08-17-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I get audio dropouts if viewing any 4k content, downloaded or streaming, with the fmp-x10 connected directly to the tv. I also get video flicker/dropouts if routing the video through the onkyo 636. Onkyo support had me turn off the AVR upscaling, but this did not fix anything. They suggested I turn off the TVs upscaling, I'm not sure this is possible. I think I give up and will return both products.
post #846 of 1294 Old 08-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenButteredJam View Post
I get audio dropouts if viewing any 4k content, downloaded or streaming, with the fmp-x10 connected directly to the tv. I also get video flicker/dropouts if routing the video through the onkyo 636. Onkyo support had me turn off the AVR upscaling, but this did not fix anything. They suggested I turn off the TVs upscaling, I'm not sure this is possible. I think I give up and will return both products.
I've tried everything to route the X10 through my Onkyo 838, no luck. It's not an issue on Onkyo's end. I'll be keeping the 838 as Dolby Atmos will be introduced via a firmware update next month and I really like it.

As for the Sony stuff......I guess I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what my options are.

post #847 of 1294 Old 08-17-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
On the 850A, the Toslink digital out the same signal that's going in, so if you're watching something in 5.1, the audio out from the TV will be 5.1, just as long as the TV is set to use external speakers and your device isn't connected to HDMI 1.
If you read my previous post, when you turn on the X10, audio on the display automatically reverts to "TV Speakers", and only 2-channel sound is output.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #848 of 1294 Old 08-17-2014, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well, I experimented and you can add my name to those who are getting the Surround Left Channel issue. I purchased Amazing Spiderman 2 and played it because it has a lot of audio oomph. What I found was that if I literally pulled my left surround speaker off the wall and put it up to my ear then I could hear a very low level sound coming through that was nowhere near the volume of the other channels. This also seemed to cut in and out.

On the curiouser front... all attempts to run the fmp-x10 through my Onkyo 636 have resulted in that one or two second dropout or flicker that occurs at odd intervals. Unlike some others, except for the Surround Left issue, my sound has been rock solid whether going through the HDMI 1 or using the HDMI 2 port, so that has been good news.

The odd but helpful thing is that while you can't use any receiver, even the completely spec compliant HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 Onkyo line of receivers to switch your video, you CAN use a basic passive HDMI A/B switch. I've been using it all weekend to switch between the media player and output from the Onkyo 636 for everything else. It consistently works for the fmp-x10. It's one of those simple "HDMI "Bi-direction Switch" like you can get from sewelldirect or fleabay. I got mine from the bay. Here's a link to the product I ordered. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Bi-dire...item19f2364374.

Frankly, I'm shocked it worked. It was the last thing I tried before running an extra 25 foot run of HDMI cable to my projector and I almost didn't even try it because I didn't think it would work.
post #849 of 1294 Old 08-17-2014, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post

Frankly, I'm shocked it worked. It was the last thing I tried before running an extra 25 foot run of HDMI cable to my projector and I almost didn't even try it because I didn't think it would work.
So if I get the way your chain is going, you have the X10 HDMI 1 and your Onkyo's Main out running into the switch, then the switch to HDMI 4 on your display? That's very odd considering that switch only looks like it supports 1080p, yet you're still passing a 4K feed through it. Did you try running it through the switch, then to the HDCP 2.2 input of the AVR just for the heck of it? Curious to know if that might help establish a better sync and remedy the video flickr, it's a long shot, but yah never know. ....

post #850 of 1294 Old 08-17-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
This has been discussed before. If you go into the audio settings and change the speakers option from TV speakers to external speakers, then the Toslink will pass multichannel 5.1 audio to the AVR if you are using the TV's internal apps. This works fine, for example, for the internal Netflix app.

