Denon X2000 Spotify App? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2014, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Denon X2000 Spotify App?

Hey guys so I just purchased a x2000 and also purchased a WiFi extender to get the internet capabilities. I signed up for spotify after reading that it has the highest quality streaming. I downloaded it to my PC and it worked great liked the app and I was excited. Once I hooked up the Denon and ran the app it looked like an app for a Macintosh. It was terrible. My question is, am I able to hook up my pc/tablet to the denon via WiFi. Under media servers I do see it picking up my tablet and pc but I can't figure out how to get the pc/tablet to stream it to the denon. Not sure if I need an app for the pc but I can't stand the app on the denon. Another choice I have is connecting the tablet to the denon via usb to hdmi but I don't know if it would work and if it would lose quality. I would like to keep it wireless cuz of the convenience but I don't want my friends to see the denon app since its pretty bad. Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
You can connect your PC to your AVR via HDMI. You won't be able to stream Spotify wireless.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Old 08-02-2014, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hi Drivermacias,

Looks like you need to capture the sound of the PC/tablet when playing back from Spotify (or anything else, for that matter) and stream that over the wireless network to the Denon. The free Stream What You Hear (SWYH) UPnP/DLNA server does exactly that on a Windows computer, providing an up to CD quality 16 bit/44.1 kHz WAV file stream (so ideal for bit perfect capture of Spotify to network stream to the Denon) as well as a lower quality MP3 file one for streamers that don't support WAV files. See:
http://www.streamwhatyouhear.com/features/

By the way Qobuz provides an even higher quality internet music streaming service than Spotify does, since it can stream up to CD quality. It also has a music file download service with even higher resolutions. Unfortunately, it's not yet available to the US.

John

Last edited by Cebolla; 08-02-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post
Hi Drivermacias,

Looks like you need to capture the sound of the PC/tablet when playing back from Spotify (or anything else, for that matter) and stream that over the wireless network to the Denon. The free Stream What You Hear (SWYH) UPnP/DLNA server does exactly that on a Windows computer, providing an up to CD quality 16 bit/44.1 kHz WAV file stream (so ideal for bit perfect capture of Spotify to network stream to the Denon) as well as a lower quality MP3 file one for streamers that don't support WAV files. See:
http://www.streamwhatyouhear.com/features/

By the way Qobuz provides an even higher quality internet music streaming service than Spotify does, since it can stream up to CD quality. It also has a music file download service with even higher resolutions. Unfortunately, it's not yet available to the US.

John
Thanks for the response John, worked well with the PC but on the tablet not so much. Reason is because if the short delay I get sounds on both the tablet and denond. If I mute/lower volume on tablet the volume muted/lowers on the denon as well. I guess my best option for the tablet is going to be usb to hdmi connection.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:13 PM

That's a shame about the Windows tablet. Don't own one, so don't know if the sound mixer on them behaving as you describe is a standard feature . What make/model is it?

Just had a thought. You might be able to trick sound mixer into playing the source at full volume, but cut off the speakers by connecting a headphone, if it has the socket.

Last edited by Cebolla; 08-02-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post
That's a shame about the Windows tablet. Don't own one, so don't know if the sound mixer on them behaving as you describe is a standard feature What make/model is it?

Just had a thought. You might be able to trick sound mixer into playing the source at full volume, but cut off the speakers by connecting a dummy plug, if it has a headphone socket.
It's an Asus running Windows 8. The problem with the sound is that I can't adjust it manually, if I move one volume down they all move, sucks! It does have a headphone jack and that's a great idea.

If I had to go this other way, hdmi (from receiver) to usb (to tablet since tablet doesn't have hdmi) would I pick up sound that way from the receiver? The tablet also has mini usb which I could go mini usb to hdmi, what would give better sound and would it actually work?

Last question, I can run spotify from my PC (in bedroom) to receiver (living room) via swyh, which is a hassle going back and forth but if this is the only only I guess I will, since spotify plays at 320, am I going to get the same quality when streaming from swyh to receiver?
Old 08-02-2014, 02:27 PM

Can't really say about the audio HDMI to USB - sounds pretty tricky, if not impossible.

The PC to receiver distance as such won't affect the sound quality. You just need a decent enough wireless coverage in your home to avoid drop outs/disconnects.

You could save yourself going back and forth by using a handheld running VNC application to remote control the Windows computer. I believe there are even apps for iOS and Android that are supposed to be able to remote control Spotify directly on the computer (requires some sort of helper software running on it too).
Old 08-30-2014, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed on the specs for the Denons that carry Spotify it says that a premium subscription is required. Do you have to have the premium to utilize Spotify on the receiver ?
Old 08-30-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGNdad View Post
I noticed on the specs for the Denons that carry Spotify it says that a premium subscription is required. Do you have to have the premium to utilize Spotify on the receiver ?
Yes I do have premium, just that the app on there sucks, I've adjusted and had to set a Playlist on the computer then load it on the receiver, which defeats the purpose, there isn't even an option to see if it's playing at the higher bitrate

Gear in this thread - X2000 by PriceGrabber.com