What do you use to monitor your Smart / Managed Switches? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2014, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 41
What do you use to monitor your Smart / Managed Switches?

For anyone that is using Smart / Managed Switches what are you using to monitor them? I am looking for something using SNMP / RMON to monitor / track / report bandwidth and maybe even go further and track errors, uptime and unresponsive devices.

Of course since this is for my home / personal use I am looking for some thing that is cheap / free alternative to applications like What's Up Gold and PRTG which are great but certainly not free for the number of ports / devices I want to monitor. I know there is also MRTG but that seems to have fallen by the wayside.

I tried out Spice which is ok for telling you when something is down but doesn't track bandwidth usage.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by funhouse69; 08-13-2014 at 06:56 PM.
funhouse69 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-13-2014, 07:04 PM
Member
 
smcmillan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farmington, MI, USA
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
For anyone that is using Smart / Managed Switches what are you using to monitor them? I am looking for something using SNMP / RMON to monitor / track / report bandwidth and maybe even go further and track errors, uptime and unresponsive devices.

Of course since this is for my home / personal use I am looking for some thing that is cheap / free alternative to applications like What's Up Gold and PRTG which are great but certainly not free for the number of ports / devices I want to monitor. I know there is also MRTG but that seems to have fallen by the wayside.

I tried out Spice which is ok for telling you when something is down but doesn't track bandwidth usage.

Any suggestions?
I don't know if it monitors switches themselves (either directly or via plugins) but have you looked at Nagios? Craploads of plugins, we used it to monitor our offsite locations at my previous place of employment. Can be a bit daunting to setup initially.
smcmillan2 is online now  
Old 08-13-2014, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
I don't know if it monitors switches themselves (either directly or via plugins) but have you looked at Nagios? Craploads of plugins, we used it to monitor our offsite locations at my previous place of employment. Can be a bit daunting to setup initially.
Thanks for the info, I've never heard of this before but this is far from Free. I picked the basic single server edition and it is $8k. I am looking for something for home / small business use.
funhouse69 is online now  
Old 08-13-2014, 07:24 PM
Member
 
smcmillan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farmington, MI, USA
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
Thanks for the info, I've never heard of this before but this is far from Free. I picked the basic single server edition and it is $8k. I am looking for something for home / small business use.
Not sure which link you clicked on, but the core is still free: http://www.nagios.org/download/core

I do not know if between that and the plugins you can accomplish what you are after, but we used it to monitor >1000 nodes (with the free version). They may have changed their pricing structure since then.

HTH
Scott
smcmillan2 is online now  
Old 08-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Member
 
jimbo75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Try looking at Splunk or OpenNMS.
jimbo75 is offline  
Old 08-13-2014, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo75 View Post
Try looking at Splunk or OpenNMS.
Thanks OpenNMS looks promising, I will have to give it a shot!
funhouse69 is online now  
Old 08-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Newbie
 
Johnny SSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Observium or Cacti or Zenoss are really good
Johnny SSH is online now  
Old 08-14-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
robnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
For anyone that is using Smart / Managed Switches what are you using to monitor them? I am looking for something using SNMP / RMON to monitor / track / report bandwidth and maybe even go further and track errors, uptime and unresponsive devices.

Of course since this is for my home / personal use I am looking for some thing that is cheap / free alternative to applications like What's Up Gold and PRTG which are great but certainly not free for the number of ports / devices I want to monitor. I know there is also MRTG but that seems to have fallen by the wayside.

I tried out Spice which is ok for telling you when something is down but doesn't track bandwidth usage.

Any suggestions?
Cacti is free and does an excellent job with statistical reporting.
Nagios, the free version, is outstanding as well and can be used for your uptime reporting, monitoring, and alerting.

Looky here!
robnix is online now  
Old 08-14-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
robnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
Not sure which link you clicked on, but the core is still free: http://www.nagios.org/download/core

I do not know if between that and the plugins you can accomplish what you are after, but we used it to monitor >1000 nodes (with the free version). They may have changed their pricing structure since then.

HTH
Scott
We use the free version across 4 datacenters and two continents to monitor around 3500 services. It's a really fantastic tool that puts many paid for monitoring softwares to shame.

Looky here!
robnix is online now  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off