If, however, you fire up the X10, you will see an on-screen message "Switching audio to TV speakers" (why, I haven't a clue). With audio set to TV speakers, the Toslink only passes 2-channel sound. So, if you watch a movie or view a clip, all you will get is 2-channel audio, which you can configure to play in PLII Cinema on the AVR, which is not too bad. I haven't tested the Netflix app on the X10, but I suspect the behavior is the same. IOW, nice 4K streaming with 2-channel audio.

you will see an on-screen message "Switching audio to TV speakers"
I have never seen that message when I start up my X10 using Toslink.

Last edited by dreaux; 08-17-2014 at 04:04 PM.
post #851 of 1294 Old 08-17-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
you will see an on-screen message "Switching audio to TV speakers"
I have never seen that message when I start up my X10 using Toslink.
OK, we all need to get on the same page. If you set the audio to HDMI2 to the AVR, set the TV speakers to "Audio System", power on the X10, access My 4K Videos, and play a movie, you will get the message. Here is a video showing the message: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20speakers.MOV

If, however, you configure audio out on the X10 to be HDMI1 in order to use the TV's Toslink connection back to the AVR, and configure the TV to use "Audio System", then the "Switching Audio to TV Speakers" message doesn't display. However, after playing the movie on the X10, if you go back into the Audio configuration menu on the TV, you will see that it has indeed switched to "TV Speakers". While playing the movie, you will also notice that the movie audio is 2-channel.

To be honest, I don't know how I can explain the audio behavior any better. I have done this over and over again, trying to understand the peculiar behavior, so I feel I know what I am talking about. There is a possibility that your system behaves differently, but that would make this whole audio issue even more complicated.

post #852 of 1294 Old 08-17-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
So if I get the way your chain is going, you have the X10 HDMI 1 and your Onkyo's Main out running into the switch, then the switch to HDMI 4 on your display? That's very odd considering that switch only looks like it supports 1080p, yet you're still passing a 4K feed through it. Did you try running it through the switch, then to the HDCP 2.2 input of the AVR just for the heck of it? Curious to know if that might help establish a better sync and remedy the video flickr, it's a long shot, but yah never know. ....

I know it's advertised as a 1080P 3D Switch, but that translates into HDMI 1.4 and in the specs it listed "4kx2k" support. Also the identical product is listed as 4k capable on other websites. I figured it might work because 1) the bandwidth transmitted is the same in these first gen 4k products (10.6 Gbps instead of 18 Gbps in the future), 2) It simply sends the signal without change going forward unlike more expensive switches that boost and retransmit and 3) it's bi-directional so the player and projector can talk to each other.

I have the FMP-X10 HDMI 2 (the 4k port on the FMP-X10) going into Port 1 of my Switch. I have the audio routed from the FMP X10 HDMI Port 2 (the audio port) going into the Onkyo Receiver (Using the HDMI2.0 / HDCP2.2 port). The Onkyo Main Output goes into Port 2 of my Switch (for use of my other devices running through the AVR). The switch feeds a signal via HDMI into the 4k active port on the Sony 4k Device (which for me is HDMI 2).

I haven't tried running the HDMI 1 (4k) port from the FMP to the Switch and then through the receiver. I'll try it and let you know the results.
TweakerInWA and ggpublic like this.

Last edited by billqs; 08-17-2014 at 05:42 PM.
post #853 of 1294 Old 08-17-2014, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post

I have the FMP-X10 HDMI 2 (the 4k port on the FMP-X10) going into Port 1 of my Switch. I have the audio routed from the FMP X10 HDMI Port 2 (the audio port) going into the Onkyo Receiver (Using the HDMI2.0 / HDCP2.2 port). The Onkyo Main Output goes into Port 2 of my Switch (for use of my other devices running through the AVR). The switch feeds a signal via HDMI into the 4k active port on the Sony 4k Device (which for me is HDMI 2).

I haven't tried running the HDMI 1 (4k) port from the FMP to the Switch and then through the receiver. I'll try it and let you know the results.
I see now, you are running audio through the switch, that shouldn't be an issue as HDCP isn't involved...I doubt you'll be able to pass video however..But it doesn't hurt to try.

