Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-18-2014, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Router-Media Priority streaming

Hi folks,

Our home is under construction and will be finished soon with the Square footage totaling roughly 5000sqft 3floor and an attic home is square.

The children of the household at any given time can be streaming netflix or roku on 3 tv screens at any given time while two of them have face time running for hours on end. God forbid they ever see sunlight, anyways even thou each tv will be getting a cat 6 Ethernet wire I have bought two wireless access points the ruckus r700 and zone flex 7982 and a zone director. my concern is bandwidth. all of these devices will be hooking into a geovision poe 16 switch. I have everything under control uptill this point. I draw a blank with the router itself, i do not want to buy a linksys e1000 etc. i would like to purchase a non wifi router. But everything i have read in the small business router section is yes they come with dual wan points and are gigabyte switches, but they dont have mediacenters upnp dlna m on board to prioritize the video streams. i am thinking of going with the cisco rv320. What shall i do gentlemen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-19-2014, 03:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I am not really sure what you are asking here... You want to give all of your video priority over other traffic? Unless you have a lot of bandwidth coming in it sounds like you still might have some issues if everyone is on at the same time.

If you are looking for a way to prioritize your traffic then some managed switches can do that or you can look at a Firewall / Gateway Device. I suggest taking a look at some of the Zyxel / Zywall Devices you can either go with one of their USG Devices which is a Unified Security Gateway which will offer Anti-Virus / Intrusion Detection and Spam Filtering (with a subscription) or their Firewalls which are cheaper and do not offer the other scanning features both however offer the following Features:

• Guaranteed Bandwidth
  • Maximum Bandwidth
  • Priority-bandwidth Utilization
These devices offer enterprise level features at a very reasonable small business price. I've been using them for a few years and they have been rock solid / reliable. Their Tech Support has also been stellar!

Their Website is www.zyxel.com
post #3 of 13 Old 08-19-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I'm not sure what the issue is here....
Just because you purchase a wifi router doesn't mean you need to use that part of it. If you don't want the wifi then simply disable it. You do need a router however so that ip addresses can be assigned and issued.

It's pretty hard to max out a gigabyte network, but if it concerns you that much then what you could do is set up a multiple network... a "kids" network/server and a "parents" network/server.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-19-2014, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thankyou for the awesome advice funhouse69 and bigbarney, i am going to checkout zyxel and i totally forgot about it but i will make sure with the geovision switches i believe i can assign ports to operate at 10/100 or 10/100/1000 in which the tvs can be throttled a little bit sort to say and they will just have to wait a minute or two for a longer buffer period. i may pm you guys if thats okay if i run into any trouble with zyxel or establishing two servers.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-19-2014, 03:06 PM

You can PM me anytime, I'm always willing to help
post #6 of 13 Old 08-19-2014, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've never seen a gigabit tv. regardless your going to be better served with fast internet speed then trying to prioritize video. I have 100 meg cable service from cablevision and about the same usage if not more than you and never see a speed issue in my house.

i use the ruckus zf 7942's, zone director , and a cisco rv042g with two hp 24 port gigabit switches connecting all the hardwire devices. No priotities set and never an issue.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-19-2014, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

starting to already reap the benefits of this forum, nice to see some of the stuff i will be using , thats already in the field techphil you have calmed some of my worries i did pickup another 16 port hub today, although my sales rep was reluctant to sell me the 24 ports, he stated they sound like jet engines spinning the entire time.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-20-2014, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro Guglani View Post
starting to already reap the benefits of this forum, nice to see some of the stuff i will be using , thats already in the field techphil you have calmed some of my worries i did pickup another 16 port hub today, although my sales rep was reluctant to sell me the 24 ports, he stated they sound like jet engines spinning the entire time.
There are fanless switch options out there. I'm sure everyone in the house doesn't want to hear your switch running...

It will depend on what your switching needs are. I'm assuming you are looking for managed switches since you have those Ruckus APs. I haven't looked at those APs, but they probably need PoE? 24 ports, and PoE, and fanless is a pretty tall order... I can't think of one of the top of my head. If you want to stay fanless, you might want to consider 2 switches. A smaller 8 to 12 port PoE switch. And then a 16 to 24 port (non-PoE) switch. (depending how many ports you need.) HP makes good switches.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-20-2014, 03:29 PM

I can't seem to find all of the specs of the Rukus Devices but was wondering why not go with a Cisco WLAN Controller? I have their 2504 and it has been running rock solid since the day I installed it. The Controller is cheaper than the Rukus and seems to have just as good a spec list. The only thing that I didn't compare is the price of the access points.

