post #1021 of 1365 Old 08-28-2014, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
I could see it being exclusive to Samsung as far as a smart tv app. But that won't stop Amazon from including it on their Fire TV, as well as it being available as an Android app. That would be a horrible business decision on Amazon's end, don't think they're that stupid.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Hopefully you're right. But then I thought Avatar 3D exclusive to Panasonic 3D TVs was a horrible business decision too. I guess the only way to know if it makes good business sense is to find out how much money Amazon would receive for the exclusivity and how long it lasts.

If it is truly exclusive to Samsung TVs, then it can't be for very long, since the studios that will be providing 4K content to Amazon would have to be considered too. They won't want hardware exclusivity deals to throttle revenue any more than Amazon.

I'm hoping that others studios will be providing 4K content to Netflix as well soon and if that happens then maybe we wouldn't miss Amazon anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1365 Old 08-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
On the 900A
Are all (4) HDMI ports 2.0 ???(with all the latest updates)
and only the HDMI 4 port is also HDCP 2.2
That is correct.
post #1023 of 1365 Old 08-28-2014, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hdmi 2.0 /hdcp 2.2

I have the same question on the Sony 65 inch 850A (with all software updates up to date)

Please inform.

Many thaanks
post #1024 of 1365 Old 08-28-2014, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey all, what's the best movie to watch on the 4k unlimited picture quality wise?
post #1025 of 1365 Old 08-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
That is correct.
Need to expand on HDCP 2.2 a bit. If your television wasn't one of the original batch, made around April 2013, most likely the set has the circuitry that early people needed installed in-home. You can double check whether you've got the circuit board by going to

www.4kactivation.com and entering your serial number. Answer YES to Step 1 regardless of whether you do or don't have the player, otherwise you might not get the correct information.

As for HDMI 2.0, all you need is any update after Dec 2013 and it was packaged along with other buggy fixes.
post #1026 of 1365 Old 08-28-2014, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I could see it being exclusive to Samsung as far as a smart tv app. But that won't stop Amazon from including it on their Fire TV, as well as it being available as an Android app. That would be a horrible business decision on Amazon's end, don't think they're that stupid.

Thanks !....OK, then, so you believe that the FMP-X10 will NOT be able to access the new Amazon 4K Video Service, correct ?.... For now, it would only have Netflix 4K and if I wish to access Amazon 4K content I'd have to get a Samsung 4K TV with this new app.... Same problem if someone owns any SONY 4K TV, right ?

Makes you wonder why SONY did not fight hard to get access to Amazon's 4K library, maybe they just want to protect their PPV 4K titles ?.... Short-sighted for the FMP-X10 and other SONY hardware I would think....
post #1027 of 1365 Old 08-28-2014, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario315 View Post
Thanks !....OK, then, so you believe that the FMP-X10 will NOT be able to access the new Amazon 4K Video Service, correct ?.... For now, it would only have Netflix 4K and if I wish to access Amazon 4K content I'd have to get a Samsung 4K TV with this new app.... Same problem if someone owns any SONY 4K TV, right ?

Makes you wonder why SONY did not fight hard to get access to Amazon's 4K library, maybe they just want to protect their PPV 4K titles ?.... Short-sighted for the FMP-X10 and other SONY hardware I would think....
That's all pure speculation at the moment. We only have guesses. They may be informed guesses, but they remain guesses nonetheless. I would not base any decisions or judgements on them.

Abstract yourself!
post #1028 of 1365 Old 08-28-2014, 04:11 PM

Hdmi 2.0/hdcp 2.0/

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
Need to expand on HDCP 2.2 a bit. If your television wasn't one of the original batch, made around April 2013, most likely the set has the circuitry that early people needed installed in-home. You can double check whether you've got the circuit board by going to

www.4kactivation.com and entering your serial number. Answer YES to Step 1 regardless of whether you do or don't have the player, otherwise you might not get the correct information.

As for HDMI 2.0, all you need is any update after Dec 2013 and it was packaged along with other buggy fixes.
Thanks...I am aware that the earlier Sony 4K models (900 models)needed a tech to come by your home and deliver "the goods". When the 850A models were released (around October/November 2013 I believe)no tech was needed ---you were ready to go.(reason for my purchase). Then the 850A had a software update that gave us HDMI 2.0 4K/60. So my 850A is now all "equipped"...I just never knew if all (4)HDMI ports had the HDMI 2.0 or just HDMI4. Never got a clear answer. Sony reps didnt even know what I was talking about when I asked.
I have the FMPX10 and I have it (as the manual suggested)connected to the TV HDMI4 (since I own the 850A it needs to go to HDMI 4 port).
But please clarify for me...are all (4)HDMI ports on the 850A (with all the software updates)all (4)ports are HDMI 2.0 and the only port that is both HDMI 2.0 AND HDCP 2.2 is HDMI 4.

Please answer so I can lay this question to rest.
post #1029 of 1365 Old 08-28-2014, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Thanks...I am aware that the earlier Sony 4K models (900 models)needed a tech to come by your home and deliver "the goods". When the 850A models were released (around October/November 2013 I believe)no tech was needed ---you were ready to go.(reason for my purchase). Then the 850A had a software update that gave us HDMI 2.0 4K/60. So my 850A is now all "equipped"...I just never knew if all (4)HDMI ports had the HDMI 2.0 or just HDMI4. Never got a clear answer. Sony reps didnt even know what I was talking about when I asked.
I have the FMPX10 and I have it (as the manual suggested)connected to the TV HDMI4 (since I own the 850A it needs to go to HDMI 4 port).
But please clarify for me...are all (4)HDMI ports on the 850A (with all the software updates)all (4)ports are HDMI 2.0 and the only port that is both HDMI 2.0 AND HDCP 2.2 is HDMI 4.

Please answer so I can lay this question to rest.
lol, Lee answered that question pretty clearly (I thought anyway) when he quoted the earlier post. You even hit the nail on the head in your own post. All four are HDMI 2.0, with HDMI 4 being 2.0/HDCP2.2 compliant.

post #1030 of 1365 Old 08-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As Bjorg pointed out, pure speculation on information that's out there. If Samsung has struck some kind of deal with Amazon regarding the initial rollout of their 4K streaming service via a smart TV app, it's highly unlikely it would end up on the X10. I'm sure at some point, depending on the length of the agreement between Samsung and Amazon, it will eventually end up becoming available to all display manufacturers. As for now, one would fully expect to see it on the next incarnation of Fire TV, that is unless they had some Samsung fanboy working the deal. Amazon would be losing out on a lot of coin when it comes to one of their own devices. No way amazon would be so foolish (I would like to think).

post #1031 of 1365 Old 08-28-2014, 04:38 PM

Thanks ...sorry for being so "thick headed"
TweakerInWA likes this.
post #1032 of 1365 Old 08-28-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 768
My X10 started downloading again yesterday, and was still downloading until I changed the auto download setting a few minutes ago. I don't see the value of background downloading unknown content that I am extremely unlikely to ever want to purchase and view.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1033 of 1365 Old 08-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
My X10 started downloading again yesterday, and was still downloading until I changed the auto download setting a few minutes ago. I don't see the value of background downloading unknown content that I am extremely unlikely to ever want to purchase and view.
Could be all those free movies from your X1 days that they're trying to download to your SEN account..:what:

post #1034 of 1365 Old 08-28-2014, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

I've been doing some Web browsing looking into this Amazon 4K streaming. I haven't seen an article yet that states the streaming service/app will be "exclusive" to Samsung. Just that Samsung has jumped on board to support Amazon's 4K service.

Whether or not Sony is interested in doing so remains to be seen. Guess that would depend on how the Sony Corp leadership feels about supporting a service and or product that could in theory have a negative impact on the sales profit of the X10, and SEN service.

Guess you can look at it from two perspectives. The first being, provide the app, thus persuading customers not to run out and pick up Amazon hardware, which could eventually lead to said customer purchasing an X10. Or the other perspective, don't support it at all, with the rationale being you're going to survive pushing your own products and services.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 08-28-2014 at 08:22 PM.
post #1035 of 1365 Old 08-28-2014, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Turning on automatic downloads per Sony request last week resulted in over $30 in ISP overages and still don't have the free Spiderman 2 movie. Should have just saved the headache and bought the movie.
post #1036 of 1365 Old 08-28-2014, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I've been doing some Web browsing looking into this Amazon 4K streaming. I haven't seen an article yet that states the streaming service/app will be "exclusive" to Samsung. Just that Samsung has jumped on board to support Amazon's 4K service.

Whether or not Sony is interested in doing so remains to be seen. Guess that would depend on how the Sony Corp leadership feels about supporting a service and or product that could in theory have a negative impact on the sales profit of the X10, and SEN service.

Guess you can look at it from two perspectives. The first being, provide the app, thus persuading customers not to run out and pick up Amazon hardware, which could eventually lead to said customer purchasing an X10. Or the other perspective, don't support it at all, with the rationale being you're going to survive pushing your own products and services.

The article I read about Samsung's exclusivity with Amazon's new 4K Streaming Service is titled "Samsung UHD TV to Get Amazon 4K Streaming & Video Pack" by Mike Wheatley at www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/amazon-4k-

It's in the 4th paragraph: ".... For now it appears as though Amazon's service will be exclusive to Samsung-- although Amazon probably won't be able to resist the temptation of selling its service to other brands once it's up and running."

In my view, when SONY included Netflix 4K in the FMP-X10, as well as in the new 4K SONY TV's out this year, there was some implied understanding in the tech industry I think that as all the new 4K streaming services launched we would see them all in the SONY platforms, none of this short-sighted exclusion business by SONY to protect their 4K PPV revenue in the FMP-X10....

Besides, Amazon's new 4K Prime Instant Video service presumably will go beyond PPV 4K titles, but will also have non-PPV 4K movies & TV shows just like Netflix 4K, likely with greater volume & depth (due to more studios participating) ..... It should dramatically increase our 4K choices from the get-go....
post #1037 of 1365 Old 08-29-2014, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The article I read about Samsung's exclusivity with Amazon's new 4K Streaming Service is titled "Samsung UHD TV to Get Amazon 4K Streaming & Video Pack" by Mike Wheatley at www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/amazon-4k-

It's in the 4th paragraph: ".... For now it appears as though Amazon's service will be exclusive to Samsung-- although Amazon probably won't be able to resist the temptation of selling its service to other brands once it's up and running."

In my view, when SONY included Netflix 4K in the FMP-X10, as well as in the new 4K SONY TV's out this year, there was some implied understanding in the tech industry I think that as all the new 4K streaming services launched we would see them all in the SONY platforms, none of this short-sighted exclusion business by SONY to protect their 4K PPV revenue in the FMP-X10....

Besides, Amazon's new 4K Prime Instant Video service presumably will go beyond PPV 4K titles, but will also have non-PPV 4K movies & TV shows just like Netflix 4K, likely with greater volume & depth (due to more studios participating) ..... It should dramatically increase our 4K choices from the get-go....
That is in line with my post. If Sony wants in on the Amazon service, all they have to do is pony up the dough. Amazon hasn't excluded other 4K manufacturers....

All Amazon "Original Series" will be shot in 4K. A couple premiered last night. I watched "Hand of God", hoping to find out if it was shot in 4k, but no luck. I didn't see any reference in the credits and couldn't find any information online.

I hope Sony jumps on the bandwagon, but you know they want to sell their own products first. So to disregard the economic side of things wouldn't be prudent.

post #1038 of 1365 Old 08-29-2014, 03:38 PM

Downloaded some Youtube 4K videos using 4Kvideodownloader and played them via USB on the X10. Not the most streamlined process but glad we can play 4K videos from USB. Pretty cool!

Liked this video. Was just at Lake Powell a couple weeks back so this one hit home.

post #1039 of 1365 Old 08-29-2014, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Funny, I just set mine up for the first time and I can't get my USB samples to play on it. YET I can plug it straight into the tv it doesn't skip a beat.
post #1040 of 1365 Old 08-29-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith2 View Post
Funny, I just set mine up for the first time and I can't get my USB samples to play on it. YET I can plug it straight into the tv it doesn't skip a beat.
You can play 4K videos through USB on your TV? Just the opposite for me. Tried to play the same 4K clip through the side USB on the TV and just got scramble video, working audio with a message saying "content not supported". X10 plays it perfectly.
post #1041 of 1365 Old 08-29-2014, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Samsung Smart TVs don't even offer Amazon Prime right now, unless that's changed with more recent sets. I had to watch Amazon Prime from my Xbox or my Roku because I couldn't watch it on the Samsung Smart TV I have. It's a few years old, but still offers Samsung's Media Hub, Vudu, Netflix, etc. but not Amazon.

Honestly, I think it would be foolish if you were a provider of streaming video, one that didn't also manufacturer TVs and have it exclusive to one brand. They're limiting their audience right there. By providing streaming service to everyone and have it available on every TV would help increase Amazon Prime's subscription base paying $100 a year. I think signing an exclusivity deal with one TV manufacturer would be a bad idea and they'd only be shooting themselves in the foot.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
post #1042 of 1365 Old 08-29-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:

The apps on the Sony TV include Amazon as well as SEN. I think the greater amount of content they can provide would be a huge decision maker in buying the device.

post #1043 of 1365 Old 08-29-2014, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
You can play 4K videos through USB on your TV? Just the opposite for me. Tried to play the same 4K clip through the side USB on the TV and just got scramble video, working audio with a message saying "content not supported". X10 plays it perfectly.
Yes, exactly the opposite for me with that same message on the x10.
post #1044 of 1365 Old 08-30-2014, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So I have the bug where the left surround channel is quiet on my X10 when outputting to my receiver from HDMI 2. Is there a fix or workaround for this yet?
post #1045 of 1365 Old 08-30-2014, 02:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post
So I have the bug where the left surround channel is quiet on my X10 when outputting to my receiver from HDMI 2. Is there a fix or workaround for this yet?
I sent an email to the rep at Sony that I have worked with before. I explained the problem and then clipped an assortment of posts from this thread as corroboration of the problem. The email went out on Wednesday, and was going to be sent on to their senior engineering department. One of the snips I included said that the tech (they were speaking with) was able to duplicate the issue as they spoke on the phone, so that's always a good start.

Stay tuned, something should happen to correct it.

(Similar issues that were resolved through this process: problem with X900 upper left hand display readout would not go off when button pressed a second time on Netflix, also on Netflix there was an option "play from the beginning" that had disappeared from choices and then was restored just a few days ago.)
Faceless Rebel likes this.
post #1046 of 1365 Old 08-30-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Lee, thank you for representing our interests. It is appreciated!

post #1047 of 1365 Old 08-30-2014, 05:50 AM

Help with a 3rd purchase....

I am new to this forum and have been extremely pleased with everyone's knowledge (it sure beats calling Sony reps and developing a headache speaking with them).
I own the Sony 4K 65 inch 850A (purchased when first released last Oct./Nov. at Best Buy for $5,000---yikes!!!)...been very happy...always owned Sony XBR's since they first were produced.
When FMPX10 was announced I purchased at at the Pre-Sales price of $499,and received it when released. All is well with both (tho I agree with alot of owners of the minuses of this unit at present vs. the pluses).
Also own an older Lexicon MC12 (music/cinema) Processor bought at $9K,along with Sunfire 500 watt per channel 5 channel amp and Aerial Acoustics speakers (front,center,side surrounds) and Velodyne Subwoofer.
Since my Lexicon doesn't have HDMI at all (only Toslink and Coaxil) I had to connect the FMPX10 with it's HDMI1 (audio/video)port to my 850A Sony TV HDMI 4 port,out of the Toslink of my TV to the Toslink of the Lexicon processor. With TV setting set to Audio System and TV speakers set to Off...all is well with Streaming (getting both 4K and Dolby Digital 5.1 coming thru the TV Toslink to my Processor)-the front of my Lexicon display tells me 5.1 when it senses it is 5.1)...and as I previously discussed on an earlier post this is not so with Downloading. I am getting 4K with only 2 channel Stereo passing thru my TV's Toslink to my Lexicon processor (again Lexicon display tells me so). I have set the Lexicon to either LOGIC7 or PLII in the case when it senses 2 channel Stereo (when Downloading from the FMPX10)..I have been living with this, not completely satisfied that Downloading on the FMPX10 will only give me 4K with 2 channel Stereo,but I am not at this point replacing my high end Lexicon Processor for just this.

Now that that is all said..

I am about to purchase a Blu-Ray player (I own an old Sony DVD player that needs upgrade)
I need help with this 3rd purchase:
I need some suggestions...
My choices are:
SONY 6200
SONY 7200
OPPO 103
OPPO 103D (I dont believe I will ever use the Darby Processing tho)

Some suggestions/Comments will be appreciated.
And
Why you would choose 1 from the other before I make my purchase this Labor Day weekend (likley today)

Many thanks to all as always.

Last edited by aflorida; 08-30-2014 at 05:54 AM.
post #1048 of 1365 Old 08-30-2014, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
I am new to this forum and have been extremely pleased with everyone's knowledge (it sure beats calling Sony reps and developing a headache speaking with them).
I own the Sony 4K 65 inch 850A (purchased when first released last Oct./Nov. at Best Buy for $5,000---yikes!!!)...been very happy...always owned Sony XBR's since they first were produced.
When FMPX10 was announced I purchased at at the Pre-Sales price of $499,and received it when released. All is well with both (tho I agree with alot of owners of the minuses of this unit at present vs. the pluses).
Also own an older Lexicon MC12 (music/cinema) Processor bought at $9K,along with Sunfire 500 watt per channel 5 channel amp and Aerial Acoustics speakers (front,center,side surrounds) and Velodyne Subwoofer.
Since my Lexicon doesn't have HDMI at all (only Toslink and Coaxil) I had to connect the FMPX10 with it's HDMI1 (audio/video)port to my 850A Sony TV HDMI 4 port,out of the Toslink of my TV to the Toslink of the Lexicon processor. With TV setting set to Audio System and TV speakers set to Off...all is well with Streaming (getting both 4K and Dolby Digital 5.1 coming thru the TV Toslink to my Processor)-the front of my Lexicon display tells me 5.1 when it senses it is 5.1)...and as I previously discussed on an earlier post this is not so with Downloading. I am getting 4K with only 2 channel Stereo passing thru my TV's Toslink to my Lexicon processor (again Lexicon display tells me so). I have set the Lexicon to either LOGIC7 or PLII in the case when it senses 2 channel Stereo (when Downloading from the FMPX10)..I have been living with this, not completely satisfied that Downloading on the FMPX10 will only give me 4K with 2 channel Stereo,but I am not at this point replacing my high end Lexicon Processor for just this.

Now that that is all said..

I am about to purchase a Blu-Ray player (I own an old Sony DVD player that needs upgrade)
I need help with this 3rd purchase:
I need some suggestions...
My choices are:
SONY 6200
SONY 7200
OPPO 103
OPPO 103D (I dont believe I will ever use the Darby Processing tho)

Some suggestions/Comments will be appreciated.
And
Why you would choose 1 from the other before I make my purchase this Labor Day weekend (likley today)

Many thanks to all as always.
I own the oppo 103 and have no regrets buying it - it is also recognized as the best bluray player by several different websites.
I would not get the darby version - didn't exist when i bought mine so i didn't have that choice but if you decide you want that down the road you can get a darblet and run all of your signals through it.
Soycrema likes this.
post #1049 of 1365 Old 08-30-2014, 06:32 AM

I was thinking about buying the Sony 7200, but after thinking about it, I've watched probably 3 DVDs over the last year (2 of those were just to see some 3D content). All the apps that will be loaded on the 7200 I probably have either on my 850A or my X10 so I decided I don't need another DVD player. Now, since the 850A doesn't have H.265 processing built in like some of the newer sets, any movie you want to watch on a USB drive will probably need to be watched through the X10. If Sony released a DVD player that plays 4K content, I might consider buying one, but when all these other streaming services start broadcasting 4K by the end of the year, I'm sure they'll be added to the X10.

When I bought my first 3DTV years ago, I had no choice but to buy a DVD player that played 3D movies if I wanted to watch something in 3D. I see the DVD player slowly being phased out over the next few years. When I got the most use out of my DVD player is when video rental stores were thriving. I had a monthly membership at Blockbuster where I could rent as many movies as I wanted for a monthly fee. With the onset of faster internet speeds, media players with built-in hard drives, and the fact that you can't even find a video rental store anymore unless it's a Red Box (which I've only used when driving on vacation so my daughters can watch a movie in the car), I see DVDS now in the same category as CDs. Some people still like to use them, but it's not going to provide anything that you can't already get. Honestly, even if you bought one, your TV is going to do the upscaling to 4K. Even if you bought DVDS that were "Mastered in 4K," how many times do you think you're going to watch that movie over and over. The demand is so low for DVDS now, the only way a company can make money is by renting them through a vending machine, which doesn't have all the costs associated with a brick and mortar store. Red Box makes more money off their Coinstar machines where you can pour all your change into it, have it counted, and then give you a ticket which is used to get bills, all for an 8% fee.

post #1050 of 1365 Old 08-30-2014, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread - fmp-x10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page