Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 193
[quote=AustinJerry;26926185]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400MHz MAN View Post

I am on a wired connection.
Me too, and it's slow as pudding.

I guess I was lucky with the POS X1, and got a whopping 14M.

If I'm getting 4K Netflix (and I think it was discussed here) you have to be pulling 14-18M for the 4K to be stable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1278 Old 08-27-2014, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Here's one for the download record book.

Just now, and it did it two times, the X10 was doing the Sony covert download (at 6Mbps) and I started to download a movie trailer which it started at about 11Mbps. As the trailer got to 90%, I went back to settings and watched the download speed, curious to see if it dropped back to the single digits as the trailer d/l ended and the Sony covert started again.

Well for one instant sample, it read 58.1Mbps, which is exactly what my PC gets when wired to the same router.

I did it again for another trailer, and it repeated the identical process, jumping to 57.6Mbps as one function ended and the covert download started again.

This would lead me to believe that there is some sort of clamp on this whole 4K SEN thing, and that for one moment in time, the Japan Clamper doesn't catch it immediately.
post #993 of 1278 Old 08-27-2014, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
Well, I actually have 2 questions. First, I'm just wondering if the DVDs, which read "Mastered in 4K" have a better picture or have better sound than just a regular Blu Ray disk played on a 4k TV. Second, since most, if not all, 4K TVs upconvert, why would anyone buy a something like Sony's new BDP-S7200, which is supposed to upscale to 4K, access to Netfix, SEN, etc? If someone owns a 4K TV and already has a Blu Ray player (not this particular one) what's the benefit of owning this new Blu Ray player? 4K TVs already have a lot of these features built-in. Unless someone owns a different brand of TV, it'll give them access to SEN, other than that, I don't see the benefit. And to combine the questions, if someone were to watch Spiderman 2 Mastered in 4K on this new Blu Ray player, will it look better, worse, or the same as watching it on the FMP-X10?
Question, I will be hookin my 65900a and fmp-×10 up this weekend.

What is "sen" account?
And how do I create or access this, through the fmp-×10? Or the 900a? Or computer?
post #994 of 1278 Old 08-27-2014, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
This whole widely variable download speed scenario for different users, irregardless of bandwidth capabilities, leads me to believe that it must be based on your location. Perhaps in my case, Sony's pipeline is wider, or at least the smallest bottleneck is wider (Sony's plus that of your internet provider). Perhaps Sony's pipeline is closer as well. There's no other reason that I should get double the download speed as some others, and if I were to move next door to you, then I would get the same speed as you.

I think I brought this up before, and somebody mentioned another reason, but I forgot it.
post #995 of 1278 Old 08-27-2014, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraflexed View Post

What is "sen" account?
And how do I create or access this, through the fmp-×10? Or the 900a? Or computer?
Go to www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com

and establish an account. It will ask for a credit card, although you pay a la carte when you buy a title.

After that, you'll need to sign on with both the TV and the X10 to have access.
post #996 of 1278 Old 08-27-2014, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraflexed View Post

What is "sen" account?
Sony Entertainment Network (SEN)... You can go online and setup your account before you get everything else squared away.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
post #997 of 1278 Old 08-27-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
Here's one for the download record book.

Just now, and it did it two times, the X10 was doing the Sony covert download (at 6Mbps) and I started to download a movie trailer which it started at about 11Mbps. As the trailer got to 90%, I went back to settings and watched the download speed, curious to see if it dropped back to the single digits as the trailer d/l ended and the Sony covert started again.

Well for one instant sample, it read 58.1Mbps, which is exactly what my PC gets when wired to the same router.

I did it again for another trailer, and it repeated the identical process, jumping to 57.6Mbps as one function ended and the covert download started again.

This would lead me to believe that there is some sort of clamp on this whole 4K SEN thing, and that for one moment in time, the Japan Clamper doesn't catch it immediately.
I wonder what happens if you turn off the "Auto Download"?
post #998 of 1278 Old 08-27-2014, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well, any and all material they've added will have to be downloaded. Meaning, whatever new content they usually add that's available for instant purchase and play will need downloaded before the play part

post #999 of 1278 Old 08-27-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think Sony set download limits on their end. Either they don't have the capability to let everyone download data at the same time using 50-100Mbps or they did it because once your X10 starts downloading, most people wouldn't be able to use their Internet connection because the X10 will be using all their bandwidth, unless everyone has setup QoS on their router which is highly unlikely.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
post #1000 of 1278 Old 08-27-2014, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Download Comparisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
...If you read an earlier post from me I am getting (when I check My 4K /settings/Download Speed on my FMPX10) I am getting no less than 20,mostly 25+,and even on some occasions it reached almost 35 mpbs). I downloaded "Spider Man 2" in approx 5 hrs in the morning and watched it that afternoon. Not taking 20hrs+as some have reported. I usually get with my Laptop when I check on speedtest.com my Download speed is anywhere from 65-75+ and upload speed at approx 45.
NOTE:I use wired LAN connections on all my devices....I don't like wireless at all..I use CAT6 Ethernet Cable
I think it's a combination of location and Sony caps.

