• 1 Post By jimbo75
  • 1 Post By DreamWarrior
  • 1 Post By tdallen

post #1 of 12 Old 08-13-2014, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Please help with network issues - PLEASE!

I am really hoping that someone can help me with this, because I am totally stumped. My question has to do with networking, and specifically problems I am having in trying to use an Ethernet switch (un-managed) in conjunction with a MoCA adapter with my Verizon FIOS setup.

First a little background.

I currently have the same Actiontec MoCA adapter in my living room (ECB-2500C) and it is working perfectly with a Trendnet 5 port Ethernet switch.

My Actiontec router for Verizon is located in my office.

I am trying to run the same MoCA adapter and Ethernet switch in one of the bedrooms. So I connect the MoCA adapter using the same exact bi directional coax splitter that I am using in the living room (RCA brand 5hz-2400hz). From that splitter one coax is going to the Verizon STB in the bedroom and the other is going to the MoCA adapter. The Coax and the power light on the MoCA adapter are lit. The Ethernet light is also lit, but the light quivers. The cable box and all menus work.

I can plug an Ethernet cable into the MoCA adapter and into any one device in the bedroom and I instantly get an ip address and connection to the internet. However, if I plug that Ethernet cable into the Ethernet switch, the switch does not get a VALID ip address (the ip it gets begins with 16x.xxx.xxx.xxx when the rest of my network is 192.168.xxx.xxx). So nothing I plug into the ethernet switch can access the internet.

Not only that, but when I plug the Ethernet cable into the Ethernet switch, my wireless network goes down (all wireless devices also show the 16x.xxx.xxx.xxx ip addresses and cannot access the internet).

Here is what I have tried so far to resolve the problem:
1) Re-did the connection from the coax to the coax splitter and out
2) Replaced the coax splitter in the bedroom with the one from the living room that works out there
3) Checked the Coax in and Ethernet out connections from the MoCA adapter
4) Replaced the Ethernet cable going from the MoCA to the Ethernet switch
5) Replaced the Ethernet switch with the one from the living room that works out there.
6) Reset the router, the MoCA adapter and the switch multiple times

I have googled and read a lot, but nothing specifically seems to address this problem.

One thing did occur to me though. Right before I got the MoCA adapter for the bedroom, I got a two Roku 3s and installed one in the living room and the other in the office. As you know these have those wifi remote things. When I go and scan for all wireless networks, it shows two Roku networks in addition to my wireless network and nearby neighbor networks. Could the Roku remotes have something to do with this? And if so, will removing the batteries from those remotes help anything?

I am at my wits end with this. I am not good at network stuff. And it is driving me crazy. Any help or suggestions are greatlyappreciated!!!

Too many toys

Last edited by mde8965; 08-13-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-13-2014, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Do you have a PoE filter installed?
post #3 of 12 Old 08-13-2014, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can you make a network diagram? Seems like you might have made a network loop?
mde8965 likes this.
post #4 of 12 Old 08-13-2014, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdallen View Post
Do you have a PoE filter installed?

No I don't

Too many toys
post #5 of 12 Old 08-13-2014, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo75 View Post
Can you make a network diagram? Seems like you might have made a network loop?

Not sure what this means but I will try to describe

Office:
Coax in from wall to Verizon issued Actiontec routher
Actiontec router in office takes coax coming into the house and it acts as MoCa converter or whatever.
That router has several ethernet ports in it which are used for my computer, printer etc, and two different ethernet switches is plugged into it to create additional ethernet ports for additional printer tv and AVR, blu ray, Roku, Mede8er, etc in the office.
Wi-fi connections as needed - but mostly just transient devices such as iPhones and iPads.
ALL WORKS WELL IN THIS ROOM PRIOR TO ADDITION OF MoCA ADAPTER AND ETHERNET SWITCH IN BEDROOM

Living Room:
Coax in from wall to coax 2 to 1 splitter. Coax splitter #1 to cable box, #2 to Actiontec MoCA adapter
Actiontec ECB2500C MoCA adapter connected to Trendnet 7 port ethernet splitter which provides wired ethernet to tv, AVR, Oppo, Mede8er, Sonos etc.
Also in the living room is a wi-fi extender (not sure of brand)
Other items in this room connected to network via wi-fi as needed - but mostly just transient devices such as iPhones and iPads.
ALL WORKS WELL IN THIS ROOM PRIOR TO ADDITION OF MoCA ADAPTER AND ETHERNET SWITCH IN BEDROOM

