1Likes
  • 1 Post By Aryn Ravenlocke

post #1 of 9 Old 07-20-2014, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Ok...What's all the Hulabaloo about Hulu?

I'm sorry, am I missing something?
I was finally able to kick Time Warner to the curb. We have added Ooma for VOIP, and dumped cable TV, keeping only the internet. This is saving us about a hundred bucks a month. I have a couple XBMC solutions for secondary/bedroom TV's, and have signed up for 3 month trial of Hulu Plus via the Xbox One, which I have added to our main SMART TV, in the living room, and 3 Xbox 360's. I also have Amazon Prime on the 360's and the One. (The SMART TV is a 2011 and, of course, the only year that Samsung does not offer, and will not offer Amazon Instant.)
So far, I am underwhelmed. there are very few popular shows, and fewer networks. Even NBC, which is the primary/parent company, does not have America's Got Talent. What gives?
My wife is hooked on TNT's Last Ship, and there is no presence from TNT whatsoever.
I do not plan to go back to Time Warner, (at least not in the foreseeable future). Is there no solution for streaming mainstream network programing via the internet?
Some would say that XBMC with 1Channel and MASHUP, is piracy, but that seems like the only solution at this time. Please correct me if I am wrong. And please point out a different solution. I am not at the point (financially) that I can build a small form/function PC/Nettop for another XBMC box.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-21-2014, 04:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
Some would say that XBMC with 1Channel and MASHUP, is piracy, but that seems like the only solution at this time. Please correct me if I am wrong. And please point out a different solution. I am not at the point (financially) that I can build a small form/function PC/Nettop for another XBMC box.
Technically it is piracy and you do run the risk of getting flagged for it from you ISP, but I can't disagree too that if it works for now...

Unfortunately many broadcasters work hard to make it difficult to get much of the their shows on the internet real-time or within a day or two of original air-date...the primary reason being advertising dollars, they are able to ask a lot more for advertising during the original airtime than they are later on through online streaming sources.

On solution to consider is OTA signals, I dropped DirecTV about year ago and went with a good old roof antenna...couldn't be happier, HDTV has less compression meaning excellent picture and I get all the bigger channels like ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, etc. plus a bunch of small channels and sub channels at no cost. Since TV went to digital signals OTA has dramatically improved since our grandfather's days. Unfortunately you'll still have trouble with cable/sat only channels like TNT.

Last edited by bac522; 07-21-2014 at 04:10 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-21-2014, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
I'm sorry, am I missing something?
I was finally able to kick Time Warner to the curb. We have added Ooma for VOIP, and dumped cable TV, keeping only the internet. This is saving us about a hundred bucks a month. I have a couple XBMC solutions for secondary/bedroom TV's, and have signed up for 3 month trial of Hulu Plus via the Xbox One, which I have added to our main SMART TV, in the living room, and 3 Xbox 360's. I also have Amazon Prime on the 360's and the One. (The SMART TV is a 2011 and, of course, the only year that Samsung does not offer, and will not offer Amazon Instant.)
So far, I am underwhelmed. there are very few popular shows, and fewer networks. Even NBC, which is the primary/parent company, does not have America's Got Talent. What gives?
My wife is hooked on TNT's Last Ship, and there is no presence from TNT whatsoever.
I do not plan to go back to Time Warner, (at least not in the foreseeable future). Is there no solution for streaming mainstream network programing via the internet?
If you got into the cord cutting game thinking you were going to get everything you paid for for free in a nicely wrapped package, you obviously found out that its impossible. Content creators want to get paid, and some of them don't put up their new, still airing shows for free the next day on streaming services. Some will put it on Netflix the next year, some don't.

For the last ship, you have many options. One, buy the season of itunes for $20 and get an apple tv to watch on your tv set. two, go to amazon and buy a season pass for about $3 an episode and watch it on a roku or other supported devices. three, go to tnt.com and watch the episodes that put up there at lower quality for free. four, stealing it off bittorent. five, many other software solutions.

For network shows, go to tvfool.com, enter your address and see what stations you can pick up. Get an appropriate antenna, and enjoy free tv. With my antenna i get all of these channels not counting 10 spanish channels that I also watch:

CBS
CBS+
NBC
COZY TV
FOX
MOVIES!
ABC
LiveWell
MY TV
BOUNCE
CW
THIS
ANTENNA TV
PBS
PBS Kids
6 Other local PBS stations
ION
QUBO
ION LIFE
getTV

Coming next month: ME TV, Escape and Grit.

All of that, paired with a few Tivo DVR's, roku's and apple tv's replaces cable nicely, it just wont be all in a centralized location like you are used to.

