Playing music from MacBook to PS3 = audio drops out - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Old 09-03-2014, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Playing music from MacBook to PS3 = audio drops out

I have a 2014 Retina MacBook Pro and a PS3. I've tried streaming FLAC, AIFF, and WAV versions of the same files (downloaded from Bandcamp). Each one will drop the audio every minute or so for a second or two and then resume playing. I can stream 1080p H.264 video just fine, but not a simple WAV file... ?

Here's a screenshot of Universal Media Server, if that provides any info. I have a TP-LINK N router. The PS3 is connected with Ethernet cable.

As a professional Audio/Video engineer, it's absurd how difficult it is to get consumer devices to communicate correctly and play nice.

I tried using a USB thumb drive. I tried 3 times to format the drive with my MacBook Disk Utility, but every time I put it in the PS3 it would say there were no tracks. I even put FLAC, WAV, and AIFF files on it - none of them were recognized.

I ended up copying the files to my phone and plugging it directly in to the receiver. Even then, there were a couple small audio glitches. It's really unacceptable for any system to be unable to handle uncompressed, 16-bit 44.1kHz WAV files perfectly. As a focused music listener, it completely ruins the moment when the audio glitches out.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just to confirm, is the audio pausing and then resuming (like a buffer issue) or is the audio dropping out ("muting")?
Sponsored Links