How to stream MKVs to an Xbox - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 07-28-2014, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How to stream MKVs to an Xbox

OK, I simply want to play MKV files from a NAS.

I've tried setting up Windows Media Center on a Windows 7 machine to feed them to the XBox, and although I can see photos, Windows Media Center doesn't seem to want to find/list my MKV files.

I've followed this, which hasn't helped - http://www.groovypost.com/howto/howt...-media-center/

I'm concerned also that streaming the footage over my homeplugs won't work. ie: It would be better if the XBox natively uncompressed the MKVs?

Anyway, anyone offer any help/advice?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-28-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 211
If you look/search in the Home Theater Computers forum you'll find various references to get your started. Typically installing (just) Shark007 will get you rolling. Personally, I'd skip the Xbox and use a streamer especially if you want to use it for anything but casual playback.
post #3 of 25 Old 07-28-2014, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Use Plex or PlayOn
post #4 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
If you look/search in the Home Theater Computers forum you'll find various references to get your started. Typically installing (just) Shark007 will get you rolling. Personally, I'd skip the Xbox and use a streamer especially if you want to use it for anything but casual playback.
Having tried a few options, and seen how clunky DNLA is, with various drops/jitters etc etc I'm coming to the same conclusion! Any suggestions for a simple unit aimed at allowing friendly/fast navigation of material held on a NAS?
post #5 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 03:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Xbox is a terrible player got nothing to do with DLNA.

Because the xbox has such crappy media support your limited to transcoding video and if you do a lot of fast navigation ffw/rwd then transcoding is a bad idea as the back end server is having to convert the media in real time which is a huge strain depending upon your server. Using homeplug/powerline adapters doesnt help either if the connection is poor.

What you could do is run the files through MKVtoMP4 with AAC audio enabled in the options, that should make Xbox play videos natively so server no longer transcodes content but your homeplugs might still be a bottleneck.

If it's not a network issue than replace it with more modern hardware like an Intel NUC running XBMC Openelec, good fast CPU and use the pulse eight adapter to make it work with your TV remote via HDMI-CEC.

Last edited by Alx330; 07-29-2014 at 03:39 AM.
post #6 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post
Xbox is a terrible player got nothing to do with DLNA.

Because the xbox has such crappy media support your limited to transcoding video and if you do a lot of fast navigation ffw/rwd then transcoding is a bad idea as the back end server is having to convert the media in real time which is a huge strain depending upon your server. Using homeplug/powerline adapters doesnt help either if the connection is poor.

What you could do is run the files through MKVtoMP4 with AAC audio enabled in the options, that should make Xbox play videos natively so server no longer transcodes content but your homeplugs might still be a bottleneck.

If it's not a network issue than replace it with more modern hardware like an Intel NUC running XBMC Openelec, good fast CPU and use the pulse eight adapter to make it work with your TV remote via HDMI-CEC.
I might just get an old Boxee Box and put BoxeeBox+ on it then...
post #7 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Why bother with boxee NUC is faster more capable and more stable, even the cheapest Celeron model. If your going to be doing a lot of ff/rwd then you want a fast CPU, not the old atom based thing that powers the Boxee.

If you really want to stick with the Xbox you need a PC server (with Core i3 or thereabouts CPU) running Mezzmo or Serviio DLNA server, those are two of the best. Does the Xbox WiFi adapter support 5Ghz wireless ? if your router does you might want to go down that path instead of homeplugs if the connection is still an issue.

Most consumer NAS do not have the power to properly transcode video in real time, Synology's Play series is an exception as it has a hardware transcoder built in.
post #8 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Why bother with boxee NUC is faster more capable and more stable, even the cheapest Celeron model. If your going to be doing a lot of ff/rwd then you want a fast CPU, not the old atom based thing that powers the Boxee.

If you really want to stick with the Xbox you need a PC server (with Core i3 or thereabouts CPU) running Mezzmo or Serviio DLNA server, those are two of the best. Does the Xbox WiFi adapter support 5Ghz wireless ? if your router does you might want to go down that path instead of homeplugs if the connection is still an issue.

