Sony FMP-X10 owners thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming > Sony FMP-X10 owners thread

Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

thalazy's Avatar thalazy
07:44 PM Liked: 12
post #211 of 1847
07-19-2014 | Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post
Thanks, have you tried downloading Bad Teacher to the internal harddrive of the X10 to see if you have to really rebuy it?
Maybe it is only necessary to download it again?

Yes I think they are counting just about anything to make it to 200!
No. Every time I click on buy it shows the full amount and I do not want to buy them.
Traylorc's Avatar Traylorc
07:48 PM Liked: 22
post #212 of 1847
07-19-2014 | Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke02 View Post
As an aside, I really wish sony would realize their proprietary approach to things hurts everybody, including them. Unfortunately, they were rewarded with blu-ray since they "won" but not that many people buy blu-rays, partially because the format war kept people on the sidelines and they got used to it. They've killed themselves by trying to capture the whole market rather than accept a part of a much broader market. Minidisc, sacd, atrac vs mp3, and now potentially 4k. It's like they want to force people into valuing their conglomerate rather than accept what it is. A growing 4k market would benefit the whole market, particularly the first movers. So, encourage people rather than create walled gardens....

My fear with the x10 is that they will limit additional services like amazon because it could cannibalize sales from their exorbitantly prices movie rentals and purchases. We then will have paid $500 for the right to overpay for Sony's movies.

/rant
I respect your opinion Duke, but how are you assessing that Sony has "killed themselves"? Are you referencing specific financial results, are you referencing an article from a Market Analyst, are you referencing an admission from Sony Management of substandard financial results, or is this just your assessment of the situation?

Secondly, if Samsung or Panasonic were the first to market with a 4K player....do you think they would have adopted a proprietary approach or would they have simply manufactured universal media players compatible with all TVs? Think about how competitive Samsung has been with Apple in the Smartphone market...do you envision a time that Samsung creates anything that would help Apple sell more iphones? If Samsung had been the first to introduce a 4K media player, I'm of the opinion it would have been a proprietary player.

I get your overall point...and I can't say I totally disagree with you. But there is a fine line between establishing a competitive advantage and altruistically trying to help the whole market. At the end of the day, if the 4K market takes off, somebody has to be the market leader. If the 4K market does explode and Sony becomes the market leader, every Market Analyst on the planet will write multiple articles explaining how Sony's introduction of their proprietary player was a brilliant strategic move.

Lastly...just my humble opinion...all of us know the risks of being early adopters. So if the X10 bombs and 4K content never catches on, we have no one to blame but ourselves. Nobody put a gun to our heads and forced us to purchase 4K TVs & media players or overpay for Sony's movies.

At the end of the day...I'm not going worry about Sony's business decision regarding the X10. Life is too short...I'm having a blast with my 900a, X10, and all the 4K and 3D goodness. If things don't work out, I will move on to the next shiny toy...8K or 16K TVs.
Duke02
08:41 PM Liked: 9
post #213 of 1847
07-19-2014 | Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traylorc View Post
I respect your opinion Duke, but how are you assessing that Sony has "killed themselves"? Are you referencing specific financial results, are you referencing an article from a Market Analyst, are you referencing an admission from Sony Management of substandard financial results, or is this just your assessment of the situation?

Secondly, if Samsung or Panasonic were the first to market with a 4K player....do you think they would have adopted a proprietary approach or would they have simply manufactured universal media players compatible with all TVs? Think about how competitive Samsung has been with Apple in the Smartphone market...do you envision a time that Samsung creates anything that would help Apple sell more iphones? If Samsung had been the first to introduce a 4K media player, I'm of the opinion it would have been a proprietary player.

I get your overall point...and I can't say I totally disagree with you. But there is a fine line between establishing a competitive advantage and altruistically trying to help the whole market. At the end of the day, if the 4K market takes off, somebody has to be the market leader. If the 4K market does explode and Sony becomes the market leader, every Market Analyst on the planet will write multiple articles explaining how Sony's introduction of their proprietary player was a brilliant strategic move.

Lastly...just my humble opinion...all of us know the risks of being early adopters. So if the X10 bombs and 4K content never catches on, we have no one to blame but ourselves. Nobody put a gun to our heads and forced us to purchase 4K TVs & media players or overpay for Sony's movies.

