post #1 of 31 Old 08-12-2014, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ripping check point: Feedback welcomed!

Hi,

I've ripped about 30 DVD's so far and I'm pretty happy with the results. I've been using AnyDvdHD + CloneDVD to rip a 100% quality movie, with just the movie, English audio and English subtitles. I decided to do a folder rip, which will ultimately be stored on a NAS and served to my primary home theater. I have also been successful in using Handbrake to encode a few movies for itunes/ipad/ipod viewing.

I noticed that when I rip only with anydvdhd that it stores the rip in folders, with a dvdid.xml file. so: C:\rips\GLADIATOR\TS_VIDEO. It then drops a gladiator.dvdid.xml in the gladiator folder.

CloneDVD does not create a dvdid.xml file at all, makes a TS_AUDIO folder that is always blank and only creates a "title" folder if you type that name into the save location each and every time.

I have about 700 more DVD's to go before I start on TV Shows and then finally Blurays.

For the DVD's:
  1. Do I need or want a dvdid.xml file if I'm not using Windows Media Player?
  2. Does the title of the folder have anything to do with later sorting of movies? The_Hangover vs Hangover...
  3. Will Media Players like WDLive, Popcorn, Dune do their own scraping and tagging, or is this something I should be planning now?

As far as regrets go, are there any others things I should be considering or planning at this time from past experiences?

thanks, as always...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 08-12-2014, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 59
1. as far as I know only windows media player uses it
2. yes and no. Some scrape engines are better then others. If the movie is titled the hangover. then you would want it to be the hangover. if you want to get even fancier include the year in the folder name so something like the_hangover_(2010) would give pretty much any scrap engine the perfect match.
3. yes some will do there own scrapping mede8er and popcorn hour are the only ones with internal scrappers. wdtv and dune you need pc software to make the jukebox but they all function the same way.

My only thought is why are you sticking with video_ts folders they are dead format for the most part. If you are just doing main movie and one sub and one audio track. Move to mkv or mp4 single file type containers much cleaner and gives you more freedom.

You can use makemkv for single click ripping of both dvd and bluray movies for mkv or use handbrake for mp4 files
Aryn Ravenlocke likes this.
post #3 of 31 Old 08-12-2014, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

thanks for the advice. The year is a good idea too. Will the folder name I give it have any influence on the sorting later on, or is that task performed on the jukebox/scrapers result? In our example of The Hangover, if my folder name is THE_HANGOVER_2010, and Zapitti or Popcorn or whatever finds the movie in their database, will it file the movie under "H", which it should, or in "T" because that's how I named it?

As far as MKV, that does sound cleaner, but with Handbrake I haven't had much success in getting a 1:1 copy of the movie and identifying and isolating the English Audio and subtitles. It always seems to encode and shrink, even when I select "High Profile". I'll play around with it a little more, maybe check out MakeMKV as well.

On the subtitles, I really only need the "forced" subtitles, I don't need the full English subtitles. Not too sure on how that works either...

Last edited by RockysDad; 08-13-2014 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Added "Handbrake" as the program I was using for MKV...
post #4 of 31 Old 08-13-2014, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Every Scrapper App uses their own source for their information, I have a Mede8er as well as use Plex and I find that IMDB, themoviedb.org and TheTVDB.com are the go to websites to get the information right.

Putting the year in makes a lot of sense now as there can always be another version of the same movie that comes out and most scrappers will default to the newest one. An example is The Day The Earth Stood Still, I have both versions so I have them listed as The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951) and The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008).

Most Scrapper (in my experience) are ok with leaving the word "The" out of the title in MOST cases but there are some exceptions. If I have any question I would check one of the databases and make sure it comes up without it or just scrap it and see if it worked =)

Oh and if you have the title with the underscore that can cause some issues with some scrappers and could also prevent the "The" from being dropped as well.

I have been ripping my collection for many years and went with the old Video_TS. Once I started using Plex I had no choice but to change formats as Plex doesn't recognize the Video_TS format as well as many other common ones like ISO. After various testing and research I ended up going with MKV Files and have been very happy with the quality. MKV is really just a "Wrapper" for existing video so converting from say the video_ts format is very quick depending on your system / network / drives.

To create my MKV Files I use MakeMKV as well as DVD Fab which has a "Pass through" option so you get the full quality / no compression. When it comes to Blu-Ray depending on the movie (say chick flick compared to something visually appealing like Lord of the Rings) I will down-res to 720P through DVD Fab to reduce the file size and it still looks great on my 55" TV.

Once you get to ripping your TV Series you will need to adopt a different Naming Convention. I was ripping them in a single file so I didn't have all of the individual episodes which I was ok with but now with Plex I like having the individual episodes. For Plex as well as Mede8er the naming convention goes like using the series 24 as an example this First the following Folders:
TV Shows
--> 24
--> Season 01
Then the actual file name will be 24 S01E01.mkv. The S01E01 means Season 1 / Episode 01 and again DVD Fab does a great job at ripping episodes but so does MakeMKV but find that once in a while some episodes don't show up.

If you get in the habit of putting your files in the proper folder structure you will have a much easier time if / when you change players.
post #5 of 31 Old 08-13-2014, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

That makes sense. Probably a good idea to go with a MKV file. I downloaded MakeMKV and it actually did what I wanted. A straight copy from the VOB files to a MKV file with the options of excluding the stuff I don't want. Here are my results for anyone interested:

(1) An original rip of The Hangover (2009) DVD is 7.49gb (AnyDVDHd rip to TS folders) ~20 minutes
(2) An original rip while removing the Fullscreen and extras is 3gb (AnyDVD + CloneDVD2 to TS folders) ~15 minutes
(3) Handbrake with High Profile and RF 20 = 1.2gb (Handbrake encoding of (2)) ~25 mins
(4) Handbrake with High Profile and RF 19 = 1.4gb (Handbrake encoding of (2)) ~36mins
(5) MakeMkv conversion of (1) is 3gb (MakeMKV of (1) with same options as (2)) ~3 mins

On the folder structure, am I correct in assuming that it is good practice to keep each MKV file in it's own folder?

Movies would be: "c:\movies\The Hangover 2009\The Hangover 2009.mkv"
And then TV shows would be: "c:\TV Shows\24\Season 01\S01E01.mkv thru S01E24.mkv"

When the jukebox/scraper pulls the info from the internet, does it store it in a separate file in the folder or do these video's use embedded tags like the audio rips?
post #6 of 31 Old 08-13-2014, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysDad View Post
On the folder structure, am I correct in assuming that it is good practice to keep each MKV file in it's own folder?

Movies would be: "c:\movies\The Hangover 2009\The Hangover 2009.mkv"
And then TV shows would be: "c:\TV Shows\24\Season 01\S01E01.mkv thru S01E24.mkv"

When the jukebox/scraper pulls the info from the internet, does it store it in a separate file in the folder or do these video's use embedded tags like the audio rips?
You don't have to use separate folders, some people put all of their movies in a single folder and it will work just find but can be a pain to keep track of. I personally like to put every single movie in its old folder exactly like you said c:\Movies\The Hangover (2009).mkv and TV Shows would be c:\TV Shows\24\Season 01\24 S01E01.mkv. You did pickup on the fact that TV Series the whole season will go in a single folder.

Couple of things, in my experience the Year has to be in the parenthesis like (2009) and with the TV Shows you need the name of the show as well like 24 S01E01.mkv.

As for where this information is stored depends on your scrapper / player. For example the Mede8er needs Write Access to all of the files as it will populate it with all of the information it needs like cover art and descriptions. Plex on the other hand keeps a database and does NOT need write access to the folders. There are pluses and minuses to this - Mede8er doesn't have to go through and scan every single file / folder each time, it will only look for changes and do those where Plex will scan every single folder looking for changes but still seems to go very quickly.

In the case of Mede8er where the information in stored in the folder if you happen to make a mistake in the name, say a Typo then you will have to go in and delete the XML file that it created otherwise it will just skip it. Plex you just need to correct the mistake and rescan and it will pick it up.

The stand alone scrapper apps I've seen will place the information in the folders as well.