Most consumer NAS do not have the power to properly transcode video in real time, Synology's Play series is an exception as it has a hardware transcoder built in.
^^ Fair enough... But a Boxee is turnkey and can be had for under £80.
post #9 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Celeron NUC doesn't cost much more with a tiny mSATA drive or USB stick running Openelec, you'll probably pay around £120 -£130 in total.

You can get it even cheaper via the Asus Chromebox which is the same unit but there is a little more work involved in installing Openelec.

You still have to hack a Boxee and it's not really turnkey any more. Plus NUC's arent like putting a PC together, you stick RAM, HDD/SSD or USB drive into it and turn it on, anyone reading this forum can do that.
post #10 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Celeron NUC doesn't cost much more with a tiny mSATA drive or USB stick running Openelec, you'll probably pay around £120 -£130 in total.

You can get it even cheaper via the Asus Chromebox which is the same unit but there is a little more work involved in installing Openelec.

You still have to hack a Boxee and it's not really turnkey any more. Plus NUC's arent like putting a PC together, you stick RAM, HDD/SSD or USB drive into it and turn it on, anyone reading this forum can do that.
OK interested, but surely Celeron NUC + memory + SSD + remote isn't going to be £130? Surely we're heading closer to £200?

I assume putting XMBC on the unit is just flashing a USB and booting off it?
post #11 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I echo everything that Alx330 is saying.

The Xbox will work, but I would only use it as the occasional streaming box and only with good Server software like Mezzmo, Serviio, etc. They will transcode incompatible files (which will be many) on the fly but requires the serving PCs CPU be powerful enough to transcode in real time, and while it's happening, you won't have things like FF/Rew.

Boxee works pretty well as does something like a WDTV Live but if you are ready to invest a little more, a Chromebox running XBMC is a great way to go and will stream more smoothly. The NUC is the other way to go but will be slightly more expensive since you have to add RAM and an HDD. The Chromebox has a built-in SSD, that while only 16GB, is pretty quick and if you set it up to direct boot into OpenELEC, you can be up and running in less than 5 seconds. The customization with XBMC is huge, too. You can dual boot the NUC/Chromebox or even run XBMC from the OS. I prefer the OpenELEC version that just installs from a Flash Drive and the just boots from the internal HDD straight into XBMC.

If you have the time and a little extra cash, you will not regret NUC or Chromebox running XBMC.

Last edited by smitbret; 07-29-2014 at 06:05 AM.
post #12 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
I echo everything that Alx330 is saying.

The Xbox will work, but I would only use it as the occasional streaming box and only with good Server software like Mezzmo, Serviio, etc. They will transcode incompatible files (which will be many) on the fly but requires the serving PCs CPU be powerful enough to transcode in real time, and while it's happening, you won't have things like FF/Rew.

Boxee works pretty well as does something like a WDTV Live but if you are ready to invest a little more, a Chromebox running XBMC is a great way to go and will stream more smoothly. The NUC is the other way to go but will be slightly more expensive since you have to add RAM and an HDD. The Chromebox has a built-in SSD, that while only 16GB, is pretty quick and if you set it up to direct boot into OpenELEC, you can be up and running in less than 5 seconds. The customization with XBMC is huge, too. You can dual boot the NUC/Chromebox or even run XBMC from the OS. I prefer the OpenELEC version that just installs from a Flash Drive and the just boots from the internal HDD straight into XBMC.

If you have the time and a little extra cash, you will not regret NUC or Chromebox running XBMC.
So are you able to point me to a good resource?

Surely the Chromebox would be the best/cheapest option for a simple XBMC?

Two questions:-
1) I need optical output, so could I just get a £10-20 USB sound card and use it for optical out?
2) A remote?

And I'd then be good to go?

Last edited by NeilF; 07-29-2014 at 06:18 AM.
post #13 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Optical out complicates things NUC's dont normally have those but you can buy HDMI audio extractors like this for £26. One other option is a USB sound card which have SPDIF optical out like this for £9 but I've no tried it personally, in theory it should work but the Openelec forums may know better.
Celeron NUC £103
RAM £16
You dont need to buy a mSATA drive you can run Openelec from a USB flash drive if you have one lying around. But if you want one here is a mSATA for £22.
Lastly a remote, get a cheap MCE remote for £10-15 or get the Pulse Eight CEC adapter (around £30) if your TV supports CEC and most should these days (edit forgot about audio extractor the PE CEC adapter may not work with that in place so you might be limited to MCE remote or use a tablet/phone to control XBMC).

So with extractor, NUC, RAM, MCE remote you're around the £160 mark, still cheaper than things like the Popcornhour and more capable.

It doesn't look like the Asus Chromebox is sold in the UK, all the prices on Amazon UK are very high import prices.

Another XBMC option with optical out is the Solidrun CuBox-i series a more powerful version of the Raspberry Pi, this has optical, IR and HDMI-CEC out of the box, all you do is buy the unit and a micro SD card, burn Openelec to SD card and then put in the box and turn it on. Get the i2 (dual core CPU) or the i4 (quad core CPU) model, the downsides are support for CuBox-i is still in alpha state and they make them in batches, due to high demand there is waiting time in getting one.

Last edited by Alx330; 07-29-2014 at 06:57 AM.
post #14 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Optical out complicates things NUC's dont normally have those but you can buy HDMI audio extractors like this for £26. One other option is a USB sound card which have SPDIF optical out like this for £9 but I've no tried it personally, in theory it should work but the Openelec forums may know better.
Celeron NUC £103
RAM £16
You dont need to buy a mSATA drive you can run Openelec from a USB flash drive if you have one lying around. But if you want one here is a mSATA for £22.
Lastly a remote, get a cheap MCE remote for £10-15 or get the Pulse Eight CEC adapter (around £30) if your TV supports CEC and most should these days (edit forgot about audio extractor the PE CEC adapter may not work with that in place so you might be limited to MCE remote or use a tablet/phone to control XBMC).

So with extractor, NUC, RAM, MCE remote you're around the £160 mark, still cheaper than things like the Popcornhour and more capable.

It doesn't look like the Asus Chromebox is sold in the UK, all the prices on Amazon UK are very high import prices.

Another XBMC option with optical out is the Solidrun CuBox-i series a more powerful version of the Raspberry Pi, this has optical, IR and HDMI-CEC out of the box, all you do is buy the unit and a micro SD card, burn Openelec to SD card and then put in the box and turn it on. Get the i2 (dual core CPU) or the i4 (quad core CPU) model, the downsides are support for CuBox-i is still in alpha state and they make them in batches, due to high demand there is waiting time in getting one.
So surely the latter makes the most sense? Buy the Solidrun CoBox-I4 one for $140 (+$20 postage) which means under £100. Buy a microsoft mce remote control, and a super fast SDRam card and voila!?

Last edited by NeilF; 07-29-2014 at 07:18 AM.
post #15 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF View Post
So surely the latter makes the most sense? Buy the Solidrun CoBox-I4 one for $140 (+$20 postage) which means under £100. Buy a microsoft mce remote control, and a super fast SDRam card and voila!?
That's tough. The Chromebox would be better as would an NUC since both have x86 CPUs that can software decode. But if they lack the connections.....

I don't know about the availability of the FireTV in the UK but I would start leaning that way at this point.

This is the first time I've run into the Solid Core but I would be skeptical. Clicking the Product link on SolidRun's own website takes you to a dead link. It looks like just another Android box to me. There's been a few come and go like this through the XBMC forums. They all have their fans and their detractors.
post #16 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
That's tough. The Chromebox would be better as would an NUC since both have x86 CPUs that can software decode. But if they lack the connections.....

I don't know about the availability of the FireTV in the UK but I would start leaning that way at this point.

This is the first time I've run into the Solid Core but I would be skeptical. Clicking the Product link on SolidRun's own website takes you to a dead link. It looks like just another Android box to me. There's been a few come and go like this through the XBMC forums. They all have their fans and their detractors.
I didn't think FireTv was very good with local (networked NAS) material (eg: MKV)? Which is my biggest requirement?
post #17 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Any suggestions for a simple unit aimed at allowing friendly/fast navigation of material held on a NAS?
I would try this guy... http://www.amazon.com/WD-TV-Media-Pl...s=wd+tv+stream