At the end of the day...I'm not going worry about Sony's business decision regarding the X10. Life is too short...I'm having a blast with my 900a, X10, and all the 4K and 3D goodness. If things don't work out, I will move on to the next shiny toy...8K or 16K TVs.

Traylorc, what a great post. And I'm not being snarky or sarcastic, I mean great - some great points. What I meant by killing themselves is that we've seen Sony do this before. Sony was the best positioned company to make the next Walkman, but they were so myopic in serving their content side and wanting to have their own content delivery mechanism that they completely missed it. They wanted to push atrac instead of mp3 and force people to use their store. Apple did something similar but they offered a compelling reason to do so and didn't limit other peoples content. Sony got in a format war over sacd/dvda and bluray/hddvd and it drove most people away. Now, at the end of the day, it still might have been the best financial solution, but I don't think it was. Nobody wanted another Betamax, so they sat on the sideline and never came back

Sony has some great content, but not enough to command the whole market. By making their content for sony tv's only, they're opening themselves to the risk that other studios align themselves with other manufacturers and we have another content war. I fully realize and embrace the fact that by being an early adopter, I am going to purchase some stuff that'll be obsolete and pay more for it, but format wars don't seem to advance technology or adoption. Content is the issue with 4k, and fiefdom access will drive consumers away.
Traylorc's Avatar Traylorc
09:19 PM Liked: 22
post #214 of 1847
07-19-2014 | Posts: 394
Quote:
Traylorc, what a great post. And I'm not being snarky or sarcastic, I mean great - some great points. What I meant by killing themselves is that we've seen Sony do this before. Sony was the best positioned company to make the next Walkman, but they were so myopic in serving their content side and wanting to have their own content delivery mechanism that they completely missed it. They wanted to push atrac instead of mo3 and force people to use their store. Apple did something similar but they offered a compelling reason to do so and didn't limit other peoples content. Sony got in a format war over sacd/dvda and bluray/hddvd and it drove most people away. Now, at the end of the day, it still might have been the best financial solution, but I don't think it was. Nobody wanted another Betamax, so they sat on the sideline and never came back

Sony has some great content, but not enough to command the whole market. By making their content for Sony tv's only, they're opening themselves to the risk that other studios align themselves with other manufacturers and we have another content war. I fully realize and embrace the fact that by being an early adopter, I am going to purchase some stuff that'll be obsolete and pay more for it, but format wars don't seem to advance technology or adoption. Content is the issue with 4k, and fiefdom access will drive consumers away.
Duke...thank you for the kind words, and thanks for keeping things civil. You do make some valid points.

The more I think about this...the more I can see your point of view. Let's say Sony did make their media player available to everyone. As you mentioned, it does provide greater access to 4K content for the early adopters. Sony still benefits, because they manufactured the players and they get all the sales revenues. Additionally, Sony could adopt a certain pricing structure on 4K content for customers who purchased Sony 4K sets vs non-Sony customers. Customers who purchased and registered their 4K sets would receive discounted pricing on their 4K content. A discounted pricing structure might provide an incentive for customers to buy Sony 4K sets while simultaneously making 4K content available to more early adopters.
gdfein's Avatar gdfein
09:41 PM Liked: 16
post #215 of 1847
07-19-2014 | Posts: 129
Received my X10 Friday evening and got it setup today. Connected fine to my 600ES, and software update prompt right away. Setup SEN account easily.

Started with some of the 4K free content. Looks nice, but not being able to A/B with the same content from BRD upscaled, it was hard to "feel" the 4K improvement I was hoping to see.

Switched to 4K Netflix for HoC Sn2, Ep1, and watched the whole episode and never hit more than 1080 HD. I have ATT Uverse internet and Speedtest.net showed I was getting 50MPS down while not being able to achieve 4K Netflix. I tried Breaking Bad and same thing...maxed at 1080 HD and it took 10min to even reach that speed.

The video costs are surprisingly expensive to me in relation to BRD...and BRD offers superior audio.

I'll be watching my 30 day window carefully but me thinks this is getting returned unless I can get better results.
bmock17's Avatar bmock17
10:49 PM Liked: 10
post #216 of 1847
07-19-2014 | Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmock17 View Post
Thanks for the info, I am going to give these adapters a try. One question though, would this be considered a wireless connection still or do I have to change my internet settings on the device?
Hopefully someone can help me. I bought the above Ethernet adapters hoping it would help me with download speed and netflix streaming with the fmp-x10. Whenever I stream anything in 4k it constantly fluctuates between 1080p, 4k, and occasionally goes down to 720 and 480 when I press the display button, but the picture doesn't appear to suffer. When I test my download speed with a separate app it comes in around 20-21mps. However, when I go into the settings on this device my download speed never shows any higher than 2.4 mps?? And that is even with these new adapters. I have been trying to figure things out with this and at one point I think it reset itself because it went back to the initial 4k load up screen when I powered on the unit for the first time and then went to a black screen and had a little rotating box in the middle of it for a few seconds.

I downloaded the preview for Spider-Man the other night and took over an hour to download the 4 minute clip.

Does it sound like there is something wrong with mine? Does anyone have any suggestions I can try? I am getting pretty frustrated and I really don't understand why it keeps showing my download speed between 2 and 2.4 mps and why when streaming the resolution keeps changing, according to the display.
bmock17's Avatar bmock17
10:52 PM Liked: 10
post #217 of 1847
07-19-2014 | Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
I downloaded the new spiderman movie clip that is 4 mins long in under 20 min...so yeah, it sounds like your internet speed is just a little shy.

Are you wired or wireless? That can make a huge impact. I am wireless, but just to test, I used a cable to test the speed again, and I was able to download another clip even faster. If you are wireless see if you run a cable to go wired. Another solution is those power inline adapters. They come in a pair of 2, they plug into a wall outlet and you run a cable from the router to one of the adapters. You then plug the second adapter into a wall outlet near where you need it and you run a cable from that adapter to the media player. It transmits the data through the wall socket. It works really well and better than using Wi-Fi/wireless. Here is link to one of them from best buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-...0002&cp=1&lp=1
Sorry for the second post, above is the link to the adapters I was talking about.
vinodk's Avatar vinodk
11:52 PM Liked: 19
post #218 of 1847
07-19-2014 | Posts: 2,249
I am not sure what these adapters are rated at but you might need adapters with Gigabit ethernet connection. I have TP link adapters with Gigabit ethernet connection for my X1 & the clips download in a reasonable amount of time for 4k content.
Oliver Klohs's Avatar Oliver Klohs
12:07 AM Liked: 12
post #219 of 1847
07-20-2014 | Posts: 2,537
Quote:
Traylorc, what a great post. And I'm not being snarky or sarcastic, I mean great - some great points. What I meant by killing themselves is that we've seen Sony do this before. Sony was the best positioned company to make the next Walkman, but they were so myopic in serving their content side and wanting to have their own content delivery mechanism that they completely missed it. They wanted to push atrac instead of mp3 and force people to use their store. Apple did something similar but they offered a compelling reason to do so and didn't limit other peoples content. Sony got in a format war over sacd/dvda and bluray/hddvd and it drove most people away. Now, at the end of the day, it still might have been the best financial solution, but I don't think it was. Nobody wanted another Betamax, so they sat on the sideline and never came back

Sony has some great content, but not enough to command the whole market. By making their content for sony tv's only, they're opening themselves to the risk that other studios align themselves with other manufacturers and we have another content war. I fully realize and embrace the fact that by being an early adopter, I am going to purchase some stuff that'll be obsolete and pay more for it, but format wars don't seem to advance technology or adoption. Content is the issue with 4k, and fiefdom access will drive consumers away.
Both the X1 and X10 are stopgap solutions in order for the customers to be able to enjoy some 4k content with their Sony TV's. Yes it is proprietary but that is more a reflection of talks about 4k Blu-rays and 4k standards in general being dragged out seemingly forever. I guess that at some point the Sony hardware division just turned to the entertainment division and demanded content asap - the perks of having a movie studio within the company
It looks as if other studios may want to go to more open platforms like amazon streaming and netflix for now as they do not really have an incentive to go the route that Sony pictures went - they are not exactly doing this for the huge profits...
HDfruitcake's Avatar HDfruitcake
05:12 AM Liked: 13
post #220 of 1847
07-20-2014 | Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post
I guess that at some point the Sony hardware division just turned to the entertainment division and demanded content asap - the perks of having a movie studio within the company

just a shame Sonys output is the weakest of all the studios. The standard video unlimited services movie catalogue is substantially better, why isn't that content mirrored on the 4k service?

the x1/x10 needs a rebrand, something along the lines of.... Limited 4K Video Service
LeeSoFl's Avatar LeeSoFl
05:32 AM Liked: 209
post #221 of 1847
07-20-2014 | Posts: 931
I'm trying to help someone online with the 65/900A and the X10 who claims they're not able to get to picture and sound adjustments when playing an X10 selection.

He said "When the unt is connected to the TV, you CANNOT change any of the picture settings for that HDMI port. The TV remote won't bring up the picture settings menu on the TV like I can do when my Blu-Ray is connected. So the only way to chnage them is to connect some other device to that port, set your picture settings and then hook the media player back up hoping the setting for the other device will work to give the same picture result. This is a major design flaw. The whole point of being able to change picture settings per HDMI port is because each output may need different tweaks to the settings. Also, no matter what settings you do set, it will always force you to use Cinema Scene Select setting."

Would someone go through the keystrokes you use to adjust picture settings with X10?

Thanks
Oliver Klohs's Avatar Oliver Klohs
06:18 AM Liked: 12
post #222 of 1847
07-20-2014 | Posts: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfruitcake View Post
just a shame Sonys output is the weakest of all the studios. The standard video unlimited services movie catalogue is substantially better, why isn't that content mirrored on the 4k service?
For 4k content Sony is probably second only to Warner and this is what counts. Guess the video unlimited service is not mirrored because most of it is not 4k.
It still would be nice to just have all the content in one device though, 4k or not. But only with the option to filter for different resolutions!

Quote:
the x1/x10 needs a rebrand, something along the lines of.... Limited 4K Video Service
LOL! I guess it is typical marketing hyperbole - it is so common these days that I do not even notice it anymore
dreaux's Avatar dreaux
09:26 AM Liked: 44
post #223 of 1847
07-20-2014 | Posts: 1,301
Hooked up my X10 yesterday and everything worked well except I still can't get audio out of HDMI 2 on the player but neither could I get it out of the X1. Beginning to think it is my AVR Onkyo NR3010, so I have gone back to optical surround out ot the set. Had to tell the X10 I was not using an AVR so audio could come out of optical.

Watched some movie previews and they looked good but not really looking like 4K but it's so contingent on how the movie was made. Although "Monuments Men" looked quite good, very near 4K.

I watched some of the free shorts and most looked terrific, definitely 4K "Tears of Steel" and Jimmy Kimmel live" were beautiful. Btw I am hooked up hard wired with unlimited setting on the X10. I have 50Mbps.
Perhaps the X10 detected that and selected unlimited' by its self. I am thinking going wireless and trying to download or stream 4K maybe asking for trouble,

What I am really impressed with is Netflix. Watched some of 'House of Cards' season 2 and no question it was 4K, the scenes of D.C. are razor sharp. 'Breaking Bad' last season looked just as good. What I didn't know is they have a section with just 4K videos that after logging in Netflix takes me right to that selection. They had a number of shorts in 4k as well as about 4 or so 4K movies including 'Ghostbusters' and 'The Smurfs. The 'Smurfs' movie looked most definitely 4K, quite a bit better than my Oppo blu-ray can play.

Over all I am pleased, despite the audio problem which I will look into further. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Netflix had set up a section for 4K videos. I am guessing but I think there were like 8 videos.
Geoff D's Avatar Geoff D
01:15 PM Liked: 250
post #224 of 1847
07-20-2014 | Posts: 2,486
Some good points about Sony and their penchant for proprietary formats. It's because they're one of the few manufacturers which creates content as well, so they've pushed format after format hoping to do what Apple did and catch lightning in a bottle. The trouble is that they keep getting rebuffed by the buying public and you'd think that they'd learnt their lesson with Minidisc, SACD, Memory Stick etc, but now they're pulling the same **** with 4K. Hell, they won't even migrate the service across to the PS4 because that would then undercut their $700 4K streamers by several hundred dollars.

