An interesting charge mode-- what do you think of the membreship of VidOn Box ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 08-13-2014, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
An interesting charge mode-- what do you think of the membreship of VidOn Box ?

Anybody has heard of VidOn Box? It said that it can provide outstanding service except for its hardware, such as the famous Bluray Menu Navegation, so I was keeping an eye on its notice. And nowadays, it has published the price.

For the hardware the price is amazing $49, but this price is bundled with another sum of money, the price of advanced service, which they call it as membreship. The price for membreship for each month is $1.99, and if you want to get the Box, you should buy at least a membreship of 12 months. Thus we will totally cost $72.88 to buy the Box. And after the first year, you can determin to renew the membreship or not.

I'm interested in the charge mode. It's not like the traditional one-shot deal as we always do in the hardware dealing. The company seemed to tend to provide more value-added service in the future to make its product different. But personally, I'm used to traditional charge mode, with expensive hardware, and free software. Although I'd like to accept changes, it's not easy.

So what do you think of this new charge mode? Is it reliable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-13-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 459
A subscription model is nothing new to the video world. If you are being provided an active service on a continuing basis, you should expect to pay as you go, for that service. Some providers offer a "lifetime" option of paying a significant sum up front as a single cost -- others do not.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 21 Old 08-13-2014, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
A subscription model is nothing new to the video world. If you are being provided an active service on a continuing basis, you should expect to pay as you go, for that service. Some providers offer a "lifetime" option of paying a significant sum up front as a single cost -- others do not.

Yeah, you're quite reasonable if we are just talking about service about video, but do you think this regular is also can be used in the hardware world? As known, the TV Box is a hardware above all, no?

I don't mean to argue with anybody, but I've seen many nagtive comments in the VidOn forum. Shall a hardware charge like a software?
post #4 of 21 Old 08-15-2014, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It's not hard to understand. The developer can earn recurrently when offering a better support. I feel they are very confident in their software. $49 for a quad core cheap, and $1.99 per month is not that experience either. But i won't pay for the service until i think it is worth the money.
post #5 of 21 Old 08-15-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Vidon.me, while an XBMC sponsor, is big on gimmicks & short on delivery. They remind me somewhat of Xtreamer. You want to believe they can deliver, but past experience & user reports show otherwise. But, would love to be proven wrong.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #6 of 21 Old 08-15-2014, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We dedicate to provide the best software on Android Box.
In future, a company can not rely on the profit from hardware, software service is what users need. We sell VidOn Box at cost price, so we wish our users could recognize the value of our software service.

VidOn Box is not only a Android base media player, it can be regarded as a super Media Center in your home. The built-in VidOn Media Center is the highlight point, it is designed especially for large screen TV, embracing launcher, multimedia management and video playback all in itself. With VidOn Media Center, you can easily manage all your movies, videos and photos in the manner of smart category. The built-in player can also support Blu-ray menu navigation and 3D Blu-ray playback, besides playing almost all popular standard-format videos. The cloud backup function can easily and quickly back up your photos and videos to a specific location, thus to build another fortress to protect your valuable thing.

Of course we will develop more new features to rich our Media Center, like streaming movies to your smartphone wherever you go, transfer movies from VidOn Box to your Mobile phone according to the supported format and the left space of your phone, ect.
post #7 of 21 Old 08-15-2014, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukaslind View Post
It's not hard to understand. The developer can earn recurrently when offering a better support. I feel they are very confident in their software. $49 for a quad core cheap, and $1.99 per month is not that experience either. But i won't pay for the service until i think it is worth the money.

So you mean they sell software, not hardware...
post #8 of 21 Old 08-15-2014, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
Vidon.me, while an XBMC sponsor, is big on gimmicks & short on delivery. They remind me somewhat of Xtreamer. You want to believe they can deliver, but past experience & user reports show otherwise. But, would love to be proven wrong.

Thanks a lot for the information! If they can not keep their promise, I don't think their product is worthy to buy.
post #9 of 21 Old 08-15-2014, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollyxu View Post
We dedicate to provide the best software on Android Box.
In future, a company can not rely on the profit from hardware, software service is what users need. We sell VidOn Box at cost price, so we wish our users could recognize the value of our software service.

VidOn Box is not only a Android base media player, it can be regarded as a super Media Center in your home. The built-in VidOn Media Center is the highlight point, it is designed especially for large screen TV, embracing launcher, multimedia management and video playback all in itself. With VidOn Media Center, you can easily manage all your movies, videos and photos in the manner of smart category. The built-in player can also support Blu-ray menu navigation and 3D Blu-ray playback, besides playing almost all popular standard-format videos. The cloud backup function can easily and quickly back up your photos and videos to a specific location, thus to build another fortress to protect your valuable thing.

Of course we will develop more new features to rich our Media Center, like streaming movies to your smartphone wherever you go, transfer movies from VidOn Box to your Mobile phone according to the supported format and the left space of your phone, ect.

Are you the Wollyxu from VidOn Box? Honestly I'm not totally on the opposite sideof this charge mode. But I think it is quite controversial. Some of the functions sound cool but will you really deliver it? It said that past experience show you don't, and indeed I have seen some comments negative in your forum about your old product. I hope that you can give us a solution about it.I won't pay for a function unstable and I believe that most of the users won't, either.

And what about the hardware? You said that this Box is sold at cost price, but is it powerful enough to support those functions offered by the so-called Media Centre?
post #10 of 21 Old 08-15-2014, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
In future, a company can not rely on the profit from hardware, software service is what users need.
Says who? I wouldn't touch a media player that can't have all its features work with Internet access with a 10-foot-pole. I'm willing to pay more for the hardware and be done with it.

Also, I'm quite skeptical you can outperform Kodi's feature set. From what I've read your boxes don't even support autoframe.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #11 of 21 Old 08-16-2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
Says who? I wouldn't touch a media player that can't have all its features work with Internet access with a 10-foot-pole. I'm willing to pay more for the hardware and be done with it.

Also, I'm quite skeptical you can outperform Kodi's feature set. From what I've read your boxes don't even support autoframe.
Calm down, dude. Kodi(XBMC) in our Box is called VidOn XBMC, this is just an Android App in the box, that's not our big point. VidOn Media Center is the soul of the Box. All the features we (will) provide are based on VidOn Media Center.

Some box manufacturers sell their box but never give users an update, but we are different, we will release new update every week to add new features, to fix new reported bugs.

Hardware is just a carrier of the software, iPhone without iOS cannot be called iPhone, but iPhone is too expensive. We are different, we sell Box at cost price, and charge software service fee only $1.99/month, just a cup of coffee. Then you can enjoy more new features, will receive software update every week, your reported bugs will have people to fix it. That's how we make money.

We have autoframe features now, it will auto switch the framerate accroding to the source, now it supports 24Hz/60Hz, and we will add 23.976Hz later.

VidOn Box needn't always connect the Internet, you are only asked to access the Internet only when you power on the box for the first time and login your VidOn Account. After login, you can disconnect the Internet.

Last edited by wollyxu; 08-16-2014 at 01:08 AM.
post #12 of 21 Old 08-16-2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:

I'm also curious how this membership thing works. If it require always online, i'll pass too.
post #13 of 21 Old 08-16-2014, 01:07 AM

You can have a try, the first year price is $72.88($49+$1.99*12),and after 1 year, if you are not satisfied with our service, you can cancel the subscription, and you box will run like a normal Android Box, it still can manage all your media source, can play (3D)blu-ray(in menu title mode), still have audio passthrough, hardware acceleration. Most important, the new updates will continue to push for you. It's still the best Android Box with VidOn XBMC Built-in.
post #14 of 21 Old 08-16-2014, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Calm down, dude. Kodi(XBMC) in our Box is called VidOn XBMC, this is just an Android App in the box, that's not our big point. VidOn Media Center is the soul of the Box. All the features we (will) provide are based on VidOn Media Center.

