Sony FMP-X10 owners thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have working audio from HDMI2 to my Pioneer Elite receiver, however I haven't did enough testing to say for sure that I don't have the no audio from surround left issue.

I did have audio dropouts (4 seconds audio, 4 seconds no audio) after rearranging my HDMI connections the other night. I was beginning to believe it was the new HDMI cable I swapped out. Ended up being one of the HDMI ports on my receiver didn't jive with the X10 for some reason. Moved it to HDMI 7 input on my receiver and worked ever since. Just to prove it wasn't working, I moved it back to HDMI 4 on my receiver and audio dropouts returned.....

For those that are having the audio dropouts, maybe worth trying a different input on your receiver. Not sure why it would matter but it did in my case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
we all have some issues with the FMPX10
No doubt. A seperate issue I've encounted a couple times on my X10 is sometimes the 'Home' screen settings menu glitches......all the category titles have extra characters in them.
post #903 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 12
FMP-X10
HDMI OUT 1 (Audio &Video)- Video:3840x2160 Frame rate:24p, 25p, 30p, 50p, 60p
Audio:Linear PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus
HDMI OUT 2 (Audio Only) - Linear PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
post #904 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 17
yes...just noticed menu glitches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
No doubt. A seperate issue I've encounted a couple times on my X10 is sometimes the 'Home' screen settings menu glitches......all the category titles have extra characters in them.
...Yes..Just yesterday noticed Menu Gliches as u described...some "go away" when going in then out of your menu selection...some don't..a minor issue but I am glad someone else is also getting them..it always makes me feel better...I guess a firmware upgrade is needed.
post #905 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
FMP-X10

Are you making a point with this post? We can't read your mind.
post #906 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 05:59 PM

Some people were wondering what audio signals were output from the FMP-X10. As you can see, it doesn't matter if you get the audio from HDMI 1 or 2, it's the same signal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
post #907 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Quote:
Some people were wondering what audio signals were output from the FMP-X10. As you can see, it doesn't matter if you get the audio from HDMI 1 or 2, it's the same signal.

What is the source of this information?
post #908 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
FMP-X10

If this above is TRUE with FMPX10 HDMI OUT1 then why am I expierening the following(among all other owners):
I am a bit confused by some recent posts after I posted my findings yesterday...
****STREAMIMG NETFLIX-again I will describe my connections and my results when streaming Netflix (House of Cards/Breaking Bad are 2 examples)via the FMPX10 apps. I have the media player HDMI 1(audio/video)connected to my Sony 65 inch 850A HDMI 4 port. Since my Lexicon MC12 processor is older and does not have HDMI at all(only toslink and coaxil) I am using Toslink out of my 850A to my processor. This by the way is how I have my HD cable Box connected using TV's HDMI 1 port. And the TV Toslink does send a 5.1 Dolby digital signal to my lexicon processor. The front panel of my Lexicon tells me so...when it is not 5.1 and only 2 channel it shows 2 channel on my front panel. This change occurs depending on the signal (Ofcause TV setting is set to TV speakers OFF/Audio System ON) So with streaming Netflix with my FMPX10 media player I am getting 4K AND 5.1 dolby digital when the program has the 5.1 signal. All is right with the world!

***DOWNLOADING MOVIES and CLIPS-this is not the case for Downloading movies(Spider Man 2 for example)or the 4K clips with my media player. if the program (Spider Man 2) is in 5.1 Dolby Digital it does not pass thru as 5.1 Dolby digital from the TV toslink to my Lexicon processor (STREAMING does as I noted above but NOT with any DOWNLOADS)The front panel shows 2 channel Stereo and I have it set to LOGIC7 (simulated surround sound)which I could easily change to PLII (simulated surround sound). You get 4K resolution but not 5.1 ...You get 1 and not the other!!!

So I need some clarification because I am a bit confused by some recent posts about this subject since I posted my findings just yesterday ( I am a new here on this forum)

My obvious question is WHY?
Why when using my FMPX10 media player and streaming (House of Cards - Netflix) for example all is right with the world. Both 4K resolution and 5.1 Dolby digital passing thru my TV toslink to my Lexicon processor (if ofcause the program is in 5.1 Dolby Digital)
BUT,
when using my FMPX10 media player and DOWNLOADING films or clips (Spider Man 2 for example) all is NOT right with the world. Only 4K resolution is ofcause received but only 2 Channel Stereo passes thru my TV toslink to my lexicon processor.

Is this some sort of copyright issue???? Is this the NORM behavior of this FMPX10. And if it is..and it is not some sort of copyright issue..will this be corrected in a firmware update?

Please reply back.

