#1 ·
Good afternoon. I am at a crossroads with my current server. I am using:
Dell Dimension 9200 with
Intel Core Quad CPU - Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
8 GB RAM
64 Bit OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
C: is 75 GB hard
E: is 2TB RAID To 2TB (WD Green - 5400k rpm)
F: is 4TB RAID To 4TB (WD Green - 5400k rpm)

I would appreciate advice on which path to choose. $ is a consideration, but not the driver of this decision. I need massive storage as I have filled 4 TB since April. I will use this for:

Small business server with up to 4 users
File sharing & Back up
Printer management
Website hosting for 1-2 sites
Email server
VPN remote users
Security camera loop
Media storage for PLEX entertainment
Home office automation
and whatever else I can think of for a new hobby

Option 1: Sell what I have and get the Dell PowerEdge T620
Option 2: Add the Synology 1813+ To my existing system

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Your Dimension 9200 is an older, very solid but dated PC. It would make a nice platform to play with if it weren't for the annoying Dell case. Adding the 1813+ would let you solve the storage problem that the Dell case isn't helping with.

In looking at your requirements, I think you want a flexible situation where you can do any number of things. The Dimension 9200 with an 1813+ isn't really going to do that. On the other hand, the PowerEdge is a hell of an option with a starting price only a little more than the 1813+. Mind you, it's an enterprise class server and I think you're going to spend a ton of money on it over time adding memory, CPUs, drive cages, etc, and you might want to take a close look at power usage.

Personally, I'd target somewhere between those two options - but if money is no object the PowerEdge would make a nice toy ;).

#4 ·
Thank You

I appreciate your comments. The Synology would be added to my existing Dell Dimension. If I go the Dell Poweredge route. I need to learn about the components to separate needs & wants. I played with the Dell menus and found I can easily spend $3,000. I would like to keep this around $2,000.

Any thoughts there would be appreciated.

#5 ·
Each of the software raid options has areas on their forums where hardware configurations are discussed. They typically go after more standard PC components rather than the enterprise class hardware. Reading the FlexRaid, unRAID, and SnapRaid forums could give you a lot of ideas. Personally, I use unRAID and think you would benefit from reading up on both hardware options as well as on unRAID version 6 (now in beta) which does virtualization - allowing you to run VMs for different purposes on the same machine (nice given the flexibility you are looking for).

Note - FlexRaid and SnapRaid support both Windows and Linux while unRAID is Linux only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.