AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/)
-   -   Is Dune now Finished (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/1619146-dune-now-finished.html)

denass 07-27-2014 07:17 AM

Is Dune now Finished

I heard last year on the forums a rumor that the DuneHd Connect was stopped being manufactured.I asked lately on Dune's Facebook page what is happening with the Connect.Others came there asking where to buy them and Dune wouldn't answer what was going on.Apparently Dune America is not even answering them about it.It has been removed from on the web pages here from distributors.People are really not happy not getting replies.
Dune's Facebook page is full of trivia now and no responses to customers questions.There firmware updates for the last 18 months are very basic and really no benefit.Its amazing looking at their Facebook page at just how bad it is for trivia.Nothing there about Dune now.
I have really been on their case to get answers and to no avail.Even to the point of asking is The Dune Hd Connect no dead.They would still not answer.So the conclusion by their no response is it must be true.Otherwise a company would be jumping all over it saying it wasnt true.This was touted a year ago as their next greatest thing and now looks dead.
I personally think Dune are only selling what stock they have and then gone from the media player business and I think it's going to happen soon.:mad:

Alx330 07-27-2014 07:53 AM

I wouldn't be surprised, for streaming I dont see the point of buying a Dune any more, given how cheap and more capable Intel NUC's are running XBMC which give full HD video/audio output.

Libbluray 0.6 has made some impressive strides (see demo vids) in open source Blu-ray menu compatability and will eventually be integrated into future versions of VLC/XBMC so the holy grail of flawless BD playback is once again within reach.

denass 07-27-2014 09:00 AM

Thats great news will keep my eye on how things progress.Dune have stagnated too long on giving extra features too.I was after MKV-MVC playback but never happened

denass 07-28-2014 06:09 PM

Yes the Dune HD Connect is removed from Dune's Buy.
I dont know why Dune is trying to keep it quiet that they arent manufacturing it anymore.
Try the link to purchase it
http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full...dia_players/38

Even 2 months ago Dune was promoting it on Facebook.It must have been a flop.
I heard the rumor last year but Dune isnt telling anyone.
I think definitely were just trying to sell what stock they have.
Guess their days are numbered now.

halfelite 07-28-2014 06:56 PM

They most likely just ran out of stock and it was not a huge ticket item it had a limited reach.

denass 07-29-2014 05:21 AM

I asked Dune on Facebook about the rumor of the Dune Hd Connect and their company cease manufacturing it.They wouldnt respond.A normal business would jump at it to quell any negativity.They didn't respond even when I said publicly there, the product is finished and a failed product.It obviously is finished now and probably wasn't a successful product.Dune did state they are moving out of the media player business awhile back and would still support their products.I don't think they will be in the media player business for much longer now.

smitbret 07-29-2014 05:49 AM

I think the market for the local media streamer is on its last legs.

With the advent of cheap boxes like the NUC, Brix and Chromebox there's just not a lot of room for them.

Streaming boxes are gonna be more and more focused on streaming services like the Roku, ATV and FireTV and care less and less about local media. I'm surprised WD went the other way with their SMP device. The market has to be shrinking fast.

bigbarney 07-29-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitbret (Post 26123834)
I think the market for the local media streamer is on its last legs.

With the advent of cheap boxes like the NUC, Brix and Chromebox there's just not a lot of room for them.

Streaming boxes are gonna be more and more focused on streaming services like the Roku, ATV and FireTV and care less and less about local media. I'm surprised WD went the other way with their SMP device. The market has to be shrinking fast.

I don't know if it's much nuc's and the lot as it is smart TV's with built in streaming systems. Granted the built in systems are quite simple, but probably enough to keep the general public happy.

denass 07-29-2014 08:31 AM

Its very obvious the market has been shrinking for Dune but they really made it worse for themselves by lack of customer support.Many Dune owners and prospective new owners went to Mede8er.It's amazing just how much better Mede8er are to their customers regardless of which machines are better.Dune's hardware is good but they did next to nothing in nearly 2 years in updating and adding features.This has hurt them as well.If you look at Mede8er's Facebook page and then go to Dune's you can see straight away the difference.Dune have been treating their customers with contempt and now they are paying the price.They really only have themselves to blame for letting their reputation slide so fast.

smitbret 07-29-2014 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbarney (Post 26127186)
I don't know if it's much nuc's and the lot as it is smart TV's with built in streaming systems. Granted the built in systems are quite simple, but probably enough to keep the general public happy.

Yeah, local streaming is going to be a niche market forever. Most people will just Hulu, NetFlix or Amazon Prime what they want to watch.

Kelson 07-29-2014 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbarney (Post 26127186)

People that stream local media are not the general public. The general public does not built servers, wire their networks and get into the nitty gritty of acquiring software to rip protected disks, etc. The general public would stare at us in disbelief since it is so easy to just put a disk in a player.

We are a niche market who can support only a few select players. I suspect the WDTV will live on as a local media player for as long as WD wants to market it. It provides a ton of capability at the right sub-$100 price point and is on the shelves of brick & mortar stores along side the RoKu's and ATV's.

gary0101 07-29-2014 11:48 AM

Have Dune hate it Buffer Under Runs
My Western Digital never Does that

bigbarney 07-29-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denass (Post 26127754)
It's amazing just how much better Mede8er are to their customers regardless of which machines are better.Dune's hardware is good but they did next to nothing in nearly 2 years in updating and adding features..

I went with mede8er for exactly that reason. I've been through this with boxee box already. When the silence comes.... the end is near.

bigbarney 07-29-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelson (Post 26131002)
People that stream local media are not the general public. .

That was kind of my point ;)

denass 07-29-2014 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbarney (Post 26141690)
I went with mede8er for exactly that reason. I've been through this with boxee box already. When the silence comes.... the end is near.

I had the same happen with Himedia.
Dune's Facebook page is 99% trivia with no questions now being answered by Dune.
I agree with you it's not a good sign.
I would hope Dune would stay around and be supportive of their products or someone buys them out.
People on Dune's Facebook page are not even getting replies about the Connect from Dune America.
I definitely now think Dune are just selling what stock they have left.
Its sad really.

Kelson 07-29-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbarney (Post 26141738)
That was kind of my point ;)

I may have misinterpreted.

EVT 07-30-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbarney (Post 26141690)

My Dune players have been flawless for the four years that I've had them so even if the company's future doesn't look bright, as long as there are a couple of jukebox options to use on them I'm good. As far as I'm concerned, unless 3D playback is your primary concern, a player better than the Dune players from 2009/10 has not been released - they playback blu-ray ISOs perfectly and with a patch they even recognized forced subtitle flags in MKVs.

denass 07-30-2014 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVT (Post 26160402)
My Dune players have been flawless for the four years that I've had them so even if the company's future doesn't look bright, as long as there are a couple of jukebox options to use on them I'm good. As far as I'm concerned, unless 3D playback is your primary concern, a player better than the Dune players from 2009/10 has not been released - they playback blu-ray ISOs perfectly and with a patch they even recognized forced subtitle flags in MKVs.

Agree about the old Dune's being great players.My Base 3.0 plays everything great.My Max only the optical drive not playing some discs and Dune said they would update via firmware to fix this but never did so had to go buy a dedicated bluray player--not good for a $600 Max but thats Dune.My Base 3D is good but needs some added features like MKV-MVC playback but definitely if your not interested in 3D the old Dunes are the bees knees.

GusGus748s 07-30-2014 10:49 PM

My Dune Smart D1 has been the most stable 2D media player I've owned. The Mede8er is an excellent media player as well, but it does support forced subs correctly, which is something I need.

However, I'm thinking of going the HTPC route now since I've found it to be more flexible. For 3D I use a 3D Bluray player. You just can't beat it.

Brian B 08-02-2014 03:50 PM

What about the rebadged Dune players?

http://zappiti.com/zappiti_player_series.html

B.

denass 08-07-2014 08:39 AM

Dune is now censoring their site of negative comments.Many have been deleted from others and all mine were too.They would not comment on the Dune Hd Connect being stopped from production.Their Facebook page is just Trivia now.Guess things aren't going well for them now.

Kelson 08-07-2014 08:54 AM

As far as media players go they appear to be circling the drain. IMHO the only thing that justified their high price was their superb support of BD menus. Once that ended after the Smart series they were just an over-priced player. When WD finally implemented DTS-HD pass-through in their $100 player that drove a big nail in Dune's coffin.