Many thanks!
post #909 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
FMP-X10
Quote:

Although the same specs are listed for both HDMI 1 and 2, isn't it still possible that the PCM to the TV from HDMI 1 is only 2-channel PCM. I tried to test by connecting HDMI-1 directly to my AVR to see what audio format would display. However, that test failed to get any audio at all from my AVR as well as no video (no surprise there).
post #910 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well I just got done comparing the blu ray version of spiderman 2 to the 4k version in my fmp-x10. I can tell you for a fact the the blu ray version is as clear if not clearer than the 4k version. Is there something wrong? Is there a setting in the fmp-x10 I need to change? If this is the case I am disappointed in the player. I was hoping the movies were as clear as the short clips (like the Karmin on Kimmel). What do you guys think?
post #911 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
Although the same specs are listed for both HDMI 1 and 2, isn't it still possible that the PCM to the TV from HDMI 1 is only 2-channel PCM. I tried to test by connecting HDMI-1 directly to my AVR to see what audio format would display. However, that test failed to get any audio at all from my AVR as well as no video (no surprise there).
If I run HDMI 1 to my Onkyo's HDCP compliant input, I get PCM 5.1 audio (minus the SL channel, lol ). So it does send it...The limitations lie within the X900 as far as handling both audio and video via HDMI 4...
Edit: Then again, the limitations of Toslink audio has already been gone over....

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
teeitup likes this.

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 08-21-2014 at 08:37 PM.
post #912 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
Well I just got done comparing the blu ray version of spiderman 2 to the 4k version in my fmp-x10. I can tell you for a fact the the blu ray version is as clear if not clearer than the 4k version. Is there something wrong? Is there a setting in the fmp-x10 I need to change? If this is the case I am disappointed in the player. I was hoping the movies were as clear as the short clips (like the Karmin on Kimmel). What do you guys think?
I compared it extensively and the 4K version is definitely sharper. It's more noticeable of course on the wide panoramic shots are scenes with lots of small/fine detail. How far away are you sitting and how large is your TV?
post #913 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
I compared it extensively and the 4K version is definitely sharper. It's more noticeable of course on the wide panoramic shots are scenes with lots of small/fine detail. How far away are you sitting and how large is your TV?
I am using the sony vpl-vw600es with a 150 inch screen. I asked my wife which version was clearer and she said the blu ray. The only thing better to me about the 4k version is that it was brighter. The 4k version was grainnier and motion was not as smooth as blu ray. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong cause the short free clips look amazing. Thoughts?
post #914 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am using the sony vpl-vw600es with a 150 inch screen. I asked my wife which version was clearer and she said the blu ray. The only thing better to me about the 4k version is that it was brighter. The 4k version was grainnier and motion was not as smooth as blu ray. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong cause the short free clips look amazing. Thoughts?
Well, that kinda puts you in a different category. Not sure how we can do any reasonable comparisons unfortunately. Not a bad thing, just that most here will be using a 900/950A/B ..

post #915 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
She probably thought it was "clearer" because it revealed less grain. My wife prefers the DVD version of The Third Man (over the Criterion BD) because it doesn't look so grainy. The higher resolution of 4K will bring out more fine detail and that includes the grain. I did notice that the Blu-ray version had slightly brighter colors, but I was comparing the 3D disc (with the 3D turned off), not the 2D. The smoother motion is probably due to the Blu-ray have a better bit rate (relative to its resolution) during fast motion scenes. Could be just a superior encode as well since 4K is relatively new and there are not a lot of expert 4K encoders.
post #916 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
If I run HDMI 1 to my Onkyo's HDCP compliant input, I get PCM 5.1 audio (minus the SL channel, lol ). So it does send it...The limitations must lie within the X900 as far as handling both audio and the via HDMI 4....

Edit: Then again, the limitations of Toslink audio has already been gone over....

Awesome! Good to have verification. I guess that puts it to rest.
post #917 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
Well, that kinda puts you in a different category. Not sure how we can do any reasonable comparisons unfortunately. Not a bad thing, just that most here will be using a 900/950A/B ..

I could only wish to be in that category.
TweakerInWA likes this.
post #918 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
She probably thought it was "clearer" because it revealed less grain. My wife prefers the DVD version of The Third Man (over the Criterion BD) because it doesn't look so grainy. The higher resolution of 4K will bring out more fine detail and that includes the grain. I did notice that the Blu-ray version had slightly brighter colors, but I was comparing the 3D disc (with the 3D turned off), not the 2D. The smoother motion is probably due to the Blu-ray have a better bit rate (relative to its resolution) during fast motion scenes. Could be just a superior encode as well since 4K is relatively new and there are not a lot of expert 4K encoders.
Do you guys find that the short free clips look a lot better than spiderman? Are there any movies that looks as good as the free clips?
post #919 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do you guys find that the short free clips look a lot better than spiderman? Are there any movies that looks as good as the free clips?
That's film brother! That's the way purists like it!! Gotta have some grain!

Until someone shoots a movie with the intent to really emphasize it's 4K clarity, it's not going to come close to what you see on those "live tv" type 4k clips....

bruceames likes this.
post #920 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not sure if there are any movies listed that were filmed in 4k video. Amazing Spider-Man 2 2D is on 35mm film, like most of the other movies, so they probably won't give you that "wow" factor that you might be expecting after seeing some of the better video clips.
post #921 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Ok well I had yesterday off work so I could investigate further on why my free TAS2 was paused in download.

