AVS Forum banner

Linksys WRT54G router and switch issues ??

816 views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  roadking00 
#1 ·
I have an older wireless router that works fine for what I need right now but I tried hooking up a Linksys 8 port gig workgroup switch EG0008W and when I hook it into my network and then try to use the switch via another wired laptop nothing at all works, no port led lights on the switch and the routers channel doesn't even light up? I take the switch out of the picture and my router no longer works at all (wired or wireless)until I reboot the router?? Its like its changing setting or something in my router ??

I had a quick online chat with Linksys support and all they said is my firmware is out of date and no updates available for it no longer?? And of course once they realized I was out of the warranty period they basically cut my free chat off....can out dated firmware cause this to happen ? I was thinking possibly it was a setting or something I have wrong in the router ?? I know its an older router but it works fine for what I need right now, is it time for me just to upgrade to a newer router to be able to have a gig switch on my home network ? I'm in the process of setting up a HTPC with a cable card and WMC.

#4 ·
Well after reading a bunch on DDWRT firmware its looking like I may be better off upgrading to a newer router with DDWRT since I'm in the process of wanting to upgrade my whole network to support HTPC duties as well as all the other perks that come with DDWRT....

Any input on a pre-flashed router like from http://www.flashrouters.com/ especially for a noob like myself just learning about these things ? I would imagine I would benefit just from the tech support if/when needed...

#9 ·
It can be a little daunting...especially if you have never tackled anything like that. But, if you were ready to upgrade your firmware...it's really not much different. It's just an alternate firmware. They have a ton of guides, and the forums are really informative, as well.

Is the switch you were using managed or unmanaged? Maybe it's not a router issue, at all.

Either way, good luck. Let us know what you decide.

#14 ·
Yeah I've been reading through them a few times and seems to be getting less intimidating the more I read them over and over....
Mot sure if its a managed one or not , never used it, got it from a friend....

I thought the same thing. I have no networking experience and I just followed someone's online posts. I flashed mine and made it an access point in my living room. Works great. I think you can do it.
Thanks, I may give it a shot here soon....

It is just a regular 10/100 switch. I'll probably end up with the Linksys SE3008 switch when I get the WRT1900AC router. The WRT54GL is just the Linux-compatible version of the WRT54. Not sure if there are any differences in OEM firmware or not.

Are you getting the power LED? If not, check the wall wart with a multimeter to see if it works or check the contact inside the switch's receptacle.
Yep, that's the only light I get (the power) my router works fine wired or wireless as normal then I try to put the switch in the mix and nothing works...then as soon as I disconnect the switch my router don't work at all (wired or wireless) until I cycle the power then all works as normal.....

#11 ·
I've been running a Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 with an 8-port switch, EZXS88W v3.3, for a number of years now without issue. I'm still using the Linksys firmware v4.30.11 and haven't flashed a new version in several years. I was going to try DD-WRT, but I'm looking into upgrading to GigaBit hardware now.

#15 · (Edited)
If it's a manged switch...you may have some conflicts, and quite possibly a VPN that is trying to establish, via the old setup. Did you try to hard re-set the switch?
Make and model link?

Edit:...looks like it is an unmanaged switch. http://support.linksys.com/en-us/support/switches/EG008W

Still may benefit from a reset.
Since it is indeed a Gig E switch...you may benefit from a Router upgrade, after all, and then you're all set.
I would keep the WRT54G, and set it up as an access point/extender, if needed. These are highly regarded routers...still.

#16 ·
No buttons on this to reset with at all, nothing in the manuals online I've found anywhere neither....But yeah I may just upgrade the router I have with 3rd party firmware and try it , if it don't do the job I'll look into a newer router then and use this was as an extender if needed (so long as it don't become a brick in the process)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.