So back to the separate folders - Imagine having say 1000 movies and each movie having several files each. This is why I go with separate folders but again you don't have to =)

Also worth mentioning is some of the players now are offering extra content like Trailers and Behind the Scenes clips. Mede8er has this in their latest Beta Firmware which will probably go prime time soon. Plex added this to their latest version. I haven't played with the Mede8er one yet but I believe it downloads these items in to the folder where Plex pulls it right off the web / is not stored locally.
post #7 of 31 Old 08-13-2014, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

ok. thanks for the advice! This is the type of stuff I needed to know that I wasn't getting from the basic guides and internet searches. I want to get it down on the first 30 rips so the next 700-800 go smoothly...

thanks again!

I'll look into Plex and Mede8er as well. Sounds like some decent stuff. I like Zapitti too, but I am not reading good things about Dune's future for the player and don't really want to build a HTPC either.
post #8 of 31 Old 08-13-2014, 03:54 AM

Quote:
ok. thanks for the advice! This is the type of stuff I needed to know that I wasn't getting from the basic guides and internet searches. I want to get it down on the first 30 rips so the next 700-800 go smoothly...

thanks again!

I'll look into Plex and Mede8er as well. Sounds like some decent stuff. I like Zapitti too, but I am not reading good things about Dune's future for the player and don't really want to build a HTPC either.
Trust me I know, I wish that someone would have told me not to rip my movies in the VIDEO_TS Format back then but it served me well for so many years and is easy to convert so it is just a time thing / nothing lost.

You mentioned that you've converted some of your files down for use on your iPad / iPhone? Well with Plex you won't have to do that if streaming the content is ok. There is an option to download the content as well but I haven't had much luck with that / haven't really had a need to. Plex will take a full Resolution Blu-Ray and down convert on the fly for whatever device you are watching it on. It has a great interface, is very easy to set up BUT can be quite the processor hog if you are doing multiple streams and the system it resides on has to be on all the time (or at least when you want to stream something). You can actually use Plex for playing on your TV as well but would need some kind of a device / system that supports it.

I have my Mede8er and a Micca Player for my TV's and Plex to for my portable devices. They can certainly be used simultaneously and their scrappers don't interfere with each other at all.
post #9 of 31 Old 08-13-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
If you are just doing main movie and one sub and one audio track. Move to mkv or mp4 single file type containers much cleaner and gives you more freedom.
I rip all my DVD to DVD.iso so I can get full menu functionality, chapter skip and subtitles -- very useful for TV episode disks where I absolutely don't want to rip single episodes. It's also pretty darn fast.

I'm curious about DVD movies to MKV so a couple questions if you don't mind:
You say the resulting MKV contains the subtitle track? -- true?
Does the MKV keep the chapter points for chapter skipping?
If starting from a VIDEO_TS folder rip, is there something other than MakeMKV that can be used? -- how about MKV Merge?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #10 of 31 Old 08-13-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I rip all my DVD to DVD.iso so I can get full menu functionality, chapter skip and subtitles -- very useful for TV episode disks where I absolutely don't want to rip single episodes. It's also pretty darn fast.

I'm curious about DVD movies to MKV so a couple questions if you don't mind:
You say the resulting MKV contains the subtitle track? -- true?
Does the MKV keep the chapter points for chapter skipping?
If starting from a VIDEO_TS folder rip, is there something other than MakeMKV that can be used? -- how about MKV Merge?

Yes mkv container can contain as many subtitles as you want to include same for audio tracks.
Yes makemkv will keep chapters.
Yes mkvmerge can be used mkvmerge is the base for almost any program out there that deals with mkv. its just more DIY if you go the mkvmerge route.

All mkv does is take the video/audio/subtitles and stick it inside a container there is no encoding to be done.

As for tv episodes I would still go mkv and keep chapters to jump to each episode. Sadly when MKV was first announced there was a menu system but in the end it got dropped and never finished.

Going mkv can also give you some nifty options like ordered chapters and segment linking and editions. Things like editions allow a person to say combine two different versions of a movie in one container so you want the unrated version and the theatrical release in one container you use editions and it will keep the same parts of both movies not taking up double space and you can choose which you want to watch. Again sadly not very many players support these advanced options outside of software based halli splitter.
post #11 of 31 Old 08-17-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I rip all my DVD to DVD.iso so I can get full menu functionality, chapter skip and subtitles -- very useful for TV episode disks
Quote:
Yes mkv container can contain as many subtitles as you want to include same for audio tracks.
Yes makemkv will keep chapters.
Yes mkvmerge can be used mkvmerge is the base for almost any program out there that deals with mkv. its just more DIY if you go the mkvmerge route.

