Sony FMP-X10 owners thread - Page 6 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
the x1 came preloaded with 1.6tb of content allowing you to purchase and watch instantly,it would say downloaded under the thumbnail with a trash can icon @ the top of the screen. A lot of the preloaded content is junk so is worth deleting asap. A 2 hour movie runs at about 50-55mbit/s making streaming a no go.

Last edited by HDfruitcake; 07-18-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfruitcake View Post
the x1 came preloaded with 1.6tb of content allowing you to purchase and watch instantly or select a downloaded title and/or delete it to free up space.A 2 hour movie runs at about 50-55mbit/s making streaming a no go.
The x1 content showed in the "my videos" section. The x10 videos do not show up. You have to go to the store, fake download it, and then it shows. Unlike the x1 there is no way to tell what is preloaded.
post #153 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
They are. On your computer download a program called 4kdownloader. It allows you to save YouTube videos in 4k. Put them on a USB and enjoy
Mattopotamus, what format did you save your videos in?
post #154 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoSmoke View Post
Mattopotamus, what format did you save your videos in?
Mp4
post #155 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Just to clear things up (I think)....

There are movie's tied to your account, if you were a previous X-1 owner you'll be able to log in and stream previously purchased content IF that movie is one that has been placed into Sony's streaming availability server. If it's not, you'll have to download it again. Elysium was a movie that was a freebie on the X-1 when you opened your account, so I'm assuming Sony has made it streamable content to satisfy previous owners by giving them something right off the bat. There are pre-loaded clips that won't need downloaded on the HDD, just odd they decided not to make it clear which one's they are . ..

Edit: Example being, I've purchased Lawrence of Arabia and The Amazing Spiderman, Spiderman is available to stream, but I have to download Lawrence of Arabia because it's not ..

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 07-18-2014 at 05:09 PM.
post #156 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
Just to clear things up (I think)....

There are movie's tied to your account, if you were a previous X-1 owner you'll be able to log in and stream previously purchased content IF that movie is one that has been placed into Sony's streaming availability server. If it's not, you'll have to download it again. Elysium was a movie that was a freebie on the X-1 when you opened your account, so I'm assuming Sony has made it streamable content to satisfy previous owners by giving them something right off the bat. There are pre-loaded clips that won't need downloaded on the HDD, just odd they decided not to make it clear which one's they are . ..

I doubt that Sony is streaming anything. Sony has a download service not a streaming one like Netflix. I think the player downloads movies on its own just waiting for you to purchase it.
Elysium may be one of those pre downloaded but not free - except in Matt's case since he already owned it.
post #157 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
I doubt that Sony is streaming anything. Sony has a download service not a streaming one like Netflix. I think the player downloads movies on its own just waiting for you to purchase it.
Elysium may be one of those pre downloaded but not free - except in Matt's case since he already owned it.
See above edit.... I can stream my previous purchase of Spiderman, but will have to download Lawrence of Arabia. .

There's not enough space for the player to guess what content to download, I believe it can hold 20 movies without adding an external drive.

post #158 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
See above edit.... I can stream my previous purchase of Spiderman, but will have to download Lawrence of Arabia. .

There's not enough space for the player to guess what content to download, I believe it can hold 20 movies without adding an external drive.

Simple test.

Disconnect your network while playing content and you will see that it continues to play.
Mdjones9137 likes this.
post #159 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How many hours or days have you had your player connected to your Sony account? I bet the minute you hooked it up it started downloading your content.

Per the Sony site the drive holds 200 movies

Prepare for more 4K entertainment than ever, all in one box1. Now you can download over 200 4K movies from Video Unlimited 4K and stream Netflix in 4K Ultra HD2. It even comes pre-loaded with 50 free titles to showcase the true beauty of 4K detail. A built-in, 1TB hard drive4 also stores videos from your 4K camcorder3 and it features TRILUMINOS technology for the widest color spectrum available6.

Last edited by Mdjones9137; 07-18-2014 at 05:25 PM.
post #160 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400MHz MAN View Post
Simple test.

Disconnect your network while playing content and you will see that it continues to play.
Example, as requested I disconnected the player from the network while watching Spiderman, as a result I now have an error message "The network appears to be down. Is the network set up correctly" message on my screen. ..

post #161 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I love a good mystery.
Mdjones9137 likes this.
post #162 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
As did I, which is why it was available to stream...

Not to beat a dead horse, but if you go to 4K unlimited it shows you what content is available to rent/buy and watch immediately (stream) and what has to be downloaded.

post #163 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
As did I, which is why it was available to stream...