Bedroom:
Coax in from wall to coax 2 to 1 splitter. Coax splitter #1 to cable box, #2 to Actiontec MoCA adapter
Actiontec ECB2500C MoCA adapter connected to Trendnet 5 port ethernet splitter to provide ethernet for ATV, Roku, TV, AVR, Blu Ray player,
THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM BEGINS. CONNECTING THE ETHERNET CORD FROM THE MoCA ADAPTER TO THE ETHERNET SWITCH RESULTS IN NO INTERNET OR IP's AT THE SWITCH AND ALL WI-FI IS DISABLED IN THE HOUSE

Too many toys
post #6 of 12 Old 08-13-2014, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Again, when I look at the various networks say on my iphone in settings, wi-fi, I see my network and some of the neighbors wi fi networks, but I also see 2 Roku networks. I guess these have to do with the wi fi remotes on the Roku 3.

I am wondering if somehow these wi-fi subnets or whatever they are with the Roku's are hijacking or redirecting the ethernet switch or something weird.

Again, I am a complete networking novice.

Too many toys
post #7 of 12 Old 08-13-2014, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Have you connected the five-port switch to any other location in your network to verify it works elsewhere? It seems like that switch is what is causing you heartburn. Have you successfully connected it, say, in place of the seven-port switch in your living room?
mde8965 likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-13-2014, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Have you connected the five-port switch to any other location in your network to verify it works elsewhere? It seems like that switch is what is causing you heartburn. Have you successfully connected it, say, in place of the seven-port switch in your living room?
I took the working switch from the living room and connected it in the bedroom with the same bad results. Then put the living room switch back in the living room and it worked. So I don't think it's the switch itself. And I don't think it's the MoCa adapter because any device besides a switch that I connect to it seems to get a 192.168.xxx.xxx IP address and sees the internet.

Too many toys
post #9 of 12 Old 08-14-2014, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Here is the diagram (sort of) of my network

OFFICE:
Coax Cable
> Coax Splitter

>> Verizon set top box (HD-QIP 7100-1)
>> Actiontec MI424WR Router (Verizon issued)

>>> iMac Computer
>>> Synology DS212J NAS
>>> Mede8er MED600X3D
>>> DLink 5 port Ethernet switch (unmanaged)

>>>> Epson Photo Printer
>>>> HP Laser Jet Printer (all in one)
>>>> Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Blu-Ray player
>>>> Trendnet TE-100S5 5 port Ethernet switch

>>>>> Panasonic 50ST30 Plasma TV
>>>>> Roku 3
>>>>> Onkyo TX-NR709 AVR
>>>>> Sonos Connect
- Nothing wireless in this room except for transient devices (iPhones/iPads)

LIVING ROOM:

Coax Cable
> Coax Splitter

>> Verizon set top box
>> Actiontec ECB-2500C MoCa adapter

>>> Trendnet TE-100S8 8 port Ethernet switch

>>>> Panasonic 65ST50 Plasma TV
>>>> Playstation 3
>>>> Sonos Connect
>>>> Denon AVR 4311ci AVR
>>>> Oppo 93
>>>> Roku 3
>>>> Mede8er MED600X3D
- There is a wi-fi extender in this room – not hard wired– TP-Link TLWA801ND
- The only wi-fi used in this room is for transient devices (iPhone/iPad) as well as a Macbook PRO laptop

BEDROOM: (This is the set-up I want to achieve if I can figure out the problem)

Coax Cable
> Coax Splitter

>> Verizon set top box (HD-QIP 7100-1)
>> Actiontec ECB-2500C MoCa Adapter

>>> Trendnet TE100S5 5 port Ethernet switch

>>>> ATV 2
>>>> Roku 2 XS
>>>> Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu Ray Player
>>>> Denon AVR-3311ci AVR
- The only wireless used in this room would be for the Panasonic 42ST30 Plasma TV (has a dongle) and transient devices (iPhone/iPad)

Everything works perfectly in the office and living room,both Ethernet and wireless

Everything is ok in the bedroom when the MoCa adapter is connected, with the one Ethernet cable coming out of the MoCa adapter and plugged into one device (other than the switch) – it gets an IP and connects to the internet.