As for POE Switches I've tried out a few different ones and have had some compatibility issues with my other switches even of the same brand. With that in mind I ended up getting a Cisco SG300-28P which is a 28 port and love it, I am using it to power my Access Points as well as my POE Switches throughout the house.

I know people hear Cisco and they think huge money but this is a Small Business Switch and has a great user interface for a very reasonable price. To be fair the Cisco switches do have fans but they are quiet compared to others I've had over the years. I would try and place everything in your basement.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-22-2014, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I can't seem to find all of the specs of the Rukus Devices but was wondering why not go with a Cisco WLAN Controller? I have their 2504 and it has been running rock solid since the day I installed it. The Controller is cheaper than the Rukus and seems to have just as good a spec list. The only thing that I didn't compare is the price of the access points.

As for POE Switches I've tried out a few different ones and have had some compatibility issues with my other switches even of the same brand. With that in mind I ended up getting a Cisco SG300-28P which is a 28 port and love it, I am using it to power my Access Points as well as my POE Switches throughout the house.

I know people hear Cisco and they think huge money but this is a Small Business Switch and has a great user interface for a very reasonable price. To be fair the Cisco switches do have fans but they are quiet compared to others I've had over the years. I would try and place everything in your basement.

Well the only reason , I went with the ruckus zone director was because I wanted to minimize install time , they said adding the access points was plugin play if the controller was theirs. So after doing massive amounts of price - matching and online hunting I ended up paying

Cisco rv325 router 286.00
2 geovision Poe 16 port switches 400.00 each
Ruckus zone director 1106 949.00
Ruckus zone flex 7982 825.00
Rucked zone flex new .ac support 875.00
Best possibly bang for the buck

And yes I totally agree up till maybe two years ago Cisco was untouchable wig their prices they catered more to large corporate buildings with have to buy their WLAN controllers at 1200 to control upto 5 Cisco Aeronet acces points which were almost 1000 each. So that's why I didn't bother try to be Cisco, I believe ruckus just hit their 10th year anniversary
post #11 of 13 Old 08-23-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Well the only reason , I went with the ruckus zone director was because I wanted to minimize install time , they said adding the access points was plugin play if the controller was theirs. So after doing massive amounts of price - matching and online hunting I ended up paying

Cisco rv325 router 286.00
2 geovision Poe 16 port switches 400.00 each
Ruckus zone director 1106 949.00
Ruckus zone flex 7982 825.00
Rucked zone flex new .ac support 875.00
Best possibly bang for the buck

And yes I totally agree up till maybe two years ago Cisco was untouchable wig their prices they catered more to large corporate buildings with have to buy their WLAN controllers at 1200 to control upto 5 Cisco Aeronet acces points which were almost 1000 each. So that's why I didn't bother try to be Cisco, I believe ruckus just hit their 10th year anniversary
What is the throughput put of the Ruckus zone director 1106? I have been all over their page and all I find is this which does now show the throughput.

http://www.ruckuswireless.com/produc...10001100#specs

While I can't comment on their configuration the Cisco Controller was a piece of cake and adding AP's is a snap as well. I am thrilled with mine but would love to get the full specs on the Rukus stuff for future reference as they do have a really nice product line and would consider recommending them in the future.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-23-2014, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
What is the throughput put of the Ruckus zone director 1106? I have been all over their page and all I find is this which does now show the throughput.

http://www.ruckuswireless.com/produc...10001100#specs

While I can't comment on their configuration the Cisco Controller was a piece of cake and adding AP's is a snap as well. I am thrilled with mine but would love to get the full specs on the Rukus stuff for future reference as they do have a really nice product line and would consider recommending them in the future.
i did not see actual numbers to reference off, but it has a distributed forewardingarchitecture, and the throughput is maximized letting the accesspoints talk directly to the router, i believe i understood that clearly, it doesnt care of what data is being transmitted, but it constantly refreshes power outputs of all aps connnected to maximize connection speeds, if an ipad is moving around from oneside of the house to other.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-23-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
i did not see actual numbers to reference off, but it has a distributed forewardingarchitecture, and the throughput is maximized letting the accesspoints talk directly to the router, i believe i understood that clearly, it doesnt care of what data is being transmitted, but it constantly refreshes power outputs of all aps connnected to maximize connection speeds, if an ipad is moving around from oneside of the house to other.
I just e-mailed them to get some more information, I also asked them why the specs of their FlexZone R700 and 7982 are pretty much the same / have the same throughput. I might have to get my employer to buy one of their Zone Directors so I can play with it.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread - e1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page