EDIT: After rereading your post again, I guess you are running it (4k video) through the switch. Didn't think that would work, at all.....But yet we can't run it through a HDCP compliant AVR..Ridiculous

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 08-17-2014 at 08:01 PM.
post #854 of 1294 Old 08-17-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK, we all need to get on the same page. If you set the audio to HDMI2 to the AVR, set the TV speakers to "Audio System", power on the X10, access My 4K Videos, and play a movie, you will get the message. Here is a video showing the message: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20speakers.MOV

If, however, you configure audio out on the X10 to be HDMI1 in order to use the TV's Toslink connection back to the AVR, and configure the TV to use "Audio System", then the "Switching Audio to TV Speakers" message doesn't display. However, after playing the movie on the X10, if you go back into the Audio configuration menu on the TV, you will see that it has indeed switched to "TV Speakers". While playing the movie, you will also notice that the movie audio is 2-channel.

To be honest, I don't know how I can explain the audio behavior any better. I have done this over and over again, trying to understand the peculiar behavior, so I feel I know what I am talking about. There is a possibility that your system behaves differently, but that would make this whole audio issue even more complicated.

I have the TV set on "Audio System" and the X10 set to HDMI 2 audio out to my AVR audio system. I do not get a "Switching Audio to TV speakers" when I play a movie. I have unplugged the Toslink and only have the HDMI plugged into my AVR. I wonder if not having an optical plugged in prevents the set going to TV speakers.

Right now I am getting my audio out of HDMI 2 from the X10, however when I was using the Toslink I had the X10 audio on HDMI 1 and was getting sound going through the set, in which case I had to change the audio setting on the set to TV speakers and on the X10 sound downmix to 'Surround'

We do have one difference in hardware. I have the 84X900 set but I believe the setup is the same as your set with the X10. Other than that I am not sure what is different.
Right now I am lucky enough to have HDMI 2 from the X10 to my AVR for audio. For how long I don't know since it could drop out at any time.
post #855 of 1294 Old 08-17-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder if not having an optical plugged in prevents the set going to TV speakers.
I'll try this and see if it changes the behavior. There are so many permutations to try. I just wish it would work properly.

post #856 of 1294 Old 08-17-2014, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
2 questions if I'm not downloading anything at the moment with the bitrate speed shoe zero? Also if I buy a preloaded clip and then erase it will I have more room in the hard drive or is it still loaded? Thanks
post #857 of 1294 Old 08-17-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:

EDIT: After rereading your post again, I guess you are running it (4k video) through the switch. Didn't think that would work, at all.....But yet we can't run it through a HDCP compliant AVR..Ridiculous

I am passing 4k video through the switch which I was pretty darn sure wouldn't work either. I had already opened the bag on the monoprice 25foot HDMI cable, but before I cut the tape holding it together, I chastised myself for not at least trying the switch I got for $1.67 off of ebay, just so I could rule it out. I was so shocked that it worked that I didn't post it on here until I had used the FMP-X10 for a full weekend with a variety of content just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

I agree it is beyond ridiculous that we cannot run the video through an HDCP compliant AVR. I had two great AVRs before I bought the Onkyo- an H/K 2600 and a Yamaha 675. There was no 4k compatibility with the H/K so it probably needed to go, but all the Yammy lacked was HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, it still put through 4k@30hz, which would have been fine if I'm forced to run a separate connection for autdio from the player, and also would have worked for my newly revamped HTPC that I am using experimenting with 4k resolution. Luckily, the Onkyo sounds great so it's not like I was forced to buy a dud, but I did have to go up a couple of hundred dollars in an already cash strapped upgrade (plus lose the Yamaha proprietary (e.g knockoff) version of Dolby PLIIz that had terminals for both rear surrounds AND extra front height speakers.)

I think a better test would be to hook the FMP-X10 directly to the Onkyo, then apply the switch at the Onkyo's output. This might produce good results if there is a signal difference that is causing the one second drop flicker that happens. It really doesn't look like an intentional block Sony put (which I would expect to be much more heavy-handed, like the Cinavia shutdown or all the anti-piracy crap they make those of us that actually buy content watch.)