Not to beat a dead horse, but if you go to 4K unlimited it shows you what content is available to rent/buy and watch immediately (stream) and what has to be downloaded.

This is from the manual
The 4K Media Player offers users the option to automatically download new titles when they are released. If you choose this option, you will be able to play those titles from the local storage.

So the player is downloading things on its own just waiting for you to purchase them.

If by stream you mean play from the hard drive then yes. But stream is really how Netflix works not the 4k media player
post #164 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This is from the manual
The 4K Media Player offers users the option to automatically download new titles when they are released. If you choose this option, you will be able to play those titles from the local storage.

So the player is downloading things on its own just waiting for you to purchase them.

If by stream you mean play from the hard drive then yes. But stream is really how Netflix works not the 4k media player
If you go to the "Featured 4K Videos" section for example, there are currently 4 titles you can purchase and immediately play aka stream, those being American Hustle, Captain Phillips, Breaking Bad and The Amazing Spiderman. .. The other titles there have to be downloaded prior to playing.. Ghostbusters 1&2, About Last Night, The Monuments Men, Masters of Sex and Blacklist. ...Is it possible they've preloaded the ones available to watch immediately? I guess.. only way to know would be to try and root it to see what's on the hard drive. ..

Edit: On that note, I just don't see them preloading the HDD with material (like full feature movies), if you could indeed root the device and and figure out how to copy, move or just play those titles that were preloaded, Sony would look foolish. I know it was done on the X-1, but you were being given those titles as advertised. ....

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 07-18-2014 at 06:12 PM.
post #165 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you go to the "Featured 4K Videos" section for example, there are currently 4 titles you can purchase and immediately play aka stream, those being American Hustle, Captain Phillips, Breaking Bad and The Amazing Spiderman. .. The other titles there have to be downloaded prior to playing.. Ghostbusters 1&2, About Last Night, The Monuments Men, Masters of Sex and Blacklist. ...Is it possible they've preloaded the ones available to watch immediately? I guess.. only way to know would be to try and root it to see what's on the hard drive. ..

How long has the player been hooked up to your network?
Those 4 titles have to be on your hard drive - there is no streaming with the Sony service. You are playing them from the drive just like a DVR would.
One of the issues with streaming Netflix is potential loss of 4K quality. That is one of the benefits of the Sony download service. If it is streaming anything i would be asking for a refund.
post #166 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello fellow owners,

I can't seem to get past about 15MB download speed with my player. I've tested the connection with a laptop and it easily hits 50MB. Do I need to tweak something in my router or am I missing something in the X10 config (yes, I made sure it was set to 'Unlimited')?
post #167 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
How long has the player been hooked up to your network?
Those 4 titles have to be on your hard drive - there is no streaming with the Sony service. You are playing them from the drive just like a DVR would.
One of the issues with streaming Netflix is potential loss of 4K quality. That is one of the benefits of the Sony download service. If it is streaming anything i would be asking for a refund.
Could very well be, but they're available as soon as you connect your X-10. ..You'll see, as soon as you get it hooked up pick one and play Is there anything stating Sony isn't streaming 4K content? Just because it's being marketed as a download service doesn't mean you can't watch it while it's downloading?. .. Anyway, hopefully we'll find an answer :beer:

post #168 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

I'd also like to know what's been allocated for use on the HDD, 250gb of what? Free clips. ..

Assuming the average size of a 4k movie is approximately 100+ gb, there's no way those movies are on my HDD. ..

Spiderman
Elysium
Captain Phillips
American Hustle
Breaking Bad

I would be well over 250gb, that's not even taking the clips into account. .

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 07-18-2014 at 06:49 PM.
post #169 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Could very well be, but they're available as soon as you connect your X-10. ..You'll see, as soon as you get it hooked up pick one and play Is there anything stating Sony isn't streaming 4K content? Just because it's being marketed as a download service doesn't mean you can't watch it while it's downloading?. .. Anyway, hopefully we'll find an answer :beer:

The more popular ones are available. I think if a new title was released tomorrow it would automatically download and an older one that you had not purchased would get deleted. I doubt that you can watch it until its downloaded completely. I think the download speed is 4 times as long as the movie so you would quickly run out of movie available on the hard drive.
post #170 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The more popular ones are available. I think if a new title was released tomorrow it would automatically download and an older one that you had not purchased would get deleted. I doubt that you can watch it until its downloaded completely. I think the download speed is 4 times as long as the movie so you would quickly run out of movie available on the hard drive.
See post above ^

I give up, I completely agree with what you're saying however. ..Maybe I'm just a little buzzed...maybe they're there, maybe they're not. ..But I don't have the option to delete anything that's been downloaded, so I guess that opens up a whole other can of worms. ..lol

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 07-18-2014 at 06:59 PM.
post #171 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'd also like to know what's been allocated for use on the HDD, 250gb of what? Free clips. ..

Assuming the average size of a 4k movie is approximately 100+ gb, there's no way those movies are on my HDD. ..

Spiderman
Elysium
Captain Phillips
American Hustle
Breaking Bad

I would be well over 250gb, that's not even taking the clips into account. .

From Sony

1 Terabytes equals approximately 1000 Gigabytes. Not all memory is user accessible. Storage of 20 movies is based on average movie file size of approximately 38 GB per movie. Individual movie and video file sizes vary.

So they are using compression on the drive - which may be why they only have a 1TB drive in this years model.

Last edited by Mdjones9137; 07-18-2014 at 07:06 PM.
post #172 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
From Sony

1 Terabytes equals approximately 1000 Gigabytes. Not all memory is user accessible. Storage of 20 movies is based on average movie file size of approximately 38 GB per movie. Individual movie and video file sizes vary.
Okay, that makes more sense. .Google gave me 100gb a movie (probably pre-compression). ..So maybe those titles are preloaded, swapped out...??? Entirely possible......

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 07-18-2014 at 07:09 PM.
post #173 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiken View Post
Hello fellow owners,

I can't seem to get past about 15MB download speed with my player. I've tested the connection with a laptop and it easily hits 50MB. Do I need to tweak something in my router or am I missing something in the X10 config (yes, I made sure it was set to 'Unlimited')?
In the same boat except I don't know what my speed seems to be; I know my Netflix won't get to 2160, it did initially when watching the Smurfs 2; but now it maxes out at 1080; How do I know what speed I am getting with my player; I have 75/35 Fios connection that tests out on speedtest.net from my laptop
post #174 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperk99 View Post
In the same boat except I don't know what my speed seems to be; I know my Netflix won't get to 2160, it did initially when watching the Smurfs 2; but now it maxes out at 1080; How do I know what speed I am getting with my player; I have 75/35 Fios connection that tests out on speedtest.net from my laptop
Way to many variables involved with Internet connections. You could run a TRACERT to Netflix ip (if you know it), maybe you're hitting a bad node? Or just run one to Google to see what it looks like...If that looks okay, it's probably a Netflix issue..Might just be a simple case of to many people, not enough bandwidth in your area. ..?

As far as seeing your speeds, you wont be able to tell unless your downloading from Sony (via the X-10 anyway). ..you'd have to look on a pc connected to your network...

But to see download speeds from Sony, go to my 4k videos- settings. ..

post #175 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Just for the hell of it I signed up for Netflix. ...free month. I'm not to familiar with it, but it's not just you. I have a gigabit connection and don't get past super HD on house of cards. ... Netflix is crap...

post #176 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Way to many variables involved with Internet connections. You could run a TRACERT to Netflix ip (if you know it), maybe you're hitting a bad node? Or just run one to Google to see what it looks like...If that looks okay, it's probably a Netflix issue..Might just be a simple case of to many people, not enough bandwidth in your area. ..?

As far as seeing your speeds, you wont be able to tell unless your downloading from Sony (via the X-10 anyway). ..you'd have to look on a pc connected to your network...

But to see download speeds from Sony, go to my 4k videos- settings. ..

OK so I am getting 40.8 Mbps when downloading from Sony; so it must be a netflix issue; would you agree
post #177 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperk99 View Post
OK so I am getting 40.8 Mbps when downloading from Sony; so it must be a netflix issue; would you agree

See above ^

Only 1080 HD on Breaking Bad
post #178 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
House of cards 2160p

I have no issues getting House of Cards to display 2160 HD. I am using a wired connection and have Xfinity cable internet. I tried using wifi instead to see if it had any issues with Netflix 4K and got the same results. Same with Breaking Bad thank goodness.
Mdjones9137 likes this.
post #179 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Two things that I have read here puzzle me a bit:

- is it true that the 10 movies that were free with the early purchase of the X1 will be lost when moving to the X10? that would be the sort of stuff that really annoys early adopters if true

- what is it with the over 200 4k movies? Sound like an error to me as there were far fewer movies (less than 100) only a few weeks ago?

I am also looking forward to read if there are any improvements in picture and/or sound quality over the X1.
post #180 of 2741 Old 07-18-2014, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

I just started episode 4 of season 1 (Breaking Bad) finally hit 2160 HD...So obviously it's a saturation thing with Netflix..

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
fmp-x10
Gear in this thread - fmp-x10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page