Anyway...the auto (almost)24 hr download has completed. Haven't checked the FMPX 10 yet to see what was downloaded (software upgrade? possibly)...has anyone checked...anything noticeable
post #1001 of 1278 Old 08-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anyway...the auto (almost)24 hr download has completed. Haven't checked the FMPX 10 yet to see what was downloaded (software upgrade? possibly)...has anyone checked...anything noticeable
Yep, finally finished whatever nonsense it was doing. Checking it out now....

post #1002 of 1278 Old 08-27-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Quote:

How does one check what is newly downloaded?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1003 of 1278 Old 08-27-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
This whole widely variable download speed scenario for different users, irregardless of bandwidth capabilities, leads me to believe that it must be based on your location. Perhaps in my case, Sony's pipeline is wider, or at least the smallest bottleneck is wider (Sony's plus that of your internet provider). Perhaps Sony's pipeline is closer as well. There's no other reason that I should get double the download speed as some others, and if I were to move next door to you, then I would get the same speed as you.

I think I brought this up before, and somebody mentioned another reason, but I forgot it.
Yes I believe you are right. I have suspected this was the case. I think certain cities have better or faster infrastructure than others. Perhaps they don't have the same bottlenecks others do when connecting to Sony..
post #1004 of 1278 Old 08-27-2014, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Surf 4K Unlimited?

I see a couple of new movies (I think) Glory, That's My Boy. They could of already been there of course, just don't recall them off the top of my head.

As for what's actually been downloading? Can't tell really. Still no World Cup...

Final thoughts, waste of time lol

No audio fix,, that's confirmed

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 08-27-2014 at 04:47 PM.
post #1005 of 1278 Old 08-27-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
The unit begins to smoke and eventually catches fire. (not really)
post #1006 of 1278 Old 08-27-2014, 05:28 PM

Auto Download finally completed.....

Quote:
Now that the almost 24 hour Auto Download completed
I just checked myself and didn't notice anything except....
1.) couple of new titles to choose from ("Salt" was one)
2.)when I checked Storage Information...you can find this by getting "into" My 4K Videos > Settings >
It follows Pause Download,Download Speed,Auto Download settings at the bottom is Storage Information...see how much space is left in the storage...
It seems my Internal Storage has more system space and less used space than it did before the Auto Download took place. I guess I have more "free/available" space . I just so happened to check it before the Auto Download took place from yesterday thru today and I am sure I have more "free/available" space today. Anyone else notice ?
post #1007 of 1278 Old 08-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Salt has been there, just sayin..I know it's hard to remember which one's were there, but that is definitely one...

post #1008 of 1278 Old 08-27-2014, 06:06 PM

Auto Download finally completed.....

"Salt" could have been there before the Auto Download...don't know...Could be...but what about Storage Space that I noticed...that's more important......
post #1009 of 1278 Old 08-27-2014, 06:21 PM

Your thoughts...

Just want to put it out there...
What is your impression of the FMPX10 as it stands right now?... I never owned the previous model so I don't know how it compares. I just think there are too many "minuses" and "not enough plus es"...I am not returning mine but I can see why some would.
post #1010 of 1278 Old 08-27-2014, 06:44 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
I'm not in front of my unit, but I'm pretty sure if you go into Video Unlimited 4K and go to the menu section called New and Featured Movies (or something like that- it's near the top when it loads), you'll see the movies that have been added. There's a New and Featured TV too.

