post #31 of 63 Old 08-09-2014, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
I agree that Dune handle leaving media business poorly. However, they went with what will make more $$ for them, and that's the IPTV option. Even with them leaving the media player business, it is my personal opinion the Dune Smart Series for 2D player are hard to beat.
I love both my old Dunes--a Max and a Base 3.0--they do full bluray menu and play just about everthing thrown at them.My Dune 3D could have had some updates that would make it a great player too but Dune stopped support for it awhile back.I hope you have good luck with HTPC your working on

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 63 Old 08-09-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by denass View Post
I was hoping for some new features like MKV-MVC support but guess nothing of any use will come from Dune via firmware.Which is a bugga.
It is a waste for Dune to bring out any new player because of how bad they are now with support.
It would be great if someone took over from Dune with their products.
I think Dune's reputation has really taken a hit because of their lack of support which will make many wary of buying any new products from them.
They really have shot themselves in the foot.
Thanks GusGus and hopefully some good news will come from Mike--he must feel frustrated as well of how Dune have been over the last year.
The only feature you complain about will never happen. makemkv Mkv/mvc format never became the true specs of mkv/mvc. Why do you think no one else really adopted it the only people to have it was realtek 1186 players and stereoscopic player. You can find the old mailing lists back from 2012 http://lists.matroska.org/pipermail/...er/004323.html where the mkv devs did not like how makemkv did it and wanted it changed It was supposed to come in a later revision of mkv format but never did.

Last edited by halfelite; 08-09-2014 at 11:54 AM.
post #33 of 63 Old 08-09-2014, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just bought a new Smart D1 from Mike at Dune a few days ago. I absolutely need full BD menu support for my library of music video and concerts. Anyway, it took me a few days to get everything working right, with a lot of help from the My Movies forum. I'm using Lime-Technology UnRAID server, My Movies 5, and the D1. Everything is now working well and the Dune is great. I'm coming from a Netgear NTV550 which did the job but the D1 is more polished.
interwebtech likes this.

-Tom
post #34 of 63 Old 08-09-2014, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
The only feature you complain about will never happen. makemkv Mkv/mvc format never became the true specs of mkv/mvc. Why do you think no one else really adopted it the only people to have it was realtek 1186 players and stereoscopic player. You can find the old mailing lists back from 2012 http://lists.matroska.org/pipermail/...er/004323.html where the mkv devs did not like how makemkv did it and wanted it changed It was supposed to come in a later revision of mkv format but never did.
Thankyou for that--my old Himedia player played those files ok and was hoping on the Dune doing it.Ok will pass on using it then.

post #35 of 63 Old 08-10-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thankyou for that--my old Himedia player played those files ok and was hoping on the Dune doing it.Ok will pass on using it then.
^^ your himedia im guessing was the 900b. It worked the same reason mede8er does anything with the 1186 chipset will work its just how realtek chips work. Who knows if it was a fluke or put in by design that it worked on that chipset.
post #36 of 63 Old 08-10-2014, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

yes it was the 900b and I gave it to a friend and still going fine.

post #37 of 63 Old 08-11-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I am about to build a dedicated theater and was checking to see what the best media players were these days. I got a Dune Base 3 in 2010, and it has been 100% effective. I figured there would be an upgrade available by now. To hear they may be calling it quits sucks. I am actually one of the few who prefers local media. So the Base has been spectacular.
Are they even selling the Base 3 anymore?
post #38 of 63 Old 08-11-2014, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
BTW, that mede8er looks nice! Are those available in the states?
post #39 of 63 Old 08-11-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post
I am about to build a dedicated theater and was checking to see what the best media players were these days. I got a Dune Base 3 in 2010, and it has been 100% effective. I figured there would be an upgrade available by now. To hear they may be calling it quits sucks. I am actually one of the few who prefers local media. So the Base has been spectacular.
Dune stopped making media players a while ago.

You can buy mede8er at http://www.mediaconceptusa.com/mede8er.html

Just FYI mede8er doesn't support forced subs like the Dunes do with the MKV patch.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #40 of 63 Old 08-13-2014, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post
Love my old Dunes too.It's going to get hard to buy them in the near future.The Base 3.0 was stopped atleast 2-3 years ago.I like you prefer local media.
Might pay to get a backup machine incase yours dies.I love the full bluray menu on my Base 3.0 and Max.

post #41 of 63 Old 08-14-2014, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I guess all my post on Dune's FB post finally pissed them off. I got a reply! Here it is for everyone to read.

