• 1 Post By rdgrimes

post #1 of 27 Old 08-18-2014, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Convert DVD iso files to MKV

I did some research a few months ago looking for a reasonably easy way to convert many DVD iso files to MKV for use with PLEX server on my NAS and couldn't find anything that wasn't very labor intensive. Anyone know of anything that might have come along or that I might have missed earlier?

Thanks..................

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-18-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Use MakeMKV. It's free and a good converter.
post #3 of 27 Old 08-18-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
Use MakeMKV. It's free and a good converter.
When I looked at that earlier, it was pretty much manual, ie, file by file, with no automated method for processing several hundred isos. Am I missing something?

post #4 of 27 Old 08-18-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 65
You are correct. MakeMKV can't que up hundreds of files at a time and work through the list.
post #5 of 27 Old 08-18-2014, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
When I looked at that earlier, it was pretty much manual, ie, file by file, with no automated method for processing several hundred isos. Am I missing something?
There are 2 additions to MakeMKV theat can be used for this. One is MakeMKVs batch-converter. The other is an add-on call Movies2MKV. Both programs can be found in the "Advanced Usage" section of the MakeMKV forums found here.

A little under a month ago, I used these two programs to convert over 3,000 discs from VIDEO_TS and ISO to .mkv.
post #6 of 27 Old 08-18-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Here is a post I wrote about this topic for another user about a month ago.
post #7 of 27 Old 08-18-2014, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you Aryn, I am reading up on these utilities now. Looks like the movies2mkv dev is working on a release now.

Is it true that I will end up with movies only, without menus? I thought MKV format could contain menus. (Lots of varied info and comments in those threads).

post #8 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 31
DVD Fab's Version 9.1x "Ripper" Option also allows you to queue up multiple files to be converted to another file type. You can either "Convert Them" or you can do just a pass through which is obviously much fast. I used it to convert my Series DVD Rips to MKV Files for my Plex environment and it worked great.

DVD Fab isn't free and it should be stressed that the "Ripper" option is NOT part of the standard license / is another add on option. I got it as part of a bundle some time ago and love it.
post #9 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
DVD Fab's Version 9.1x "Ripper" Option also allows you to queue up multiple files to be converted to another file type. You can either "Convert Them" or you can do just a pass through which is obviously much fast. I used it to convert my Series DVD Rips to MKV Files for my Plex environment and it worked great.

DVD Fab isn't free and it should be stressed that the "Ripper" option is NOT part of the standard license / is another add on option. I got it as part of a bundle some time ago and love it.
Thanks funhouse..... I have a lifetime license to DVDFab Copy and see there is a trial of ripper. I'll give the trial a shot and hope it works for me. Currently about $60 for a lifetime license. I wasn't aware of the MKV conversion/pass thru feature and it must be little known generally for all my googling never turned up that option.

post #10 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Thanks funhouse..... I have a lifetime license to DVDFab Copy and see there is a trial of ripper. I'll give the trial a shot and hope it works for me. Currently about $60 for a lifetime license. I wasn't aware of the MKV conversion/pass thru feature and it must be little known generally for all my googling never turned up that option.
There's a new kid on the block, which looks suspiciously like Fab, and also has pass-through options. The cost is less too.

http://www.tdmore.com/dvd-converter.html
Kelson likes this.
post #11 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
There's a new kid on the block, which looks suspiciously like Fab, and also has pass-through options. The cost is less too.

Yes it is cheap and does relatively little compared to DVD Fab -- but does enough. The language of the Web site has the same style as the DVD Fab site. Does not say anything about decryption. There is no statement whatever as to whether or not you need a supplemental decryption module like AnyDVD. I would want to get a definitive statement from the vendor about that and their policy of continuing updates for new encryptions.

Nice find.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #12 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Yes it is cheap and does relatively little compared to DVD Fab -- but does enough. The language of the Web site has the same style as the DVD Fab site. Does not say anything about decryption. There is no statement whatever as to whether or not you need a supplemental decryption module like AnyDVD. I would want to get a definitive statement from the vendor about that and their policy of continuing updates for new encryptions.

Nice find.
It does its own decryption. It's exactly the same as Fab in all respects, except that each of the 4 modules is a separate program so there's no "AIO" type functionality. It doesn't phone home either, once activated. As to updates, time will tell.
post #13 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It's exactly the same as Fab in all respects, except that each of the 4 modules is a separate program so there's no "AIO" type functionality.
LOL, that is exactly like FAB -- sub-divide as much as you can and charge a separate fee for each module. I did see a 4-module package deal for $100 (promo code until 8/31 knocks it down to $80).

The promo code takes $10 off the lifetime BluRay module and knocks it down to $40. I sent them an EMAIL requesting info including their policy on updating for new decryptions. You note it doesn't phone home after activation but I wonder if it uses a cloud-based decryption database like FAB does which allows them to keep current without having to download a program update.

