Does something like this exist??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2014, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does something like this exist???

My TV doesn't have picture-in-picture. I want to play my PS4 and be able to do something like, watch a sports event and play a sports game on my PS4 at the same time on the same screen.

Is there is a streaming media device that has an HDMI-in that will allow me to:

- Connect my PS4 to it

- Play the PS4 in one picture

- Watch a stream in a second picture

Also, is there anything that would allow to me input my TV antenna as a source?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 64
so you basically want your ps4 to do what the xbox one does?

And no I have never herd of any device
Old 08-09-2014, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
so you basically want your ps4 to do what the xbox one does?
Yes, but only that one thing. I can live without the other stuff, like gaming in 720p and 900p, and 30 frames per second...

Quote:
And no I have never herd of any device
Have you ever pack of any device?
Old 08-09-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

that was not to start a jab. Most sony games dont even play at 1080p/30 either http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS...and_Framerates its pretty even. both consoles have been a disappointment in that area but dont use it as a jab when sony suffers the same as well. they both promised 1080/60 with not coming close to games that matter and then 1080/30 again with both not being able to deliver on that either for high end triple A titles.

Again there is no device out there for hdmi to do this.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Actually that's not really true.
There is no real cheap answer, that's for sure, but I have one of these little babies. (It's actually a switcher for cameras with HDMI and that's what I use it for, but it will work for most hdmi video products). It works quite well.

You could probably find cheaper, simpler alternatives. All you really need is a hdmi capable switcher and they are out there.

Last edited by bigbarney; 08-09-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
that was not to start a jab. Most sony games dont even play at 1080p/30 either http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS...and_Framerates its pretty even. both consoles have been a disappointment in that area but dont use it as a jab when sony suffers the same as well. they both promised 1080/60 with not coming close to games that matter and then 1080/30 again with both not being able to deliver on that either for high end triple A titles.

I didn't take it as a jab, I was just fool'in

I'm not happy with some things about PS4. I think the UI could be better. The fact that you can't pause and schedule downloads is a disaster, especially for people like me playing on a lower speed connection. PS4 sucks for media besides Sony-made stuff. The voice commands are paltry. It's certainly not perfect.

Looking at that list though, the XBOX-One's res and rate issues have a lot more red than PS4's side...
Old 08-09-2014, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post
There is no real cheap answer, that's for sure, but I have one of these little babies. (It's actually a switcher for cameras with HDMI but it will work for most hdmi video products). I'm works quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ0gOKlkqSg

You could probably find cheaper, simpler alternatives. All you really need is a hdmi capable switcher and they are out there.
Ahhh. Good idea!
Old 08-09-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There is no real cheap answer, that's for sure, but I have one of these little babies. (It's actually a switcher for cameras with HDMI and that's what I use it for, but it will work for most hdmi video products). It works quite well.

Does something like that support HDCP I know I have seen them for cameras and home security. But none of them ever say if it support HDCP and what not. As seems the main applications are always security. But looking in the high end forum seems people do run them in home theater applications. To rich for my blood as all the units they post are 1500$-17k I wonder if you can pick which audio stream you get
Old 08-09-2014, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Does something like that support HDCP I know I have seen them for cameras and home security. But none of them ever say if it support HDCP and what not. As seems the main applications are always security. But looking in the high end forum seems people do run them in home theater applications. To rich for my blood as all the units they post are 1500$-17k I wonder if you can pick which audio stream you get
Good questions. I'm looking @ this cheapie, but for the dirt cheap price I have doubts it will do what I'm looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Intell.../dp/B00ITGA80Y

I'm still reading through the reviews.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Arghhh. Looks like the PIP on that Amazon one is really tiny and can't be resized.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Does something like that support HDCP t
No. The black magic is not hdcp compliant. You would have to convert any hdcp enabled equipment to component. (Component strips off the hdcp encryption).

I doubt this is the way you would want to go anyway. The BM is far more than what you need. I only used it as an example. But you can find smaller, less complicated switchers around.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
No. The black magic is not hdcp compliant. You would have to convert any hdcp enabled equipment to component. (Component strips off the hdcp encryption).

I doubt this is the way you would want to go anyway. The BM is far more than what you need. I only used it as an example. But you can find smaller, less complicated switchers around.
Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Intell.../dp/B00ITGA80Y (Google is your friend)
Old 08-10-2014, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like there is nothing in a reasonable price range that works well enough. Most of what I see gives you too small a PIP window and/or you can't re-size it or do side-by-side, only the expensive studio switchers seem to do that.

Oh well. I wonder what it would take for Sony to introduce a device to handle this?
Old 08-12-2014, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd honestly just buy another smaller tv and use that if it is really important. As others have mentioned there really is no cheap option for this. I know crestron can do this but it is not cheap.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

I'm looking into just getting a Vita. Sucks though, my brother had one and sold it recently. He told me if he knew I'd wanted it he would've just given it to me free, smh. Arrrgh, timing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement