AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/)
-   -   Desktop at 90Mbps, Ps3 at 17Mbps, Ps4 at 26Mbps. All wired. Is this normal? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/1617010-desktop-90mbps-ps3-17mbps-ps4-26mbps-all-wired-normal.html)

mikej3131 07-25-2014 08:39 AM

Desktop at 90Mbps, Ps3 at 17Mbps, Ps4 at 26Mbps. All wired. Is this normal?

I just started testing all my internet speeds for all my devices. I have never done this until now. I just got a powerline adapter so I am able to directly connect the Ps3 and Ps4. However, when directly connected, they arent that fast. I know it is not the fault of the powerline adapters because my laptop, when connected via powerline, gets 55Mbps.

See all my timings below. Is having such a drastic drop from the wired desktop to wired Ps3's/Ps4's normal and just how it is?

Desktop directly connected to modem - 84down (via comcast speedtest)
Laptop directly connected to powerline - 55down (via comcast speedtest)
Ps4 directly connected to powerline - 26down (via "connection test" and speedof.me)
Ps3 directly connected to powerline - 17down (via "connection test" and testmy.net)

I gave my Ps3 a static IP as well as did the DMZ thing, with no change in speed.

If this is not normal, what could be wrong or what could I do to improve speed?

smitbret 07-25-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikej3131 (Post 26033226)
I just started testing all my internet speeds for all my devices. I have never done this until now. I just got a powerline adapter so I am able to directly connect the Ps3 and Ps4. However, when directly connected, they arent that fast. I know it is not the fault of the powerline adapters because my laptop, when connected via powerline, gets 55Mbps.

See all my timings below. Is having such a drastic drop from the wired desktop to wired Ps3's/Ps4's normal and just how it is?

Desktop directly connected to modem - 84down (via comcast speedtest)
Laptop directly connected to powerline - 55down (via comcast speedtest)
Ps4 directly connected to powerline - 26down (via "connection test" and speedof.me)
Ps3 directly connected to powerline - 17down (via "connection test" and testmy.net)

I gave my Ps3 a static IP as well as did the DMZ thing, with no change in speed.

If this is not normal, what could be wrong or what could I do to improve speed?

Probably more of a statement of the quality of the electrical wiring in your home more than anything.

mikej3131 07-25-2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitbret (Post 26034106)
Probably more of a statement of the quality of the electrical wiring in your home more than anything.

I don't think that is the case. The powerline to laptop is fine. I'm getting 55Mbps powerline-to-laptop (The same as I got directly going from modem-to-laptop).

Also, when I connect Ps3/Ps4 through the wireless, it says 100% signal strength, but that only equates to Ps4-20down and Ps3-13down.

DanPackMan 07-25-2014 09:46 AM

Different network adapters, driver and settings could very well be the difference.

mikej3131 07-25-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanPackMan (Post 26035050)
Different network adapters, driver and settings could very well be the difference.

Network Adapters - So youre saying maybe the PS3/Ps4 adapters are not good?
Drivers - How does this come into play? Same as the Network Adapter explanation above?
Settings - I set the PS3 to have a static IP and DMZ.

Anyone with a comcast 100Mbps subscription that can tell me what type of difference they are seeing between their wired desktop and wired Ps3/Ps4?

If my desktop is getting 80Mbps, should the Ps3/Ps4 get around that?

jparker36 07-25-2014 11:11 AM

You're also not using the same speedtest for your results. ISPs are known to boost burst speeds on speedtest.net to provide inflated numbers. That would account for some of the difference. Wiring, drivers, etc could add up to the rest.

mikej3131 07-25-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jparker36 (Post 26037410)
You're also not using the same speedtest for your results. ISPs are known to boost burst speeds on speedtest.net to provide inflated numbers. That would account for some of the difference. Wiring, drivers, etc could add up to the rest.

Ok just to cancel out any outside factors, I removed the powerline and took my ps3 upstairs to my computer room. I then directly connected my ps3 from the modem to ps3. So both desktop and ps3 are connected the same way. I then did a speed test on the same website (testmy.net). Results are as follows:

Desktop - 34down
PS3 - 8 down

So canceling out the power line and the Speedtest website disparity and also the wiring disparity, the results still show a drastic drop from desktop to PS3. PS3 is 1/4 the speed of desktop. It is a ps3 slim and as far as drivers, the ps3 slim model has the best driver right? My settings are optimized from what I understand (static IP and DMZ).

Anyone with a wired desktop and ps3 have similar results or better? Is this normal?

DanPackMan 07-25-2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikej3131 (Post 26035674)
Network Adapters - So youre saying maybe the PS3/Ps4 adapters are not good?
Drivers - How does this come into play? Same as the Network Adapter explanation above?
Settings - I set the PS3 to have a static IP and DMZ.

No, I am not saying the PS3 adapters are no good, just different. They are obviously working. There are different adapter hardwares out there, and firmware/drivers as well that can impact performance. I'm no expert, but buffer size and buffer speed could be one example of a difference maker. Settings in the driver, such as flow control, jumbo packets, etc can be set differently and possibly impact performance.

I'd say the Ps3 adapters are designed and configured to meet the ps3 needs as judged by the designer. So, maybe not optimized for speed and rather optimized for reliability. I could be flat our wrong, just suggesting one possible reason you are seeing what you are seeing.

mikej3131 07-25-2014 12:29 PM

Someone also with a Ps3 that is directly connected could shed some light on this. Maybe this is just the norm for Ps3/Ps4.

Westly-C 07-25-2014 12:37 PM

I read some time ago, that the speed test on the console connects directly to the PSN servers. The tests done are not an accurate reflection of your internet service speed. I get nowhere near my ISP download rate when running tests on my PS3, and that includes using the built in browser too. There's nothing wrong with your PS3.

Jessica Rabbit-It's not bad, it was drawn this way. :rolleyes:

mikej3131 07-25-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westly-C (Post 26039690)
I read some time ago, that the speed test on the console connects directly to the PSN servers. The tests done are not an accurate reflection of your internet service speed. I get nowhere near my ISP download rate when running tests on my PS3, and that includes using the built in browser too. There's nothing wrong with your PS3.

Jessica Rabbit-It's not bad, it was drawn this way. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. Are you Ethernet connected to your ps3? And what about comparing it to your desktop speed (not your ISP download rate), how is the comparison then? Are you seeing 1/4 the speed on the ps3 compared to your desktop? That's what I'm seeing

Westly-C 07-25-2014 12:50 PM

My PS3 is ethernet connected. Hold, and I'll run a few speed tests now...

mikej3131 07-25-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westly-C (Post 26040066)
My PS3 is ethernet connected. Hold, and I'll run a few speed tests now...

Use testmy.net for both ps3 and desktop

That's what I used

Westly-C 07-25-2014 01:56 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Company came over, sorry for the delay.

Using testmy.net on the PS3, Android tablet and PC.

PS3 Browser

Android tablet Chrome Browser

PC Firefox browser

And finally, the PS3 speed test under Network Settings

The pc vs Android lag, I'm guessing is due to the firewall+anti virus program slowing it down.

mikej3131 07-25-2014 02:41 PM

Thanks.

Interesting that your Android tablet is more than double the speed of your PC, isn't it using Wifi? You must have some really interfering firewall/anti-virus on there.

What is your ISP download rate?

Westly-C 07-25-2014 03:08 PM

I'm on Comcast. The normal download/upload was 25/5, but they are upping that to 30/10.
The sluggish pc performance seems to be Firefox related. Using the Chrome browser, download came in at 24.5 with upload at 9.6.

mikej3131 07-25-2014 03:45 PM

Taking all that into account, it still seems that your getting better performance on your PS3. Maybe I can tweak some things. Other than giving it a static IP and DMZ, are there other settings which would help?