I just hope this 4K revolution pans out for them, because if it doesn't then it's bye-bye Sony I think, at least from a TV point of view.
HDfruitcake's Avatar HDfruitcake
03:40 PM Liked: 13
post #225 of 1847
07-20-2014 | Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I just hope this 4K revolution pans out for them, because if it doesn't then it's bye-bye Sony I think, at least from a TV point of view.

its gona be tough, I cant think of 1 killer title in the Sony camp. Every other studio has far better content They need multi studio support and to break away from Sony only displays.
Wouldn't other studios like a piece of the $30 per 4k title pie? If Bluray was tied to Sony only displays it would have been dead and buried shortly after launch.
Mdjones9137's Avatar Mdjones9137
03:59 PM Liked: 117
post #226 of 1847
07-20-2014 | Posts: 448
Quote:
its gona be tough, I cant think of 1 killer title in the Sony camp. Every other studio has far better content They need multi studio support and to break away from Sony only displays.
Wouldn't other studios like a piece of the $30 per 4k title pie? If Bluray was tied to Sony only displays it would have been dead and buried shortly after launch.
Well what about this wonderful news?
Sony Acquires 'Tupperware Unsealed' for Sandra Bullock to Star in.
This movie in 4K may be just what we have all been waiting for - super sharp leftover plastic containers.

wattheF's Avatar wattheF
07:06 PM Liked: 131
post #227 of 1847
07-20-2014 | Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by luism2008 View Post
I got mine today as well

-So far the Netflix Cards is beautiful (saw season two part 1)..

-Those with nettflix.. watch the series Moving Art .. they look amazing..

-The back usb is for Sonys 4k Hardrive extension to save 4k sony downloaded movies.

- the front is for user usb 4k movies..and only ( so far in testing ) only mp4's.. It doesn't do mkv.

-

also the best example of a well made 4k is from one of the freebies on the 4k service from sony,, MicroWorlds Butterflies.. BEautiful!!
Ok so you say Netflix looks beautiful in 4K but I can't imagine having extra pixels improves on all the issues inherent with streaming such as compression artifacts, banding, etc...does it???
luism2008's Avatar luism2008
07:21 PM Liked: 10
post #228 of 1847
07-20-2014 | Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post
Ok so you say Netflix looks beautiful in 4K but I can't imagine having extra pixels improves on all the issues inherent with streaming such as compression artifacts, banding, etc...does it???
I think its the whole package... the 4k movie itself is primary.. if its a badly produced 4k then it will just be bad..

Cards on netflix looks really good.. specially the opening credits.. (like another member mentioned )

Smurfs looks great as well.. tho I cant see myself buying upgraded 4K movies.. u can't create whats not there..

The best example as far as color and clartity is the freebie that comes with it.. some butterfly short.. that looks beautiful..
It shows color and clarity..

I did go back and see and there showed some banding issues in a cards dark scene.. at 4K.. but then I place it on my slow connection of 23 meg spurts from comcast..

Still all in all good
wattheF's Avatar wattheF
07:29 PM Liked: 131
post #229 of 1847
07-20-2014 | Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by luism2008 View Post
I think its the whole package... the 4k movie itself is primary.. if its a badly produced 4k then it will just be bad..

Cards on netflix looks really good.. specially the opening credits.. (like another member mentioned )

Smurfs looks great as well.. tho I cant see myself buying upgraded 4K movies.. u can't create whats not there..

The best example as far as color and clartity is the freebie that comes with it.. some butterfly short.. that looks beautiful..
It shows color and clarity..

I did go back and see and there showed some banding issues in a cards dark scene.. at 4K.. but then I place it on my slow connection of 23 meg spurts from comcast..

Still all in all good
Ok thanks. I will stick with my Blurays for now.
Grubs92's Avatar Grubs92
11:39 PM Liked: 18
post #230 of 1847
07-20-2014 | Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post
Ok thanks. I will stick with my Blurays for now.
Anyone know when best buy will get these in?
Renzo12
07:43 AM Liked: 5
post #231 of 1847
07-21-2014 | Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
I'm trying to help someone online with the 65/900A and the X10 who claims they're not able to get to picture and sound adjustments when playing an X10 selection.

He said "When the unt is connected to the TV, you CANNOT change any of the picture settings for that HDMI port. The TV remote won't bring up the picture settings menu on the TV like I can do when my Blu-Ray is connected. So the only way to chnage them is to connect some other device to that port, set your picture settings and then hook the media player back up hoping the setting for the other device will work to give the same picture result. This is a major design flaw. The whole point of being able to change picture settings per HDMI port is because each output may need different tweaks to the settings. Also, no matter what settings you do set, it will always force you to use Cinema Scene Select setting."

Would someone go through the keystrokes you use to adjust picture settings with X10?

Thanks
I have the 55x900A and I have no problem using Options on my television remote to bring up and change picture settings while the X10 is operating on Input 4. I had heard it would be an issue, but it isn't. The Settings come up regardless of which content is displayed: Netflix, 4K library, or the main menu. I wonder if people with issues have a specific model build, or if the HDMI cable being high-speed makes any difference. No clue, just speculating.
Mattopotamus's Avatar Mattopotamus
07:45 AM Liked: 273
post #232 of 1847
07-21-2014 | Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo12 View Post
I have the 55x900A and I have no problem using Options on my television remote to bring up and change picture settings while the X10 is operating on Input 4. I had heard it would be an issue, but it isn't. The Settings come up regardless of which content is displayed: Netflix, 4K library, or the main menu. I wonder if people with issues have a specific model build, or if the HDMI cable being high-speed makes any difference. No clue, just speculating.
I have the 65" and it works the exact same way.
LeeSoFl's Avatar LeeSoFl
07:48 AM Liked: 209
post #233 of 1847
07-21-2014 | Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo12 View Post
Thanks for the info. I was trying to help someone online, and suggested multiple plans of attack. There was a communication problem and in the end, the person said they were returning the X10 because they weren't impressed by the overall performance.

I have the X1 that came with 10 feature films and am getting the impression that they cannot be deleted from the X1 and re-downloaded to the X10 as part of my membership in the Sony entertainment network. Do you think they're going to want the 3 free Blurays back too?
Ramzal's Avatar Ramzal
08:09 AM Liked: 15
post #234 of 1847
07-21-2014 | Posts: 29
I've had my FMP-X10 for a few days now (delivered on the 16th). Some of my views might have been already addressed in this thread, but I'm going to list them anyway.

I also own an X-1. The X10 is hooked up to a XBR65x900b

Firstly, the packaging and overall appearance is much better than appealing in my entertainment stand than The Tron Disk X1. I have it connected to HDMI 2 on my TV, and Audio Out to my Denon AVR-X4000.

I purchased about 10 movies on the player when I got it, and they just appear in the list with no sorting or anything. Just tossed in at random. I own a Blu-ray disc collection with over 500 titles in it, all alphabetized on a shelving unit. Not being able to alphabetize my content on the player is a pretty big deal to me.

Next, the download speed. Oh man is it bad. I'm hardwired on a 105mbps connection, to a gigabit switch. I've never downloaded faster than 13mbps. The Monuments Men, took literally all day. I've tried wireless as well, as that was recommended in another thread. That topped out at 2.1mbps. For a piece of cutting edge technology, this is abysmal and inexcusable.

I purchased a 5TB external drive to hook up to the X10. Upon formatting it, it only displayed 1TB usable. I tried to call Sony on this issue, but after waiting on hold for 45 minutes, the guy I spoke to in the media player department transferred me to the vaio department as soon as he heard the word "terabyte". After explaining my case to the vaio guy, he wanted to transfer me back to the media player department. At which point I hung up. I'm not trying to spend two hours on the phone. I eventually ended up doing my own research, and apparently the max drive size is 4TB. So, I will buy a 4TB drive and try that.

The picture quality is excellent. Like, really excellent. However, after watching "This Is The End", my friend came over to watch "Wolf of Wall Street" on Blu-ray. The PQ was just as good, maybe with a slight edge to the 4K player.
I wouldn't take that as a negative towards the player, but a testament to just how good the 4K X-reality Pro upscaler actually is. My theater seating is 5'10" from the screen.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the product and I'll continue to buy more content on it. I've purchased pretty much every film on the player I'd like to own, so I'm hoping new movies and shows get release quickly and frequently.

If any of you have any questions, ask away!
08:21 AM Liked: 273
post #235 of 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzal View Post
I've had my FMP-X10 for a few days now (delivered on the 16th). Some of my views might have been already addressed in this thread, but I'm going to list them anyway.

Firstly, the packaging and overall appearance is much better than appealing in my entertainment stand than The Tron Disk X1. I have it connected to HDMI 2 on my TV, and Audio Out to my Denon AVR-X4000.

I don't understand why some movies stream and some movies download. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason as to which film will do what. I'd love to be able to download, or stream them all. I really enjoy uniformity.

I purchased about 10 movies on the player when I got it, and they just appear in the list with no sorting or anything. Just tossed in at random. I own a Blu-ray disc collection with over 500 titles in it, all alphabetized on a shelving unit. Not being able to alphabetize my content on the player is a pretty big deal to me.

