Time Warner Cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-24-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Time Warner Cable

I have been a cord cutter since 2010, but had a brilliant idea to subscribe to TWC for football season and use watch espn and other apps on the xbox one and do away with a set top box rental or a cable card rental. I called to subscribe and found out in order to use the apps I have to have the set top installed. Are you kidding me?!! Is this true or is it a case of customer service trying I squeeze money out of me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-25-2014, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I don't have TW but I assume they are telling you that to get more money out of you and the app can control their DVR Remotely. I am sure like with FIOS you can schedule recordings and things like that.

If worst comes to worst tell them you have TIVO and that you want a cable card. While they will still charge you it will only be a few $ a month and not the outrageous amount they want for their DVR these days.

I am with FIOS and have 3 TIVO's with Cable Cards, not a single one of their STB's and they never said anything and I can still use their app which allows me to watch various channels outside of the house and many more inside / on their network.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-25-2014, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

So according to their customer service I don't actually need the cable card for online tv viewing but I need it to "activate" my account. Yeah trying to squeeze money out is me lol. Let's hope that the time warner comcast merger does not go through for the sake of everyone.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-25-2014, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Since you have to subscribe to the the digital channel package to get the online service, and since a cablecard or STB is required to receive those channels normally, they may be handcuffed. IDK. It is possible there is a legal reason they can't stream to people without the service installed, as it would be considered online only and most stations probably require cable delivery. As much as I hate TWC and tactics, this doesn't seem too crazy to me. Can you get a STB for activation and then return it?

The online streaming works pretty good. I use it on my PC, tablet, and ROKU and have no complaints, although PQ is certainly not on par with broadcast. Online does not include local channels, so you'll need a tuner of some sort for those.

Last edited by DanPackMan; 08-25-2014 at 06:58 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-25-2014, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to try to return the cablecard, but yes that is the reason they stated. I would hope that at some point they change that policy as more and more people migrate to a streaming for their tv needs.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-08-2014, 06:24 AM

Liked: 11
I just signed up for TWC last week for football season. They told me I would need a cable card at least if I didn't want a STB. The regular HD box is $10.25/month. Each additional is around $12/month. Being the cheap ass I am, I asked about other ways and that's when they told me about the cable card if I had a Tivo. I figured I could find a used Tivo with cable card slot on craigslist for under $40 and I did. However, they also told me I would only need one cable card and that i could use a Digital Transport Adapter (DTA) for upstairs on the projector. The cable card is $2.50/month and the DTA is on .99/month. I connected the DTA last night and have all channels I pay for including HD. I haven't even connected the cable card and thinking I may take it back for another DTA instead of buying that used Tivo. The difference between the three is with the box you get all channels and features. The Cable card allows you to get all channels including premium channels but without the features such as guide, fast forward, pause and all that crap I can live without. The DTA allows all channels "except" premium channels, which I do not plan on purchasing anyway, without all the features of the box. So if you care to bypass all features mentioned above ask them about the DTA. I think that is a sales ploy that you HAVE to have at least a cable card. I asked another CSR about that and he said no that was not true. You can plug your TV straight into the wall and get all except premium as well albeit 480 instead of 1080.

Hope this helps!

James
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page