When the Ethernet cable from the MoCa adapter is plugged into the Ethernet switch and the Ethernet switch is powered on, the following happens:
1. The Ethernet goes out throughout the entire house
2. The 3 Verizon STB’s all re-boot and do not get data connectivity
3. Wireless goes out all over the house temporarily but seems to come back on in a few minutes

I have tried the following to fix or troubleshoot the problem:
a) Replaced the coax cable from the coax splitter to the MoCa adapter – and made sure the coax connections were all tight
b) Bypassed the coax splitter in the bedroom connecting the MoCa adapter directly to the Coax coming in from the wall
c) Replaced the MoCa adapter in the bedroom with the one from the living room – and moved the one from the bedroom to the one in the living room. Once done the living roomis fine, but the trouble still happens when the switch is connected in the bedroom
d) Replaced the Ethernet switch in the bedroom with the known working one from the living room – no change
e) Replaced the Ethernet switch in the bedroom with a different brand one – no change
f) Unplugged all the Roku boxes (including removing the transformers from the outlets – no change
g) Replaced the Ethernet cable from the MoCa adapter to the switch
h) Reset/Re-booted the router, MoCa Adapter and Ethernet switch several times.

This all being said… The only thoughts I have, and I hope somebody will comment on
1. I am not sure if somehow the Coax coming into the bedroom is on a different splitter or wired in a different way in the Verizon box outside – What do I need to check? Be very specific. I see a couple of coax splitters in the soffit outside – but cannot trace them to a specific room(a cannot climb up on a ladder due to physical limitations)
2. Is it at all possible that one of the Ethernet cables other than the one from the MoCa adapter that is plugged into the Ethernet switch in the bedroom is somehow shorting out and taking my network down when I power up the Ethernet switch? Because one thing I have not yet checked is if the network goes down when the Ethernet switch is powered with only the cable coming from the MoCa adapter connected.

Any other thoughts or suggestions would really be appreciated…

Last edited by mde8965; 08-14-2014 at 07:42 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-15-2014, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I would definitely try plugging in the bedroom switch without any devices, then add one device at a time. That might identify a bad cable/device in the bedroom.

If that doesn't work, I'd recommend taking the Living Room MoCA adaptor and switch upstairs and trying them - again, one device at a time. If the living room setup works in the bedroom, then the issue is with the bedroom equipment. If the living room equipment does not work in the bedroom, then the issue is with the cabling to the bedroom.
mde8965 likes this.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-15-2014, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdallen View Post
I would definitely try plugging in the bedroom switch without any devices, then add one device at a time.

THE PROBLEM IS RESOLVED, FINALLY.

Yes, as I posted the network diagram yesterday, it dawned on me that I had not done this. And that the fact that the living room equipment did not work in the bedroom indicated the problem had to be either the Coax or other wiring in the bedroom. So last night I investigated.

So I plugged the MoCa adapter only into the ethernet switch and all was well. Added my ATV and it immediately got internet connection. Then added my Roku and it got connected. Next was my TV and all was well. Now I had an ethernet cable that was coming from my Blu-ray player that I thought looked suspect so I did not hook that up yet. But next I hooked up my receiver, and the cable boxes re-booted and the network went down. So I replaced that cable and plugged it into the switch and AVR and the network stayed up, but the receiver did not connect. So I unplugged the receiver from the wall, waited 30 seconds and plugged it back in and it connected immediately. Then I plugged in the suspect ethernet cable from the blu ray player and it connected without issue. But I went ahead and replaced that cable anyway.

So the entire problem was somehow the ethernet cable that was connected to my AVR. I looked the cable over really good and it looks brand new with no obvious flaws at all.

I have no idea why I had not tried connecting one device at a time to the switch earlier. I thought I had been thorough in my troubleshooting.

Lesson learned. But thanks to all that replied.

Too many toys
post #12 of 12 Old 08-15-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
From the early days of personal computers; still applicable:

Quote:
Pournelle's Law: Cables do matter. When something doesn't work, always check the cables and their connectors first.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ernal_Verities

Craig
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page