Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
Thanks for an excellent report. I was afraid it was going to be like the X1, sounds like it is.
whats everyone expecting from the x10? a massive hike in movie PQ compared to the x1? I wouldn't be surprised if the movie streams are exactly the same on the x1 and x10 with the hevc codec only being used for Netflix and usb input.
Geoff D likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Yes, it will be nice to have the benefit of HEVC (H.265). Hoping they add more streaming choices. Perhaps Amazon Prime will enter the 4k streaming in the near future.

I am hoping for a PQ increase on the X10 but I don't think it is there. The PQ on the movies of the X1 left a lot to be desired in looking like 4K. The shorts looked great however.

Last edited by dreaux; 07-18-2014 at 07:40 AM.
post #93 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke02 View Post
with crutchfield, you get 60 days. either way, please don't do that. For the first evaluation period to see if you want to keep it, that's all well and good but, to keep cycling it is abusing the policy and will get it shut down for everybody else. That's what shut down Costco's return policy on TV's. It's abusing a well intentioned policy...

Also, I imagine if you keep repurchasing the same product and returning it within the return window, somebody is going to shut that down on you and you're going to be stuck with the player.

edit: derp... didn't see others had already addressed this topic. Sorry guys
thank you. I have ethics its just that I believe that if everyone is greedy, then we can all locally optimize. In a prisoners dilemma, I would totally rat out the other person and try to get set free.
post #94 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfruitcake View Post
whats everyone expecting from the x10? a massive hike in movie PQ compared to the x1? I wouldn't be surprised if the movie streams are exactly the same on the x1 and x10 with the hevc codec only being used for Netflix and usb input.
There was nothing wrong with the PQ on the X-1, so no, I was not expecting any PQ changes. The X-10 is just a ton more user friendly, snappier interface, will be capable of streaming Netflix, Amazon etc., as well as USB capabilities... For a $500 4K solution (regardless of content availability) I have no complaints. Well there is that video drop I'm getting trying to run it straight through my Onkyo, but that's another story...
post #95 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfruitcake View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
There was nothing wrong with the PQ on the X-1, so no, I was not expecting any PQ changes. The X-10 is just a ton more user friendly, snappier interface, will be capable of streaming Netflix, Amazon etc (HOPEFULLY ., as well as USB capabilities... For a $500 4K solution (regardless of content availability) I have no complaints. Well there is that video drop I'm getting trying to run it straight through my Onkyo, but that's another story...
everything Tweaker said. Also, faster download speeds which everyone except for 1 person has said is true.
post #96 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm glad I picked up my FMP-X1 new off Ebay for $200 when I had the chance. Sounds like much hasn't changed except for H.265 support for Netflix 4K. I have a 950B, so that doesn't really matter for me.
post #97 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
everything Tweaker said. Also, faster download speeds which everyone except for 1 person has said is true.
I have no doubt Amazon's 4K service will end up on the X-20 ....Oooops did I say that ..

Seriously though, we'll see it on the X-10...Amazon just has to get it in gear!!
post #98 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Is anyone running the X10 on a VW600ES projector? Since it isn't explicitly stated as supporting the projector I am crossing my fingers that it will work.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Marantz SR-7009, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Cambridge Minx 11
post #99 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
Is anyone running the X10 on a VW600ES projector? Since it isn't explicitly stated as supporting the projector I am crossing my fingers that it will work.
I know I have asked this question but has anyone gotten 4K videos downloaded to a flash drive to work on the X-10? For me this is very important since I am going to be uploading 4K personal videos. The X-10 is supposed to have this feature but then someone had mentioned it isn't working or won't work until an update later in the year. Otherwise I might have to go with the 900B since I know it works on that and I'm very impatient
post #100 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40
So if I buy an X900B, the only benefit of the FMP-X10 is the ability to buy and store, or rent, $30 movies from a very limited catalogue? Wondering if I should cancel my FMP-X10 order.
post #101 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibrewski View Post
So if I buy an X900B, the only benefit of the FMP-X10 is the ability to buy and store, or rent, $30 movies from a very limited catalogue? Wondering if I should cancel my FMP-X10 order.
Yes. I think it is useless to B owners to be honest.

Mine just got delivered. I will check USB playback right away.
Janibrewski likes this.
post #102 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
They are all Sony movies. Take a look at the list and decide, keeping in mind that they will be adding movies over time.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/c78ae10141c0...&alloworigin=1
Janibrewski likes this.
post #103 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well that, and then you'll be able to participate in this thread as an X-10 owner which is priceless.

