Recommend a network switch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 08-10-2014, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Recommend a network switch

Can you guys recommend a good network switch that I can rack mount?
I'm looking at this one but lots of people are saying it runs very warm which is concerning as it's going in the rack along with lots of other AV..... http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-24-Port-Rackmount-1000Mbps/dp/B0002CWPW2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407715363&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=hawking+hgs5t
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-10-2014, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 21
have a look at TP-Link for another option. I like them a lot and the ones I have do not run very warm. Of course, your rack should have plenty of airflow regardless of which switch you go with. That many devices crammed in such close quarters requires a plan for getting rid of the heat. The common way to do it is to have cold air supplied to the bottom and front of the rack and to pull hot out from the top of the back of the rack.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-10-2014, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 594
For switches, I would recommend the netgear stuff. So far they have been the most reliable for me.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old 08-10-2014, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Also look at the Cisco SG200 and SG300 series

- Jeff

WTB: PSA XS15 or XS15se, PM me.

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Marantz SR7008, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
post #5 of 19 Old 08-11-2014, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I have a Netgear Switch and a lot of other stuff in my attic. It gets quite hot up there in the summer, the stuff been up there for years and the heat doesn't seem to affect it.

Don't know what I was thinking when I did this. I wish I had located it downstairs. Sometimes, say when there is a power failure, I have to climb up there and reset everything in a sequence. Getting old to be climbing.

Keeping electronics cool is important. When summer is over, I plan on relocating everything downstairs.

Bottom line, if that Netgear been working all these years in that heat, I would recommend their equipment. Don't know the model no., 24 port. It also has a option to rack mount.
shophiataylor likes this.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #6 of 19 Old 08-11-2014, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
HP makes great stuff.

HP-Procurve-1410-24G-Switch-J9561
post #7 of 19 Old 08-11-2014, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Good to hear some,of you have found the netgear ok...thanks for the help
post #8 of 19 Old 08-11-2014, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I've been a huge fan of Netgear for many year but have been very disappointed with some of their newer switches. Over the last year or so I bought one of their 24 Port Switches (GS724T) as well as the same switch in the POE Version (GS724TP) and to my surprise they were so different and gave me a lot of issues configuration wise. Both of them would randomly reboot once every few weeks. I contacted Netgear and they admitted that the software was totally different due to different manufactures of the hardware and they didn't see them matching up anytime soon. The POE one was returned and the other one is just sitting on a shelf gathering dust.

These switches are both managed and maybe a little overkill for what you are looking for but would strongly suggest getting some kind of Managed / Smart switch which will give you the ability to see what is going on in your network and help you troubleshoot things if / when something isn't working quite right.

After a lot of research I bit the bullet and bought a Cisco Small Business Switch SG300-28P which is their POE version but they have a non POE Version that is much cheaper. I can not tell you how happy I am with them as well as their price tag. They come with lifetime warranties just like the Netgear and have been rock solid since the day I installed them. The only time they've rebooted is when I updated the firmware.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-11-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have 3 switches (unmanaged)... 2 four ports and a 16 port... all D link

The 16 port is the dgs 1016a. Nice switch.. no complaints. I like it because the ports are on the back while the lights are on the front. I can see the 10/100/1G lights while NOT staring at a spaghetti mess of wires.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-11-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post
I have 3 switches (unmanaged)... 2 four ports and a 16 port... all D link

The 16 port is the dgs 1016a. Nice switch.. no complaints. I like it because the ports are on the back while the lights are on the front. I can see the 10/100/1G lights while NOT staring at a spaghetti mess of wires.
But if you rack mount the switch the rear ports could be an issue?
post #11 of 19 Old 08-11-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
But if you rack mount the switch the rear ports could be an issue?
True. It's not a good switch for rack mount (which I obviously don't do). My 16 port sits right on top of my AVR.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukichon View Post
Can you guys recommend a good network switch that I can rack mount?
I'm looking at this one but lots of people are saying it runs very warm which is concerning as it's going in the rack along with lots of other AV..... http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAF...=hawking+hgs5t
The Netgear Prosafe switches are designed for rack mounting and carry lifetime warranties. The older switches did get a little warm but the newer ones not much. I have 3 gs108 and 1 gs116 prosafe switches in my home and no issues.

The design again is for rack mounts with the connections and lights in the front with power connections in the back.

For a description on switch types here is an intro piece I wrote Network switch types. Are there differences?

I would suggest the Netgear Plus switches. They have the key control elements that advanced home users will value. The 24 port model is JFS524E http://cl.netgear.com/business/produ...s/JFS524E.aspx

Bob Silver
NETGEAR Networking Consultant
post #13 of 19 Old 08-12-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I've used Netgear switches for many years with no issues at all (never had a failure). Attached is our home network which I created some time ago when we 'cut the cable' and started streaming everything. Some of the switches have been running for over 5 years non-stop. I highly recommend them and have used them at friends and family's homes also. There are many brands out there to choose from, many good switches. But IMO, you can't go wrong with the Netgear models.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boucher Ethernet 8-8-2014.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	209265  

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #14 of 19 Old 08-12-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I like your network setup. One cat per room with a switch. Simple and easy!
post #15 of 19 Old 08-12-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I have a very similar setup but went one step further with the Netgear GS108Tv2 Switches that have a POE Port so I power them through my uplink connection and don't have to worry about power for them. Works great =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
I've used Netgear switches for many years with no issues at all (never had a failure). Attached is our home network which I created some time ago when we 'cut the cable' and started streaming everything. Some of the switches have been running for over 5 years non-stop. I highly recommend them and have used them at friends and family's homes also. There are many brands out there to choose from, many good switches. But IMO, you can't go wrong with the Netgear models.
I am curious what you used to generate your network diagram.
post #16 of 19 Old 08-12-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, I wanted to keep it simple and easy to diagnose should problems occur.
post #17 of 19 Old 08-12-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have a very similar setup but went one step further with the Netgear GS108Tv2 Switches that have a POE Port so I power them through my uplink connection and don't have to worry about power for them. Works great =)

I am curious what you used to generate your network diagram.
I'm going to have to try POE. Does it only work with primary equipment attached to original POE devices or also daisy chained pieces down the line?

For drawings like this, I use SmartDraw. But, you can use any type of similar program. It's the competitor to Visio, but my preference is SmartDraw.
post #18 of 19 Old 08-12-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
I'm going to have to try POE. Does it only work with primary equipment attached to original POE devices or also daisy chained pieces down the line?

The way I have mine set up is my primary switch is a Cisco SG300-28P and from there I have Netgear GS108Tv2 Switches in my my entertainment center and bedroom. I also have the wall plate mounted HP / 3Com NJ2000 which are also POE smart switches. This has worked flawlessly since the day I installed them.

I did mention it before but want to mention it again that the Netgear POE Switches are NOT ready for prime time (in my opinion) I originally bought one and had nothing but trouble with it even with their own switches uplinked to it. Don't even get me started on VLAN Compatibility. According to Netgear their POE Switches are made by someone else and have different firmware because of that. Granted its been well over a year so maybe they've addressed that?

POE will only power the first upstream device and will not provide power to other devices connected to that upstream device. For example I can connect 28 devices (say cameras) to my main switch all of which can be POE. Say on port #1 I have a Netgear GS108Tv2 switch connected to it / getting power from it. I can't connect a POE Camera to that Netgear switch and get power from it.

Hopefully that makes sense.

For drawings like this, I use SmartDraw. But, you can use any type of similar program. It's the competitor to Visio, but my preference is SmartDraw.
Thanks, it looks like a really near application and its certainly cheaper than Visio but way more then I would want to spend for home use.
post #19 of 19 Old 08-12-2014, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, it looks like a really near application and its certainly cheaper than Visio but way more then I would want to spend for home use.
Thanks a lot for clearing up the POE questions, makes total sense. At the moment, I really don't need POE, but may be interested in the future.

Yes, SmartDraw is not that cheap. I actually have the pro/enterprise version (which is a bit more than Visio), but had done a LOT of work from home, so got my own copy. I used both in my work place (had both Visio and SmartDraw on the same machine) and always preferred SmartDraw. There has to be some other affordable 'like' programs out there. You can also simply use a product like Word.

For simple drawings like the one I posted, it's actually fairly quick to put together. If you want to go through the trouble of getting all your equipment pictures (cleanest possible) and do a quick sketch, I'd be happy to through it together (no charge). Just PM me. I'd give you both the .sdr file (so it can be edited by anyone with SmartDraw) and the converted .jpeg (but can't be edited of course - unless you have a program like Photoshop, then you can simply treat like any picture and edit) - other formats are tif, gif, png, emf, bmp, and htm.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread - SG200 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page