AVS Forum banner

Sony FMP-X10 owners thread

Tags
fmp-x10
249K views 4K replies 241 participants last post by  bjorg 
#1 ·
These are going to be at our doors in the next few days, so I figured we needed a thread.

These are a few questions some users had, hopefully they can be answered :)

1. When the audio from the X10 is connected to the AVR, does the audio play flawlessly, in its intended format (Dolby Digital or lossless audio)?

2. When playing one of the several programs from Netflix that is supposed to be in 4K format, does it indeed play in that format? While it is playing, is there any on-screen verification that the stream is 4K? Is there any indication of the network bandwidth being used?

3. Is the player indeed capable of playing video content from a USB stick? 4K content?

4. What free content is the owner of a X10 entitled to?

5. How long does it take a video to download from the SEN 4K site (measure elapsed time, and view length of the film to come up with a download time vs. film length statistic).

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I have a couple...

1. Unlike the X-1, will I be able to run the X-10 through my HDCP 2.2 compliant AVR instead of having to run it directly to the TV for absolutely no reason?

2. Will I be able to connect the X-10 directly to my network "switch", or will I have to go pulling patch cables so the XBR-9XXA/B and X-10 are connected to the same router?

#3 ·
Can I use any number of external hard drives with this? In other words, if one of my drives fills up, can I just start filling up another one and swap drives back and forth (depending on which downloaded movies I wanted to watch)? On the same note, will a portable hard drive work, or just it need a hard drive with a power supply?

#13 ·
I'll have mine tomorrow by 8:00, I also had a FEDEX notice on my door as I just got home from work for a failed delivery attempt of my replacement X-1..... Frickin unbelievable, took them three weeks to ship what is supposed to be a "NEW" player? Any way to tell if it's a recycled unit???

#18 ·
My order still shows "Preparing for Shipment". I ordered Expedited Shipping so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

#23 ·
Oh by the way pre-ordered it from Best Buy but they had no clue as to when or where it was coming from or when it was going to get shipped so I simply went to theSony store in Burbank California and voilà they had plenty so I just bought one canceled my preorder at Best Buy and now I am about to rock in 4K goodness!!!!

#30 ·
You have to launch the 4K app, for the 4K movies. ..You won't see it until you connect the 4K player.

The movies are 24hrs from the first time you hit play. Most of the movies have to be downloaded, a select few can be streamed. Those are usually located in the "featured" section. ..

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Thank you for the explanation!! I thought that most all rentals were like $7 a piece but when I was on their website I saw that some of them were like $13-14 flipp'n dollars for HD versions!!! What the heck is the price range for 4K based on what I saw?
Gerry

#35 ·
Do You Lose Setting Control???

This was posted at Sony comments site and says you're not able to get to picture settings with the X10:

"...I download some of the free content and test it out. Immediately upon hitting play an informational message pops up saying the Scene Select mode on the TV has been changed to Cinema. You have no choice to overide. It will change your TV settings and you can't do anything."

Can a new owner confirm this? If it's the case, that is rather lousy.

#57 ·
This was posted at Sony comments site and says you're not able to get to picture settings with the X10:

"...I download some of the free content and test it out. Immediately upon hitting play an informational message pops up saying the Scene Select mode on the TV has been changed to Cinema. You have no choice to overide. It will change your TV settings and you can't do anything."

Can a new owner confirm this? If it's the case, that is rather lousy.
Thats just a feature of the tv. You change the scene select mode (on the TV) from something other than Auto.

#44 · (Edited)
Well, the young lady I spoke with earlier (2nd call) called me back, gave me the 499 price and free 2 day shipping (as a match for Amazon Prime). I didn't mention any promotion and never ended up having to provide Mattopotamus' order number as proof (thx to him for the offer though). It won't ship today, but it's nice to know it's on the way. I did have to pay sales tax, but I was going to have to with Amazon anyway.

As with many call centers, much of whether you get what you want has to do with whom you get when you call. The first guy was more concerned about his numbers than his charge as someone who assists customers. The second rep was super professional and went the extra distance. OR, it could be that as she said when I spoke to her the first time, they were being flooded with calls for pricematching since so many websites still have the 499 price advertised. Who knows, but what is for sure, that first dude was not going to budge or bother.

So for those that were shot down earlier, I would say give it another try.

edit - I see my shipping is express and above Michaelbeno shows expedited, maybe he got overnight, dunno, either way, looking forward to rocking super happy fun time 4k action clicky clicky go.

#50 ·
Mine finally shipped. Should have it in my grubby paws tomorrow. Can't wait to be underwhelmed!

#51 ·
Can't wait to be underwhelmed too. But it may be fun to play with for a couple of days.
I sure hope the 4K (?) movies look better than those on the X1. The shorts were terrific but the movies looked better on my blu-ray player.

#53 ·
I'm just going to wait for Amazon rather than spending more time with Sony trying to find a friendly sales rep and go through the hassle of reordering and canceling. It's only about a week and I'll feel better ordering from Amazon if it comes down to wanting to return it.

#56 ·
I too was resigned, but with 2 phone calls I received a tracking # for delivery tomorrow for the same price as Amazon. Now, you do have a point about returning it but I assume since I bought through Sony central I can just walk it into a Sony store locally, yes? Doesn't get easier then that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.