Amazon purchased Video questions - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-26-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Amazon purchased Video questions

For anyone who has some experience buying from Amazon. I want to make my first video purchase, "The Jungle Book" for my wife who loves the movie. I figured it was going to be easier just to buy it than to break out my old VCR gear to record it to file.

Is there any terrible DRM on Amazon Videos that you purchase? (not rent)

My second question is:

The movie was never released in HD but Amazon has an HD purchase option, is this some kind Amazon magic or just marketing for something that will not be worth the extra cost?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-26-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptah4000 View Post
For anyone who has some experience buying from Amazon. I want to make my first video purchase, "The Jungle Book" for my wife who loves the movie. I figured it was going to be easier just to buy it than to break out my old VCR gear to record it to file.

My second question is:

The movie was never released in HD but Amazon has an HD purchase option, is this some kind Amazon magic or just marketing for something that will not be worth the extra cost?

Thanks
There is NO terrible DRM for Amazon videos- you can watch it anytime you want on any device that you own that has the Amazon App (Roku, Ipad, Iphone, TV etc.). If there is an option for both SD and HD for a movie then the HD will be HD. I don't know what you are streaming with as you did not mention. As long as you have the internet capability for streaming then you would be good to go. My wife owns a number of videos from Amazon (about 8) and has no problems.
Gerry
post #3 of 8 Old 07-26-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I guess I don't understand how a movie can be HD if it was never remastered or released in HD.

I watch movies on HTPC, IPAD and Android. I guess I didn't realize that when you 'purchase' a video you are only purchasing the rights to stream it. I talked to the Amazon rep and she said something about downloading it to 2 qualified devices, sounds like a nightmare.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I guess I don't understand how a movie can be HD if it was never remastered or released in HD.

I watch movies on HTPC, IPAD and Android. I guess I didn't realize that when you 'purchase' a video you are only purchasing the rights to stream it. I talked to the Amazon rep and she said something about downloading it to 2 qualified devices, sounds like a nightmare.
Yes, I guess there is something about downloading it to a device to take with you where there is no WiFi.. I poked around there website a long time ago but don't remember the particulars..
Since I don't do that I did not pursue it any more.

I did a search on Amazon for The Jungle Book and see there are two different ones in the movie section available for streaming. One from 1964 and another from 2013 available. Both say SD or HD.
At any rate you can trust them if it says HD. Whether you need HD really depends on what size screen you are viewing on as there is no need for HD on a small screen.

Gerry
post #5 of 8 Old 07-26-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Of course there is DRM on any video purchases from Amazon or anywhere else and that DRM will restrict how you can use/view the content. Whether or not it is "terrible" is all a matter of whether or not your viewing desires and methods correspond with what they allow you to do. When you "purchase" a video on-line what you are really buying is a "lifetime" license to view the content as many times as you want for as long as the service offers that particular title. There is no guarantee the title you license will be available to you forever. If you want that guarantee, go buy the disk.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 07-26-2014 at 11:30 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-26-2014, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have been purchasing movies from Amazon Instant Video since 2008. I have almost 200 movies/tv shows and never once have I lost or one taken away by Amazon. Even when a Title has said " Content unavailable for purchase or streaming" if you own you can still stream or download.

Last edited by Otter0911; 07-26-2014 at 03:24 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-26-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:

http://smile.amazon.com/Jungle-Book-...ds=jungle+book
post #8 of 8 Old 07-26-2014, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Otter, thanks for the endorsement; its good to know that even if a movie gets pulled its still available to those who have purchased it.

Oly, I was actually referring to the 1994 live action Jungle Book
http://www.amazon.com/Jungle-Book-Ja...he+jungle+book

Kelson, DVD is not available for this title, that is what led me down this rabbit hole to begin with

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I have 'little girl with a curl' internet here, that is to say when it is bad it is horrid; so I may not be able to see the movie when I want. Not the most terrible thing in the world, just kind of explaining why I'm not all in when it comes to cloud services.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page