All mkv does is take the video/audio/subtitles and stick it inside a container there is no encoding to be done.
As a result of this response I got interested in playing with MakeMKV and DVD's. My ultimate goal is to take a DVD title and convert it to .m2ts containing video stream, audio stream, subtitle stream. This has not been as easy as it might seem -- the fly in the ointment has been the subtitle track. The VOB container of DVD contains video/audio but not subtitles. Those, along with chapter skip points are contained in the .ifo file. Every app or conversion utility I've tried only pulls out the A/V streams and puts them in the .m2ts container and ignores the subtitle track. I've never been able to build an .m2ts from a DVD that contains the subtitle track. So upon reading your post I thought to take the route of using MakeMKV to create an MKV file that contained DVD video/audio/subtitle then convert the MKV to .m2ts.

MakeMKV worked very nicely to create the MKV from a DVD title that contained video/audio/subtitle. Unfortunately, converting the MKV to .m2ts was not so nice.
First I opened the MKV in TSMuxer -- TSMuxer recognized the video/audio tracks and then issued an error for the subtitle track and ignored it. Strike 1.
Then I opened the MKV with Clown_BD -- Clown immediately issued an error message that the subtitle conversion was not supported and exited. Strike 2.

Does anyone know of any other utilities that can successfully take an MKV with video/audio/subtitle streams and convert to .m2ts containing those three streams.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #12 of 31 Old 08-17-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Try splitting up the process a little still not sure why you want to go m2ts rather then just keep it mkv.

But make your mkv use mkvextract to remove the subtitle track then add the mkv and the subtitle track outside of the container into tsmuxer it should work that way.
post #13 of 31 Old 08-17-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Try splitting up the process a little still not sure why you want to go m2ts rather then just keep it mkv.

But make your mkv use mkvextract to remove the subtitle track then add the mkv and the subtitle track outside of the container into tsmuxer it should work that way.
Thanks, I'll try using MKVextract and see how that goes. I don't have these issues if I try the same thing with converting a BD.MKV to .m2ts using Clown_BD. It appears the root cause is the subtitle format (VOBSUB) of the DVD subs. Neither TSMuxer nor EAC3TO (Clown_BD) can handle them in the MKV. I may need to do a little more research.

I want them as .m2ts because I want the option of authoring them as BDMV. I can't do that with MKV files the way I'm authoring.

- kelson h

post #14 of 31 Old 08-17-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

OK, we can scrap all this with MakeMKV. I found a very small program (4MB) that does exactly what I want and takes a DVD and converts it into a BDMV. It converts the subs to PGS and puts them in the .m2ts. I can simply pull out the .m2ts files and I have what I want.

- kelson h

post #15 of 31 Old 08-18-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
OK, we can scrap all this with MakeMKV. I found a very small program (4MB) that does exactly what I want and takes a DVD and converts it into a BDMV. It converts the subs to PGS and puts them in the .m2ts. I can simply pull out the .m2ts files and I have what I want.
And it's called...

Quote:
the fly in the ointment has been the subtitle track. The VOB container of DVD contains video/audio but not subtitles. Those, along with chapter skip points are contained in the .ifo file.
What makes you say that? Of course the sub file (aka bitmaps) is stored inside the VOB. My Matrix DVDs main movie VOB has a 141 KB IFO and the smallest sub stream is 3.4 MB.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #16 of 31 Old 08-18-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
And it's called...
DVDtoBD Express
It is a 1-click program that is very simple to use. It is stand-alone and does not require the installation of any 3rd party helper apps. Specify input and output folders and click GO -- no options to set. It converts a full DVD to BD format in about 10 min on my system. I'm only interested in pulling out the .m2ts file for each title but out of curiosity I burned the BDMV structure to a BD-RE and put it in my player. The entire DVD menu system was converted to BD and appeared to work just fine. While this is cute, I'm not sure I see a use for it since it's not like you can take a couple DVD and merge them into a single BDMV structure with merged menus.

