post #31 of 42 Old 08-06-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvr4Craig View Post
That's the trouble with BB is that he's convinced "wireless GOOD, wired BAD".
Craig
Not true at all.
More than 1/2 of my home network is hard wired. All of my receivers, my streamers, etc. Everything which needs a heavy duty connection is hard wired. This just shows you how much you listen.

The difference between you and me is that I know what can be wireless and what can't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 08-07-2014, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I personally like the idea of running 2 Cat 6s per room vs 1, if you think you might ever make use of a separate internal network for media, security, home automation, etc.
post #33 of 42 Old 08-08-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvr4Craig View Post
That's the trouble with BB is that he's convinced "wireless GOOD, wired BAD". He rejects any facts that don't fit his predetermined world view and will argue endlessly. However, his arguments boil down to: "I'm right because you can't convince me I'm wrong". Unfortunately, a tonne of his crap is now out there leading unsuspecting folks down his particular path of stupid.

Craig
Sounds about right. Didn't he already hijack another of OP's threads with the same garbage? That's right, he did!
Wiring House? How many outlets for each room?

There, facts!
djjoshuad likes this.
post #34 of 42 Old 08-08-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
I personally like the idea of running 2 Cat 6s per room vs 1, if you think you might ever make use of a separate internal network for media, security, home automation, etc.
I might even go a step farther and run two cables per drop. it's cheap and easy insurance against a cable failing down the road. Easily overcome if you're using conduit, but it's even easier if the cable is already in the wall .
post #35 of 42 Old 08-08-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trab37 View Post
Sounds about right. Didn't he already hijack another of OP's threads with the same garbage? That's right, he did!
Wiring House? How many outlets for each room?

There, facts!
You can't even follow posts correctly, can you.
Why don't you put the blame where the blame it is properly due. I gave my opinion... Which I am allowed to do. That information was meant for the OP and he is allowed the opportunity to consider it.... or dismiss it. Instead we get this post in number #6 :
================================================== =====
Originally Posted by bigbarney
Personally speaking, I think that's drastic overkill that will cost you a small fortune and most of it won't get used at all.

[bad advice deleted...]

Do we need to do this again, BB? The OP is building a new house. There will never be a better time to do wiring and do it right. It does not cost a fortune and, although his plan isn't that easy to understand, it does not appear to be overkill for a large house.

Wireless networking is really convenient for mobile devices. It sucks rocks for security and speed.

And, really, wireless security devices? Who wants to have to keep changing those batteries?

Craig
(I think BB has microwaved his brain with too much wireless!)

================================================== =======

I didn't highjack this thread.... YOU people did. Your post number 33 is a perfect example..... totally unnecessary and serves no purpose whatsoever other than to inflame. Be men and stand up and take responsibility for your own actions.

Last edited by bigbarney; 08-08-2014 at 02:54 PM.
post #36 of 42 Old 08-08-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Oh, I am so sorry I forgot to tag the exact post that caused the derailment of that thread, so, so sorry, there were just too many to choose from. Yes, of course, we are all wrong and you are infallible. Why should people ask these questions at all when they can just look up all the wonderful advice you give? You are more than welcome to your opinion, but you tend to state it as fact and bash anyone else who has a differing viewpoint or gives a credible reason in opposition to your statement. You demand facts, but refuse to look them up. When people post links you still thell them they're wrong. The only links I've seen you post are from Wikipedia; nothing from Cisco, TIA, IEEE, you know, the people that set the standards. Feel free to give all the advice you want, but don't crap all over someone else's opinion because it is different. Could they sometimes be more tactful in their response? Sure, but so can you. It is a disservice to everyone to have these threads devolve into this and your flippant responses don't help; in fact I think that is why everyone jumps on you to begin with. Hell, that's why I posted in a thread I had no intention to before; I thought djjoshuad had some pretty good insight and opinions and you jumped all over him. I do find the whole thing pretty hilarious though, so keep up the good work.
post #37 of 42 Old 08-08-2014, 03:24 PM

it's all good man, I don't think anyone actually puts much stock into what BB says anyway. I'm fully confident in my experience and ability, and I wouldn't give advice if I wasn't confident that the advice was sound. One guy who clearly has an axe to grind isn't going to dissuade me one bit . It's like he's convinced that the sky is orange. We all know it is blue, we can prove it's blue and we can point to facts that state *why* it's blue... but he is trying his heart out to make a case for orange.

If anything, this thread has given me some good ideas for interview questions to ask of prospective employees. So I guess good can come from BB's posts, after all.

Last edited by djjoshuad; 08-08-2014 at 03:37 PM.
post #38 of 42 Old 08-08-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trab37 View Post
You are more than welcome to your opinion, .
Correct.
Please remember that for the next time and we won't have these hassles
post #39 of 42 Old 08-08-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjoshuad View Post
I don't think anyone actually puts much stock into what BB says anyway.
Maybe, maybe not, but the idea of these threads and posts is to compile ideas for the op, and others who wish to read. Some of those ideas are good and some of them not, and there will always be disagreement on who's idea is better/worse, but at the end of the day we are all better for them. You would be better served trying to grasp this.
post #40 of 42 Old 08-08-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post
Maybe, maybe not, but the idea of these threads and posts is to compile ideas for the op, and others who wish to read. Some of those ideas are good and some of them not, and there will always be disagreement on who's idea is better/worse, but at the end of the day we are all better for them. You would be better served trying to grasp this.
oh, the irony. Even if this were about a difference of opinion instead of you simply refusing to accept fact, you are the only one who has been belligerent in his insisting that the other side is wrong. It's laughable to take the position you have, and then instruct others on how they should be more tolerant of conflicting views. This whole time you've refused to look at real, solid information. You have called people names and called into question their integrity. You've made a royal arse of yourself for two pages... then you try to take the "high road" and say "hey guys let's all just respect each other's opinons, okay?" LOL.

At the end of the day, what you see as your opinion is actually just wrong information. You think that because you chose something to deploy to your hapless victims...er, customers... that it simply has to be a secure solution. In reality, I could show up to any of those sites and compromise those systems you installed without breaking a sweat. And I'm not special in this regard. If you truly care about providing a secure solution then call someone to do an unbiased penetration test and see what they come up with. Then argue with *them* about how there's no way they could have so easily broken in and *they* must be the liars. See how that goes over for you.
post #41 of 42 Old 08-08-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjoshuad View Post
oh, the irony. Even if this were about a difference of opinion instead of you simply refusing to accept fact, you are the only one who has been belligerent in his insisting that the other side is wrong. It's laughable to take the position you have, and then instruct others on how they should be more tolerant of conflicting views. This whole time you've refused to look at real, solid information. You have called people names and called into question their integrity. You've made a royal arse of yourself for two pages... then you try to take the "high road" and say "hey guys let's all just respect each other's opinons, okay?" LOL.

At the end of the day, what you see as your opinion is actually just wrong information. You think that because you chose something to deploy to your hapless victims...er, customers... that it simply has to be a secure solution. In reality, I could show up to any of those sites and compromise those systems you installed without breaking a sweat. And I'm not special in this regard. If you truly care about providing a secure solution then call someone to do an unbiased penetration test and see what they come up with. Then argue with *them* about how there's no way they could have so easily broken in and *they* must be the liars. See how that goes over for you.
You done with your thread highjacking... or would you like to go on?
post #42 of 42 Old 08-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Too much bickering...thread closed.

OP is free to try starting a new thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page