Dune HD mentioned you in a comment.
Dune HD wrote: "Hi Charles Biggers, Paul Vladi, Jim Harding, Daniele Coriglione,

Please note that Dune HD is not out of the media players market and such information was never issued by the company. The media players are available both for the end users and TV providers.

However, please take into consideration the fact that we do not sell our devices directly to the end users. In each region we have some resellers and all of them have their own sales plans, they order only models they want to sell. So if one wants to purchase any model in concrete region and cannot find it inside the dealer's price, it does not mean that this product was discontinued by the company or was not ever available. It simply means that concrete reseller did not order this model for his region.

We would like to assure you that our software team is always working on the new firmware versions in order to introduce the necessary changes. Of course, we would like to provide you with all the mentioned features – however, sometimes it is not dependent on the software but strongly connected with the licensing issues or hardware limitations.

You can find all the available firmware versions here: http://dune-hd.com/firmware/

In order to report any problems or leave any suggestions regarding firmware we strongly recommend to use our Technical Support on Dune HD website http://dune-hd.com/eng/support/technical_support All the feedback from Dune HD Facebook page is being collected on the daily basis and sent there too.

Thank you for your understanding!

Best Regards,
Dune HD Facebook Team"
post #42 of 63 Old 08-14-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
the dune used to be my go to player, but then came the oppo 93 with iso. yes, the interface was UGLY, but it played everything including 3D blu ray iso files. the 2TB drive limit was a bit annoying but bearable.
Now that my 103D plays all of my blu ray iso's, can use 5TB drives, AND defeats cinavia it has become my go to player. Interface is still UGLY, but that is not a big concern to me... :-)
Isn't this only possible using an older firmware on the OPPO?

I tried several Dunes out in 2009. But I ended up going with Popcorn Hour media players. My C200 from 2009 is still going strong. Which I use when I need full BD menus from my 2D BD ISOs. And then I have a couple of PCH A400s that work great with both my 3D and 2D BD ISOs. I'm getting close to 2000 BD ISOs so the media management I use from my tablets with my A400's has worked very well for me. Without it, it would be difficult to manage all my BD ISOs. But being able to see cover art, synopsis, fan art, etc. and just start playing a title from the tablets has really come in handy. It's a big difference from what I was doing back in 2009 with my BD ISOs.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 08-14-2014 at 08:12 AM.
post #43 of 63 Old 08-14-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Isn't this only possible using an older firmware on the OPPO?

I tried several Dunes out in 2009. But I ended up going with Popcorn Hour media players. My C200 from 2009 is still going strong. Which I use when I need full BD menus from my 2D BD ISOs. And then I have a couple of PCH A400s that work great with both my 3D and 2D BD ISOs. I'm getting close to 2000 BD ISOs so the media management I use from my tablets with my A400's has worked very well for me. Without it, it would be difficult to manage all my BD ISOs. But being able to see cover art, synopsis, fan art, etc. and just start playing a title from the tablets has really come in handy. It's a big difference from what I was doing back in 2009 with my BD ISOs.
i have been told by a couple of members that discussing "custom firmware" is frowned upon so i don't want to get anybody's panties in a bunch. the pioneer bdp-62 thread seems to be ok as long as you don't post links. Anyway, suffice it to say that it is quite possible to enable iso playback and circumvent cinavia on the 103 and 103d.
I, too, have several thousand blu ray iso's but have given up on running a server with them on it 24/7. I find it far simpler to have them stored in anti static cases and just pull one out and attach it to my synology nas as needed in a toaster style dock. i have used and/or owned nearly every single streamer device created since the a100 was launched. My primary usage is iso playback of blu ray images. The dune and my old bdp-93 used to be my go to players but that changed to the 103 last year...i still dabble with my dunes and pch players but probably going to sell them off shortly...

Last edited by mecmec; 08-14-2014 at 12:24 PM.
post #44 of 63 Old 08-14-2014, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchy View Post
I guess all my post on Dune's FB post finally pissed them off. I got a reply! Here it is for everyone to read.

Dune HD mentioned you in a comment.
Dune HD wrote: "Hi Charles Biggers, Paul Vladi, Jim Harding, Daniele Coriglione,

Please note that Dune HD is not out of the media players market and such information was never issued by the company. The media players are available both for the end users and TV providers.