I think items are listed as newest first. I had Air Force One and My Best Friend's Wedding listed there earlier today (before Spiderman 2 in the list).
post #1011 of 1278 Old 08-27-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Actually, I think if you click on Buy, and it says "Buy and download", the title is not already downloaded. If it only says "Buy", it is already downloaded. But who wants to click on every single title just to see which were recently downloaded? That would be stupid.

post #1012 of 1278 Old 08-27-2014, 06:57 PM

Impressions

Quote:
Actually, I think if you click on Buy, and it says "Buy and download", the title is not already downloaded. If it only says "Buy", it is already downloaded. But who wants to click on every single title just to see which were recently downloaded? That would be stupid.
Just wanted to ask your impression of the FMPX10 as it stands right now. I think there are too many "minuses"...not enough "plus es"...I am not returning mine but I understand why some would. I never owned the earlier model so I can't compare the two..Your thoughts?
post #1013 of 1278 Old 08-28-2014, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
"Salt" could have been there before the Auto Download...don't know...Could be...but what about Storage Space that I noticed...that's more important......
That's easy to explain,

The reason the HDD lights been going crazy is due to the fact they sent miniature Sony techs via Sony's proprietary transportation ethernet protocol out to rebuild and expand everyone's HDD capacity. Even with the implementation of this new technology, it still takes some time to squeeze those little sucker's through the pipe. Hence the extended download time....
Duh....:beer:

Salts definitely been there, it was one of the first movies I was considering purchasing back on the X1. I mean who wouldn't want to see Angelina Jolie in 4K ?

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 08-28-2014 at 05:53 AM.
post #1014 of 1278 Old 08-28-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Yeah, the steps I described just show what's new on the store and those titles may or may not be auto-downloaded. Usability and discoverability on the X-10 are a bit rough. They pushed an update to the tablet interface of the X-1 at about the time the X-10 shipped that said "Downloaded" for a title if it was actually on the X-1, so that saved clicking on it and was good for knowing what you could immediately watch. Surprised they don't have that on the X-10.

I saw this:
http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/28/a...-this-october/

Samsung made the announcement for just their TVs, but hopefully Amazon 4K will be launching on the X-10 around October as well.
post #1015 of 1278 Old 08-28-2014, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

I love Amazon. They actually have the best PQ of all streaming services. This will hopefully remain the case for 4K as well. I have a Fire TV, guess we'll see if it's compatible with Sony's locked down HDMI 4 port in the near future. Very excited about this.

post #1016 of 1278 Old 08-28-2014, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I would be surprised if the current generation Fire TV would support 4K. These devices are usually built with the minimal hardware that they can go to market with. After all, it's a $99 device only. The next generation is hopefully just around the corner though!

As for the HDMI4 port, aren't all HDMI ports on the x950b HDMI 2.0 compatible? That would mean they can all be used for 4K@60Hz. I believe the X-10 use of the HDMI4 port is just a "Sony exclusive" because it uses a proprietary protocol to encrypt the contents. Sony has always made it hard on consumers to have choices. For examle, does anyone remember Memory Sticks and their secure restrictions for music?

Abstract yourself!
post #1017 of 1278 Old 08-28-2014, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

This weeks covert X10 download did clean up the drive, freeing up an additional 30gig.

Internal storage shows 200 used, when it had been 232, and the partition graph is different.
post #1018 of 1278 Old 08-28-2014, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorg View Post
I would be surprised if the current generation Fire TV would support 4K. These devices are usually built with the minimal hardware that they can go to market with. After all, it's a $99 device only. The next generation is hopefully just around the corner though!

As for the HDMI4 port, aren't all HDMI ports on the x950b HDMI 2.0 compatible? That would mean they can all be used for 4K@60Hz. I believe the X-10 use of the HDMI4 port is just a "Sony exclusive" because it uses a proprietary protocol to encrypt the contents. Sony has always made it hard on consumers to have choices. For examle, does anyone remember Memory Sticks and their secure restrictions for music?
All the HDMI ports on the 900 series are 2.0 I believe. HDMI 4 on the 900A is also HDCP.

post #1019 of 1278 Old 08-28-2014, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorg View Post
Yeah, getting ahead of myself. Will probably need to implement decoding into the new box. With their suspected roll out date, one should be hitting the market fairly quickly....I would assume anyway.

post #1020 of 1278 Old 08-28-2014, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
SONY Not Getting Amazon's 4K Video Service ???

I was getting ready to purchase the FMP-X10 for my 65XBR 850A.... But this morning I'm reading all these articles about Amazon finally launching in October their 4K Prime Instant Video Service on the Samsung TV's..... One of the tech articles stated that it would be an "exclusive" app to the Samsung 4K TV's.... Can you guys confirm here that this is true ?...

If so, then the FMP-X10 would not be able to get Amazon 4K alongside Netflix 4K, right ???.... And the same for the new SONY 4K TV's out this year (ie. the X850B Series) ?

Are we back to the stupid Beta vs. VHS wars of the 1980's again ???.... Can SONY really not support Amazon's 4K service ?.... I really like Amazon Prime, the current 1080p PQ on there is top-notch quality, and the 4K I would assume would also be amazing....
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread - fmp-x10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page