Sony FMP-X10 owners thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2014, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by chebyrashka View Post
Does anyone else have popping/intemittent sound with the X10? I just received mine today and hooked it up to the 65X900A and the video plays great but the sound always pops. I tried Netflix first and it popped and I figured it had to do with the internet speed but when I tried downloading a video to the hard drive it did the same thing. The picture quality is great and I have no problems there, its just the sound.

BTW, do I need to use the HDMI cable they supply with the unit or will any HDMI cable work?
I'm using Monoprice cables, so that's not an issue..

Are you just running the player to the TV using HDMI 1 ? Or to the TV using HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 to your AVR for audio ?

Also take a quick peek in your sound settings..... Sometimes after a firmware upgrade you'll have to reboot things a couple of times for everything to get on the same page . If you've just updated it, I'd try unplugging it for 15-30 secs and see it that fixes the issue. I was dropping audio last night after the firmware upgrade, power cycled it and all is well...Also try reseating your HDMI connections while you're down there...

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 07-18-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post

Are you just running the player to the TV using HDMI 1 ? Or to the TV using HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 to your AVR ?

Also take a quick peek in your sound settings..... Sometimes after a firmware upgrade you'll have to reboot things a couple of times for everything to get on the same page . If you've just updated it, I'd try unplugging it for 15-30 secs and see it that fixes the issue. I was dropping audio last night after the firmware upgrade, power cycled it and all is well...
Yeah mine are from monoprice too, I didn't think it would be an issue either but thought I would check.

Its a plain vanilla setup, running from HDMI 1 straight to the TV. Never expected audio to be a problem.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 307
The old Netflix movies remastered are blah. House of cards and breaking bad look good though.

There is a massive difference between the Sony and USB content and the streamed Netflix content. Streaming will definitely not be what carries 4k. The hour I have spent with Netflix just proves how important a disc based format is. Blue rays look better than the Netflix 4k content.

Last edited by Mattopotamus; 07-18-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I can confirm it works without issue on the VW600ES. My initial impression is, well, I'm not really impressed. Netflix 4K is nice, but there is pretty limited 4k content. The Video Unlimited freebies I checked out left me feeling pretty lackluster. Upscaling BD on my 103D is in many ways just as good and there is better sound as well. Got a feeling this thing is being returned.

The Living Room: Sony XBR-75X940C

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, HTPC, Marantz AV8802, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, 2 x Emotiva XPA-200, 2 x MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 4 x MartinLogan Motion 4 (Ceiling/Height), 2 x Rythmik FV15HP
Old 07-18-2014, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
The old Netflix movies remastered are blah. House of cards and breaking bad look good though.

There is a massive difference between the Sony and USB content and the streamed Netflix content. Streaming will definitely not be what carries 4k. The hour I have spent with Netflix just proves how important a disc based format is. Blue rays look better than the Netflix 4k content.
Good to know. While Sony's charge to purchase movies is a bit outlandish, I figured this would be the case and thoughtthe value of this box would be having content you could download rather than stream. Although, that could just be justifying the purchase of my 850A that can't stream.

Since streaming can't do full 1080p justice, it makes sense that 4k would be underwhelming I guess.. Hopefully Netflix can use HEVC to make 1080p content look better as well, but that's probably a few years off.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Awesome to know, thanks!

Looking more and more than this is not at all the dud that the X1 was, and is in fact a fine piece of equipment! In new tech the saying is often true that the 2nd time is the charm.

in its current form if offers nothing over the x1 if you have the 900B. With the B i can watch Netflix 4k content as well as hevc and mp4 4k content via usb. If you already own the x1 and think the movie pq is poor your going to be dissapointed with Netflix 4K, You could argue the likes of Ghostbusters and Breaking Bad are available with your monthly sub but what you get is dire PQ compared to the x1/x10 paid for content. $499 to watch House Of Cards.........bargain
Old 07-18-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Whereas with the Sony, I know support and growth is on the horizon...

yeah they are just hammering the new content onto the 4k unlimited store, I cant keep up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
How does Sony expect this to work long term? I mean, Sony has a big video library and many movies I enjoy, but without other studios involvement this thing will never last.

you can count on 1 hand how many movies are worth purchasing for the increased PQ over the bluray

Last edited by HDfruitcake; 07-18-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 88
So there is no difference in pq between streaming and playing downloads of the same Sony content?

