Netflix DD Plus only works on TV with xbox 360 but not Roku 3? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-24-2014, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Netflix DD Plus only works on TV with xbox 360 but not Roku 3?

Here's my setup...
Roku 3 HDMI, Xbox 360 slim HDMI > Insignia TV (NS 39D400NA14WYW) > Optical audio out > Logitec Z5500 (soon to be Yamaha RX-V630)

Both have the option in Netflix to use Dolby digital plus 5.1, however my insignia TV only recognizes Netflix surround sound audio from my xbox (I have xbox set to dolby surround sound) and not from my Roku? When the Roku is set to DDP the tv has no sound and does not recognize the format, so the logitec's dont get any signal either via the optical out. What is the Xbox doing to the audio stream that the Roku isn't?
My hypothesis is this, the Insignia TV doesn't recognize DDP but the Xbox is converting the DDP to another DD format that the TV does recognize, where as the Roku just sends straight DDP.
I would really like to use the Roku 3 for Netflix because i think it has a nicer interface and better PQ.

And yes i've looked around the web and can't find anything.
Any help/suggestions is much appreciated.

Last edited by Dr.Evazan; 08-24-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-25-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Evazan View Post
Here's my setup...
Roku 3 HDMI, Xbox 360 slim HDMI > Insignia TV (NS 39D400NA14WYW) > Optical audio out > Logitec Z5500 (soon to be Yamaha RX-V630)

Both have the option in Netflix to use Dolby digital plus 5.1, however my insignia TV only recognizes Netflix surround sound audio from my xbox (I have xbox set to dolby surround sound) and not from my Roku? When the Roku is set to DDP the tv has no sound and does not recognize the format, so the logitec's dont get any signal either via the optical out. What is the Xbox doing to the audio stream that the Roku isn't?
My hypothesis is this, the Insignia TV doesn't recognize DDP but the Xbox is converting the DDP to another DD format that the TV does recognize, where as the Roku just sends straight DDP.
I would really like to use the Roku 3 for Netflix because i think it has a nicer interface and better PQ.

And yes i've looked around the web and can't find anything.
Any help/suggestions is much appreciated.
The Roku 3 does not process Netflix DD+ it just passes the audio stream straight to the decoding device via HDMI when set to Surround Sound mode.

Your Insignia TV should be set to RAW so that the original stream is sent to the Logitech to decode DD+...assuming it has that capability.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	insignia-sound.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	229001  

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 6 Old 08-25-2014, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Well that's the thing, i have it in raw and it passes through the xbox's surround sound but not the roku's
post #4 of 6 Old 08-26-2014, 07:37 AM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I believe the reason for this discrepancy is that the XBOX 360 does not output DD+ rather it outputs garden variety Dolby Digital which your TV can accept. I can't think of any TV's off hand that can pass along or process advanced formats like DD+ or DTS-HD, or DD True HD.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-26-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Evazan View Post
Well that's the thing, i have it in raw and it passes through the xbox's surround sound but not the roku's
As mentioned by EVT the Insignia will not pass through the original DD+ audio stream, I was thinking maybe it would re-encode the audio stream to regular Dolby Digital 5.1 but that's not the case here. The Logitech cannot handle DD+ even if it were passed through untouched. And as you know the Xbox outputs regular Dolby Digital 5.1 which your TV and Logitech have no problem with.

In your particular case the Apple TV 3 would have been the better choice for your system and Netflix since it has an optical output in addition to HDMI. You would have to mute the TV since the sound is output through both optical and HDMI at the same time. The ATV3 outputs DD 5.1 but not DD+.

Other solutions are to purchase a re-encoder device (usually over $100) to take the Netflix DD+ and output regular DD 5.1.

The best solution of course is to purchase a new receiver with HDMI and DD+ capability.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #6 of 6 Old 08-27-2014, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
As mentioned by EVT the Insignia will not pass through the original DD+ audio stream, I was thinking maybe it would re-encode the audio stream to regular Dolby Digital 5.1 but that's not the case here. The Logitech cannot handle DD+ even if it were passed through untouched. And as you know the Xbox outputs regular Dolby Digital 5.1 which your TV and Logitech have no problem with.

In your particular case the Apple TV 3 would have been the better choice for your system and Netflix since it has an optical output in addition to HDMI. You would have to mute the TV since the sound is output through both optical and HDMI at the same time. The ATV3 outputs DD 5.1 but not DD+.

Other solutions are to purchase a re-encoder device (usually over $100) to take the Netflix DD+ and output regular DD 5.1.

The best solution of course is to purchase a new receiver with HDMI and DD+ capability.
Thanks EVT and Mr.G. That's the answer i was looking for, which is the xbox in fact does not output DD+
Thanks for the help
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page