If it works, that is a very cheap price for a BluRay ripper.
Again, good find.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 08-19-2014 at 11:21 AM.
post #14 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

How does this look like DVDFab?
post #15 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratmanX View Post
How does this look like DVDFab?
Screen shots of the UI on the website -- looks a lot like a clone of the Fab-9 UI; same layout and visual style; the icons look to be identical.

- kelson h

post #16 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tried the demo of TDMore. It will only allow conversion of one file, so I can't test if it will handle multiple conversions without intervention.

I did try the DVDFab ripper demo though (it is ripper that does the MKV pass through, converter doesn't seem to read iso files). It converted two movies sequentially with MKV pass though. They came out about the same size and only took about 4 minutes each. But... subtitles are weird. The original has yellow subs that are fairly crisp and low on the screen. The MKV file ends up with yellow subs that are fuzzier with a white outline and higher up on the screen. What's up with that? I tried all subtitle options playing the original and there is nothing that looks like the ones in the MKV.

See the screen shots below. There are more differences. The timing is different and the MKV contrast or shading is different (maybe better - but different).

I'm about to try a conversion to MKV instead of pass through and see if it is any different.

BTW, the TDMore program really does have many of the same interface elements as DVDFab when I used it. It does feel like it is from the same developers.

Original ISO..........

MKV Pass Through..........

Last edited by pstrisik; 08-19-2014 at 03:49 PM.
post #17 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, I found a subtitle option in DVDFab - remux into file or save as separate subtitle file. Doing the latter helps. The subs are even lower, but ok. At least they are clearer, though not as clear as the original. And the timing is still different than the original. Drag to have to have multiple files per movie though. Is this normal for MKV - can subs be within the mkv file and be more normal?

Here's the screen shot of the MKV done with separate subtitle file...........

post #18 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok...... another screen shot. Maybe these will be helpful for someone else also.

This one is the same iso done with MakeMKV. The subs are normal and within the MKV file. Timing is still different than the original, but hopefully that is not an issue.

If this is the way to go, I will investigate the add-on multiple file utilities for MakeMKV.

post #19 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 05:46 PM

Just for reference purposes, I have tried as many as 50 DVD Rips in DVD Fab to MKV using the Pass Through without any issues.
post #20 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just for reference purposes, I have tried as many as 50 DVD Rips in DVD Fab to MKV using the Pass Through without any issues.
Do you use subtitles?

post #21 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Do you use subtitles?
I don't do anything special for subtitles, I originally ripped the DVD's using DVD Fab and now I am converting them using DVD Fab. I just checked a half dozen movies in Plex and they all have / play the Subtitles if I enable them.
post #22 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry to belabor....... Do the subtitles look normal or by any chance are they also kind of high up and with the white background around each letter like in the screenshot in post 16?

post #23 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Sorry to belabor....... Do the subtitles look normal or by any chance are they also kind of high up and with the white background around each letter like in the screenshot in post 16?
I suspect you might be getting confused by the way your playback device handles different type subs. If you simply use the MKV passthrough function and include the sub you want, it should display correctly 99% of the time, or at least look the same as it would if you enabled it while playing the original DVD.. You do have to enable the sub in your playback device though.
post #24 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I suspect you might be getting confused by the way your playback device handles different type subs. If you simply use the MKV passthrough function and include the sub you want, it should display correctly 99% of the time, or at least look the same as it would if you enabled it while playing the original DVD.. You do have to enable the sub in your playback device though.
Pass through - same player (VLC on Windows 7). Subs are there, but the one in MKV is poor quality and misplaced - I posted screen shots above. I don't know why I'm getting inconsistent results. I don't think it is operator error.

Conversion works fine with MakeMKV and I ran two files through Movies2MKV, one of the GUI batch addons for MakeMKV - I'll likely be going that route.

post #25 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
So here are two screen shots from VLC, the first one is from the original DVD (DVD Photo) and the second one is from an MKV File (MKV Photo) converted through DVD Fab Pass Through / No Changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MKV.png
Views:	20
Size:	380.8 KB
ID:	220258   Click image for larger version

Name:	DVD.png
Views:	19
Size:	368.5 KB
ID:	220266  
post #26 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So here are two screen shots from VLC, the first one is from the original DVD (DVD Photo) and the second one is from an MKV File (MKV Photo) converted through DVD Fab Pass Through / No Changes.
Thanks for the confirmation. Some kind of glitch here evidently. Probably not worth the effort to troubleshoot if the MakeMKV/Movies2MKV ends up working well for me.

post #27 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Do you need MPEG2 video in your MKV container or can you use AVC and consequently smaller files? If you can use AVC then HandBrake is good for multiple conversions.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming