Anyway to stream or watch live TV on Amazon Fire TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 4 Unread 08-29-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyway to stream or watch live TV on Amazon Fire TV?

My Amazon Fire TV comes today. I can completely replace my HTPC (win7 box with WMC and MB/plex clients) if it can stream live TV. I have a HDHomeRun cable card reader which is also DLNA. I have a server running Plex and Media Browser server. WMC7 currently handles live TV from the HDHomeRun.

Maybe this app is the answer?
http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-US.../dp/B00I49HT1C

Anyone have a Fire TV and a HDHomeRun doing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Unread 08-29-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindaugas View Post
My Amazon Fire TV comes today. I can completely replace my HTPC (win7 box with WMC and MB/plex clients) if it can stream live TV. I have a HDHomeRun cable card reader which is also DLNA. I have a server running Plex and Media Browser server. WMC7 currently handles live TV from the HDHomeRun.

Maybe this app is the answer?
http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-US.../dp/B00I49HT1C

Anyone have a Fire TV and a HDHomeRun doing this?
You will not be able to record without a Media Center PC.
post #3 of 4 Unread 08-29-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 209
A few of us were talking about this in the HTPC forum recently. As I understand the Fire TV doesn't have an MPEG2 decoder, so it can't natively play cable tv.

XBMC allegedly has a software decoder that would work to display the content. I'd like to test it out myself.

DLNA is probably out due to the MPEG2 issue. The native DLNA client will recognize the stream as something it can't play.

To get XBMC up and running you need ServerWMC running on a PC. That will act as the recorder storage, scheduling client, and live tv buffer.

For it to work at all you need a permissive cable provider like Comcast or Verizon. The channels need to come through Copy Freely or you will never be able to open them.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #4 of 4 Unread 08-29-2014, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
A few of us were talking about this in the HTPC forum recently. As I understand the Fire TV doesn't have an MPEG2 decoder, so it can't natively play cable tv.

XBMC allegedly has a software decoder that would work to display the content. I'd like to test it out myself.

DLNA is probably out due to the MPEG2 issue. The native DLNA client will recognize the stream as something it can't play.

To get XBMC up and running you need ServerWMC running on a PC. That will act as the recorder storage, scheduling client, and live tv buffer.

For it to work at all you need a permissive cable provider like Comcast or Verizon. The channels need to come through Copy Freely or you will never be able to open them.
Hmm, my current HTPC has ServerWMC running so I supposed I could convert that to a server. I'll be playing around with it this weekend and try to let people know how it goes. My other option is to just ditch cable. Still have OTA for Broncos games and local news. I haven't yet since the cable TV comes with the internet and there aren't any savings. I do have comcast.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming