Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post

Now that that is all said..

I am about to purchase a Blu-Ray player (I own an old Sony DVD player that needs upgrade)
I need help with this 3rd purchase:
I need some suggestions...
My choices are:
SONY 6200
SONY 7200
OPPO 103
OPPO 103D (I dont believe I will ever use the Darby Processing tho)

Some suggestions/Comments will be appreciated.
And
Why you would choose 1 from the other before I make my purchase this Labor Day weekend (likley today)

Many thanks to all as always.

If the money isn't an issue, It's a no-brainer IMO. The Oppo is definitely the way to go. Great support added to the great product = No-brainer

I would pick up the "D", only because I prefer the processing, and you'd be saving money by having it packaged in the Oppo. I'm always willing to spend a little more for more choices regardless if I ever actually put them to use.

Don't think you'd regret the Oppo, great product.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Soycrema likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1840 Old 08-30-2014, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yes, if you think you're going to watch DVDs, the OPPO Darbee is the way to go. I just can't justify buying a DVD player.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
post #1053 of 1840 Old 08-30-2014, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Help with a 3rd purchase....

Thanks for your feedback on my 3rd purchase. If I decide on the OPPO 103 or 103D do I have to think about HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 (whether the DVD player I choose has it...doesnt have it...need to have it with my set up/electronics I detailed in my earlier post today). I am "still" trying to get my head around that issue I was concerned about yesterday.

With your reply I will then make my decision. Many thxs as always.

Last edited by aflorida; 08-30-2014 at 09:53 AM.
post #1054 of 1840 Old 08-30-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 914
I have the Oppo as well, and a stand-alone Darblet. The Oppo can't be beat, and the stand-alone Darblet (if you ever want Darbee processing), offers more hook-up flexibility.
post #1055 of 1840 Old 08-30-2014, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback on my 3rd purchase. If I decide on the OPPO 103 or 103D do I have to think about HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 (whether the DVD player I choose has it...doesnt have it...need to have it with my set up/electronics I detailed in my earlier post today). I am "still" trying to get my head around that issue I was concerned about yesterday.

With your reply I will then make my decision. Many thxs as always.
Won't have to worry about the 2.0/HDCP2.2 issue until we actually get some kind verification that 4K Blu-Ray will actually become reality. I am on the side of the debate that it has to be on the horizon, there's just no way around it if 4K is to actually thrive.

Just a guess (speculation), but I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing 4K disc's and players by the middle of next year. So I guess you could be looking at buying another player in a year or so when 2.0 actually becomes part of the equation for 4K Blu-Ray. But until then, enjoy whatever product you choose :thumbup:

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 08-30-2014 at 10:24 AM.
post #1056 of 1840 Old 08-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I have the Oppo as well, and a stand-alone Darblet. The Oppo can't be beat, and the stand-alone Darblet (if you ever want Darbee processing), offers more hook-up flexibility.
True, I think you can disable Darbee processing on the Oppo as well. Don't own the D model, but pretty sure I read it in the Oppo thread. So it gives you almost the same flexibility. Almost. .....

post #1057 of 1840 Old 08-30-2014, 10:51 AM

Help with a 3rd purchase....

Thanks...I will surley think this one out. Purchase a DVD player now or wait a year..or two...or three...
And I have 1 more concern:
Since my Sony 65 inch 850A (with all software updates)have HDMI 2.0 on all (4) HDMI ports with ONLY HDMI 4 port with both HDMI 2.0 AND HDCP 2.2 (that was confirmed by all of you yesterday) ..what does one do when a DVD player needs to be connected to another port with both HDMI 2.0 AND HDCP 2.2. (my HDMI 4 port with BOTH of these has my FMPX10 already plugged in). Wouldn't a future DVD player need that? Or am I confused/wrong?
Even the new Sony 4k TV models just released have only 1 port (i dont know if it is HDMI port 1 or port 2 on these sets)that have BOTH HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2.

Why wasnt it given on "all" TV HDMI ports to accomodate future electronics.

I hate to think with future products I would have to keep on disconnecting my FMPX10 from port 4 of my TV to connect another product. Then re-connect when using my FMPX10.

I have a headache........
post #1058 of 1840 Old 08-30-2014, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have a headache........

Welcome to the club!

I recently jumped on the Dolby Atmos bandwagon as well. So choosing a new AVR became very problematic when considering the options manufacturers were providing. Some chose the HDCP 2.2 route minus true HDMI 2.0, instead calling it HDMI 2.0 a/b which differs on the video pass through capabilities of each. I went with the Onkyo HDCP 2.2 line, considering Sony seems to have taken that route, but ironically enough, they still aren't compatible.

Unless the actual HDCP 2.2 experience differs outside of the one I'm currently experiencing with the two products I own. I just don't see how practical it is considering how completely useless it renders your HT gear and how we've designed these products to integrate seamlessly into our HT environment. It's ridiculous really. ...

post #1059 of 1840 Old 08-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Got a call yesterday from SEN Support, and my movie issue was resolved to my complete satisfaction.
post #1060 of 1840 Old 08-30-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I preordered my X10 before it launched to lock in the $500 price, but I heard other people who did this have gotten the free Amazing Spider-Man 2? Is this true, and how do I do it?
post #1061 of 1840 Old 08-30-2014, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post
I preordered my X10 before it launched to lock in the $500 price, but I heard other people who did this have gotten the free Amazing Spider-Man 2? Is this true, and how do I do it?

I emailed with SEN support back and forth for 3 weeks about this and never got any resolution. Ultimately I decided it want worth my time. Guess their feet dragging worked.
post #1062 of 1840 Old 08-30-2014, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

I believe getting the movie had to do with when the X10 was first activated on the SEN network. The free Spiderman 2 promo started on August 5th. Not 100% certain but it seems those who activated on or after this date received the pop-up to get the movie free. I have also been in contact with SEN support about getting the movie for free but same old rigmarole.
post #1063 of 1840 Old 08-30-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
True, I think you can disable Darbee processing on the Oppo as well. Don't own the D model, but pretty sure I read it in the Oppo thread. So it gives you almost the same flexibility. Almost. .....

By flexibility, I meant you can insert the Darblet between the AVR and the display, thereby applying Darbee processing to all video sources connected to the AVR. With the 103D, you would have to hook all your devices to the Oppo and let the Oppo do the HDMI switching. That method is not as elegant, IMO.
post #1064 of 1840 Old 08-30-2014, 03:09 PM

I too pre-ordered the FMPX10 at $499.00 and was delivered upon release. I did infact get the Spider Man 2 for Free upon set-up/activation. Took about 5 hours to Download...started in the morning...it was available to watch in the afternoon. Not bad considering it has taken some users 20 hours+.
When I check on my FMPX10 >My 4K videos>settings>Download speed it is not that bad. I am getting anywhere from 20-25-to at times it reached over 30 mpbs. I am using wired LAN connection on all my devices..I don't like wireless at all..using CAT6 Ethernet Cables.
My usual Download speed when using my Laptop and checking Speedtest.com is 65-75 and Upload is around 45.
I have the NO Limit Setting on my FMPX10
post #1065 of 1840 Old 08-30-2014, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

The rep who worked out the 10 movies for me said he is also going to be the person who will handle my pathetically slow X10 speed.

I am still clocking no more than 10Mbps on featurettes. (Any chance that downloading a full $$ feature would result in a faster speed?)

Aflorida, as a kindred Floridian, would you check to see if any movie preview is downloaded at your place as the same fast speed as you generally get?

Thanks.
post #1066 of 1840 Old 08-30-2014, 05:02 PM

OK...all my Download speeds register the same ...clips and movies and trailers...clocking in around Download speeds of 20+,hovering around 25+,sometimes reaching 30+ (when checking My 4K videos>Settings>Download Speed)
I live in New York City ( I don't live in Florida--thats just my actual last name...truly!) ..could be based on location and paired with Sony capping the Download Speed as others have said in this Forum.
NOTE:The only time I had TERRIBLE speeds was earlier this week when the Auto Download occured on the FMPX10 that lasted almost 24 hours....the Download speed went crazy and went from 25 or so(as usual) to as low as 3+...taking almost 24 hours to complete).
post #1067 of 1840 Old 08-30-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
Got a call yesterday from SEN Support, and my movie issue was resolved to my complete satisfaction.
Finally....that's great!
post #1068 of 1840 Old 08-30-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
By flexibility, I meant you can insert the Darblet between the AVR and the display, thereby applying Darbee processing to all video sources connected to the AVR. With the 103D, you would have to hook all your devices to the Oppo and let the Oppo do the HDMI switching. That method is not as elegant, IMO.
That's my setup as well. Quite satisfied with my Oppo 103 blu-ray player and a separate Darblet at the end of my video chain. All my sources run through my AVR then to the Darby just before my Sony.
However the X10 runs direct to the Sony HDMI. The Darblet is for folks who want to squeeze the last bit of detail out of their video sources.
post #1069 of 1840 Old 08-30-2014, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
That is in line with my post. If Sony wants in on the Amazon service, all they have to do is pony up the dough. Amazon hasn't excluded other 4K manufacturers....

All Amazon "Original Series" will be shot in 4K. A couple premiered last night. I watched "Hand of God", hoping to find out if it was shot in 4k, but no luck. I didn't see any reference in the credits and couldn't find any information online.

I hope Sony jumps on the bandwagon, but you know they want to sell their own products first. So to disregard the economic side of things wouldn't be prudent.

It looks like Amazon, SONY, and Samsung have scheduled New Announcements/ Press Conferences for this Wed. 9-3-14 in Berlin, ahead of the IFA-Berlin Technology Show which starts on Friday 9-5-14.... This is where we may hear whether or not Amazon's 4K Streaming Service will be exclusive or not.... And whether SONY will add it to the FMP-X10 for those of us with SONY TV's lacking the new HEVC encoding....

Crossing my fingers that lots of 4K content/ provider announcements come out of this year's IFA-Berlin show.... It goes thru Wed. 9-10-14.... Anyone at AVS Forum attending ???
post #1070 of 1840 Old 08-30-2014, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario315 View Post
It looks like Amazon, SONY, and Samsung have scheduled New Announcements/ Press Conferences for this Wed. 9-3-14 in Berlin, ahead of the IFA-Berlin Technology Show which starts on Friday 9-5-14.... This is where we may hear whether or not Amazon's 4K Streaming Service will be exclusive or not.... And whether SONY will add it to the FMP-X10 for those of us with SONY TV's lacking the new HEVC encoding....

Crossing my fingers that lots of 4K content/ provider announcements come out of this year's IFA-Berlin show.... It goes thru Wed. 9-10-14.... Anyone at AVS Forum attending ???
Let's hope.

I wish I could attend, but I'm in the process of moving out of this god forsaken desert back to New York. I'm hoping by the time my Household Goods shipment arrives back in New York they'll at least have the surround left channel issue sorted. Would be nice!

I will miss CES though, about the only thing I liked being stationed here in Las Vegas.

post #1071 of 1840 Old 08-31-2014, 08:34 AM

FMPX10 in it's current state

Been trying to honestly evaluate the FMPX10 since I have now had it installed close to one month now. I have hopes (like all of us) this unit will "improve" with age/over time, but in it's current state I am not getting much use out of it. Remains OFF most of the time....once in a while I check to see if there is anything " new" I would like to see.
CONS:
-terribly expensive movies (most are BUY only)....most of the titles are "older" titles I don't care to own
-download time (tho I am not expierencing anywhere near the Download times most are expierencing--Luckily I can Download a movie/clip reasonably quickly...clocking in at 25-to almost 35 mpbs when I check My 4K videos>Settings>Download Speed)
-terribly lengthy Auto Download time (we all expierenced this past week taking almost 24 hours to do whatever it was Auto Downloading)
-since there is still not much 4K content at the present...With Netflix I already have watched every episode out there of "House Of Cards" and "Breaking Bad"...both not a favorite of mine I have just been watching since there is little else...and with the Free 4K Nature shorts tell me how many of us have watched the full 4K nature short in it's entirety which there seems to be plenty of....how many times can you watch flowers blooming,mountains and waves hitting the shore?
-and the biggest quirk is when Downloading and using FMPX10 HDMI 1 port to my Sony 65 inch 850A HDMI 4 port... then Toslink out of TV to my older Lexicon MC12 processor (no HDMI's on my processor only Toslink and Coaxil) only getting 2 channel Stereo when Downloading. It's OK when Steamimg -getting 5.1 Dolby Digital but not when Downloading-only getting 2 channel stereo. I am not going to replace at this time my high end $9,000 procsssor for just this FMPX10 issue...Why didn't Sony include in the back of the FMPX10 a Digital output either Toslink or Coaxil for us owners of older receivers/processors. All DVD players have it--both Sony and OPPO DVD players for example have Digital outputs...and so does my HD Cable Box
-and the expienence you are all having using FMPX10 HDMI 2 port to receiver and not having SL channel-thats an even more depressing issue!
-is true 4K really that impressive? The Sony 850A with 4K upscaling looks impressive itself. Not "much" of a difference with actual 4K material my eyes can see/notice
-is there anything I missed?

PROS:
Blank

I would return mine but I did Buy it at the pre-sales price of $499.00 and like everyone else I have hopes this will "improve" with age

Just asking your opinions.....

Last edited by aflorida; 08-31-2014 at 08:54 AM.
post #1072 of 1840 Old 08-31-2014, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Agreed,

Sony really needs step up and address two issues. QUICKLY

1. Get the frickin thing to work properly. How hard is it? I purchased it assuming it would at least work properly.

2. Prices: They think they're going to bend us over due to the lack of choices we currently have. I love that approach from manufacturers, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

You can include me in the "Extremely Disappointed" group.

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 08-31-2014 at 09:52 AM.
post #1073 of 1840 Old 08-31-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I am resigned to the fact that there isn't much content available, but that will get better over time. And the slow download speeds isn't my major complaint. What irritates me most are the sound issues--the dropouts when using HDMI2, and the lack of sound on the surround left channel. The product is not working as it should, and Sony should accelerate its commitment to make it right.
post #1074 of 1840 Old 08-31-2014, 08:56 AM

I think Sony is laughing all the way to the bank with us "early" adapters....
post #1075 of 1840 Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

post #1076 of 1840 Old 08-31-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You are right, Sony's complacency in addressing the issues with the unit & pricing of the movies can easily backfire especially once the third party 4k media players & streaming services get going. Tronsmart already has announced Orion R28 4k media player with HEVC & HDMI 2.0 output. Its only a matter of time.

Vinod
post #1077 of 1840 Old 08-31-2014, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

I'm not sure whether they ever saw this product as a significant cash cow. It isn't a device that required extensive design, (and surely didn't undergo rigorous testing.)

I feel it was approached as an add-on for a niche market as part of an already select group of specialty television buyers.
post #1078 of 1840 Old 08-31-2014, 10:03 AM

FMPX10 in it's current state

and as I already commented earlier today(see my previous post from earlier today)
---and the biggest quirk is when Downloading and using FMPX10 HDMI 1 port to my Sony 65 inch 850A HDMI 4 port... then Toslink out of TV to my older Lexicon MC12 processor (no HDMI's on my processor only Toslink and Coaxil) only getting 2 channel Stereo when Downloading. It's OK when Steamimg -getting 5.1 Dolby Digital but not when Downloading-only getting 2 channel stereo. I am not going to replace at this time my high end $9,000 procsssor for just this FMPX10 issue...Why didn't Sony include in the back of the FMPX10 a Digital output either Toslink or Coaxil for us owners of older receivers/processors. All DVD players have it--both Sony and OPPO DVD players for example have Digital outputs...and so does my HD Cable Box
post #1079 of 1840 Old 08-31-2014, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
I'm not sure whether they ever saw this product as a significant cash cow. It isn't a device that required extensive design, (and surely didn't undergo rigorous testing.)

I feel it was approached as an add-on for a niche market as part of an already select group of specialty television buyers.
For it's purpose, the FMP-X10 is not near the quality one would expect from Sony. These issues are far from "minor", considering it's use. I mean what if you purchased a new AVR and you hooked it all up only to find out you had no audio to your SL channel. That thing would be back in the box and returned in the blink of an eye. To magnify that, it's not just one defective unit, it's the product line as a whole!!! God forbid you're a new business and this is your first product, you'd be done!

Very, very disappointed in the competence of the technical side of the house when they were developing and testing this unit. Hate to sound like a broken record, but they were so concerned with making sure the FMP-X10 couldn't be used with any other product, that they shipped customers a big pile of expensive steamy sh*t knowing it just didn't work properly. There's no way you'll ever convince me they weren't aware of these issues, no way..

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 08-31-2014 at 10:14 AM.
post #1080 of 1840 Old 08-31-2014, 10:18 AM

FMPX10 in its current state

...and considering how long ago it was announced at CES before actually shipping....long enough to test properly and possibly "postsponing" its release date
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
fmp-x10
Gear in this thread - fmp-x10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page