Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-31-2014, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Network Audio player Oppo 95 VS Best option under $1500

So I've had my Oppo 95 for a few years and it's use is no only regulated to being a DLNA audio steamer. So I'm thinking maybe it's time to look at a dedicated audio streamer as Ilike the oppo but it has a few quirks.

Things about the Oppo I do not like are

TV is required to be on in order to navigate my DLNA server
Interface is clunky and a little slow
Tagged Audio Meta Data and Cover are is not pulled over

Now the most important thing is sound quality and I'm using the stereo analog audio outputs of the Oppo and Ilike the sound quality of the Oppo but wondering is a dedicated unit could provide better sound quality.

My DLNA setup is I use assett UPNP to transcode all my lossless audio to .wav, and my oppo is picking this up on my Wifi network. This has worked well for the last few years but I want to investigate dedicated solutions. I have alot of 24Bit (^k audio so the player would need to handle that.

So my needs are

1. Better Sound quality than the Oppo
2. Audio file readout on the unit itself so the TV does not need to be on
3. Able to play 24Bit 96K audio
4. I would prefer to have a uni with some sort of oversampling or DSD resampling built in.

If I sold my oppo looks like I could still get 5-600$ for it which is a good value I'd use towards the dedicated audio player.

Any recommendations that fits these needs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-01-2014, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone? Basically I want a network audio streamer as good or better than an oppo95
post #3 of 9 Old 08-01-2014, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hi

Most of the latest network audio players rely on handheld device (iPad/tablet/smartphone) rather than built-in display, which of course is also used to control the device (using a UPnP/DLNA control point app).

If you can live with this then the Auralic Aries music streamer at $999 should cover your 1-4 needs (and much more), though you still have to get an external DAC since it doesn't have one built in (has async USB out as well as S/PDIF and you can connect either a DSD or PCM DAC).

John
post #4 of 9 Old 08-02-2014, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
To cover 1., I would go with a dedicated DAC. Then you can play with streamers to your hearts delight, such as the one Cebolla recommends.
2&3 I think Squeezebox Touch would do that and has a very nice interface.
4. I don't know. Beyond my level of technical expertise.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-04-2014, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Auralic Aries looks interesting thanks for the info, not really interested in a separate DAC, I'd just let my Lexicon Processor handle that then and just use toslink out for it to my lexicon. I would be interested in a DSD dac down the line any recommendations for a good DSD dac that would also convert PCM to DSD for this purpose?

I'll need to wait till they release some windows variant of their remote control software I'm not an apple guy and Have several Win 8 tablets that could easily handle the remote duties of it.

Last edited by swanlee; 08-04-2014 at 06:04 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-04-2014, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Yes, of course, no reason why the 'external DAC' can't be the DAC input of kit like your Lexicon Processor - it doesn't have to be a standalone dedicated DAC box.

AFAIK there aren't any standalone DSD DACs that convert PCM to DSD. I know of one relatively expensive ($2k+) device that converts PCM to DSD, but it has no internal DSD DAC. Your cheapest bet is to to find a UPnP/DLNA server that can transcode (convert on the fly while streaming) PCM to DSD, or convert the files manually. It's possible you can use JRiver or Foobar2000 as a PCM to DSD transcoder.

No need to wait for the Windows version of the supplied iPad app (Lightning DS), since the Aries fully supports both standard UPnP/DLNA streaming as well as OpenHome Media (ohMedia), aka UPnP with Linn extensions. So you should be be able to use third party control points like Kinsky, JRiver, Foobar2000 (with the foo_UPnP plugin), etc, to control the streaming of the Aries under Windows. You should even be able to install an Android emulator like BlueStacks on Windows and run the excellent BubbleUPnP controller app.

Last edited by Cebolla; 08-04-2014 at 11:41 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Might I suggest a Sonos feeding a high quality DAC?

I am an audiophile and sound quality is very important. Still my best source is my high end CD player or HD Tracks through a PC to my DAC but the Sonos Connect through my DAC is very nice. (I actually listen to it more then anything else) And the UI with any device is the best. Plus you can buy 1 Connect for $350 and have money left to buy a good DAC.

I know the newer Oppo's have the ability to use its DAC with external sources. Not sure about the 95.

Bob Silver
NETGEAR Networking Consultant
post #8 of 9 Old 08-06-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post
Might I suggest a Sonos feeding a high quality DAC?

I am an audiophile and sound quality is very important. Still my best source is my high end CD player or HD Tracks through a PC to my DAC but the Sonos Connect through my DAC is very nice. (I actually listen to it more then anything else) And the UI with any device is the best. Plus you can buy 1 Connect for $350 and have money left to buy a good DAC.

I know the newer Oppo's have the ability to use its DAC with external sources. Not sure about the 95.

Bob Silver
NETGEAR Networking Consultant

He said (in requirement 3) that he wants ability to play back 24/96. So, that's not an option.

B.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-07-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Were you wanting multi-channel or stereo only?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page