Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #31 of 45 Old 08-07-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 446
He liked your comment. He didn't like mine. Go figure.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 08-07-2014, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 2261
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
He liked your comment. He didn't like mine. Go figure.

"Exactly what do you mean by rich detail? Obviously if a movie is shot sharp with good pulled focus, there will be detail to the extent possible by the resolution of the source frame and then the display. But what makes it rich detail?"

"no one seems when viewing the same movie in a commercial theater and then at home say via blu ray to even notice the wider P3 color space of the movie (assuming its digital) vs the much narrower in the yellow direction of rec 709."
I used the term rich detail to indicate that the movie was not blurry, or grainy, and overall looked like a decent 1080p presentation.

I've never brought a TV into a movie theater to see how different the yellows look in a side-by side. However, my Samsung Galaxy S4 (OLED) usually looks better than a movie screen, judged strictly in terms of color and contrast and ignoring size. Based on my experience, that's what it would take to really see the difference. That said, I do hope that rec. 709 gets replaced by a wider color space—sooner rather than later. Expanded color gamut is one of the key reasons Dolby Vision looked so good at CES.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 45 Old 08-07-2014, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
The polar bear at the end was a bit much, but I enjoyed some elements of the film—namely the visual elements.
Thanks a LOT! Now I'm going to watch the whole movie dreading a bad scene with a polar bear. Thanks a LOT.

imagic likes this.
post #34 of 45 Old 08-07-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Obviously, you can't bring a plasma into a commercial theater, but I have seen several DCI machines in homr theater use. You would be surprised how many more colors there are from a DCI feed through a DCI server compared to the same movie feed via a blu ray player into either a rec 709 panel or the DCI machine obviously only respoding to the rec 709 coded colors.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #35 of 45 Old 08-07-2014, 11:37 AM

I can't wait for Rec 2020 to be standardized. I've got a bunch of Atari 2600 games I'm dying to try out on the wider gamut.
post #36 of 45 Old 08-07-2014, 11:38 AM

I know Yar's Revenge will look SO GOOD
post #37 of 45 Old 08-07-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Based on what I saw in the theater, the cinematographer intentionally clipped blacks in many scenes. I do see that iTunes clips the blacks even more.
Having seen it in a theater I would agree with that.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #38 of 45 Old 08-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Sounds about right, where did you read this? The articles I read painted a different picture, like Harvey was being a visionary or something. It did seem odd that a $40 million (budget) movie that already made $80 million abroad was getting that kind of treatment.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/movi...fmJ/story.html
post #39 of 45 Old 08-08-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Wow. This review was about the comparison between a theatrical showing and a streamed showing, since the movie was made available simultaneously.

The theater was not great since the movie is independent and not backed by big bucks.

No bluray comparison is there as far as I can see. So why the bluray drama? Of course bluray is better than streaming, but in this case, it was not available and had nothing to do with this comparison, which was interesting.
Because people can't resist getting on their Blu-ray high horses even when it has nothing to do with the review.

I was going to see this in the theater until I found out it was going to be available to purchase on VUDU at the same time. I opted for the VUDU $24 purchase price versus the 3 ($8) movie tickets I was going to buy. It's a worthy addition to my VUDU collection but it's a movie that is not for everyone.

I have over 450 Blu-ray movies in my collection so I don't need anyone to tell me about BR quality. Blu-ray mastering is like anything else, some are excellent and others can be mediocre to poor.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #40 of 45 Old 08-08-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Sounds about right, where did you read this? The articles I read painted a different picture, like Harvey was being a visionary or something. It did seem odd that a $40 million (budget) movie that already made $80 million abroad was getting that kind of treatment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
So let me get this straight (actually liking this if true).

A strange film gets made by an innovative director who has a burgeoning reputation. It's a real science fiction movie that has meaning, heavy (too heavy?) action and doesn't fit the Transformer model (I love Transformers, don't get me wrong).

It's meant for theatrical distribution. When heavy handed studio executive gets a hold of it, he insists that it be edited down by 20 minutes. The edited version tests worse than the original with audiences. Studio exec insists, director refuses.

Heavy handed studio director decides to cut director's wings, geld him and destroy the movie. He thinks.

So he hands it to his multimedia (streaming, VOD, etc.) division. He also has it handed to a tiny (100) number of art houses around the US. But a funny thing happens in that by handing it to multimedia outlets, he has in fact widened its distribution and it's making money.

So now, in art houses (Brattle Theater would be mine), in streaming outlets, and eventually on bluray if I like it, I and a much wider audience can watch this. As the director wanted it seen.

I love irony, and have to say that if having streaming as an outlet can bypass and marginalize the Weinsteins of the world, I'm there.

Sounds like a very interesting movie, if I like it and the PQ reviews are good on the bluray, I'll be buying it there as well.

Here's where I tie it to the topic - if the delivered stream version quality is better or equivalent to the art house version, that promotes more people supporting this movie.
imagic and tenthplanet like this.
post #41 of 45 Old 08-09-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Was this movie only displayed in 2k (HD) at the cinema? Maybe it was shot that way. I feel sorry for anyone who says their home theater beats their local cinema. They are missing out on what should be a better viewing experience- 4K with less compression, greater color depth and very big screen. Then the sound is way better than I'm willing to pay for. I take that chasing cinema quality money and go to the movies. I want to help keep them in business. My local cinemas are top notch.
post #42 of 45 Old 08-11-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Was this movie only displayed in 2k (HD) at the cinema? Maybe it was shot that way. I feel sorry for anyone who says their home theater beats their local cinema. They are missing out on what should be a better viewing experience- 4K with less compression, greater color depth and very big screen. Then the sound is way better than I'm willing to pay for. I take that chasing cinema quality money and go to the movies. I want to help keep them in business. My local cinemas are top notch.
The gist of this thread is that Snowpiercer had a very limited theatrical release in the U.S. and that only a relatively few people had the opportunity to see this film in a theater. The people who had no theatrical access to this movie could view it at home. This was a very unique situation for a film to be in.

You're fortunate to have quality cinemas at your location, that's not always the case.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #43 of 45 Old 08-15-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Good ol' Harvey Scissorhands:

http://grantland.com/features/does-h...p-hurt-movies/

Looky here!
post #44 of 45 Old 08-18-2014, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
I feel sorry for anyone who says their home theater beats their local cinema.
How on earth is that a bad thing? Granted, while it may be expensive to get a projector set-up that can truly rival a good cinema screen (let's not forget that while their screens may be vastly larger, it's perspective, not overall size that truly matters), getting a sound system that can compete with a cinema is not really all that hard, in terms of quality of SPL. And if you're a bass head, there's absolutely no way a cinema can compete with what you can do at home, for relatively cheap. Pretty much any decent, large DIY sub will beat the pants off even what a local IMAX theater can do, down deep at least. Theaters just have far too much cubic space to adequately pressurize for those ultra low frequencies.
post #45 of 45 Old 08-18-2014, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 2261
Quote:
I disagree, and I feel the opposite: I feel bad for anyone whose home theater doesn't beat a movie theater—especially when it comes to sound but also for image quality. It's amazing what rec. 709 1080p can do if you take proper care, and UHD/4K projection at home is already a reality.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page