Watching 4K (for me) is a big deal, whether it's just a movie once a week, or some random clips. This is currently the most user friendly (reliable) solution on the market. Random boxes will start popping up, but what kind of long term support and sustainabilty they have remains to be seen. Whereas with the Sony, I know support and growth is on the horizon...
bruceames likes this.
post #104 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
They are all Sony movies. Take a look at the list and decide, keeping in mind that they will be adding movies over time.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/c78ae10141c0...&alloworigin=1
How does Sony expect this to work long term? I mean, Sony has a big video library and many movies I enjoy, but without other studios involvement this thing will never last.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Marantz SR-7009, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Cambridge Minx 11
post #105 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well that, and then you'll be able to participate in this thread as an X-10 owner which is priceless.

Watching 4K (for me) is a big deal, whether it's just a movie once a week, or some random clips. This is currently the most user friendly (reliable) solution on the market. Random boxes will start popping up, but what kind of long term support and sustainabilty they have remains to be see. Whereas with the Sony, I know support and growth is on the horizon...
It's a big deal to me too. I've started watching movies from 5 feet away (on my 65") so I will appreciate the difference in quality. I'm a huge fan of being able to watch content in the best quality available and like you say the excitement of being an early adopter is priceless. I plan to watch about one movie a week, is content is scarce and expensive. But IMO the box will pay for itself in a year if I enjoy 52 movies in that time.
TweakerInWA likes this.
post #106 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
How does Sony expect this to work long term? I mean, Sony has a big video library and many movies I enjoy, but without other studios involvement this thing will never last.
Long story short,

the 4K industry is still in it flegling stages. These 4K TV manufacturers had to come up with some kind of solution to the 4K media problem short term to market their products. Why should Sony invest the time and money in a 4K media solution for Samsung or Sharp, and vice versa. Things will eventually change, I say right about the time we start seeing 4K disks and more online streaming options...But until then you have to have something available to sell your product...
post #107 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Long story short,

the 4K industry is still in it flegling stages. These 4K TV manufacturers had to come up with some kind of solution to the 4K media problem short term to market their products. Why should Sony invest the time and money in a 4K media solution for Samsung or Sharp, and vice versa. Things will eventually change, I say right about the time we start seeing 4K disks and more online streaming options...But until then you have to have something available to sell your product...
I am not suggesting Sony create a media player that works for anyone's TV. I am questioning the lack of Walt Disney, Paramount, Universal, and 20th Century Fox's involvement in providing some level of content to the store. The fact is that over the course of the last year they have not broadened the store content beyond their own. Clock is ticking. They need to get us "hooked" now to make the future 4K BD less of an appealing option.

post #108 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

I read somewhere that the UV Consortium is developing a standard for 4K.
post #109 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am not suggesting Sony create a media player that works for anyone's TV. I am questioning the lack of Walt Disney, Paramount, Universal, and 20th Century Fox's involvement in providing some level of content to the store. The fact is that over the course of the last year they have not broadened the store content beyond their own. Clock is ticking. They need to get us "hooked" now to make the future 4K BD less of an appealing option.
Another long story short,

All of the entities you've mentioned above are still in discussion regarding "Standards" and of course the biggest issue, how big is each companies slice of the money pie. The "standards" issue should be resolved by year's end (as reported by a few reputable people in the industry), as should the money issues (but that's speculation on my part)... So once a standard is agreed upon, and the financial side is worked out, we'll start seeing some 4K goodness spread around.... So really there's nothing Sony can do short-term, other than put out what source material they have complete control over...

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 07-18-2014 at 09:43 AM.
post #110 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I read somewhere that the UV Consortium is developing a standard for 4K.
Exactly...
post #111 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First impressions:

Much smaller than I was anticipating. I guess coming from an x1, I was expecting a beast. It is actually smaller than my Sony 6200 blue ray player. The remote is an added bonus...a little larger than the smaller remote that comes with the 900a.

As soon as I turned it on, the TV automatically changed to the correct input and there was a software update that took about 10 minutes.

The first thing I did was try to download Elysium, a free movie I got with the x1. To my surprise there was not a download option...just a play option. I hit play and it started to immediately play. No buffer, nothing. Obviously it was still free. It now shows under my videos, but is a stream, not a download.

Next I plugged in a USB drive full of YouTube videos I downloaded. A new menu called video player appears at the bottom of the home page. All of the videos played. I'll keep you posted. Sound is amazing.

Already worth the money
post #112 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
The long post someone copied from the Sony forum has a lot of misinformation in it, but one piece I can state for certain is that you can in fact change the picture settings while you are using the X10. I think the user in question probably has his scene select set to AUTO. I was able to completely change any of the picture settings I chose, while using the X10.
Traylorc, bruceames and Pixel Dude like this.
post #113 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
First impressions:

Much smaller than I was anticipating. I guess coming from an x1, I was expecting a beast. It is actually smaller than my Sony 6200 blue ray player. The remote is an added bonus...a little larger than the smaller remote that comes with the 900a.

As soon as I turned it on, the TV automatically changed to the correct input and there was a software update that took about 10 minutes.

The first thing I did was try to download Elysium, a free movie I got with the x1. To my surprise there was not a download option...just a play option. I hit play and it started to immediately play. No buffer, nothing. Obviously it was still free. It now shows under my videos, but is a stream, not a download.

Next I plugged in a USB drive full of YouTube videos I downloaded. A new menu called video player appears at the bottom of the home page. All of the videos played. I'll keep you posted. Sound is amazing.

Already worth the money
Getting more exiting...I'm jealous of you guys.

Great to be able to just stream what you own/rent rather than having to d/l first.

I assume the YouTube videos are not 4k?
post #114 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Dunlop View Post
The long post someone copied from the Sony forum has a lot of misinformation in it, but one piece I can state for certain is that you can in fact change the picture settings while you are using the X10. I think the user in question probably has his scene select set to AUTO. I was able to completely change any of the picture settings I chose, while using the X10.

Awesome to know, thanks!

Looking more and more than this is not at all the dud that the X1 was, and is in fact a fine piece of equipment! In new tech the saying is often true that the 2nd time is the charm.
post #115 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Getting more exiting...I'm jealous of you guys.

Great to be able to just stream what you own/rent rather than having to d/l first.

I assume the YouTube videos are not 4k?
They are. On your computer download a program called 4kdownloader. It allows you to save YouTube videos in 4k. Put them on a USB and enjoy
bruceames likes this.
post #116 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just downloaded a video clip to test speeds. I am getting 28mbps down...much better than the 8-12 I got on the x1.

Also so many of the videos are streams . There doesn't seem to be any idication as to which are as someone else said. It is nice to run through the 4k clips without having to wait for a download.

Edit: I think I have figured it out. Most of the free content is preloaded, but does not show in your videos until you "fake" Download it. There is 200gb of storage pre-filled

Last edited by Mattopotamus; 07-18-2014 at 10:32 AM.
post #117 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I agree with Tweaker...the other studios are in no hurry to jump on board until the standards issues is resolved. What company wants to produce or manufactuer a product without understanding basic production standards?

Just my opinion...we all signed up to be early adopters...and most of us understood that it would be a long drawn out process regarding the rollout of readily available 4K material.
post #118 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I will also add that right now there is a dearth of 4K content on the X10, however having purchased a launch PS4 I am fairly confident there will be regular updates to this device, including the addition of more third party streaming content (amazon, hulu, etc.). I actually called and had a somewhat lengthy chat with a Sony CSR before purchase because I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have to buy multiple devices just to stream 4K content. I was repeatedly assured that additional services would be making their way to the platform.
post #119 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone else have popping/intemittent sound with the X10? I just received mine today and hooked it up to the 65X900A and the video plays great but the sound always pops. I tried Netflix first and it popped and I figured it had to do with the internet speed but when I tried downloading a video to the hard drive it did the same thing. The picture quality is great and I have no problems there, its just the sound.

BTW, do I need to use the HDMI cable they supply with the unit or will any HDMI cable work?
post #120 of 1254 Old 07-18-2014, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chebyrashka View Post
Does anyone else have popping/intemittent sound with the X10? I just received mine today and hooked it up to the 65X900A and the video plays great but the sound always pops. I tried Netflix first and it popped and I figured it had to do with the internet speed but when I tried downloading a video to the hard drive it did the same thing. The picture quality is great and I have no problems there, its just the sound.

BTW, do I need to use the HDMI cable they supply with the unit or will any HDMI cable work?
I'm using Monoprice cables, so that's not an issue..

Are you just running the player to the TV using HDMI 1 ? Or to the TV using HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 to your AVR for audio ?

Also take a quick peek in your sound settings..... Sometimes after a firmware upgrade you'll have to reboot things a couple of times for everything to get on the same page . If you've just updated it, I'd try unplugging it for 15-30 secs and see it that fixes the issue. I was dropping audio last night after the firmware upgrade, power cycled it and all is well...Also try reseating your HDMI connections while you're down there...

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 07-18-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread - fmp-x10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page