It's a shame but these things happen as a market matures and some previously solid suppliers can't keep up with their price structures.

halfelite 08-07-2014 10:32 AM

not to mention its a stale market. The only new thing to come since the birth of say the A100 in 2007 was bluray menus the next generation then 3d playback on the 4th generation. If someone did not want any of that a second gen player would still function 100%. Just fluff like internal jukebox's came along. But the external counter parts, yadis,yamj still blow all the internal counterparts away.

GusGus748s 08-07-2014 03:23 PM

I spoke with Mike at Duneplayer.com, and he stated they are working on a new Dune Media player that will be able to play 4K content. However, Dune has stopped making media players, and started to dedicate their time for IPTV.

Mike stated that they will fully support Dune media players for repairs and things like that. I'm currently selling my D1 since I want to built an HTPC. I was wondering if anyone one on here have the hard drive holder / tray for a D1 that you are not using. If you would like to sell it or give it away to me, I would greatly appreciated. I took mine out, and since we moved, I can't find it.

halfelite 08-07-2014 03:26 PM

^^ does that mean a spinoff like zappiti player? Or is it going to be an iptv 4k solution using the new sigma arm chipset?

mecmec 08-08-2014 07:06 AM

the dune used to be my go to player, but then came the oppo 93 with iso. yes, the interface was UGLY, but it played everything including 3D blu ray iso files. the 2TB drive limit was a bit annoying but bearable.
Now that my 103D plays all of my blu ray iso's, can use 5TB drives, AND defeats cinavia it has become my go to player. Interface is still UGLY, but that is not a big concern to me... :-)

denass 08-08-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GusGus748s (Post 26379481)
I spoke with Mike at Duneplayer.com, and he stated they are working on a new Dune Media player that will be able to play 4K content. However, Dune has stopped making media players, and started to dedicate their time for IPTV.

Mike stated that they will fully support Dune media players for repairs and things like that. I'm currently selling my D1 since I want to built an HTPC. I was wondering if anyone one on here have the hard drive holder / tray for a D1 that you are not using. If you would like to sell it or give it away to me, I would greatly appreciated. I took mine out, and since we moved, I can't find it.

Dune's CEO said the same thing about Dune leaving the Media Player business last year.If they are leaving the media player business why would they do a 4k player now unless it's a TV set top box.
Dune is now deleting negative posts on Facebook regularly from many asking about firmware updates.

GusGus748s 08-08-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denass (Post 26413617)
Dune's CEO said the same thing about Dune leaving the Media Player business last year.If they are leaving the media player business why would they do a 4k player now unless it's a TV set top box.
Dune is now deleting negative posts on Facebook regularly from many asking about firmware updates.

I don't think it is Dune by itself. I think its a combination of Mike and Dune making this new player. I'm not really sure, I'm going to call him next week about the hard drive tray, and I will ask him about the player.

denass 08-08-2014 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GusGus748s (Post 26416329)
I don't think it is Dune by itself. I think its a combination of Mike and Dune making this new player. I'm not really sure, I'm going to call him next week about the hard drive tray, and I will ask him about the player.

I was hoping for some new features like MKV-MVC support but guess nothing of any use will come from Dune via firmware.Which is a bugga.
It is a waste for Dune to bring out any new player because of how bad they are now with support.
It would be great if someone took over from Dune with their products.
I think Dune's reputation has really taken a hit because of their lack of support which will make many wary of buying any new products from them.
They really have shot themselves in the foot.
Thanks GusGus and hopefully some good news will come from Mike--he must feel frustrated as well of how Dune have been over the last year.

GusGus748s 08-08-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denass (Post 26416705)
I was hoping for some new features like MKV-MVC support but guess nothing of any use will come from Dune via firmware.Which is a bugga.
It is a waste for Dune to bring out any new player because of how bad they are now with support.
It would be great if someone took over from Dune with their products.
I think Dune's reputation has really taken a hit because of their lack of support which will make many wary of buying any new products from them.
They really have shot themselves in the foot.
Thanks GusGus and hopefully some good news will come from Mike--he must feel frustrated as well of how Dune have been over the last year.

I agree that Dune handle leaving media business poorly. However, they went with what will make more $$ for them, and that's the IPTV option. Even with them leaving the media player business, it is my personal opinion the Dune Smart Series for 2D player are hard to beat.