Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-29-2014, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
help with streaming movies on computer to TV

Hey all,

I'm a bit of a noob at this...so bear with me.

I have a new panasonic st60 and had everything hooked up wirelessly on my network and could access my files through my blu ray sony menu to watch movies from my laptop onto my tv (I could aslo access them from my DLNA on the tv)

However, now I can't. I am wondering if getting netflix and blockless.com (changes DNS to allow for american netflix) would have messed everything up as I cannot for the life of me get this working again).

Nothing has been changed in terms of sharing priveliges on the computer.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have a laptop with windows 7 on it.

Thanks,
Dave

Anything bigger than a handful, you're risking a sprained tongue - Gary, Weird Science
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-30-2014, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Install Mezzmo or Seviio on the laptop, add in folders to be scanned for media then try accessing either of those servers via DLNA.

Your Netflix/blockless stuff shouldn't affect it as DLNA is your local network, if by chance you have installed a software firewall (or new anti-virus package) somewhere on the network that might be blocking the DLNA traffic.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-30-2014, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post
Install Mezzmo or Seviio on the laptop, add in folders to be scanned for media then try accessing either of those servers via DLNA.

Your Netflix/blockless stuff shouldn't affect it as DLNA is your local network, if by chance you have installed a software firewall (or new anti-virus package) somewhere on the network that might be blocking the DLNA traffic.

OK i'll try that.

It's weird because I could access the folders on my laptop by the DLNA on the TV and my laptop was recognized as part of the network when using my sony blu ray player. Now neither of them work.

We did just get our cable provider to hook everything back up as we had an issue with a tree taking out our wires.

With them resetting and reinstalling things, would that have changed anything?

Like I said, I don't know too much on this but you are saying changing the DNS on the laptop and blu ray player won't have any affect if I didn't do the same thing on the tv (I run netflix through my laptop or blu ray but not directly through the tv). Do I have to change the tv DNS to the same thing?

thanks again
dave

Anything bigger than a handful, you're risking a sprained tongue - Gary, Weird Science
post #4 of 5 Old 07-31-2014, 03:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
DLNA is local like sharing a network share with another PC, your Internet side of the network shouldn't be affecting it unless your absolutely certain DLNA stopped working the moment you started using those workarounds to get USA Netflix. I've used such smart DNS systems before and they usually dont break DLNA.

But It doesn't hurt to try adding the custom DNS into the smart TV and see what happens.

If you were using the built in Windows media player DLNA server any number of things can disable that.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-01-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Are you sure the DLNA service is running on your laptop? It's called Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. Check under Services to make sure it is active. Enable it in Windows Media Player if not.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page