Some box manufacturers sell their box but never give users an update, but we are different, we will release new update every week to add new features, to fix new reported bugs.

Hardware is just a carrier of the software, iPhone without iOS cannot be called iPhone, but iPhone is too expensive. We are different, we sell Box at cost price, and charge software service fee only $1.99/month, just a cup of coffee. Then you can enjoy more new features, will receive software update every week, your reported bugs will have people to fix it. That's how we make money.

We have autoframe features now, it will auto switch the framerate accroding to the source, now it supports 24Hz/60Hz, and we will add 23.976Hz later.

VidOn Box needn't always connect the Internet, you are only asked to access the Internet when you first power on the box and login your VidOn Account. After login, you can disconnect the Internet.
Sounds reasonable. So you have VidOn Media Center and vidon xbmc, what's the difference between them?
post #15 of 21 Old 08-16-2014, 01:52 AM

The other boxes are generally sold for $100 or more, but the price contains a software cost. The charge mode of hardware and software separately of VidOn Box makes me feel more transparent and It's only $72.88, I will reserve for it.
post #16 of 21 Old 08-16-2014, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukaslind View Post
Sounds reasonable. So you have VidOn Media Center and vidon xbmc, what's the difference between them?
In short, VidOn Media Center has all features that VidOn XBMC has, except Addons (we may support XBMC addons if needed). And VidOn Media Center also has more advanced features that you won't experience on XBMC, such as:
Mobile Transfer: Transcode and download moive from VidOn Box to your smartphone at a very high speed.
Camera Backup: Automatically backup the new photos in your phone to the specified location in Nas or Hard Drive when you go back home and connect your phone to the WiFi.
Access Library: Allow you access the libraries which you set up on the VidOn Box via smartphone.
Remote Streaming: You can stream video, music or view pictures on the smartphone via 3G, 4G or WiFi wherever you go.

And more features will be added...

Remeber that, VidOn Box is not only an Android Box, it will become your real Home Media Center.
post #17 of 21 Old 08-16-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Calm down, dude.
I'm not your dude.

Given the negative comments on your track record in some other threads here, it'll be interesting to see how much you'll deliver this time.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #18 of 21 Old 08-16-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I'm not your dude.
hehe...

Quote:
Given the negative comments on your track record in some other threads here, it'll be interesting to see how much you'll deliver this time.
It seems we delivered all we promised except the 4K, that's our fault. During the past 1 year, we fixed countless bugs, released lots of versions of VidOn XBMC from v.1004 to v.1102.

We tried and will always try our best to make the best software on Android Box.
post #19 of 21 Old 08-16-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
"fixed countless bugs"

So you now agree you released a product to market that had countless bugs that needed to be fixed?

Nice to see what I said about your product initially has finally been confirmed.

You forced your customers to be your beta testers.

As I read the support forums for your products I can not say I can describe what has happened as a good experience for owners.

I'm with Techflaws.....

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #20 of 21 Old 08-17-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
"fixed countless bugs"

So you now agree you released a product to market that had countless bugs that needed to be fixed?

Nice to see what I said about your product initially has finally been confirmed.

You forced your customers to be your beta testers.

As I read the support forums for your products I can not say I can describe what has happened as a good experience for owners.

I'm with Techflaws.....
Every software has bugs, the question is whether the developers will fix the bugs.
We provided something different on Android Box, we ported XBMC to Allwinner chips, we provided Blu-ray Menu Navigation, so we got some bugs, but we tried our best to solve these bugs.
We released new version every 1-2 weeks to make our VidOn XBMC more stable, less bugs. That's our attitude, we will be responsible for every user.
post #21 of 21 Old 08-17-2014, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Please calm down gentlemen....I just want to know what do you think about the charge mode.

I can accept a product not perfect and I know that there is not a software withou bugs. BUT the most important is if you are honest and willingly do something to deliver what you have promised.
Of course, only those who have tried have the authority to criticize. I will try and I hope you won't let me down.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
fee , membreship , vidon box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page