• 1 Post By funhouse69

post #1 of 3 Old 07-26-2014, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Home Network Setup

Hello All,

First time poster here. I am planning my home network system which will be mainly wired cat6 and 1 wifi AP (for mobile devices). I attached a picture of my planned setup but I want to know if there is a better way to do it. My current plan is as follows.

The internet connection comes in via the study (ISP modem). from there i will route 1 ethernet cable into the attic to the the dining room Wi-Fi router( ceiling mounted). From the Wi-Fi router I will route two cables. 1 to the study closet to a 16 port switch and 1 to the living room to a 5 port switch.

The 16 port switch will give 2 drops to each small bedroom and 4 drops to the master bedroom.

My main question or request is to get some advice on how this can be done better or if this will be good enough. Having the switch in the actual master bedroom and living room will allow me to add a bigger switch in the future if needed. For now the specified switches will be sufficient for the electronics i am running.

All rooms will have the Keystone ports in the wall and then the switch outside the wall behind home theater cabinet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
06ChargerRT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	181946  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-27-2014, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How will you power the router?

If possible, I would recommend keeping the ISP modem, router, and 16 port switch together in the study. It can make troubleshooting easier if the main components are together. It also allows you to have a UPS to battery backup the core of your network. (Very nice if you work from home)

If putting the wifi router if the study causes wifi issues in the family room, you could always add another wifi router in access point mode. Depending on how many wired ports you need in the family room, you may not need the 5 port switch if the access point is there.
bubblysandy likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-29-2014, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 30
First of all what you are suggesting here should work fine but as Jimbo asked how are you going to power the Router in the Dining Room?

Before putting the Router there I would put it in the attic and make sure that you are getting the desired coverage throughout the house. More than likely it will be fine but check it before putting holes in the ceiling. At the same time you really don't have to put it on the dining room ceiling you can just put it in the attic and you should get pretty much the same coverage unless you have metal (like duct work) blocking it.

You mentioned that all of the rooms have / will have Keystone Jacks in them? Where are there Jacks going to terminate? Why not terminate everything in the same location like the basement? In this case you could put all of your networking equipment in the same location (including your cable Modem / Router) This would allow you to use one single switch instead of multiple switches and (again as Jimbo mentioned) allow you to use a single UPS to back up all of your network equipment except for the Wireless Router unless you could find one that uses POE. But of course if you did you would need a POE Switch to power it.

I live in a very old house and ended up running a single cable to each of the rooms and ended up using a POE Switch as my main switch and then put 5 Port Netgear POE and HP / 3 Com 5 Port Wall Plate Mounted POE Switches in the rooms I needed more ports in.

Bottom line I always find it nice to keep as many components as close to each other as possible. As mentioned this makes powering them a whole lot easier especially if you want to use any kind of a backup and most importantly it makes troubleshooting a whole lot easier as well.
bubblysandy likes this.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page