Last edited by bruceames; 07-18-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
So there is no difference in pq between streaming and playing downloads of the same Sony content?
The Sony content on Netflix 4k is garbage compared to the downloaded content. Netflix streamed content is shackled to 15mbit using hevc which isn't enough. the 4k unlimited content uses a much higher bitrate. HEVC is supposed to be 50% more efficient than AVC but it isn't yet.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfruitcake View Post
The Sony content on Netflix 4k is garbage compared to the downloaded content. Netflix streamed content is shackled to 15mbit using hevc which isn't enough. the 4k unlimited content uses a much higher bitrate. HEVC is supposed to be 50% more efficient than AVC but it isn't yet.
not referring to Netflix at all but rather streaming from Sony 4k unlimited. Matt, would it be the same quality assuming 20+ me d/. Speed?
Old 07-18-2014, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
not referring to Netflix at all but rather streaming from Sony 4k unlimited. Matt, would it be the same quality assuming 20+ me d/. Speed?
You should be good with those speeds and the quality should look fine.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

which specificallyare you using?

I have this http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2 in my walls for the living room and this http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2 going to the bedroom (both end up in my media closet) but havent been able to test if either will pass a 4k signal.....i am kinda thinking it may have trouble

I will be using a pangea pce for the x10 to the tv, i don't forsee an issue there though

thoughts? opinions? pictures of cats?
Old 07-18-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2858 Post(s)
Liked: 1512
My understanding is that you should have "high speed" HDMI cables. Both of the links you provided show "standard speed" cables.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
true but i guess my question is really how much overhead is there in cables? I have heard double, i have heard only 15% as I understand it, 4k needs at least 10.2g, but I have seen stuff on youtube and read things elsewhere suggesting that standard speed cables can occasionally do it depending on construction. there is no doubt that the cables i listed are half that. while they do pass a 1080p flawlessly, i just wonder how much overhead there really is, if i am using that word correctly.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TcdF22b2 View Post
true but i guess my question is really how much overhead is there in cables? I have heard double, i have heard only 15% as I understand it, 4k needs at least 10.2g, but I have seen stuff on youtube and read things elsewhere suggesting that standard speed cables can occasionally do it depending on construction. there is no doubt that the cables i listed are half that. while they do pass a 1080p flawlessly, i just wonder how much overhead there really is, if i am using that word correctly.
The good news is HDMI cables are cheap
Old 07-18-2014, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfruitcake View Post
in its current form if offers nothing over the x1 if you have the 900B. With the B i can watch Netflix 4k content as well as hevc and mp4 4k content via usb. If you already own the x1 and think the movie pq is poor your going to be dissapointed with Netflix 4K, You could argue the likes of Ghostbusters and Breaking Bad are available with your monthly sub but what you get is dire PQ compared to the x1/x10 paid for content. $499 to watch House Of Cards.........bargain
In its current form the X10 can stream Sony 4K Unlimited movies and download them at close to 30 mbps. Can the X1 do that?
Old 07-18-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Please note that all of the Sony Video Unlimited 4K content will be played from the HDD.

There will be two options when you select the content:
1) Buy
2) Buy & Download

The "Buy" option without download is telling you that the content is already pre-installed on the HDD.

For the "Buy & Download" option, after the content has downloaded you will be able to play it.

BR,
Old 07-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, I see. I was under the impression that the movies and video clips from Sony could be streamed as well as downloaded. Glad to hear that the free ones are pre-loaded (as well as Elysium?)
Old 07-18-2014, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Logitech Harmony and AV Input Switching

Two questions for fellow X10 owners:

1 -- has anyone had any luck getting their Harmony Ultimate remote to work?