Edit: What you can also do, which worked out well for me, is that some cable companies allow you to create sub accounts under the main account just for authenticated streaming apps. Fios and cablevision allows you to create such sub accounts and allow it only as a streaming account. My inlaws made me one for Fios, so i get HBO GO, showtime, history, lifetime, A&E, espn, disney, etc on the roku and apple tv. My father made me one for cablevision, so i get fox sports 1 and cablevision only channels on the iphone and what not.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Aero 1; 07-21-2014 at 10:01 AM.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-21-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Another problem with Hulu+ is that they are running more commercials than they used to but that depends on the network. I don't think the ad sales people at the networks realize that if they start bumping up ad breaks to what they were on broadcast they'll lose audience on places like Hulu. Many could live with the 15 or 30 second ad breaks but when they start running two minutes....

For some shows that aren't on Hulu but are still broadcast (like CBS) you can just go to their website to view episodes or mirror them from the browser to TV. Same with a few cable network channels. Licensing is a funny thing. Some Syfy episodes will often be available a month after air. That depends on how it was licensed. For instance Continuum won't be there because Netflix licensed it and this last season will be available on the 26th.

When you subscribe to cable there are extra charges so the argument that you wind up paying as much for episodes off iTurnes or Amazon really doesn't float. Plus some of the cable network shows will take as much as month hiatus or more and you aren't paying for that time buying episodes. Cable is really only of value to sports fans.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-21-2014, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 68
As many have pointed out, Hulu+ is not the ultimate in cord-cutting services. It is however, probably the most affordable for most new programming from the major networks (except CBS). Hulu+ has far more usefulness from October-May, during the actual "new content season". During that time, the vast majority of shows aired on ABC, WB, Fox, and NBC will be available there the next day. Shows on USA and Scyfy are usually available one month after airing, but must be streamed through a PC and not through an app. Hulu+ also has the entire Criterion Collection available for streaming commercial free as well as an excellent number of Canadian shows. They also have a fairly decent library of the more popular shows from TNT and the like, but those are almost all a full season behind.

For new programming from CBS, I usually just go to their site and stream from there. Nearly all of their programs are available for streaming either the next day or one week later. But with CBS, they do not keep the entire season available, so you need to keep up and not fall more than a few episodes behind.

Netflix is great for older shows and even some current shows that are in excess of 1 year old. The only new programming on Netflix is the stuff they produce themselves (House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, The Borgias, etc.)

Amazon Prime is also good for stuff that has been out for a year or more, but also gets a number of exclusives (such as CBS's Under the Dome) and also creates their own quality content.

As Aero 1 pointed out, another way to watch new episodes of shows is to obtain season passes for them from Amazon or iTunes. For shows you know you are going to watch, a season pass can be had for anywhere from $19 - $30 depending on which service and streaming quality you select. I have 3 shows a year I do this with. The total cost is about $75 - less than one month of DirecTV or cable.

Combining Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and my three passes, I pay approximately $320 per year for programming and am rarely left out of the loop on anything worth watching.

If you are a sports fan, life could get much more difficult.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-21-2014, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
As many have pointed out, Hulu+ is not the ultimate in cord-cutting services. It is however, probably the most affordable for most new programming from the major networks (except CBS). Hulu+ has far more usefulness from October-May, during the actual "new content season". During that time, the vast majority of shows aired on ABC, WB, Fox, and NBC will be available there the next day. Shows on USA and Scyfy are usually available one month after airing, but must be streamed through a PC and not through an app. Hulu+ also has the entire Criterion Collection available for streaming commercial free as well as an excellent number of Canadian shows. They also have a fairly decent library of the more popular shows from TNT and the like, but those are almost all a full season behind.

For new programming from CBS, I usually just go to their site and stream from there. Nearly all of their programs are available for streaming either the next day or one week later. But with CBS, they do not keep the entire season available, so you need to keep up and not fall more than a few episodes behind.

Netflix is great for older shows and even some current shows that are in excess of 1 year old. The only new programming on Netflix is the stuff they produce themselves (House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, The Borgias, etc.)

Amazon Prime is also good for stuff that has been out for a year or more, but also gets a number of exclusives (such as CBS's Under the Dome) and also creates their own quality content.

As Aero 1 pointed out, another way to watch new episodes of shows is to obtain season passes for them from Amazon or iTunes. For shows you know you are going to watch, a season pass can be had for anywhere from $19 - $30 depending on which service and streaming quality you select. I have 3 shows a year I do this with. The total cost is about $75 - less than one month of DirecTV or cable.

Combining Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and my three passes, I pay approximately $320 per year for programming and am rarely left out of the loop on anything worth watching.