Having the Comcast blast 100Mbps subscription and only being able to utilize 9Mbps (via testmy.net) of it on my PS3 sucks. Regardless of adapters/drivers/speedtestvariables etc.

nickoakdl 07-25-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikej3131 (Post 26043842)
Taking all that into account, it still seems that your getting better performance on your PS3. Maybe I can tweak some things. Other than giving it a static IP and DMZ, are there other settings which would help?

Having the Comcast blast 100Mbps subscription and only being able to utilize 9Mbps (via testmy.net) of it on my PS3 sucks. Regardless of adapters/drivers/speedtestvariables etc.

I think this is normal.

My laptop's connection is superfast, my PS4 is somewhat fast, my PS3 is the slowest.

sikclown 07-25-2014 08:41 PM

It is completely normal, but BS. I have a 150Mbps down 20 Mbps up connection from Cox and all of my wired devices get full speed and often more from my connection. My wired PS4 maxes out at 32Mbps down and 15Mbps up no matter what. It may be a driver issue, actually crappy NIC issue, or Sony may have a speed cap (not likely on the NIC itself). The built in Network test is going to be about the speeds you can expect from SEN with downloads. I even tried connecting my modem directly to the PS4 with no change. The wireless connection on both the PS3 and PS4 are even bigger jokes.

72.9.159.100 07-25-2014 10:45 PM

Do the PS3/'4s only have 10/100 eth?

sikclown 07-25-2014 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72.9.159.100 (Post 26050114)
Do the PS3/'4s only have 10/100 eth?

The PS4 has 10/100/1000 for sure. It just isn't optimized to utilize the speed. Possible by design, possible an OS/Driver issue.

alyssanick 07-26-2014 06:48 PM

You may have a 100Mbit plan but that doesnt guarantee that amount. I'm assuming its not cable we are talking about.

Everything broadband is "Up to X speed" Key point being bolded.

sikclown 07-26-2014 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alyssanick (Post 26068274)
You may have a 100Mbit plan but that doesnt guarantee that amount. I'm assuming its not cable we are talking about.

Cox cable Is 150Mbps with an allowance of an undisclosed percentage slowdown. Anything lower than 120 or so and they send a tech out.

mikej3131 07-26-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alyssanick (Post 26068274)

I don't think you read through this thread. All speeds quoted were from actual speed tests. Not internet subscription claims

alyssanick 07-26-2014 08:42 PM

Entire thread is irrelevant as it went slightly off-topic with a post or two talking about their internet plans speed.

"I get X on comcast"

Someone said 100. I'm aussie and even though I know not much about U.S internet I do know broadband shares connections from an exchange and one check of their website "up to" is the important thing to note for every connection. There are literally no guarantees once you put that into your plan

mikej3131 07-26-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alyssanick (Post 26069738)
Entire thread is irrelevant as it went slightly off-topic with a post or two talking about their internet plans speed.

"I get X on comcast"

Someone said 100. I'm aussie and even though I know not much about U.S internet I do know broadband shares connections from an exchange and one check of their website "up to" is the important thing to note for every connection. There are literally no guarantees once you put that into your plan

Actually it stayed on topic quite heavily. You are the one who is completely off topic babbling on about generalistic broadband connection speed claims that have NOTHING to do with comparing a playstation system to a PC on those connections. If you're not here to give input or have anything relevant to say about playstation systems vs PCs in regards to speed, then why exactly are you here?

Again, read the ENTIRE thread and you can see everyone is staying on topic. We state our internet subscriptions speeds, but only in relation to how those subscriptions give us comparisons from game systems to our PCs. We claim we are satisfied with the PC speed but not with the game system speeds. This thread and all of the posts inside of it, excluding yours, have nothing to do with generalizing internet subscriptions which claim "up to" certain speeds.

And just to answer your off-topic question. No, I don't have broadband, it is cable.

PooperScooper 07-27-2014 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikej3131 (Post 26070610)

And just to answer your off-topic question. No, I don't have broadband, it is cable.

Your cable connection is broadband.

mikej3131 07-27-2014 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PooperScooper (Post 26076762)
Your cable connection is broadband.

Ok then it is up to a speed. Which explains the 80down I get