Streaming Netflix 5.1 audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-01-2014, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Streaming Netflix 5.1 audio

Hey everyone, I've spent about an hour googling and searching AVS without luck on this issue, was hoping someone out there might have some ideas.

I'm trying to stream Netflix with 5.1 audio. Regular stereo works fine. I have two options to access Netflix, a Vizio Co-star and my Samsung BD-5800 player. Both are connected to HDMI on my Denon 1912 AVR then via HDMI to my LG TV. When streaming 5.1 content, the Denon says it is receiving PCM 2.0 stereo.

On the BD-5800, My options for audio out are PCM and Bitstream. Neither option changes how the Denon "sees" the audio input. Of note, I can get 5.1 out of the BD5800 if I'm playing a Bluray disc.

On the Vizio Co-star, my options for audio out are PCM and Auto. Again, Neither option changes how the Denon sees the audio input and it reports that it is receiving PCM 2.0 regardless.

I tried switching HDMI ports without success. I've also tried tinkering with the Denon settings. I have it set to Auto surround on and then cycled through the input mode from Auto to PCM to DTS, but still no luck. If I change to DTS, it tries to force the audio into Dolby, but no sound actually comes out and on the audio input it says the audio is "unknown"

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-01-2014, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
First, not all Netflix titles are DD+, so make sure you're choosing one that has it. Second, make sure you're selecting the DD+ track from within the Netflix app - even with DD+ titles, you can still choose a 2.0 track. Third, I'd keep them on Bitstream and Auto.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-02-2014, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, yes I did make sure to select a 5.1 title and that it was set to output that on the app. Bitstream/auto didn't work using the Samsung. The Co-star doesn't specifically call the audio out "bitstream", it calls it "auto" as well, but neither setting was effective.
post #4 of 14 Old 08-03-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwinches View Post
Hey everyone, I've spent about an hour googling and searching AVS without luck on this issue, was hoping someone out there might have some ideas.

I'm trying to stream Netflix with 5.1 audio. Regular stereo works fine. I have two options to access Netflix, a Vizio Co-star and my Samsung BD-5800 player. Both are connected to HDMI on my Denon 1912 AVR then via HDMI to my LG TV. When streaming 5.1 content, the Denon says it is receiving PCM 2.0 stereo.

On the BD-5800, My options for audio out are PCM and Bitstream. Neither option changes how the Denon "sees" the audio input. Of note, I can get 5.1 out of the BD5800 if I'm playing a Bluray disc.

On the Vizio Co-star, my options for audio out are PCM and Auto. Again, Neither option changes how the Denon sees the audio input and it reports that it is receiving PCM 2.0 regardless.

I tried switching HDMI ports without success. I've also tried tinkering with the Denon settings. I have it set to Auto surround on and then cycled through the input mode from Auto to PCM to DTS, but still no luck. If I change to DTS, it tries to force the audio into Dolby, but no sound actually comes out and on the audio input it says the audio is "unknown"

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.
I'm having a hard time finding any information on your Samsung BD-5800 Blu-ray player. Are you in the U.S.?

The Vizio Co-Star has been basically abandoned by Vizio. My daughter uses her Denon 1712 AVR via HDMI without issue with both the Roku 3 and Apple TV 3 for DD and DD+ sound from Netflix.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #5 of 14 Old 08-03-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I'm US. Sorry, I have the BD E-5900. Been looking through the manual which says that set to bitstream, everything should be read by the receiver as the native audio. Also found this netflix page saying it should stream 5.1 just fine.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/500

This page from netflix says the same about the co-star

https://help.netflix.com/article/en/...lick&q=co-star

Was wondering if I needed to change something on the Denon since neither input is streaming 5.1
post #6 of 14 Old 08-04-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It was my understanding that the CoStar doesn't do 5.1. That was the deciding factor for me between the CoStar and the Sony NSZ-GS7. The GS7 streams 5.1 DD just fine from Netflix. That chart off the Netflix site clearly says that it should work though.

Try this. Got it from googletvforum.org

On the CoStar remote press [V] button > select settings > Audio > HDMI Audio Out > PCM
post #7 of 14 Old 08-04-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Yes, I'm US. Sorry, I have the BD E-5900. Been looking through the manual which says that set to bitstream, everything should be read by the receiver as the native audio. Also found this netflix page saying it should stream 5.1 just fine.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/500

This page from netflix says the same about the co-star

https://help.netflix.com/article/en/...lick&q=co-star

Was wondering if I needed to change something on the Denon since neither input is streaming 5.1
It really seems like it's a setting issue on your Denon AVR-1912. On page 86 of the owner's manual do you have the sound being output to the TV rather than the AMP? If it's set to TV that may be why you are hearing stereo with the Bitstream setting.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #8 of 14 Old 08-04-2014, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. I dug up that menu. It was already set to AMP. I changed it to TV to see what happened, and, as expected, it routed the sound through the TV speakers, so I switched it back. Also tried using the Amazon video app on the Co-star to see if it was a netflix specific issue, but I got the same result. Denon continues to report it is detecting 2.0 input.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-04-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I dug up that menu. It was already set to AMP. I changed it to TV to see what happened, and, as expected, it routed the sound through the TV speakers, so I switched it back. Also tried using the Amazon video app on the Co-star to see if it was a netflix specific issue, but I got the same result. Denon continues to report it is detecting 2.0 input.
Do your particular apps actually provide 5.1 sound rather than only 2.0? The app actually indicates something is offered in 5.1? One of my bluray players didn't provide 5.1 in its app whereas my other two do.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #10 of 14 Old 08-04-2014, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

I was wondering that, because the Bluray is sending 5.1 fine from a disc, just not from the app. That said, Amazon on the Costar as well as Netflix on both the Costar and the Bluray all say they are sending 5.1. That, and the Netflix help pages indicate that both devices are capable of streaming 5.1
post #11 of 14 Old 08-04-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

How about checking in on the official thread for your avr just in case?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #12 of 14 Old 08-05-2014, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Can do, thanks. Didn't want to be a bother with multiple/cross posting but I'll ask over in the Denon threads.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-05-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Can do, thanks. Didn't want to be a bother with multiple/cross posting but I'll ask over in the Denon threads.
Can you switch in a source (say from a friend or something) that has no issues streaming 5.1 and test the Denon that way? Or put your sources into someone else's system?

post #14 of 14 Old 08-05-2014, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, good thought. Unfortunately, no one around has the equipment to borrow.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread - BD-5800 by PriceGrabber.com