Last edited by billqs; 08-17-2014 at 10:00 PM.
post #858 of 1294 Old 08-17-2014, 10:53 PM

Sadly, neither further experiment was a success... running the video output of the FMP directly into the Onkyo and hooking the Onkyo to the switch, then the switch to the projector, or running the FMP 4k through the switch then through the AVR worked. I do think a firmware upgrade either from Sony or Onkyo could probably solve the issue, but I'm not at all sure it will happen.

So, the manual switch with one signal coming directly out of the FMP's 4k port and the other coming out of the HDMI signal from the Receiver appears the only way to dependably get an FMP signal. The other items on my Onkyo work fine plugged directly into the receiver.

I feel much better about getting a firmware fix for the audio, especially after we all pester the fool out of them.
TweakerInWA likes this.

Last edited by billqs; 08-17-2014 at 11:31 PM.
post #859 of 1294 Old 08-18-2014, 03:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
2 questions if I'm not downloading anything at the moment with the bitrate speed shoe zero? Also if I buy a preloaded clip and then erase it will I have more room in the hard drive or is it still loaded? Thanks
The download speed will show "zero" when there is no activity. On the X1, they used to trickle load material and the speed would show things as low as 750Kbps, then go back to zero when it finished.

If when you go to any stored material, there is an option to delete, it will open space on the internal drive, once deleted.

I ended up getting a 3TB Western Digital external drive for the X10, figuring I'd dump movies on that for storage.

I'm still waiting for Sony to decide whether I get back the 10 features from the X1 trade.
post #860 of 1294 Old 08-19-2014, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm now on Gigabit fiber. I'm speedtesting at 950megabits/second up and down.

SO WHY IS THIS STUPID FMP-X10 ONLY DOWNLOADING AT 12 MBPS?

Seriously, wtf Sony? We spend $35 a movie and you won't put enough bandwidth in so it takes less than 20 hours to download a movie.

This is getting old--fast.

Parker
post #861 of 1294 Old 08-19-2014, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Did nobody else get UV codes for their movies before? Was I just lucky or did it have something to do with the X1? The UV codes were the only reason I didn't feel so bad on splurging on the 4K movies, but now it's like buying in DVHS all over again...

Abstract yourself!
post #862 of 1294 Old 08-19-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbenda View Post
I'm now on Gigabit fiber. I'm speedtesting at 950megabits/second up and down.

SO WHY IS THIS STUPID FMP-X10 ONLY DOWNLOADING AT 12 MBPS?

Seriously, wtf Sony? We spend $35 a movie and you won't put enough bandwidth in so it takes less than 20 hours to download a movie.

This is getting old--fast.

Parker
It has been discussed many times--Sony is limiting bandwidth allocation. As you can imagine, Sony would not be able to provide every customer with a simultaneous gigabit connection. There has been some variance in the reported download speeds, with the average being close to 17-18 Mbs. As someone told me, if I ordered the shiny disk from Netflix, it would take several days to arrive. A 24-hour download is actually a faster turnaround. And if that still isn't fast enough, then pick a movie that can be immediately streamed.

