Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2014, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dune TV-303D V. Mede8er MED600X3D

Hello Fellows,

I'm in conundrum regarding the above streamers.
My setup is Onkyo TX-NR929 and Synology NAS DS214 (the streamer will be hard wired)
Don't have 3D tv and no 3D content, mostly streams movies and TV shows in MKV, have few BD ISO images.
I know one is Realtek and one is Sigma, I have been reading the forums here back and forth, and got the to final two contenders. Both company’s forums are very active and both companies pushed firmware updates regularly.
Considering the price is very similar, what would you recommend?

Regards
G.

Last edited by gallico916; 07-22-2014 at 02:56 PM. Reason: add more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallico916 View Post
Hello Fellows,

I'm in conundrum regarding the above streamers.
My setup is Onkyo TX-NR929 and Synology NAS DS214 (the streamer will be hard wired)
Don't have 3D tv and no 3D content, mostly streams movies and TV shows in MKV, have few BD ISO images.
I know one is Realtek and one is Sigma, I have been reading the forums here back and forth, and got the to final two contenders. Both company’s forums are very active and both companies pushed firmware updates regularly.
Considering the price is very similar, what would you recommend?

Regards
G.
Since 3D is not an issue for you get the Dune. You'll get better jukebox options with proper support for box sets and TV series, and you get support for forced subtitles in MKV files.
GusGus748s likes this.

Looky here!
Old 07-23-2014, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Since 3D is not an issue for you get the Dune. You'll get better jukebox options with proper support for box sets and TV series, and you get support for forced subtitles in MKV files.
Hello robnix,

Thank you for the quick answer, but doesn't MED600X3D have force subtitles also as i remember ?
Do you have any experience with any of the units? would like to hear some feedback please.

Regards
G.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hello robnix,

Thank you for the quick answer, but doesn't MED600X3D have force subtitles also as i remember ?
Do you have any experience with any of the units? would like to hear some feedback please.

Regards
G.
No, the chipset in the mede8er devices do not respect the forced subs flag in mkv files.

I've tried just about every one of the latest players available as well as HTPCs.

The mede8er players are solid and have 3d mkv support, but have poor support for pgs subtitles and while the jukebox is OK, there's no support for box sets and the TV series support is kludgy.

The pch players support pgs subs and have a nice internal scraper and jukebox, but there's no box set support for movies. Plus, they're not shipping to the US anymore.

the dune players have no internal scraper, but there are a few jukebox options that include movie box sets and good TV series support. PGS subs are also supported with a patch.

pch and dune both support 3d ISO.

all the players have issues with ISO files that use seamless branching. you'll need to remux to avoid issues.

if it helps I'm going back to a dune player from an htpc.

Last edited by robnix; 07-23-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No, the chipset in the mede8er devices do not respect the forced subs flag in mkv files.

I've tried just about every one of the latest players available as well as HTPCs.

The mede8er players are solid and have 3d mkv support, but have poor support for pgs subtitles and while the jukebox is OK, there's support for box sets and the TV series support is kludgy.

The pch players support pgs subs and have a nice internal scraper and jukebox, but there's no box set support for movies. Plus, they're not shipping to the US anymore.

the dune players have no internal scraper, but there are a few jukebox options that include movie box sets and good TV series support. PGS subs are also supported with a patch.

all the players have issues with ISO files that use seamless branching. you'll need to remux to avoid issues.

Hello

Thank you for the insight

Regards
G.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I went with the mede8er.
As I researched this very subject myself a little while ago I found pretty major complaints over the lack of dune support and updating. That IMO is unacceptable given the price tag of these machines. Admittedly the lack of forced subtitle support though is a bit of a PIA, but not the end of the world.

While I find most parts of the med to be average to slightly above, the scraper support is one of those parts that's well above. Pretty simple and easily edited... but then I do movies and no tv shows or music.

But at the end of the day, BOTH these machines have their strong and weak points to them so you really need to sit and figure out what's most important to you and what is not. That will probably make the decision for you.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The mede8er players are solid and have 3d mkv support, but have poor support for pgs subtitles and while the jukebox is OK, there's no support for box sets and the TV series support is kludgy.

Hey

Does the Dune need internal HD to work, or can it work w/o an HD (I have NAS with all my data)
Old 07-23-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey

Does the Dune need internal HD to work, or can it work w/o an HD (I have NAS with all my data)
It does not need a hard drive, neither do the mede8er devices. You will want an SD card to install any additional patches and plugins on.

Looky here!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Hey

I have a NAS based system as well, but chose to go with a machine that can fit a HDD.

The data you collect is ever growing and never ending. Sooner or later you WILL need an extra spot for more HDDs
Old 07-27-2014, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Scraper

So in this case does the Dune come with a built in scraper ?
If not what other options are out there?

Regards
G.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So in this case does the Dune come with a built in scraper ?
If not what other options are out there?

Regards
G.
Dune players do not have a built in scraper. There's software like Dune Flash Interface 2, Yadis, Zappiti, and 10Muse that you can use to build a jukebox and export it to the Dune.

Looky here!
Old 07-27-2014, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

So, some of the option cost money (Zappiti), all the rest you need to setup on a windows machine that I don't have
So in this case why not gotr with the Mede8er and get all done with one box?

I know that the Mede8er need to have a specific naming order for the scraper to work but I'm already been doing it for years.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So, some of the option cost money (Zappiti), all the rest you need to setup on a windows machine that I don't have
So in this case why not gotr with the Mede8er and get all done with one box?

I know that the Mede8er need to have a specific naming order for the scraper to work but I'm already been doing it for years.
Zappiti up to 2.8 is free. There's also DuneX for OSX or you can run apps in a Virtualbox VM.

The Dune jukeboxes are simply more full featured than the mede8er scraper. The Box Set and TV Series support is MUCH better, and DFI2 has some pretty cool interactivity.

Looky here!
Old 07-27-2014, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Zappiti up to 2.8 is free. There's also DuneX for OSX or you can run apps in a Virtualbox VM.

The Dune jukeboxes are simply more full featured than the mede8er scraper. The Box Set and TV Series support is MUCH better, and DFI2 has some pretty cool interactivity.
Hey,

Ok, great I'll look into that.
Thank you robnix