It was a VPN issue for me....nothing to do with the X10. My VPN for some reason wasn't giving me a US IP as it normally does and so therefore the X10 wouldn't download.
What threw me at the start was that I could 'buy & unlock' some titles on the X10 and I thought you wouldn't be able to do that outside the US. I was wrong. It's just downloading content that you cannot do without a VPN.

All works fine now with my 600ES.

Not sure if anybody has listed the MOVIES stored on the X10 but here they are. Well these were the only ones on mine that said 'BUY' only.

American Hustle
After Earth
This Is The End
Elysium
Captain Phillips
Looper
Total Recall
Bad Teacher
Battle: Los Angeles
Bridge On The River Kwai
Salt
Taxi Driver
The Amazing Spiderman
That's My Boy
The Karate Kid
The Other Guys
This Is The End

Last edited by WIKED; 08-21-2014 at 09:28 PM.
post #922 of 1757 Old 08-21-2014, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Watched spider man 2 and was not really impressed with the quality streaming Netflix 4k(moving arts: deserts) looked better to me.
post #923 of 1757 Old 08-22-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
What is the source of this information?
It's in the booklet that came with the FMP-X10.

post #924 of 1757 Old 08-22-2014, 11:28 AM

I think it all has to do with this proprietary interface that Sony used so you could download the movies and then play them in an uncompressed format, thinking that it's going to maximize the picture quality and won't ever skip/buffer because the entire movie is on the hard drive. This company Sony teamed up with to design the box obviously didn't test the compatibility with every piece of equipment out there. Netflix however, just decides to stream it and use the compression so they can get the best picture quality and sound from a 19 Mbps bandwidth. However, Sony might have thought that downloading the movie would be better and then playing it back uncompressed, but they had to rig up this proprietary output for the video and the audio which isn't compatible with everyone's components. They're just trying to figure out a way to play full 4K but avoid the HDCP 2.2 issue and it's not working. Read this article. At of its printing a couple weeks ago, only 1 receiver was compliant.
http://www.cnet.com/news/hdcp-2-2-wh...-need-to-know/

HDCP 2.2 is the next generation of copy protection for the 4K era, and it likely won't work with any of your current gear. Here's what you need to know.

post #925 of 1757 Old 08-22-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
No, none do. Short clips were probably shot with the Sony 4K Super 35mm camera or Red cameras. I found no 'wow' factor on any of them. My 'Mastered in 4K' blu-ray disk of the "Karate Kid" looks better than the same movie on the X10.

All the films look IMO like film not shot with 4K gear. Were all shot in 35mm?
post #926 of 1757 Old 08-22-2014, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 26
My God, - What has this industry come to? I am now in the market to buy an Oled/Plasma or at least a 65 in 4K TV as all I have is a Sony Tube. I need to update now. But what I have read over the past 30 days from the VE shoot-out to the Vegas Oled threads to my audio hero AustinJerry to Sony XMP's. I will just shrink back and re-emerge next Spring. THE HORROR!
post #927 of 1757 Old 08-22-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
No, none do. Short clips were probably shot with the Sony 4K Super 35mm camera or Red cameras. I found no 'wow' factor on any of them. My 'Mastered in 4K' blu-ray disk of the "Karate Kid" looks better than the same movie on the X10.

All the films look IMO like film not shot with 4K gear. Were all shot in 35mm?
Thanks for the response. Looks like my fmp-x10 is going back for sure. To me there is no reason to keep it video is on par with blu ray and audio is crap.
post #928 of 1757 Old 08-22-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Thanks for the response. Looks like my fmp-x10 is going back for sure. To me there is no reason to keep it video is on par with blu ray and audio is crap.
Unless you want to view 4K on Netflix. There isn't much on there now but in time there will be more, at least that's what I am hoping and that's why I am keeping mine. That and being able to take advantage of H.265 which my set can not do.

My audio is working fine with HDMI to my AVR. Unlike my X1, the audio is excellent and Sony has given me back my 10 movies. I have to admit they have been good to me on giving me back my X1 films, in fact that have called me 3 times since I got them back, asking if I got them OK and are showing up on my X10..
post #929 of 1757 Old 08-22-2014, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Bottom line,

4K increases resolution, if your seating distance is optimal, you'll see the difference on material. If you don't, well then whatever. We're all here for the same reason, we are all a bunch of HT geeks looking for the best of the best of the best. Will the increase in resolution help with the GOLTV crappie compressed image I get watching Bundesliga soccer on the weekend, sorry, but no.... Will the increased resolution make my blu-ray look better, well the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Bottom (of the bottom) Line

The electronics industry needs to sell stuff, what better way to do it than coming out with 4K, Dolby Atmos etc.. I mean really, we all own a X10 and there's literally squat for 4K content. I guess what I'm trying to say is, we're all here because we want to experience it as it happens. Unfortunately, I think we're all a little ahead of the game.

post #930 of 1757 Old 08-23-2014, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Sony must be working overtime figuring out my 10 movies situation.

At least they're still working on it.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread - fmp-x10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page