post #863 of 1294 Old 08-19-2014, 05:15 PM

Liked: 5
FMPX10/2 channel/Downloading Speeds Issues

Background----I own the Sony 4k 65 inch 850A and bought it at Best Buy when first released at $5K (yikes!!!)...and just last week got the FMPX10 (bought that at the pre-sales price of $499)..Installation easy...I also own an older Lexicon MC12 processor that was bought years ago at $9K...so you must come to the conclusion I like a "good home theatre system" (also own 5 Aerial Acoustic Speakers to complete my Home Theatre )...Now getting to what my post is all about...Hooked up the media player HDMI 1 (audio/video)to my TV's HDMI 4 port. Then because my Lexicon is older and does not have HDMI at all (only toslink and Coaxial)..I am running a toslink out of my TV to my Lexicon. Works great for my HD cable box( NOTE:Turning off TV speakers to Audio System in the TV menu)...It outputs 5.1 Digital when it is fed 5.1 material and Logic 7 when it is not being fed a 5.1 signal. The front panel of the Lexicon changes each time when the feed changes from 5.1 Dolby Digital to Logic 7 Dolby Digital.So I know the Toslink of the TV does run 5.1 Dolby Digital thru the TV and out of the TV.
With the media player installed as I noted above all is well and works the same with streaming 4K/5.1 Dolby Digital material from Netflix (House of Cards is 1 example)..But as noted in the previous posts when downloading a movie (the Free "Spider Man 2"-or- free short clip in 4K/5.1 Dolby Digital )the TV Toslink only passes 2 channel to my Lexicon receiver. The front panel of my Lexicon tells me so. I thought something was wrong with the media player but have read the previous posts and conclude this is the Norm. I am living with this and a little frustrated. Not only are the movies mostly $30.00+ but it does play in 4K BUT not in the 5.1 Dolby Digital that I prefer. You get 1 but not the other. Frustrating. Can someone tell me why???? Netflix streaming in 4K/5.1 is fine...TV passes 5.1 signal out of it's Toslink to my Lexicon...fine and all is well..just like my HD cable box does BUT not for Downloading. You get only 4K but only 2 channel Stereo thru the TV toslink to my Lexicon.

and by the way...my "Spider Man 2" Download took about 5 hours...Not that bad as some have reported taking 20 hours + to Download a movie...and when checking the Download Speed /Current Bit Rate in the media player menu (My 4K video /Settings) it showed anywhere from 20 to almost 35 mps whenever DownLoading so that is not that bad...I get usually with my laptop checking Speed test.com Download speeds anywhere from 65-75 mps and Upload at aroung 45 (NOTE- I am wired CAT 6 Ethernet Cable..I prefer Wired LAN to wireless)

ALSO-Can someone also let me know if Downloading occurs when shuting off the media player at night. Or does the Downloading stop or pause. I know the HDD light on the front panel lights up White whenever Downloading is occuring or if you are deleting)..
post #864 of 1294 Old 08-19-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Regarding the limitation of 2-channel playback when using the Toslink connection, I think you have described exactly how it behaves. Why it behaves this way I don't think anyone here has that answer--it's just the way it is.

Of course, if you were to get a processor with HDMI inputs, you could connect HDMI2 from the player to the processor. This might work. I must emphasize might, because even this way of connecting is not working for many of us. To me, it would be risky to replace a fine $9K processor with a new one, only to have the player audio still not work properly.

And yes, downloads will continue in the background if the player is powered off.

post #865 of 1294 Old 08-19-2014, 06:17 PM

Liked: 5
FMPX10/2 channel/Downloading Speeds Issues

Thanks for your prompt reply. I am very glad I found this Forum to discuss such matters since calling Sony and speaking to their representatives is the last thing I want to do (my past expierences like others have reported have been dreadful).

Maybe this 2 channel audio issue being passed from TV toslink to my Lexicon (when I playback a Downloaded movie or clip) can be corrected with a firmware update. Do you think? Or there is a purpose (copyright issue,etc)that may be the cause and this is not going to change. Steaming works perfectly but it is this Download situation that doesnt work as I was hoping for)

I have also recently read your earlier posts claiming that the TV setting automatically changes from Audio System setting to TV speakers setting (playing back downloaded content) But I have checked and my TV setting has stayed as intended and never changed from the Audio system setting.

Otherwise happy with my FMPX10. I am hoping for more content (and cheaper content)....other than Netflix is something else coming down soon (Vudu,Amazon 4K streaming for example).

Also I have noted my Downloading is not a problem. I am getting very good speeds when checking My 4K videos/settings/Download speed) roughly 25-35.

Thanks again......
post #866 of 1294 Old 08-19-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I was double-checking the behavior of Netflix audio this evening, with my X900a and the X10 player. My X900a has both an HDMI cable and a Toslink cable to my Denon AVR. The X10 player is connected to the display on HDMI4, and is also connected to the AVR from the player's HDMI2 audio output. Here is what I observed:

- Using the X900a's Netflix app, and with the X900a's sound configured for "Audio System", 5.1 sound is output on the Toslink connection and plays on the AVR as 5.1. This configuration is limited to 1080p content, of course.

- Using the X10's Netflix app, and using the HDMI1 audio output option which routes audio to the display, and then back to the AVR over Toslink, audio was limited to 2.0, i.e. Stereo. Of course, the stereo signal can be played back using PLII Cinema simulated multichannel sound.

- Using the X10's Netflix app, and using the HDMI2 audio output option directly to the AVR, the player passes 5.1 audio to the AVR. The Denon displays "Mult CH In", indicating a 5.1 PCM signal. Unfortunately, the audio signal is not stable, exhibiting dropouts ever 1-2 seconds.

So, if an X10 owner wants to enjoy nice streaming 4K content from Netflix, be prepared for 2-channel sound.

If you want to stream 1080p content with 5.1 sound, use the display's Netflix app, not the player's app.

If anyone has a different experience, please describe it.
turls likes this.

post #867 of 1294 Old 08-19-2014, 09:32 PM

Liked: 13
What free clips are the clearest to you guys? So far to me are the butterfly and Karlin clip. Any other clips you guys like?
post #868 of 1294 Old 08-19-2014, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have the HDMI2 going into an Integra 80.3. It works as expected with no drop outs. However, I'm missing sound from the surround left channel. I'm starting to wonder if that is an encoding issue in Spider-Man 2 though and not an equipment issue.

Abstract yourself!
post #869 of 1294 Old 08-19-2014, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorg View Post
I have the HDMI2 going into an Integra 80.3. It works as expected with no drop outs. However, I'm missing sound from the surround left channel. I'm starting to wonder if that is an encoding issue in Spider-Man 2 though and not an equipment issue.
This seems to be an issue with every single user that chooses to use HDMI 2 out for audio. Left surround does not work! There is no workaround to it either by changing settings on your fmp-x10 or your avr equipment. I have tried everything I could possibly think of with no resolution.

I urge every single fmp-x10 owner to contact sony if you have not already and report the issue. Its a hassle dealing with their tech support but this route seems to be our only hope and the more owners call and complain, it'll get to their engineers fast and hopefully we will get a firmware update that fixes this issue.

Whats the point of dropping 600 bucks to watch cutting edge technology and in turn go back in time where audio is concerned. Sony dropped the ball on this one!! I will def think twice before i invest in this company again
post #870 of 1294 Old 08-20-2014, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Regarding the limitation of 2-channel playback when using the Toslink connection, I think you have described exactly how it behaves. Why it behaves this way I don't think anyone here has that answer--it's just the way it is.
The answer is: optical can technically only transmit 2 channel uncompressed sound (PCM), or a surround sound container format like Dolby Digital or DTS. So when it goes in to the set over HDMI as 5.1 PCM, the TV doesn't (can't?) wrap it in a container back out through toslink to the AVR. Not a Sony specific problem. (Note that is why DD5.1 coming out of the apps like Netflix, Amazon, DLNA through toslink work correctly)

Browsing through the thread deciding whether to upgrade my x1 to x10 for free, it seems like that would be worthless. If I can't get consistent 5.1ch sound out of the thing - what's the point. I can always pull my HDMI1 cord out of my TV and put it back in to get surround working correctly on the X1 and the 4k Netflix experiment isn't exactly must-have.

I didn't order Spidey2 4k because I would rather have it in 3d, but I will note the surround was all focused on the right side of the field on its movie trailer I downloaded.

Last edited by flinchn; 08-20-2014 at 03:21 AM.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread - fmp-x10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page