1Likes
  • 1 Post By bac522

post #1 of 8 Old 07-23-2014, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Media server help

So, I want to stream music mainly to my Nexus 7 and iPod, I need to be able to access my external HD where all my music is kept and select by the music from the pads. It must support flac, since 98% of my music is in flac format and I loath to convert them all. I have at my disposal a Roku 2 and a Roku 3, a Sony Google device and I'm getting a Rasberry Pi in the next couple of days as well. I would rather not dedicate a full blown PC to this.

Right now the HD is connected to a Oppo 93 where I can access in the home theater. Oh, yea must be simple enough for my GF to access it as well. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-23-2014, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
So, I want to stream music mainly to my Nexus 7 and iPod, I need to be able to access my external HD where all my music is kept and select by the music from the pads. It must support flac, since 98% of my music is in flac format and I loath to convert them all. I have at my disposal a Roku 2 and a Roku 3, a Sony Google device and I'm getting a Rasberry Pi in the next couple of days as well. I would rather not dedicate a full blown PC to this.

Right now the HD is connected to a Oppo 93 where I can access in the home theater. Oh, yea must be simple enough for my GF to access it as well. Suggestions?
Install MPD on the raspberry Pi and set it up for streaming. Install one of the countless MPC (clients) on your Nexus 7, laptops, iPhone, etc...iPod doesn't support network connectivity, so no way you can stream to it.

Other option is to install minidlna on the Pi and then just use a UPNP client on your Nexus 7 (and other devices) as it plays FLAC without conversion.
tom_c likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-23-2014, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Install MPD on the raspberry Pi and set it up for streaming. Install one of the countless MPC (clients) on your Nexus 7, laptops, iPhone, etc...iPod doesn't support network connectivity, so no way you can stream to it.

Other option is to install minidlna on the Pi and then just use a UPNP client on your Nexus 7 (and other devices) as it plays FLAC without conversion.
Sweet! MiniDLNA may be just what I was looking for. Thanks,
post #4 of 8 Old 07-23-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You can certainly stream to an iPod Touch - it has basically the same capabilities as iPhone or iPad.

There are many possible solutions for server software. A lot of them have both PC Windows and Linux versions, so you could experiment easily to see which one you like best. The real issue with low-power Linux server solutions is that they may not have sufficient performance for on-the-fly transcoding. You would have to ensure that all your media files are already in a format suitable for your devices, like MP4 with H.264 video and stereo AAC audio track.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-23-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I like using Plex to get music (and movies, recorded tv, etc) onto my phone and netbook when I'm away.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #6 of 8 Old 07-24-2014, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all, I really would rather not dedicate a PC for a server, a low power mini-pc would be fine. I also have too many multimedia devices as it is and I would like to use what I have instead of bringing in yet another device. It would be nice if there was an app for the Roku or Sony Google TV that would turn them into media servers. It seemed like a simple thing, but I haven't seen anything.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-24-2014, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Plex doesn't need to run on a dedicated server. If you have your external HD attached to your laptop or PC you can run Plex there to start. You may want to move to a dedicated setup later if you use it a lot, though.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 53
As I mention the Pi will do exactly what you are looking for, even remotely on the internet if you setup MPD (and configure your Firewall). I use both MPD and MiniDLNA at the same time on my Pi and it works great for my FLAC music. Plus MiniDLNA streams my ripped DVD's and MythTV recordings to my Roku and Chromecast devices. Heck I even have Pandora running on my Pi.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page