However, please take into consideration the fact that we do not sell our devices directly to the end users. In each region we have some resellers and all of them have their own sales plans, they order only models they want to sell. So if one wants to purchase any model in concrete region and cannot find it inside the dealer's price, it does not mean that this product was discontinued by the company or was not ever available. It simply means that concrete reseller did not order this model for his region.

We would like to assure you that our software team is always working on the new firmware versions in order to introduce the necessary changes. Of course, we would like to provide you with all the mentioned features – however, sometimes it is not dependent on the software but strongly connected with the licensing issues or hardware limitations.

You can find all the available firmware versions here: http://dune-hd.com/firmware/

In order to report any problems or leave any suggestions regarding firmware we strongly recommend to use our Technical Support on Dune HD website http://dune-hd.com/eng/support/technical_support All the feedback from Dune HD Facebook page is being collected on the daily basis and sent there too.

Thank you for your understanding!

Best Regards,
Dune HD Facebook Team"
They might be selling what stock they have left.They haven't answered if they have stopped manufacturing their media players.

post #45 of 63 Old 08-15-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
i have been told by a couple of members that discussing "custom firmware" is frowned upon so i don't want to get anybody's panties in a bunch. the pioneer bdp-62 thread seems to be ok as long as you don't post links. Anyway, suffice it to say that it is quite possible to enable iso playback and circumvent cinavia on the 103 and 103d.
I, too, have several thousand blu ray iso's but have given up on running a server with them on it 24/7. I find it far simpler to have them stored in anti static cases and just pull one out and attach it to my synology nas as needed in a toaster style dock. i have used and/or owned nearly every single streamer device created since the a100 was launched. My primary usage is iso playback of blu ray images. The dune and my old bdp-93 used to be my go to players but that changed to the 103 last year...i still dabble with my dunes and pch players but probably going to sell them off shortly...
Now if any of those Oppo players could do this over network then I would have bought one long ago. All of my movies are stored on an unRaid server which has been rock solid for almost 3 years now. I have a Dune Base 3.0, Mede8er 450x and now an Amazon FireTV and all of them have their strengths and weaknesses. Still searching for the ideal player. I think I have the storage and networking part down with unRaid but the next thing I will look into is an Intel NUC or ASUS Chromebox for playing these files through XBMC which I'm just starting to tinker with.

post #46 of 63 Old 08-15-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
Now if any of those Oppo players could do this over network then I would have bought one long ago. All of my movies are stored on an unRaid server which has been rock solid for almost 3 years now. I have a Dune Base 3.0, Mede8er 450x and now an Amazon FireTV and all of them have their strengths and weaknesses. Still searching for the ideal player. I think I have the storage and networking part down with unRaid but the next thing I will look into is an Intel NUC or ASUS Chromebox for playing these files through XBMC which I'm just starting to tinker with.
LOL! silly man! what part of "attached to my nas" would leave you to believe that it can not be played over your network!
post #47 of 63 Old 08-15-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
LOL! silly man! what part of "attached to my nas" would leave you to believe that it can not be played over your network!
Reeeeaaaly...

I guess i misunderstood your process as it sounds like a lot more work than just an Oppo connected to a server or nas sharing by SMB or NFS. I use SMB share right now. Would that work with the 103? I understand there is not a nice interface but that is not as important to me as having the video muscle of the Oppo player.
post #48 of 63 Old 08-15-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Sold my Dune D1. Time to order parts for my HTPC.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

Home Theater Set Up:

post #49 of 63 Old 08-15-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Reeeeaaaly...

I guess i misunderstood your process as it sounds like a lot more work than just an Oppo connected to a server or nas sharing by SMB or NFS. I use SMB share right now. Would that work with the 103? I understand there is not a nice interface but that is not as important to me as having the video muscle of the Oppo player.
i use nfs for my shares so can't comment on smb. i have a small synology nas on my network and three players in different systems. i usually just grab a hard drive and drop it in the "toaster style" dock that is attached via usb. then any of the three oppos can read from it in my network. i just don't see the need to have access to all of my media at once as it is approximately 100 TB's worth stuff. . i have a master list on my phone and computer that lists everything i have so it is a simple matter for me to find the right dive. Have not had an issue yet..as solid as my 93 was, but the 93 could not read iso from the nas...
post #50 of 63 Old 08-15-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
i use nfs for my shares so can't comment on smb. i have a small synology nas on my network and three players in different systems. i usually just grab a hard drive and drop it in the "toaster style" dock that is attached via usb. then any of the three oppos can read from it in my network. i just don't see the need to have access to all of my media at once as it is approximately 100 TB's worth stuff. . i have a master list on my phone and computer that lists everything i have so it is a simple matter for me to find the right dive. Have not had an issue yet..as solid as my 93 was, but the 93 could not read iso from the nas...
Interesting. So I assume this functionality is not inherent to the standard player and requires a custom firmware which isn't supposed to exist and I'm not supposed to ask about.

post #51 of 63 Old 08-15-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Interesting. So I assume this functionality is not inherent to the standard player and requires a custom firmware which isn't supposed to exist and I'm not supposed to ask about.
correct!
on another note..you still have the 67"sammy led dlp? mine is still purring along...
post #52 of 63 Old 08-15-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
correct!������
on another note..you still have the 67"sammy led dlp? mine is still purring along...
What you talkin bout Willis?

post #53 of 63 Old 08-15-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
What you talkin bout Willis?
sorry, thought i was quoting aaronwt..
post #54 of 63 Old 08-21-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Dune is deleting negative comments on their facebook page.Funny thing is they say they don't delete posts.More fibs from Dune.

post #55 of 63 Old 08-21-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

why not give it a rest seems you have a vendetta against dune
post #56 of 63 Old 08-21-2014, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No vendetta just trying to get firmware updates and a fix for my max not playing many optical discs which they said they would.They also said they don't delete when in fact they do and soon after them saying they don't delete they admitted they do.I took a copy for myself showing them not telling the truth.This is the bad part of them being dishonest and can send you a copy if you like.

post #57 of 63 Old 08-23-2014, 12:31 PM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Although I have a couple of Dune players, I would love to enable this functionality on my Oppo 103, is there a thread you could point me to?
post #58 of 63 Old 08-28-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 260
PLease post friendly comments supporting my post on Dune HD's facebook page.

Looky here!
post #59 of 63 Old 08-30-2014, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
PLease post friendly comments supporting my post on Dune HD's facebook page.
You made a valid request to Dune in a gentlemanly way.Dune never responded and rarely do on their Facebook page.There was a guy there asking about the Max not playing some optical discs.They replied telling him to send it in for service when in fact many there told Dune of the problem including those who went through Dune's process and nothing happened.Dune did acknowledge the problem and said it would be fixed nearly 2 years ago.They know about it and still tell people to send in there units when there is no firmware update to fix.The problem is with also alot of Fox titles.Dune is being very dishonest about the Max.I had to buy a dedicated 3D bluray player to play these problematic discs.
I hope Dune would follow up on your request but really believe it will not happen.If someone else figured it out then surely Dune has the brains to add what was fixed by this guy to each and every firmware update--would be great.
By the way the latest firmware for my Base 3.0 {older model} broke full menu bluray playback on some that played fine before.Will check to see if it broke it on the Max.My Base 3D doesn't matter as no full bluray play back.
Dune is basically useless with their firmware and have been for ages--no meaningful update for features promised or fixes.

post #60 of 63 Old 08-30-2014, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
You made a valid request to Dune in a gentlemanly way.Dune never responded and rarely do on their Facebook page.There was a guy there asking about the Max not playing some optical discs.They replied telling him to send it in for service when in fact many there told Dune of the problem including those who went through Dune's process and nothing happened.Dune did acknowledge the problem and said it would be fixed nearly 2 years ago.They know about it and still tell people to send in there units when there is no firmware update to fix.The problem is with also alot of Fox titles.Dune is being very dishonest about the Max.I had to buy a dedicated 3D bluray player to play these problematic discs.
I hope Dune would follow up on your request but really believe it will not happen.If someone else figured it out then surely Dune has the brains to add what was fixed by this guy to each and every firmware update--would be great.
By the way the latest firmware for my Base 3.0 {older model} broke full menu bluray playback on some that played fine before.Will check to see if it broke it on the Max.My Base 3D doesn't matter as no full bluray play back.
Dune is basically useless with their firmware and have been for ages--no meaningful update for features promised or fixes.
Dune did respond and asked for more information about Scott's patch. There's also new firmware in beta.

Looky here!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page