However the crux of what I am after -- converting the DVD video/audio/subtitle streams into an .m2ts container, which also means converting the subtitles from VOBSUB to PGS -- is done very nicely by this little program. I can then take all those .m2ts files and re-author into BDMV and fit a whole TV series season on a single BD-R DL.

Quote:
What makes you say that? Of course the sub file (aka bitmaps) is stored inside the VOB.
You know, it's been so long since I read that somewhere that I can't remember where. I never gave much thought to the size of the .ifo file because none of the utilities I ever used back in my heavy DVD authoring days would let me include the subtitles when directly accessing the VOB files -- only when accessing the .ifo files. Obviously, now that I look at it you are right -- the VOBSUB bitmap images are stored in the VOB file.

I'm having fun so I'll continue to play and learn. This has already given me an excuse to install and play with MakeMKV; it now also gives me an excuse to install and play with Handbrake -- something I never would have done if only concerned with BluRay.

- kelson h

post #17 of 31 Old 08-18-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I know you prefer m2ts over MKV but why not rip the main movie from BD to ISO and be done with it? Yes, the padding of the format will take up a bit more space but given it's DVD, it's negligible.

Tech Flaws
post #18 of 31 Old 08-19-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I know you prefer m2ts over MKV but why not rip the main movie from BD to ISO and be done with it? Yes, the padding of the format will take up a bit more space but given it's DVD, it's negligible.
I don't quite understand your comment. My goal was to convert DVD .VOB to .m2ts so I could author the once-DVD titles to BDMV. This is simple to do with many apps as long as you only want the video/audio streams. Including a subtitle stream has always been the difficult part as all the apps I had used simply ignored it -- the VOBSUB needed to be converted to PGS.

So to clarify, my desired endpoint is to take a DVD of TV episodes and extract the individual episodes to individual .m2ts files that include a subtitle stream so I can essentially package an entire season as a 50GB BDMV structure. This little DVDtoBD Express program does exactly that with no fuss.

- kelson h

post #19 of 31 Old 08-20-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess I'm just wondering why you need that format rather than using a data BD with MPEG or ISOs on it.

Tech Flaws
post #20 of 31 Old 08-20-2014, 10:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I guess I'm just wondering why you need that format rather than using a data BD with MPEG or ISOs on it.
So I can burn the resulting BDMV structure to BD-R if desired and the resulting disk can be played in a BD player. My player won't play a data disk.

- kelson h

post #21 of 31 Old 08-21-2014, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Right, so todays BD players cannot play media files from a data disc? I could burn AVIs, MP4s, MPGs to a DVD-R and play them via filebrowser on my Philips 6230.

Tech Flaws
post #22 of 31 Old 08-21-2014, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Right, so todays BD players cannot play media files from a data disc? I could burn AVIs, MP4s, MPGs to a DVD-R and play them via filebrowser on my Philips 6230.
Just like dvd players... some do, some don't.
Data disc ability is not part of the blue ray spec (or dvd spec for that matter) so it is not standard across the board on all machines. Some of the better ones have it while most of the cheapy's don't. For this reason, if you create a data disc you are not guarantied it will work on all machines in the same way as you are a BDMV (which of course is part of the blu ray spec).
post #23 of 31 Old 08-21-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^
Same goes for all the other features one finds in a BD player. Some have DLNA and/or Plex clients and some don't; some have Netflix and stream Internet channels and some don't. The only thing one can be assured of with a BD player is that it will play a properly authored BDMV structure and that means .m2ts files.

But going back to my previous post, using DVDtoBD Express to convert DVD titles to .m2ts including subtitles makes the process very simple.

- kelson h

post #24 of 31 Old 08-21-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post
Some of the better ones have it while most of the cheapy's don't.
My experience with DVD players was the other way round: players from Sony or Panasonice couldn't be bothered to play such stuff, but Cyberhomes e.g. could already play AVI with external VobSubs. Of course I'm not at all surprised that some things just done seem to change on that front...

Tech Flaws
post #25 of 31 Old 08-23-2014, 12:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
My experience with DVD players was the other way round: players from Sony or Panasonice couldn't be bothered to play such stuff, but Cyberhomes e.g. could already play AVI with external VobSubs. Of course I'm not at all surprised that some things just done seem to change on that front...
Your comments prompted me to take a closer look at what my BD player can do (Panasonic DMP BD-75; circa 2011; last Panasonic player to be made without Cinavia). I burned a couple MKV files to a BD-RE as a data disk and stuck it in the player. Much to my surprise it loaded the disk and displayed a file navigator listing the MKV titles. I could select a title and play it. Well, that expands things.

Thank you for your comments, you have done me a service.

- kelson h

post #26 of 31 Old 08-23-2014, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

You're welcome.

Tech Flaws
post #27 of 31 Old 08-26-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

@funhouse69 : Do you bother to organize your collections in a sub-folder or just let the media player scraper handle it?

i.e.:

movies\Batman - Dark Knight Collection\Batman Begins (20XX)\
movies\Batman - Dark Knight Collection\The Dark Knight (20XX)\
movies\Batman - Dark Knight Collection\The Dark Knight Rises (20XX)\

I know that xbmc will/can create a movie set and list the 3 movies as a collection, without a special folder structure, but the folder organization is helpful in managing the files at the windows explorer level.

While on the subject of folder structure, how do you deal with "The" in the title? I've found that imdb finds \The Hangover (20XX)\ just as easy as \Hangover, The (20xx). The latter will list the folder in the H's in Windows Explorer. Again, I realize that xbmc does not care and will properly file the movie under "H", it's just with all this ripping I'm doing a little extra organization goes a long way.

thanks,

Lance
post #28 of 31 Old 08-27-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
@funhouse69 : Do you bother to organize your collections in a sub-folder or just let the media player scraper handle it?

i.e.:

movies\Batman - Dark Knight Collection\Batman Begins (20XX)\
movies\Batman - Dark Knight Collection\The Dark Knight (20XX)\
movies\Batman - Dark Knight Collection\The Dark Knight Rises (20XX)\

I know that xbmc will/can create a movie set and list the 3 movies as a collection, without a special folder structure, but the folder organization is helpful in managing the files at the windows explorer level.

While on the subject of folder structure, how do you deal with "The" in the title? I've found that imdb finds \The Hangover (20XX)\ just as easy as \Hangover, The (20xx). The latter will list the folder in the H's in Windows Explorer. Again, I realize that xbmc does not care and will properly file the movie under "H", it's just with all this ripping I'm doing a little extra organization goes a long way.

thanks,

Lance
No I don't bother using sub-folder for collections of movies but you certainly can and it won't be an issue with the scrapper. It does however help to put the year in the file name otherwise they might not show up in the proper order.

I thought we talked about "The" in the title, I've found that for the most part you can leave it out, I've had it be an issue with a few movies but it is rare. Some players will show the movies without the The even if its in the title but that isn't consistent.

Plex will NOT show all of the "The"'s I have 50 movies in one folder that has "The" in the title and only a few of the show up with The in the title and some of them or some of them will show up in the section of the next word for example "The Air I breath" shows up in my "A's"
post #29 of 31 Old 08-27-2014, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
No I don't bother using sub-folder for collections of movies but you certainly can and it won't be an issue with the scrapper. It does however help to put the year in the file name otherwise they might not show up in the proper order.

I thought we talked about "The" in the title, I've found that for the most part you can leave it out, I've had it be an issue with a few movies but it is rare. Some players will show the movies without the The even if its in the title but that isn't consistent.

Plex will NOT show all of the "The"'s I have 50 movies in one folder that has "The" in the title and only a few of the show up with The in the title and some of them or some of them will show up in the section of the next word for example "The Air I breath" shows up in my "A's"
I've been using the year in the folder and movie file. My example above is misleading in that I didn't know the year of the Batman movies off-hand so I just put (20XX). I pretty much lookup the title at IMDB and use that as my naming.

We did talk about "The", I guess this was more of a follow up. I've been using "The" at the beginning of the filename every time, I just wasn't sure if the "folder name" without it was going to mess me up later. Probably best just to leave it on in case I switch media players down the road.
post #30 of 31 Old 08-27-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Most scrapers do not scrap anything with folder names unless its a BDMV then it uses the folder name most scrap engines go off file name. Folder naming is more for your management. Also most scrape engines have options for ignoring The/A whatever else you want to add they are usually adjustable for sort order as some people like them to start with The or A and some people dont.

Last edited by halfelite; 08-27-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page