2 -- I have audio for the X10 running through my STR-DN1040 receiver. Whenever I turn the X10 on, it defaults to HDMI 2, which is great, but it defaults to the "TV" input on the receiver (instead of SA-CD input, which is where I have the audio running). Anyone know if there's a way to change it?

Right now these are my only complaints -- it's difficult to switch from any other activity (like watching cable) to the X10 and back again using the Harmony Ultimate remote, and getting the right AV input is cumbersome.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
Old 07-18-2014, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok, I see. I was under the impression that the movies and video clips from Sony could be streamed as well as downloaded. Glad to hear that the free ones are pre-loaded (as well as Elysium?)
It must be. I didn't have to download it, but I do own it (free with the x1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbeno View Post
Two questions for fellow X10 owners:

1 -- has anyone had any luck getting their Harmony Ultimate remote to work?

2 -- I have audio for the X10 running through my STR-DN1040 receiver. Whenever I turn the X10 on, it defaults to HDMI 2, which is great, but it defaults to the "TV" input on the receiver (instead of SA-CD input, which is where I have the audio running). Anyone know if there's a way to change it?

Right now these are my only complaints -- it's difficult to switch from any other activity (like watching cable) to the X10 and back again using the Harmony Ultimate remote, and getting the right AV input is cumbersome.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
1) not in the database yet. The x1 is, but you cannot use that since it never had a remote.

2) not sure
Old 07-18-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
That is correct, some of the movies are pre-installed and are not visible until after being purchased. If you do not see the "Download" option it is on the HDD.

VU4K is not a streaming service.

BTW not all of the free content is pre-installed.

BR,
Old 07-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

So are there any movies at all preloaded (and likely, free)?
Old 07-18-2014, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
so quick question for you guys how much better is the pq on the sony 4k movies than a bluray movie on a 4k tv that upscales the bluray?
Old 07-18-2014, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So are there any movies at all preloaded (and likely, free)?
Well Elysium if for sure preloaded, but not fee. No full length movie is free.

It is strange to me to preloaded the content, but not show that it is there. The only way to get that 230gb of storage back would be to immediately format the hard drive.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Sadly, I was under the impression that there was supposed to be a certain # of full length movies included.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith2 View Post
Sadly, I was under the impression that there was supposed to be a certain # of full length movies included.
Nope. Last year there was a deal where people got 10 free movies with the purchase of the x1. I guess they figured the $200 off was the deal.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Nope. Last year there was a deal where people got 10 free movies with the purchase of the x1. I guess they figured the $200 off was the deal.
But were they really free, as far you being able to use them on future Sony media players? If they were free only for use on the X1, then it wasn't a very good deal.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
But were they really free, as far you being able to use them on future Sony media players? If they were free only for use on the X1, then it wasn't a very good deal.
I purchased Elysium and American Hustle right off the bat and both were ready to watch immediately. They're either pre-loaded, or streaming at an alarming rate (the latter of which I highly doubt).

Maybe it's my crappy eyes, but I can't tell any difference at all between 4K and blu-ray. I guess I thought it would be more like blu-ray vs. DVD, but we may have officially reached the limit of the human eye.

I wish there were better movies to compare -- some 16:9 aspect ratios would help, and some better, longer close-ups in recent movies. I'm also having a beast of a time syncing up the lips...
Old 07-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbeno View Post
I purchased Elysium and American Hustle right off the bat and both were ready to watch immediately. They're either pre-loaded, or streaming at an alarming rate (the latter of which I highly doubt).
I'm really curious to know which. If you're able to watch the Sony 4K Unlimited movies while they are being downloaded, then that is basically the same thing as streaming.

Is it possible to check memory to see what exactly is pre-loaded?

Last edited by bruceames; 07-18-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I'm really curious to know which. If you're able to watch the Sony 4K Unlimited movies while they are being downloaded, then that is basically the same thing as streaming.

Is it possible to check memory to see what exactly is pre-loaded?
Well Elysium was free and I have it on both players.

I do not see a way to see what is preloaded.

Tags
fmp-x10