I wouldn't bother cracking a FireTV or some such as there are always trade-offs. I have used several NUCs with and without OpenELEC. A low-end unit with memory and a flash drive running OpenELEC would be my second choice. The WD offers wall art and very limited Themes so I don't really see the need for OpenELEC but you would have the ability to use various XBMC Add-ons (of which I don't).
post #18 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would try this guy... http://www.amazon.com/WD-TV-Media-Pl...s=wd+tv+stream

I wouldn't bother cracking a FireTV or some such as there are always trade-offs. I have used several NUCs with and without OpenELEC. A low-end unit with memory and a flash drive running OpenELEC would be my second choice. The WD offers wall art and very limited Themes so I don't really see the need for OpenELEC but you would have the ability to use various XBMC Add-ons (of which I don't).
Well, if we're getting back into that territory I would have thought a Boxee Box (Plus) would be the better option. Faster and more functional for local content.
post #19 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well, if we're getting back into that territory I would have thought a Boxee Box (Plus) would be the better option. Faster and more functional for local content.
It doesn't support HD Audio (without issue) at least back in the day I tried and wrote it off. Plus the vibrating case via the fan drove me nuts on a few units.

TrueHD and DTS-HD are not working yet (while DD/AC3 and DTS inside TrueHD and DTS-HD respectively works fine).
Some users have some sort of audio-drops when enable HDMI or SP/DIF pass-through.

Above via XBMC... never used Plus so I can't comment.

Boxee+ doesn't fix the audio blip AFAIK. - reportedly...

Last edited by Charles R; 07-29-2014 at 01:42 PM.
post #20 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It doesn't support HD Audio (without issue) at least back in the day I tried and wrote it off. Plus the vibrating case via the fan drove me nuts on a few units.

TrueHD and DTS-HD are not working yet (while DD/AC3 and DTS inside TrueHD and DTS-HD respectively works fine).
Some users have some sort of audio-drops when enable HDMI or SP/DIF pass-through.

Above via XBMC... never used Plus so I can't comment.

Boxee+ doesn't fix the audio blip AFAIK. - reportedly...
Thanks...

Not bothered with HD Audio as I generally use DTS so that shouldn't be a problem then? I would be outputting the audio over SPDIF to my amp!?
post #21 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks...

Not bothered with HD Audio as I generally use DTS so that shouldn't be a problem then? I would be outputting the audio over SPDIF to my amp!?
If you aren't dong HD audio the Xbox with Shark007 might hit the spot. Especially, if it's already in play for WMC or some such.
post #22 of 25 Old 07-30-2014, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you aren't dong HD audio the Xbox with Shark007 might hit the spot. Especially, if it's already in play for WMC or some such.
I've been down the Windows Media Center route with various fun and games for MKVs and then using DNLA via the XBox and it was not an impressive performance. Trying to FF or RWD generally meant the video would reset to the beginning etc.

I tried Universal Media Server too, and not really any better.

So I think the only answer is a dedicated Media Player...Hence the discussion(s) above. Just a question of which to get!
post #23 of 25 Old 07-30-2014, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If seeking to play mkv's is all you need, then you can't go wrong with the affordable WDTV Live, Best Buy price matches Amazon sold products.

Sent from my HTC One_M8
post #24 of 25 Old 07-30-2014, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmedrano1977 View Post
If seeking to play mkv's is all you need, then you can't go wrong with the affordable WDTV Live, Best Buy price matches Amazon sold products.

Sent from my HTC One_M8
I heard the interface was kinda laggy?

What attracts me to the BoxeeBox is it's a step towards XBMC with a nice slick/friendly interface to navigate your local (NAS) media.quickly.

I get the impression with the WDTV you'd need to navigate yourself over to the nav, and through folders etc etc. Using a somewhat slow interface?
post #25 of 25 Old 07-30-2014, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Yes WDTV Live has slower UI in comparison.

If you can wait for it then you would like the Solidrun CuBox-i it comes close to the experience of running XBMC on a NUC with it running XBMC at 1080p@60fps but as I said software is still in alpha state, when it hits beta that would be when to jump on board and then there are the delays in shipping you could be looking at 1-2 months before you get it.

The hardware the CuBox-i uses (Freescale iMX6) is also in another XBMC project the Ezeecube which might also be available at the end of this year.

The NUC plus the HDMI audio extractor should deliver everything you want, I think thats really the way to go instead.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page