Next, the download speed. Oh man is it bad. I'm hardwired on a 105mbps connection, to a gigabit switch. I've never downloaded faster than 13mbps. The Monuments Men, took literally all day. I've tried wireless as well, as that was recommended in another thread. That topped out at 2.1mbps. For a piece of cutting edge technology, this is abysmal and inexcusable.

The movies that do stream play excellent, with zero buffering.

I purchased a 5TB external drive to hook up to the X10. Upon formatting it, it only displayed 1TB usable. I tried to call Sony on this issue, but after waiting on hold for 45 minutes, the guy I spoke to in the media player department transferred me to the vaio department as soon as he heard the word "terabyte". After explaining my case to the vaio guy, he wanted to transfer me back to the media player department. At which point I hung up. I'm not trying to spend two hours on the phone. I eventually ended up doing my own research, and apparently the max drive size is 4TB. So, I will buy a 4TB drive and try that.

The picture quality is excellent. Like, really excellent. However, after watching "This Is The End", my friend came over to watch "Wolf of Wall Street" on Blu-ray. The PQ was just as good, maybe with a slight edge to the 4K player.
I wouldn't take that as a negative towards the player, but a testament to just how good the 4K X-reality Pro upscaler actually is. My theater seating is 5'10" from the screen.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the product and I'll continue to buy more content on it. I've purchased pretty much every film on the player I'd like to own, so I'm hoping new movies and shows get release quickly and frequently.

They are not being streamed. They are preloaded, hence the 230gb of data already used on the device. There is no way to tell what is preloaded, but a lot of the feature films are. If you format your drive, you will have to download those movies and they will not stream. That is why even the free movies do not show until you "fake" download them.

I thought they were being streamed at first. Then I realized the amount of preloaded space on my drive.

I think the download speeds are limited by sony's servers. The first day I was getting about 30mpbs, and it has settled back down to the speeds of the x1.
Ramzal's Avatar Ramzal
08:23 AM Liked: 15
post #236 of 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
They are not being streamed. They are preloaded, hence the 230gb of data already used on the device. There is no way to tell what is preloaded, but a lot of the feature films are. If you format your drive, you will have to download those movies and they will not stream. That is why even the free movies do not show until you "fake" download them.

I think the download speeds are limited by sony's servers. The first day I was getting about 30mpbs, and it has not settled back down to the speeds of the x1.
Oh, good to know! Is there any way to free up space and delete the ones that are pre-loaded that I don't want?
08:26 AM Liked: 273
post #237 of 1847
Quote:
Oh, good to know! Is there any way to free up space and delete the ones that are pre-loaded that I don't want?
It does not look like there is a way to manage the storage with the preloaded content . I think if you were to reformat once you download and delete a movie it will actually remove it and free the space.
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry
08:40 AM Liked: 918
post #238 of 1847
07-21-2014 | Posts: 8,016
Quote:

Strange that you conclude that you are very happy with the X10 because other than its physical appearance, your comments are not very positive. Slow downloads, no sorting, only supports 4TB drives (yet to be verified)....

I keep reading the feedback being posted in this thread, and I have yet to hear a single review that would compel me to pay $500 (or $700) to purchase the player, especially since I got burned by the X1.
Ramzal's Avatar Ramzal
08:48 AM Liked: 15
post #239 of 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Strange that you conclude that you are very happy with the X10 because other than its physical appearance, your comments are not very positive. Slow downloads, no sorting, only supports 4TB drives (yet to be verified)....

I keep reading the feedback being posted in this thread, and I have yet to hear a single review that would compel me to pay $500 (or $700) to purchase the player, especially since I got burned by the X1.
It does have its flaws, for sure. However, I like technology. So, buying it was a no brainer for me. The PQ and SQ are excellent, I felt that was a given, so I listed the shortcomings of it. If you're on the fence about, I'd probably hold off.
08:55 AM Liked: 273
post #240 of 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

If you have an x1, I see zero reason to buy this. By time netflix has serious 4k material, a 3rd party device is sure to be on the market. The only shows/movies worth watching on netflix, IMO, are house of cards and the newest season of breaking bad. The short demos look good, but are just demos. The other movies and seasons of shows look no better than 1080 super HD.
Tags: fmp-x10

Gear in this thread - fmp-x10 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Subscribe to this Thread