Mobile Network Streaming - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-13-2014, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mobile Network Streaming

I think I got the right spot on the forum for this, if not, please accept my apology. I was approached by a guy at my church who heads the sporting department and was asked about a big project he wants me to look into. It sounds like they would like to do this but also need it to be simple for them to operate and not require me (computer/network guy) every time they set up or need tech support. Here is what they want to do...

They want to have 4 (probably need to be IP) cameras. 2 cameras for basketball hoops and 2 court cameras.
They want to be able to to "hit a button" and switch from one camera to another instantly, and have the stream show that view as its switched.
They want to be able to stream live to anyone who is not able to make it to the game but still want to watch it
They would like to be able to take this gear across the road to the baseball field and stream from there also, when they are doing softball games

"Extras" on the wish list
Be able to project onto a big screen of sorts
Be able to insert ads for local businesses. Not video adds but just a picture type ad.

"Extra" on the wish list where unicorns may be needed to accomplish
Be able to do instant replays

Lets start this off easy with the first 4 things on the list. I think it's safe to say that IP cameras would be a requirement and that when not broadcasting from the physical church/private school building, a hot spot (or very powerful antenna to shoot the signal a few hundred feet to link up with the church/private school building) of some sorts would also be a requirement. So here is my list of questions...

1. What IP cameras would be recommended for something like this? I'm not sure what the budget is, but I would say its not huge.
2 What is a recommended hot spot, or other medium, to get this stream accessible to those who want to watch it at home?
3. What else is needed to make this happen and for it to be easy to operate for most "average" people?

I know this is a lot and I am a computer/network guy, but some of this dabbles in areas that I am not familiar with. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by therealcrazy8; 08-13-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-13-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 56
That can range from simple and cheap, to the other extreme depending on the quality level you require. a normal video security system will do all that you ask, but the quality most often is not the greatest. You may find the odd hi def security system if you look hard enough, but the majority is a pretty low quality standard def.

If you want something with reasonable quality however you're talking hi def HDMI streamable cams. They don't have to be new. Some used ones will be fine. The Canon HV20 and 30 series are older cam with great quality and can stream from their hdmi ports. Next you will need a switcher and I recommend the black magic. I have one and it's super easy to set up and not that expensive (relatively speaking). Comes with the software for basically your own little tv network.

I stuck this youtube video out in another thread around here somewhere but I'll stick here for you again:

post #3 of 5 Old 08-24-2014, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

So I found out today that my church has a budget of $4500 to make this happen. Is there any other hardware that I should be looking at that will fill their needs and not break that budget. If anyone has anything to throw in, it would be greatly appreciated. I still think that wireless would be the way to go for the sake of them wanting to make this "mobile" but I am open to anything. We are hoping to start getting hardware in just a few weeks.

Thanks in advance for all of the help.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-25-2014, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

I think I am on the right track, but not entirely sure. So far this is what I got...
* Ustream Producer Studio
- Do users who want to watch, just go to Ustream and access the channel we are streaming on?
- Can the Ustream feed be embedded into any website? For instance out church website perhaps.
* Live broadcasting (pro silver) $99mth
- Would be nice to be able to do this (streaming) without a monthly fee
- If I recall correctly Ustream Producer Studio is the software needed on the computer and Live Broadcasting Pro Silver is the streaming package. Is that correct?
* 100ft. Blue Jeans BJC Series-1 HDMI cable
-Will need about 4 of these (one for each camera)
* Epson Home Cinema 730HD Projector
* ASUS RT-AC68U Wireless Router

- This should handle streaming media quite nicely and be able to reach across the street to the baseball field when they are streaming from there.
- My thought is that they will have a directional indoor/outdoor patch antenna facing the church and that way they can use their broadband connection to stream online.

I was strongly considering the BlackMagic ATEM Television Studio. But I feel that may be something more "professional than what we need. But I do have a question about some kind of switch like that though. If all 4 cameras plug into a switch like that and then at some point connect to the computer, will Ustream be able to pick up those 4 cameras or would you be stuck having to use the, in this case BlackMagic, software? Keep in mind I need to make this as uber simple as possible.

Am I on the right track?
Any suggestions on hardware/software/general setup/etc.?
post #5 of 5 Old 08-30-2014, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Well I think I have 99% of it together now. Not sure if anyone can chime in on any of this but any help or clarification if all of this will work would be much appreciated. Well, here is what I have right now.

(4) GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition Cameras
(4) Blue Jeans BJC Series-1 100’ HDMI Cable
(1) Kinivo HS420 (4x2) HDMI Switcher
(1) Blue Jeans BJC Series-1 20’ HDMI Cable
(1) Epson Home Cinema 730HD Projector
Ustream Producer Studio
Live Broadcasting (Pro Silver)
(1) ASUS RT-AC68U Wireless Router - Will be in the school. Need to check range on this
(1) ASUS USB-AC56 Wireless Dual-band Adapter - Have a feeling I will need to upgrade the antenna
(1) Pelican 1560SC Studio Case - For transportation and storage
(2) GoPro Roll Bar Mount - These will be used at the baseball field on the fence posts
(1) GoPro Head Strap + Quick Clip - This will be used at the baseball field on the fence
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page