If you are a sports fan, life could get much more difficult.
Guys, thank you ALL for the suggestions/comments. Much appreciated.
Y'know...you always think that you have described everything in your post, until people start replying, and asking questions.

I should have mentioned, that we still have a TV source. Standard TV transmitted via TWC. (All local stations, and TBS, so I can still watch Conan.) I should have also stated that I have two teenage daughters, and an eight year old son. (It's probably the hardest on him, with no Cartoon Network).
I do get that things aren't gonna be easy, but I really thought that Hulu was a more central location. I had no clue that it was as similar to Netfilx's issues with the major movie studios. I had previously tried Netflix, and came to the conclusion that season TV, and waiting for movies to come out 3-4 months after the DVD release...(if at all) was not enjoyable. I have also done the "watch last night's episode" on the major networks, when I had a glitch or forgot to set the DVR to record the favorite shows.
I don't intend to pay for additional viewing at this time. TNT requires a current cable company subscription. Some of the App's for networks are "not available in my area"...(Including ABC, and FX Now)

Aryn, thanks for the heads-up about the seasonal issues with Hulu, that may help.
Some of the shows that we are hooked on:
The Last Ship
Blacklist
Under The Dome
Elementary
AGT
Revolution...(now dead)
Last Man Standing
Big Bang Theory
I'm a Star Trek fan..movies and series.

All have a solution, and seem to be available...but not at a central location (either online, or in my house) right now. It seems we have to shuffle between screens, to view material.
It's also difficult absorbing some of the network shows that are out there right now. "Reality" TV is not real, and sickens me. Many of the comedies are brainless. With cable you have 200 and some channels to zone out on while visiting with the family. You can usually pull up an old movie, or classic sitcom like Cheers, Frasier, etc...
I'm sure it will take some getting used to.
Or we can do what we should be doing...reading, playing games together.

post #7 of 9 Old 07-21-2014, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Guys, thank you ALL for the suggestions/comments. Much appreciated.

Aryn, thanks for the heads-up about the seasonal issues with Hulu, that may help.
Some of the shows that we are hooked on:
The Last Ship
Blacklist
Under The Dome
Elementary
AGT
Revolution...(now dead)
Last Man Standing
Big Bang Theory
I'm a Star Trek fan..movies and series.

All have a solution, and seem to be available...but not at a central location (either online, or in my house) right now. It seems we have to shuffle between screens, to view material.
It's also difficult absorbing some of the network shows that are out there right now. "Reality" TV is not real, and sickens me. Many of the comedies are brainless. With cable you have 200 and some channels to zone out on while visiting with the family. You can usually pull up an old movie, or classic sitcom like Cheers, Frasier, etc...
I'm sure it will take some getting used to.
Or we can do what we should be doing...reading, playing games together.
Well, your CBS shows won't be available on Hulu+ (so no BBT or Elementary) but Under the Dome is available free through Amazon if you happen to have Prime. Otherwise, CBS keeps all their stuff pretty much in-house on CBS.com

Revolution, Star Trek, Blacklist, LMS, all those are available next day via Hulu+.

As for your kids, my kids have yet to find an end to things to watch when combining Hulu+ and Netflix (with a smattering of Amazon Prime). Those seem to make the transition to the streaming services a bit faster than other shows. You also mention just chilling out watching classic television or movies. Both Hulu and Netflix have plenty of that. I actually prefer Hulu for many of those (Cheers is a personal favorite of mine). Classic movies are all over - some on Netflix, some on Hulu. Hulu is lesss for movies than Netflix is. Although, as I mentioned earlier, Hulu+ does include the entire Criterion Collection commercial free. So there are tons of classic films for viewing there.

As a general rule of thumb, Hulu+ finds its best value during the actual television season because it is the only service to provide current episodes without actual purchase. Outside of the regular season, Netflix tends to pull ahead due to its larger library and mix of movies along with television. For "cutting the cord" I really recommend doubling up and subscribing to both services and also paying the yearly subscription for Amazon Prime or at the very least subscribing to Hulu+ and Netflix and then purchasing 1-2 shows along the way that don't stream but that you really enjoy.
Marc Wielage likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-22-2014, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
and an eight year old son. (It's probably the hardest on him, with no Cartoon Network).
You'd be amazed as to what you can get on youtube https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+full+episodes

You can even get a lot of the first gen full length Star Trek episodes on youtube https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+full+episodes

I'd thought I'd miss Discovery and Science Channel when I went to OTA, but found a lot of those types of shows on youtube full length.

Granted the quality isn't always the greatest, but doesn't bother me too much and I use youtube through my Roku and Chromecast so able to watch youtube on the big screen.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-22-2014, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you. Both good finds...

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version